How to pair a Wireless Xbox 360 Controller and fix Camera Spin

Cybore

Mar 7, 2011
Playing like 2.5 hours of dead trigger with the wireless controller and brightness at low dropped caused my battery life to go from 50% all the way to zero. The N7 suddenly said powering off, which I thought was weird since it never showed the popup warning of low battery. In the battery stats, it said dead trigger consumed 17% of the battery. I also had high battery usage for media server about 15%, i wonder if that's related to the otg setup?

How much battery life are you guys getting on dead trigger with the wireless 360 controller setup?

Last edited:

vzwty

Jan 30, 2008
Playing like 2.5 hours of dead trigger with the wireless controller and brightness at max dropped caused my battery life to go from 50% all the way to zero. The N7 suddenly said powering off, which I thought was weird since it never showed the popup warning of low battery. In the battery stats, it said dead trigger consumed 17% of the battery. I also had high battery usage for media server about 15%, i wonder if that's related to the otg setup?

How much battery life are you guys getting on dead trigger with the wireless 360 controller setup?
I noticed the same while playing. I'm pretty sure the media server is the otg USB as that's what mine said was using a lot of battery.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Mindemon

Mar 14, 2011
hey i was wondering if you can help me i did excatly as you said in the guide unfortunately i didn't have 0291.kl file so i downloaded in the link you provided managed to copy it to the folder but when i try the command: chmod 644 Vendor_045e_Product_0719.kl it says no file or dictionary which is weird because i can see the file getting created when i type ls nothing seems to work

here the log:
[email protected]:/ $ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
[email protected]:/ $ su
[email protected]:/ # cd /system/usr/keylayout/
[email protected]:/system/usr/keylayout # mount -o remount,rw /system
[email protected]:/system/usr/keylayout # ls
AVRCP.kl
Generic.kl
Vendor_045e_Prodcut_0719.kl
Vendor_045e_Product_028e.kl
Vendor_045e_Product_0291.kl
Vendor_046d_Product_c216.kl
Vendor_046d_Product_c294.kl
Vendor_046d_Product_c299.kl
Vendor_046d_Product_c532.kl
Vendor_054c_Product_0268.kl
Vendor_05ac_Product_0239.kl
Vendor_22b8_Product_093d.kl
gpio-keys.kl
qwerty.kl
tegra-kbc.kl
[email protected]:/system/usr/keylayout # chmod 644 Vendor_045e_Product_0719.kl
Unable to chmod Vendor_045e_Product_0719.kl: No such file or directory
10|[email protected]:/system/usr/keylayout #

Last edited:

sleeplessninja

Mar 14, 2011
Amherst
hey i was wondering if you can help me i did excatly as you said in the guide unfortunately i didn't have 0291.kl file so i downloaded in the link you provided managed to copy it to the folder but when i try the command: chmod 644 Vendor_045e_Product_0719.kl it says no file or dictionary which is weird because i can see the file getting created when i type ls nothing seems to work

here the log:
[email protected]:/ $ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
[email protected]:/ $ su
[email protected]:/ # cd /system/usr/keylayout/
[email protected]:/system/usr/keylayout # mount -o remount,rw /system
[email protected]:/system/usr/keylayout # ls
AVRCP.kl
Generic.kl
Vendor_045e_Prodcut_0719.kl
Vendor_045e_Product_028e.kl
Vendor_045e_Product_0291.kl
Vendor_046d_Product_c216.kl
Vendor_046d_Product_c294.kl
Vendor_046d_Product_c299.kl
Vendor_046d_Product_c532.kl
Vendor_054c_Product_0268.kl
Vendor_05ac_Product_0239.kl
Vendor_22b8_Product_093d.kl
gpio-keys.kl
qwerty.kl
tegra-kbc.kl
[email protected]:/system/usr/keylayout # chmod 644 Vendor_045e_Product_0719.kl
Unable to chmod Vendor_045e_Product_0719.kl: No such file or directory
10|[email protected]:/system/usr/keylayout #
if you type in the terminal : cat Vendor_045e_Product_0719.kl

do you see the text of the file?

AsymmetrySeven

Aug 9, 2012
Hi Sleepless,

I'm hoping you can help with this particular issue with the wireless dongle and Dead Trigger (I don't have any other Tegra games to test with -- I'm assuming the issue persists for them as well). I'm using an Acer Iconia A700 (rooted), ICS 4.0.4.

This problem doesn't exist on emulators, only Dead Trigger (and presumably other Tegra games where you can't explicitly map the input).

Ok, so the first time I plugged in the dongle, the "created profile xxx_0791.kl" popped up quickly and I booted up Dead Trigger. I was able to use the controller without having to root or do anything special. Both sticks worked, all buttons worked, with the exception of the game recognizing the D-Pad as the same buttons as the X,Y,A,B. Not a big deal, I was just happy it worked.

Second run of the game, the right analog stick stopped working. I tried re-pairing, different controllers, no good. I was planning on rooting anyway, so I went ahead and rooted it.

After rooting, I started up Dead Trigger, and lo and behold, I had both analog sticks working again.

I started it a second time and the right stick stopped working again.

I then followed your steps, first making the xxx_0791.kl file just like the default; I got the 180 spin error (as expected). After that, I replaced it with the version of the file you posted. The right analog stick didn't register for aiming control.

Notice, the stick still provided input. This is what Dead Trigger reported (in the customize gamepad section):

Right stick Up = Joystick Axis 4+
Right stick Down = Joystick Axis 4-
Right stick Left = Joystick Axis 3+
Right stick Right = Joystick Axis 3-

Left stick Up = Joystick Up
Left stick Down = Joystick Down
Left stick Right = Joystick Right
Left stick Left = Joystick Left

Left Trigger = Joystick Axis 5-
Right Trigger = Joystick Axis 6-

This jibes with the key layout file's description for sticks, but the right analog never seemed to be picked up properly.

Do you have any idea as to why this might be happening? Is there a way to figure out what Dead Trigger is expecting for right analog stick input and re-map it?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

sleeplessninja

Mar 14, 2011
Amherst
Do you have any idea as to why this might be happening? Is there a way to figure out what Dead Trigger is expecting for right analog stick input and re-map it?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
If you go to /system/usr/keychars (make sure /system is remounted just like the /system/usr/keylayout ) Do you have a Vendor_045e_Product_0719.kcm . What could be the case is .kcm generic file is a little bit different an interpreting the controls differently (this is a hunch). I will attach the file in the OP so you can add it. Please let me know if it works. You need to apply the permissions with chmod for this just like the keylayout file.

Reactions: AsymmetrySeven

sleeplessninja

Mar 14, 2011
Amherst
Where can I can the OTG cable please?
Amazon is your best bet. If you search for OTG cable many kinds should show up. There are threads for OTG cables that are confirmed working, so check that though in the Nexus 7 Accessory thread. But my motorola OTG cable works wonderful but is one of the more expensive.

sleeplessninja

Mar 14, 2011
Amherst
Will it work with wire gamepad, like Nazar, Xbox 360 Wire or chinese gamepad?
the .KL file i have attached is for the official xbox wired gamepad. It seems like a hit or miss from seeing the forum members post on whether your system has it. But you should be able to plug in play with the wired controller ( I was able to ) however if the file isn't there, you need to root and manually place it. At least for this solution to work.

potentiality

Jul 24, 2012
Does this have something to do with the otg USB cord as well? I have tried 2 controllers. One being the Xbox wireless the other being a wired Thrust master Run N Drive. BOTH have the second analog stick up/down axis viewpoint stuck down in ShadowGun. Even though their site lists the Xbox as being compatible. I don't have a spinning viewport, though if it was the other axis I'm sure it would be.

AsymmetrySeven

Aug 9, 2012
If you go to /system/usr/keychars (make sure /system is remounted just like the /system/usr/keylayout ) Do you have a Vendor_045e_Product_0719.kcm . What could be the case is .kcm generic file is a little bit different an interpreting the controls differently (this is a hunch). I will attach the file in the OP so you can add it. Please let me know if it works. You need to apply the permissions with chmod for this just like the keylayout file.
I put the files in their corresponding places and it still didn't work.

The buttons had no effect, but the sticks were reported as working. From the customize gamepad window, the sticks and triggers still showed input (I could still assign actions such as fire and reload to the triggers and sticks) but I was still unable to aim. The buttons were unassignable (and the D-Pad, as they are just buttons).

However, I did find a solution -- temporarily.

Microsoft was being tricky, it appears. There is another product ID that the controller corresponds to; Product_028e (in the layout file it's listed as Xbox 360 USB Controller).

I copied your file to xxx_product_028e.kcm and xxx._028e.kl, and rebooted. The first boot of Dead Trigger worked; I assigned every button (except for the D-Pad, it didn't work), and I was able to play properly.

I quit Dead Trigger. I then unplugged the wireless dongle, plugged it back in, and tried Dead Trigger again. The right analog stick stopped working.

I checked the gamepad customization menu, and all the settings were cleared, as if I had reset to default (but I didn't).

I'm kind of at a loss. I have kcm and kl files for three models of controllers; the 0291, 0719 and 028e, all are the same (kcm and kl respectively), all with appropriate permissions.

The fact that it worked, once, after a reboot, and then not, really irks me. I'm kind of at a loss here.

shadowmonkey1974

Dec 5, 2010
From what I have heard yes.Microsoft use there own stuff to send and receive a signal so nexus WiFi or Bluetooth won't work.I was hoping that I could just pair up my 360 controller and good to go. Shame such a shame

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Aug 27, 2012
Work with Onlive?

OP, thanks putting this together!

A few questions:

(1) How does using the receiver affect battery life? I've read that its a real battery drainer.

(2) I want to use an Xbox controller with Onlive. Can anyone confirm that this setup will work with Onlive games like Saints Row The 3rd? (Currently on sale for $12.50 by the way).

(3) If this system doesn't work with onlive, does anyone know if the I can connect a wireless controller with with the play and charge kit USB charger and OTG connector?

(4) If not any of the above, will a regular wireless controller work with Onlive on android?

Thanks!

Soco

BrianDigital

OP, thanks putting this together!

A few questions:

(1) How does using the receiver affect battery life? I've read that its a real battery drainer.

(2) I want to use an Xbox controller with Onlive. Can anyone confirm that this setup will work with Onlive games like Saints Row The 3rd? (Currently on sale for $12.50 by the way).

(3) If this system doesn't work with onlive, does anyone know if the I can connect a wireless controller with with the play and charge kit USB charger and OTG connector?

(4) If not any of the above, will a regular wireless controller work with Onlive on android?

Thanks!

Soco
Just a wired 360 controller or the onlive controller will work with it

However there is a modified apk for onlive that accepts any gamepad. I'd link but at work and don't have the time to pull it up. If I remember I'll either link or attach the apk later

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Aug 27, 2012
Just a wired 360 controller or the onlive controller will work with it

However there is a modified apk for onlive that accepts any gamepad. I'd link but at work and don't have the time to pull it up. If I remember I'll either link or attach the apk later

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
I think the difference in choosing for me will be whether the receiver drains the N7's battery too much. I guess I'll just stick with the wired controller since my main source for gaming on the N7 will be Onlive.

ult_nrg

Sep 27, 2009
I put the files in their corresponding places and it still didn't work.

The buttons had no effect, but the sticks were reported as working. From the customize gamepad window, the sticks and triggers still showed input (I could still assign actions such as fire and reload to the triggers and sticks) but I was still unable to aim. The buttons were unassignable (and the D-Pad, as they are just buttons).

However, I did find a solution -- temporarily.

Microsoft was being tricky, it appears. There is another product ID that the controller corresponds to; Product_028e (in the layout file it's listed as Xbox 360 USB Controller).

I copied your file to xxx_product_028e.kcm and xxx._028e.kl, and rebooted. The first boot of Dead Trigger worked; I assigned every button (except for the D-Pad, it didn't work), and I was able to play properly.

I quit Dead Trigger. I then unplugged the wireless dongle, plugged it back in, and tried Dead Trigger again. The right analog stick stopped working.

I checked the gamepad customization menu, and all the settings were cleared, as if I had reset to default (but I didn't).

I'm kind of at a loss. I have kcm and kl files for three models of controllers; the 0291, 0719 and 028e, all are the same (kcm and kl respectively), all with appropriate permissions.

The fact that it worked, once, after a reboot, and then not, really irks me. I'm kind of at a loss here.
Mine is just refusing to work altogether.

I have just a generic JB tab and had the 028e.kl file as Xbox controller. I now have all three; 0291, 0719 and 028e (both .kl and .kcm) in appropriate folders with all permissions set. Multiple reboots and the tab just not recognise the controller at all. (Even tried the USB/BT Joystick Center 6 app from market; I do a scan and just nothing comes up).

The OTG cable works fine (have it on a kb/mouse without a problem) and the xbox controller works in my pc, so nothing appears faulty.

When I plug the wireless adapter in USB the solid light comes up and if I sync the controller it pairs, android just refuses to acknowledge the device