• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How To Guide How To. Period.

Search This thread
For those of you who don't know me, I am twistedumbrella. I have been a recognized developer on xda longer than many of the mods have been members. All this means is that I know a few things about getting the best experience when moving to a new device.

Disclaimer: This guide applies to any device, but has been posted here due to the large following and limited availability at the time of writing.

How to ask a question:

Give the reader enough information to understand what you have done, what you are willing to do, and what you are really looking to find out. If you say "I need a taco" then you are going to get a list of Taco Bell locations anywhere in the world. Asking for help with a phone is no different.

If there are four different versions and your issue is not the hardware, that is a good place to start. If you don't have a computer, then let others know. Think about what details you would need to figure out a problem with something you know and try to provide the same quality for your problem.​

How to write a guide:
  • Make the purpose clear. If you are providing a theme for a Note 10+ that will not look or function correctly on a Note 10, that is important to specify.

• Break the steps down into logical pieces. When there is a time component between actions, it is best to group them together.

• Write with the mindset that nobody is going to read ahead. If you want to explain the purpose of a step and it isn't part of the action, split them up.
    The average person couldn't care less why something works as long as it works. Once they hit explanation, they may skip to the next step. If more important details followed the explanation, expect that to be a missed step for a lot of people reporting issues.​

How to search the forum:

This is one that a lot of people struggle with, but not because they didn't try. Everyone speaks differently and that is reflected in how you write. Think of search like adding keywords to a YouTube video. As long as all of the important words are there, the stuff between them can vary.​
If you want to get to recovery mode on a Samsung Galaxy Note 10, try searching "Note 10 recovery" and see if you find something. If there are a lot of results because another manufacturer also has a Note 10, then try "Galaxy Note 10 recovery" and see if that helps. On xda, you can always start by going to the section for the device, which can cut down on a lot of unrelated results.​
Sometimes you find the results you want in the "wrong" thread. In most cases, you get to the custom recovery the same way you would stock. There is a good chance you may still find an answer by skimming over a thread publishing a custom recovery.​
Be aware of the risks before taking action. Assuming we are still searching for that Note 10 recovery mode, a result from Samsung is pretty reliable. Make sure someone has verified the same information applies to your device specifically. The fastest way to brick a device is using the wrong files and there are a lot of sites and authors out there that will assume every Samsung is the same.​

Please note: Samsung Galaxy Note 10 was chosen as an example because Redmi has also released a Note 10, which demonstrates some of the points.

Last edited:
1. Search before posting.

Use one of our search functions before posting or creating a new thread. Whether you have a question or just something new to share, it's very likely that someone has already asked that question or shared that news.

Anyone interested in a topic will follow the thread, which notifies of new posts. By default, nobody is following a newly created thread. If you make a duplicate thread, you not only make it harder to share information, but rob yourself of being heard by the people most interested.

Timmmmaaahh! deserves time to enjoy the forums, not just clean them.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For those of you who don't know me, I am twistedumbrella. I have been a recognized developer on xda longer than many of the mods have been members. All this means is that I know a few things about getting the best experience when moving to a new device.

Disclaimer: This guide applies to any device, but has been posted here due to the large following and limited availability at the time of writing.

How to ask a question:

Give the reader enough information to understand what you have done, what you are willing to do, and what you are really looking to find out. If you say "I need a taco" then you are going to get a list of Taco Bell locations anywhere in the world. Asking for help with a phone is no different.

If there are four different versions and your issue is not the hardware, that is a good place to start. If you don't have a computer, then let others know. Think about what details you would need to figure out a problem with something you know and try to provide the same quality for your problem.​

How to write a guide:
    • Make the purpose clear. If you are providing a theme for a Note 10+ that will not look or function correctly on a Note 10, that is important to specify.

• Break the steps down into logical pieces. When there is a time component between actions, it is best to group them together.

• Write with the mindset that nobody is going to read ahead. If you want to explain the purpose of a step and it isn't part of the action, split them up.
      The average person couldn't care less why something works as long as it works. Once they hit explanation, they may skip to the next step. If more important details followed the explanation, expect that to be a missed step for a lot of people reporting issues.​

How to search the forum:

This is one that a lot of people struggle with, but not because they didn't try. Everyone speaks differently and that is reflected in how you write. Think of search like adding keywords to a YouTube video. As long as all of the important words are there, the stuff between them can vary.​
    If you want to get to recovery mode on a Samsung Galaxy Note 10, try searching "Note 10 recovery" and see if you find something. If there are a lot of results because another manufacturer also has a Note 10, then try "Galaxy Note 10 recovery" and see if that helps. On xda, you can always start by going to the section for the device, which can cut down on a lot of unrelated results.​
    Sometimes you find the results you want in the "wrong" thread. In most cases, you get to the custom recovery the same way you would stock. There is a good chance you may still find an answer by skimming over a thread publishing a custom recovery.​
    Be aware of the risks before taking action. Assuming we are still searching for that Note 10 recovery mode, a result from Samsung is pretty reliable. Make sure someone has verified the same information applies to your device specifically. The fastest way to brick a device is using the wrong files and there are a lot of sites and authors out there that will assume every Samsung is the same.​

Please note: Samsung Galaxy Note 10 was chosen as an example because Redmi has also released a Note 10, which demonstrates some of the points.
    This should be sticky.