• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[HOW TO] - [Post Kernel last_kmsg] - [make Nova Launcher fully expand(desktop mode)]

Search This thread

ciprianruse88

Mar 14, 2012
Graceland
Hy Guys,

I've started this thread to share some tips i know about how to post kernel bugs(last_kmsg) with all the details for newly users :) and how to make nova launcher fully expand in expanded desktop mode.So here are the tips:

Some Help about posting kernel bugs - last_kmsg:

After you have a random reboot do this to get last_kmsg.txt file:

- via Terminal Emulator apk form play store : do this:

*open the app, type: ,,su'' ,hit enter , type(without all the spaces) : cat(space)/proc/last_kmsg(space)>(space)/sdcard/last_kmsg.txt and hit enter.Then go to your internal memory with any file explorer and you will finde the last_kmsg file and please post it on the kernel that you have thread!

-via Gnex Toolkit by mskip or Adb

*connect the phone to the pc via usb cable,open gnex toolkit, choose the android version then tipe 25 as in 25th option in the toolkit menu(‘’Open a command promp…’’) and that will open a separate window to tipe adb command and then tipe(don't forget to press space like I show you bellow) : (space)adb(space)shell(space)cat(space)/proc/last_kmsg(space)>(space)kmsg.txt and then hit enter.After it finish type exit and go to gnex toolkit folder on the pc and there you will finde a kmsg.txt document. Take the file and post it on the kernel that you have thread!

About nova launcher:

*if you want expanded desktop to work properly you need to go to nova settings/hold volume up,release/hold volume down,release and you will see a pop-up that will say that Labs are activated/then scroll to labs settings in nova settings and disable Stock Wallpaper Position.Enjoy full desktop mode(you need to have a rom that supports expanded desktop mode) !

Some more other tips about kernel controls from ak kernel wiki(Thank you Anarkia for letting me do this):

!For some of this commands you need to have usb debugging enabled(tap on build number several times to enable developer option and then enable usb debugging if you are on 4.2.x roms)

* Analyze Kernel Dump Log:
To view kernel log in realtime:

connect usb cable and launch console and type:
-adb shell watch "dmesg | tail -40"
or
-adb shell while true;do dmesg -c;sleep 1;done

* Verify Problem with phone Power Consuption

- open terminal emulation or adb shell
write "powertop" and then press enter

* Recommended Applications for kernel use:

-Trickster app adds full control to kernel features --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1768315

-BetterBatteryStats app adds battery history back to Android --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1179809

-CF-Bench app adds CPU and memory benchmark tool --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1134768

-CF-Perfmon app adds floating performance monitor tool --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1933284

If you want to grab quick logs without adb or terminal emulator, I recomment this app from playstore:
n8px.png

ENJOY!

IMPORTANT!
DON’T FORGET TO RATE THE THREAD AND PRESS THE THANKS BUTTON !
:good:

Last edited:

MBQ_

Sep 3, 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
MBQonXDA.com
Tip: Avoid eating yellow snow. :)

No, but seriously..

More tips!!

Tip: To enable developer options, tap the build number in settings>about 7 times.
Tip: To properly enable themes, go to theme chooser, select 'system' reboot, apply the theme afterwards, reboot.
Tip: To quickly pull down your quick settings, use two fingers when pulling down the status bar, instead of using 1 like people typically do.
Tip: In ROMs with the SMS limit, go to settings>security, scroll to the bottom, click on the SMS message limit option, and choose your desired number.

sk8oldschool74

Jul 14, 2012
Let's all remember to carry over the AK love to C.R.88's thread of devotion to AK... If your not a loving member of AK this is probably a thread not for you!!!

Great job C.R. love ya bro keep up the good work my friend!!! ;):):beer:

Whoops didn't realise this was not the AK off topic thread but never the less C.R.88 has the same values!!! ;):):beer:

sent from my AK and xylon oil slicked g nexus!!!!

Last edited:

ciprianruse88

Mar 14, 2012
Graceland
Let's all remember to carry over the AK love to C.R.88's thread of devotion to AK... If your not a loving member of AK this is probably a thread not for you!!!

Great job C.R. love ya bro keep up the good work my friend!!! ;):):beer:

Whoops didn't realise this was not the AK off topic thread but never the less C.R.88 has the same values!!! ;):):beer:

sent from my AK and xylon oil slicked g nexus!!!!

This thread is for all newly users to help them understand better how to ''play'' with their kernel whatever that kernel is!:good:

beekay201

Nov 8, 2010
okay, so i'll give OP credit for creating the thread; but this information has been around for quite some time, not sure what the fuss is all about.
last_kmsg appears after a reboot;
you want to debug real time, 'adb shell dmesg'.

ciprianruse88

Mar 14, 2012
Graceland
okay, so i'll give OP credit for creating the thread; but this information has been around for quite some time, not sure what the fuss is all about.

Thank you sir.i've created this thread for newly users just to finde information a little quicker and don't ask questions on threads like ,,how to get last_kmsg'' because i've seen it milion times plus you see everywhere reports from users like ,,i had a reboot...it was when bla bla bla''...but nobody post last_kmsg because they don't read wiki and so the dev of the kernel can't be helped and so the user can't be helped.Thanks:good:

Last edited:

ak

Feb 19, 2011
Ak Land Valley
ak.hiddenbytes.org

Right man .. but i want to say how many time people have asked me this info.

We are so confident that it is so easy. :angel:

ciprianruse88

Mar 14, 2012
Graceland
How else should I have rebooted?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

The last_kmsg is writen when the problem ocure and the device reboots by itself.Next time when the freeze happends wait 10 seconds and see if the device will reboot...btw...what kernel are you on and what are your settings?...maybe i can help :thumbup:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hy Guys,

I've started this thread to share some tips i know about how to post kernel bugs(last_kmsg) with all the details for newly users :) and how to make nova launcher fully expand in expanded desktop mode.So here are the tips:

Some Help about posting kernel bugs - last_kmsg:

After you have a random reboot do this to get last_kmsg.txt file:

- via Terminal Emulator apk form play store : do this:

*open the app, type: ,,su'' ,hit enter , type(without all the spaces) : cat(space)/proc/last_kmsg(space)>(space)/sdcard/last_kmsg.txt and hit enter.Then go to your internal memory with any file explorer and you will finde the last_kmsg file and please post it on the kernel that you have thread!

-via Gnex Toolkit by mskip or Adb

*connect the phone to the pc via usb cable,open gnex toolkit, choose the android version then tipe 25 as in 25th option in the toolkit menu(‘’Open a command promp…’’) and that will open a separate window to tipe adb command and then tipe(don't forget to press space like I show you bellow) : (space)adb(space)shell(space)cat(space)/proc/last_kmsg(space)>(space)kmsg.txt and then hit enter.After it finish type exit and go to gnex toolkit folder on the pc and there you will finde a kmsg.txt document. Take the file and post it on the kernel that you have thread!

About nova launcher:

*if you want expanded desktop to work properly you need to go to nova settings/hold volume up,release/hold volume down,release and you will see a pop-up that will say that Labs are activated/then scroll to labs settings in nova settings and disable Stock Wallpaper Position.Enjoy full desktop mode(you need to have a rom that supports expanded desktop mode) !

Some more other tips about kernel controls from ak kernel wiki(Thank you Anarkia for letting me do this):

!For some of this commands you need to have usb debugging enabled(tap on build number several times to enable developer option and then enable usb debugging if you are on 4.2.x roms)

* Analyze Kernel Dump Log:
    To view kernel log in realtime:

connect usb cable and launch console and type:
    -adb shell watch "dmesg | tail -40"
    or
    -adb shell while true;do dmesg -c;sleep 1;done

* Verify Problem with phone Power Consuption

- open terminal emulation or adb shell
    write "powertop" and then press enter

* Recommended Applications for kernel use:

-Trickster app adds full control to kernel features --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1768315

-BetterBatteryStats app adds battery history back to Android --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1179809

-CF-Bench app adds CPU and memory benchmark tool --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1134768

-CF-Perfmon app adds floating performance monitor tool --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1933284

If you want to grab quick logs without adb or terminal emulator, I recomment this app from playstore:
    n8px.png

ENJOY!

IMPORTANT!
    DON’T FORGET TO RATE THE THREAD AND PRESS THE THANKS BUTTON !
    :good:
    nice thread my friend:good:
    Fantastic ... you can share your experience with kernel troubleshooting ...
    Feel free to use ak wiki info. :fingers-crossed:
    5 star for me.
    Fantastic ... you can share your experience with kernel troubleshooting ...
    Feel free to use ak wiki info. :fingers-crossed:
    5 star for me.

Thank you all!:good:
    darn..forgot to press the thank button on this great post......done :good: