• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How to re-lock bootloader

Search This thread

SakazukiAka

May 18, 2019
A lot of the reading I've been doing, people are saying your phone needs to be on and active for 7 days for the grayed out OEM unlock to become active. I'm currently half way there so on the seventh day i will report back if this is in fact true.

However, now that Knox has been tripped my phone wont be sell able anyway. Even if i get the bootloader locked again and the message is gone, once Knox is tripped there are certain apps you wont be able to use... Samsung Pay, Google Pay and even Netflix i'm finding. Looks like i'm stuck with it.

Hey, can you please report back. Could you re-lock your bootloader? And did the "Bootloader unlocked" warning message you get everytime when booting disappear? Would be nice if you could tell us :)

DetourToNirvana

Jan 3, 2015
Hyderabad
It works! (Apache style. Yes, I identify as an Apache helicopter))

I was thinking of a way to block the bootloader, and I came up with something very basic, so please who can try the method, share whether it works or not.

1. Turn off your device.
2. Press Bixby + Volume Down and connect your device to a PC to start the download mode
3. Press and hold the volume until the window to unlock or lock the boot loader appears. This will erase your data and restart automatically.
4.- Press the vol (- or +) button that best suits you. :fingers-crossed:
Ready!

Luck my friend´s

The above specified method works. Thank you for laying it out for us, oh kind soul!

My story: I had earlier unlocked the bootloader in hopes of rooting my S10e, but backed off after the warnings regarding tripping Knox, as listed on this thread earlier. Having gotten to this point, it was completely pointless to keep my bootloader unlocked, since Samsung Pay and Health would no longer work. So I followed the above steps, and my phone's bootloader is now successfully locked.

How to re-lock bootloader, additional info: Just to clarify (since I got confused), after you complete step 2 above (press Bixby + Volume Down and connect phone to PC), the download mode appears (blue background screen). You can now release both the buttons. Read the instructions & options on the screen. From here, long-pressing the Volume-Up button will erase your phone and re-lock your bootloader.
@SakazukiAka: tagging you for your attention, since you asked.

chalofito

Apr 18, 2014
Veracruz
The above specified method works. Thank you for laying it out for us, oh kind soul!

My story: I had earlier unlocked the bootloader in hopes of rooting my S10e, but backed off after the warnings regarding tripping Knox, as listed on this thread earlier. Having gotten to this point, it was completely pointless to keep my bootloader unlocked, since Samsung Pay and Health would no longer work. So I followed the above steps, and my phone's bootloader is now successfully locked.

How to re-lock bootloader, additional info: Just to clarify (since I got confused), after you complete step 2 above (press Bixby + Volume Down and connect phone to PC), the download mode appears (blue background screen). You can now release both the buttons. Read the instructions & options on the screen. From here, long-pressing the Volume-Up button will erase your phone and re-lock your bootloader.

Thanks for checking the method, I'm glad it worked :victory:. I made some changes to the instructions based on your comment, Thank you I hope this helps for many more.:highfive:

akkaria

Jun 13, 2017
Google Play and Netflix? Those shouldn't be getting triggered by Knox being tripped, they're not Samsung apps nor do they tap into any Samsung service... are you sure they're not working?

So it seems keeping the phone on for 7 days doesnt do anything. However, i believe the reason Netflix and possible Google Pay aren't working is due to my device no longer have 'Play Protect certificate'. I've been trying to get it re-certified but not having much luck.

As for re-locking the bootloader, again no luck here no matter what i've tried.

akkaria

Jun 13, 2017
Thanks for checking the method, I'm glad it worked :victory:. I made some changes to the instructions based on your comment, Thank you I hope this helps for many more.:highfive:

Thanks for posting this. So in my back and forth for a few months now i did end up getting the bootloader re locked using this method... but then i tried to re-root the phone again and unlocked it which is where i am currently at.

I tried this method again but now im at another issue. I do remember previously there being 3 options. Press the vol up button, hold the vol up(this relocks the bootloader) and vol down to cancel. Is there any reason why i wouldnt be able to see the 'hold vol up' option anymore? I only have the two options of pressing vol up or down.

SakazukiAka

May 18, 2019
Did someone actually manage to re lock his bootloader after installing magisk and with that effectively rooting his S10? I have a feeling you can only use the method described only as lang as you have not rooted the phone.

Extreemator

Jul 26, 2011
It's the same on mine, not that I need to lock the oem but I'm more concerned about when it's time to sell it back.

No one is going to buy a phone that say Everytime it boots "security issue"
Most won't care. Omg security issue. Danger.
PS: i don't even see why this thread is here, there is no point of it. If you need to sell the phone, just sell it. I don't understand this behavior, you've did it and now think that you should undone it as at is something shameful.

@DetourToNirvana
Why did you backed off. You see i can use any piece of plastic to pay for anything, but can't replace titanium with plastic for example.

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

Pretend all you want but if Knox is tripped, it would take an idiot to pay anything near what it's worth.
Still raving threads here with your expert opinion. Wow knox. K N O X. It adds so much value to it so without it it becomes negative.
Everybody just thinking how they need know on their phone to use it as credit card, because it's if maximum importance. And health, without sung health you will stop sleeping and die in 3 months.

Last edited:

Tel864

Nov 22, 2011
Greenville
PS: i don't even see why this thread is here, there is no point of it. If you need to sell the phone, just sell it. I don't understand this behavior, you've did it and now think that you should undone it as at is something shameful.

@DetourToNirvana
Why did you backed off. You see i can use any piece of plastic to pay for anything, but can't replace titanium with plastic for example.

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

Still raving threads here with your expert opinion. Wow knox. K N O X. It adds so much value to it so without it it becomes negative.
Everybody just thinking how they need know on their phone to use it as credit card, because it's if maximum importance. And health, without sung health you will stop sleeping and die in 3 months.

Useless drivel and incomprehensible rambling. Find a rock and crawl underneath it.

SoNic67

Apr 10, 2011
Rooting phones is stupid. I did it too and found out that it adds absolutely nothing of value, nothing that cannot be accomplished by other means.

They sometimes cannot be re-locked, I found that on Moto, never tried on Samsung (I have the US version anyway).
Relocking on Android it's supposed to be done adding those lines to the re-flashing in ADB (at the beginning and at the end. Note that the first two lines have to be repeated like that, it's not a mistake.

fastboot oem lock begin
fastboot oem lock begin
fastboot oem lock
fastboot reboot

Another option might be... remove every google user from the phone and reset to factory (wipe data).
Samsung introduced a "VaultKeeper" service, which adds another "lock" on top of the OEM lock of the bootloader. By default the service will "relock" the bootloader after data is wiped. Only after the initial setup will it verify the OEM lock option and changes the bootloader state accordingly.

Last edited:

akkaria

Jun 13, 2017
Rooting phones is stupid. I did it too and found out that it adds absolutely nothing of value, nothing that cannot be accomplished by other means.

They sometimes cannot be re-locked, I found that on Moto, never tried on Samsung (I have the US version anyway).
Relocking on Android it's supposed to be done adding those lines to the re-flashing in ADB (at the beginning and at the end. Note that the first two lines have to be repeated like that, it's not a mistake.

Another option might be... remove every google user from the phone and reset to factory (wipe data).
Samsung introduced a "VaultKeeper" service, which adds another "lock" on top of the OEM lock of the bootloader. By default the service will "relock" the bootloader after data is wiped. Only after the initial setup will it verify the OEM lock option and changes the bootloader state accordingly.

The last time i rooted a Samsung was probably 5+ years ago. After i rooted the S10 i realized, as you said its kind of useless now. For my needs anyway.

I've tried relocking it through ADB but didn't have any luck. The device is detected initially but when i boot into "download mode" my computer cannot find the device anymore. Most of what im reading says it's a driver issue but no matter what i try, i cant get it to recognise my device which is weird because Odin detects it.

I might give what you said a try, removing the google users and wiping and see how i go. I have decided to keep the phone but i'd still like to work out how to relock the bootloader. Im sure other people will find it helpful as well as being able to use all google play apps as my device is now not a registered device on google play so i cant use apps like google pay and even netflix.

Mar 8, 2019
Lisbon

Please, enlighten me then: how do you get Substratum to theme third party apps on your phone, in Android 9.0 Pie - which is what runs on the S10, unfortunately - without root?
Tell me exactly how do you accomplish properly Dark Themed (ie. using black) Google Drive, Snapseed, Play Store, Chrome, Instagram and WhatsApp WITHOUT Substratum.

And before you suggest modded versions of some of those apps, let me remind you those that exist are based on very old versions of each of the apps and seldom updated. So that's not at all an option.

Reactions: lukjod

SoNic67

Apr 10, 2011
Please, enlighten me then: how do you get Substratum to theme third party apps on your phone, in Android 9.0 Pie - which is what runs on the S10, unfortunately - without root?
Tell me exactly how do you accomplish properly Dark Themed (ie. using black) Google Drive, Snapseed, Play Store, Chrome, Instagram and WhatsApp WITHOUT Substratum.
And before you suggest modded versions of some of those apps, let me remind you those that exist are based on very old versions of each of the apps and seldom updated. So that's not at all an option.
You are kidding? That's why you need root - to use dark themes???
Or rather to use cracked versions of apps (no adds, free skipping)?

When I had root, always something was going awry. Always something would update and break other things. And that was on moto, that allows officially unlocking the bootloader (but ageing to lose warranty in process).

For me knox is more important. And Samsung Payment (works even with magnetic card readers).

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019
Lisbon
You are kidding? That's why you need root - to use dark themes???
Or rather to use cracked versions of apps (no adds, free skipping)?
When I had root, alwyays something was going awry. Always something would update and break other things.

I told what I use it for. I don't like apps without proper black themes and after 3 years enjoying them on Samsung phones without root (before Google played the c*nt card and blocked access to overlays by demanding OEM sigantures). And I will not go back to the sh*t UI versions the apps have without a proper black theme on theme.
So yes, that's why I want root. And unless you can provide an alternative to root to have that back on Android Pie - which you won't - then your claim that things root achieves can be achieved through other ways.

I don't care about your experience with root. In fact, no one cares. But before you go around acting pompous and all-knowing, remember that. You have no business with why others want root. We buy our phones, they belong to us, we're free to do with the hardware and the software whatever the Hell we want.
You want Knox and Samsung Pay? Good. Don't root.
I rather have all apps properly themed than have any of those, to me, absolutely useless features.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    bootloader screen doesnt show up even i press volume keys while in download mode screen..
    please help..i need to take my phone to service to checkup the heating issue

Locking and unlocking the bootloader on the Galaxy S10 and Removing Root

During the last few days I have locked, unlocked, locked and unlocked again, probably 15 or 20 times to test various scenarios.
    Please remember, each time you lock or unlock the bootloader all of your data is wiped.. any Root will also be gone. You will also be needing your current stock firmware.

Scenario 1. Your phone is rooted with Magisk.
    Go into Developers options and check OEM options, the switch must be ON (to the right). If it isn't turn it ON.
    Turn off your phone. Press and hold the Bixby and Volume-down button, then connect with USB to your computer. (The cable shouldn't be connected until after you press the buttons).
    Within seconds of USB connection the Download screen will appear. You will see 3 optiions, choose and Long press volume up and hold button until you see the 2 options at bottom of screen. Choose and hold volume up until screen goes off. Then the S10 logo screen will briefly apppear, before it flicks back to the Download screen with the words 'VBMETA: Error verifying vbmeta image etc' at the top, as the image below.
    This is all good so far. Leave the phone exactly as it is with this screen showing and make sure the phone is still connected to the computer.
    On your computer, fire up Odin3_v3.13.1, you can leave the Reboot option in Odin ticked. Locate your stock firmware on your computer and put the 4 file parts (BL, AP. CP and CSC) into Odin.
    Let Odin finish.
    The phone will reboot ready for setup.
    The Unlocked bootloader warning screen will be gone.

Scenario 2. Your phone has been rooted but isn't now, and the greyed out OEM switch is ON
    Easy, turn off your phone and proceed from the 2nd paragraph of Scenario 1.

Scenario 3 Your phone has been rooted but isn't now, and the greyed out OEM switch is OFF
    Sorry, but in this situation, you are going to have to root your phone with Magisk as the OEM switch will only be available when rooted.
    When rooted, proceed as Scenario 1.

Scenario 4 Your phone has never been rooted. i.e. you unlocked the bootloader but never proceeded to root the phone
    Turn off your phone and proceed from the 2nd paragraph of Scenario 1.

If you want proof that I have locked and unlocked time and time again see HERE

:victory:
    I was thinking of a way to block the bootloader, and I came up with something very basic, so please who can try the method, share whether it works or not.

1. Turn off your device.
    2. Press Bixby + Volume down and connect your device to a PC to start the download mode (now you can release both buttons)
    3. Read the text below on the Download Mode screen
    to block or unblock the Bootloader.
    4.- Long press the vol (- or +) button as best suits you.
    LOCK BOOTLOADER:
    5. Long press the volume up button (+) until the computer is restarted (this will erase your data and restart automatically). :fingers-crossed:
    Ready! Now you have a device with an OEM lock.:highfive:

Good luck my friends!!!:D
    It works! (Apache style. Yes, I identify as an Apache helicopter))

1. Turn off your device.
    2. Press Bixby + Volume Down and connect your device to a PC to start the download mode
    3. Press and hold the volume until the window to unlock or lock the boot loader appears. This will erase your data and restart automatically.
    4.- Press the vol (- or +) button that best suits you. :fingers-crossed:
    Ready!

Luck my friend´s

@DetourToNirvana

Useless drivel and incomprehensible rambling. Find a rock and crawl underneath it.