How to REALLY Root and update your 2.2.1 Slide to cyanogen 7 - Noob Edition Summer 11

Search This thread

eckre

Jul 21, 2011
You have undoubtedly seen lot of Rooting guides for the Mytouch 3G Slide, claiming to root the phone:

wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/TMobile_myTouch_Slide:_Full_Update_Guide

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1108316 New way to downgrade from 2.2 to 2.1

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=999121 Ultra Easy Rooter [dbzfanatic][xologist]

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1025336 How-To [Root][NewLinks] The myTouch 3GS if you updated to Offical 2.2.1 and lost root

SuperOneClick doesn't work. Nothing works, I've tried them all several times from several different angles. Therer is some sort of NAND lock on the phone, above and beyond typical. Anyways.

None of the aformentioned guides work, so won't waste your time like I did. They are also all written by people who can not communicate well with other human life forms, and they assume you have a CS and/or IS degree, and also assume you have all the software installed on your machine that they have on theirs, and have all the same settings on your phone that you "should" have on yours and they also assume you are doing some "obvious" steps in the middle of their steps that you should know how to do. They won't tell you that, but they do. So here is the REAL definitive step by step guide, with pics, on how to do it. BTW, you don't need a gold card. You don't need to mess with any consol crap. This should take 15-20 minutes max. What we're basically going to be doing is downgrading to 2.1-update1, then rooting, then putting on the Cyanogen Mod, then adding the google apps (which are not included in the cyanogen mod). I've put as many pics as I could and tried to do a step by step that ANYONE can follow.

I was using Windows 7 64-bit SP1 and I think these are the things that you need to have set up, you may not need them but I was trying so many of everything that I don't even know if they are all required, I'm sure I missed some things, but I will keep editing this guide as needed)

*Make sure you have at least 25MB of free space on your phone's internal memory.
*Make sure you've backed everything up you want to (text messages, bookmarks, programs, etc) But the google cloud should keep most your other stuff okay. (email etc) http://tinyurl.com/3b4qp6q
*Turn USB Debugging on your phone. (Settings, applications, development > USB Debugging - check)
*Turn phone to charge mode only when you plug in the USB cable
*PDAnet was running on the PC (This is required it will install the correct driver for step 1, though it's a tethering app and you won't need it for that) - http://junefabrics.com/android/download.php

1. Plug in phone and go to device manager from control panel on your computer.

You open the "Android USB Devices" and see what driver it says.

If it says something like "Mytouch Slide 3G"

ScreenShot084.jpg

go to Update driver > Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick

ScreenShot095.jpg

pick this one: "ADB Device Interface" , say okay, etc.

ScreenShot096.jpg

If it does say "ADB Drvice Interface" you're good. Exit out of that.

2. Download "T-Mobile_myTouch_3G_Slide_Software_Update_2.15.531.3.exe" from here http://www.htc.com/us/support/t-mobile-mytouch-3g-slide/downloads/ (157MB)

3. Go to your temp windows folder. IF you do Start > Search %TEMP% it should pop up. Keep on eye on this folder as you do the next step. (Maybe sort by date modified to help)

4. Double Click the "T-Mobile_myTouch_3G_Slide_Software_Update_2.15.531.3.exe" file and have it extract everything. At the first main screen, just wait there with it open and not installed.

ScreenShot097.jpg

You hopefully should have seen some folders be created in your temp file. There were 2 on mine, like so, check them both out:

ScreenShot098.jpg

When you see the one that looks like this:

ScreenShot099.jpg

and has a folder structure like this:

ScreenShot100.jpg

that's the folder you want to copy. So:

5. Highlight the folder with "ARUWizard.exe" and "rom.zip" in it. Mine had about 74 files in it. Copy it, and copy it to another part of your hard drive, and rename that awful folder, sheesh. :) (not needed)

6. You can close out of the Rom Update Utility.

7. In that NEW copied folder, delete "rom.zip"

8. Download the ~140 MB "ESPRIMG.zip" from here: http://www.4shared.com/file/OsmF_ZD7/ESPRIMG.html

9. Put it into the folder that we copied out, and rename it from ESPRIMG.zip TO rom.zip

10. Now, while you are in that folder, "ARUWizard.exe" check check, next, etc.

ScreenShot091.jpg

11. This will downgrade your phone from 2.2.1 to 2.1-update1

ScreenShot093.jpg

12. Tada! Good job. Now, go download the lastest Cyanogen firmware ROM here: http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?type=stable&device=espresso

13. Rename the "update-cm-7.X.X-Slide-signed.zip" to "update.zip"

14. While you are doing this, download the lastest Google Apps from here: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Latest_Version#Google_Apps Mine was called "gapps-gb-20110613-signed.zip" and put that on your phone's memory card as well, no renaming needed.

15. Turn off your phone and take out the memory card and put it in your computer (or turn the phone back into a mountable drive) and copy over the update.zip onto the root director of your memory card.

16. Hold "down volume" and "power" which will boot you into a techy looking screen. Ignore any errors, the volume up and down navigates, so go into "Recovery" Mode.

17. Once in the Recovery, you will see a device with a triangle. Press "Volume Up" & the "Power" button.

18. Select the option to Wipe data/factory reset. Then select the option to Wipe cache partition.

19. See the option to "apply sdcard:update.zip" ? Do it, with power as confirm. This will put the Cyanogen mod on your phone!

20. Reboot system now. Now, you should boot into Cyanogen 2.3.x! However, you will notice you don't have any of the google apps.

21. So, Now, go into your programs on the phone, and you will see "Rom Manager" a eye with a tophat. Say "Install Rom from SD Card" and pick the "gapps-gb-20110613-signed.zip" You may have to fiddle with the plugging in USB/etc to get access to this, you don't have to buy the program, it will do it, but you have to have it set up so you can see the MicroSDcard, etc.

It will reboot your phone and you will now and install all the google apps. The most important one is MARKET, so you can download stuff. It will now go through all the TOS for each google program you said you want. The rest the wizard should navigate you through properly.

Holy hell this was a terribly troubleshooting process which probably took me 20 hours to figure out they were ALL wrong. Big thanks to "Da Maestro" who helped me on Cyanogenmod.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

txdeathray

Jan 2, 2011
Houston
wait wait wait... so will this method revert the hboot from 1. whatever to the older version and allow S-OFF?!

Last edited:

eckre

Jul 21, 2011
yeah, I don't even know what you're saying, I'm such the nube. I don't think this deals with the S-On/Off problem though. I saw some other posts that fixed that. This method does nothing to do with that, as far as I know :)

All I'm saying is I have Cyanogen 7 on my phone and this is how I did it from 2.2.1 stock.

wait wait wait... so will this method revert the hboot from 1. whatever to the older version and allow S-OFF?!

txdeathray

Jan 2, 2011
Houston
as far as i'm aware of, there's no S-OFF after you upgrade to 2.2.1, so i was thinking if you can check your hboot by powering off your phone and then turn it on by holding down volume down and power button. hboot version should be on the very top of your screen.

nikolag

May 18, 2007
Bootloader error

I get 140 bootloader version error from the RUU. So far I have not been able to get any of the root mrthods to work with my slide.

Any ideas?

eckre

Jul 21, 2011
Last edited:
Reactions: raziel420

raziel420

Jul 31, 2011
That is one thing I didn't see, although upon checking it,s not there, and I do have the android SDK installed :/

If it helps any I'm on windows 7 ultimate x64 (since the problem seems driver related).

*edit 1* I keep seeing places where it says to check for the ADB interface driver, but nobody seems to know how to actually install said driver, or where it can be found at.

*edit 2* Turns out that PDAnet is what supplies the ADB driver, so as it happens that IS required (and here I thought that was a stupid tethering app)

*Edit 3* So just to make sure I downloaded the software on the posted links just to make sure some of the other versions I had were not incompatable, and still no joy. At this point I've spent a good 6 hours trying to root this phone and growing significantly more annoyed with it. If anyone has any feel free to contact me, I'd really like to get this working.

Last edited:

dgrwe2512

Nov 29, 2010
Memphis
Same here, went through all of the steps, still keep getting the 140 error.
edit* went all the way through the steps again very thoroughly, still getting the same error 140. Any Ideas?

Last edited:

eckre

Jul 21, 2011
It was such a complicated process, dealing with all the other guides some part of them may have worked that I missed. Maybe you do indeed need to make a gold card. It didn't work (I think) on one MicroSD card so I changed to another one.

So I guess make a gold card and give it a try. This is the guide I used to make a gold card:

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Howto:_Create_a_Goldcard

Thanks for helping me get this guide correct.

One thing I did have to do is change USB ports and USB cables, as stupid as that is, I know, I know. The ones in my monitor worked but the front ones on my computer didn't work with the ROM update utility, but I think the error code I was getting was 170 or 171 USB disconnect error.

Same here, went through all of the steps, still keep getting the 140 error.
edit* went all the way through the steps again very thoroughly, still getting the same error 140. Any Ideas?

dgrwe2512

Nov 29, 2010
Memphis
What if you were to save that rom.zip file directly on the SD card, as the update.zip file first? Would that load 2.1? Because the installer wont.
I'm going to try it....

Nope, didn't work.

Last edited:

katbastard

Nov 2, 2010
Slab City, Ca
www.facebook.com
the gold card worked for me just fine after getting my replacement phone on 2.2.1 all i did was back up everything on my sd card make and use the gold card get root and put every thing back on my sd card just fine.

dgrwe2512

Nov 29, 2010
Memphis
Yes, its installed and running. Also, I made a gold card out of my SD card and tried again, and still got the same error. I am starting to hate T-Mobile!

dgrwe2512

Nov 29, 2010
Memphis
the gold card worked for me just fine after getting my replacement phone on 2.2.1 all i did was back up everything on my sd card make and use the gold card get root and put every thing back on my sd card just fine.

Do you have a link to the Gold Card method that worked for you? I keep getting a bootloader error with this method, about ready to give up.

katbastard

Nov 2, 2010
Slab City, Ca
www.facebook.com

cramill

Dec 21, 2010
I'm kinda confused why there is gold card discussion here. The method outlined in the first post specifically says that you don't need a gold card. Does this method not work and is that why you are trying gold card stuff?

Last edited:
Reactions: AXYPB

cramill

Dec 21, 2010
Yes, its installed and running. Also, I made a gold card out of my SD card and tried again, and still got the same error. I am starting to hate T-Mobile!
I don't think should have it running while you root. (I would assume that would just cause problems.) You just need to install it for the usb drivers and make sure it works.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You have undoubtedly seen lot of Rooting guides for the Mytouch 3G Slide, claiming to root the phone:

wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/TMobile_myTouch_Slide:_Full_Update_Guide

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1108316 New way to downgrade from 2.2 to 2.1

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=999121 Ultra Easy Rooter [dbzfanatic][xologist]

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1025336 How-To [Root][NewLinks] The myTouch 3GS if you updated to Offical 2.2.1 and lost root

SuperOneClick doesn't work. Nothing works, I've tried them all several times from several different angles. Therer is some sort of NAND lock on the phone, above and beyond typical. Anyways.

None of the aformentioned guides work, so won't waste your time like I did. They are also all written by people who can not communicate well with other human life forms, and they assume you have a CS and/or IS degree, and also assume you have all the software installed on your machine that they have on theirs, and have all the same settings on your phone that you "should" have on yours and they also assume you are doing some "obvious" steps in the middle of their steps that you should know how to do. They won't tell you that, but they do. So here is the REAL definitive step by step guide, with pics, on how to do it. BTW, you don't need a gold card. You don't need to mess with any consol crap. This should take 15-20 minutes max. What we're basically going to be doing is downgrading to 2.1-update1, then rooting, then putting on the Cyanogen Mod, then adding the google apps (which are not included in the cyanogen mod). I've put as many pics as I could and tried to do a step by step that ANYONE can follow.

I was using Windows 7 64-bit SP1 and I think these are the things that you need to have set up, you may not need them but I was trying so many of everything that I don't even know if they are all required, I'm sure I missed some things, but I will keep editing this guide as needed)

*Make sure you have at least 25MB of free space on your phone's internal memory.
    *Make sure you've backed everything up you want to (text messages, bookmarks, programs, etc) But the google cloud should keep most your other stuff okay. (email etc) http://tinyurl.com/3b4qp6q
    *Turn USB Debugging on your phone. (Settings, applications, development > USB Debugging - check)
    *Turn phone to charge mode only when you plug in the USB cable
    *PDAnet was running on the PC (This is required it will install the correct driver for step 1, though it's a tethering app and you won't need it for that) - http://junefabrics.com/android/download.php

1. Plug in phone and go to device manager from control panel on your computer.

You open the "Android USB Devices" and see what driver it says.

If it says something like "Mytouch Slide 3G"

ScreenShot084.jpg

go to Update driver > Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick

ScreenShot095.jpg

pick this one: "ADB Device Interface" , say okay, etc.

ScreenShot096.jpg

If it does say "ADB Drvice Interface" you're good. Exit out of that.

2. Download "T-Mobile_myTouch_3G_Slide_Software_Update_2.15.531.3.exe" from here http://www.htc.com/us/support/t-mobile-mytouch-3g-slide/downloads/ (157MB)

3. Go to your temp windows folder. IF you do Start > Search %TEMP% it should pop up. Keep on eye on this folder as you do the next step. (Maybe sort by date modified to help)

4. Double Click the "T-Mobile_myTouch_3G_Slide_Software_Update_2.15.531.3.exe" file and have it extract everything. At the first main screen, just wait there with it open and not installed.

ScreenShot097.jpg

You hopefully should have seen some folders be created in your temp file. There were 2 on mine, like so, check them both out:

ScreenShot098.jpg

When you see the one that looks like this:

ScreenShot099.jpg

and has a folder structure like this:

ScreenShot100.jpg

that's the folder you want to copy. So:

5. Highlight the folder with "ARUWizard.exe" and "rom.zip" in it. Mine had about 74 files in it. Copy it, and copy it to another part of your hard drive, and rename that awful folder, sheesh. :) (not needed)

6. You can close out of the Rom Update Utility.

7. In that NEW copied folder, delete "rom.zip"

8. Download the ~140 MB "ESPRIMG.zip" from here: http://www.4shared.com/file/OsmF_ZD7/ESPRIMG.html

9. Put it into the folder that we copied out, and rename it from ESPRIMG.zip TO rom.zip

10. Now, while you are in that folder, "ARUWizard.exe" check check, next, etc.

ScreenShot091.jpg

11. This will downgrade your phone from 2.2.1 to 2.1-update1

ScreenShot093.jpg

12. Tada! Good job. Now, go download the lastest Cyanogen firmware ROM here: http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?type=stable&device=espresso

13. Rename the "update-cm-7.X.X-Slide-signed.zip" to "update.zip"

14. While you are doing this, download the lastest Google Apps from here: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Latest_Version#Google_Apps Mine was called "gapps-gb-20110613-signed.zip" and put that on your phone's memory card as well, no renaming needed.

15. Turn off your phone and take out the memory card and put it in your computer (or turn the phone back into a mountable drive) and copy over the update.zip onto the root director of your memory card.

16. Hold "down volume" and "power" which will boot you into a techy looking screen. Ignore any errors, the volume up and down navigates, so go into "Recovery" Mode.

17. Once in the Recovery, you will see a device with a triangle. Press "Volume Up" & the "Power" button.

18. Select the option to Wipe data/factory reset. Then select the option to Wipe cache partition.

19. See the option to "apply sdcard:update.zip" ? Do it, with power as confirm. This will put the Cyanogen mod on your phone!

20. Reboot system now. Now, you should boot into Cyanogen 2.3.x! However, you will notice you don't have any of the google apps.

21. So, Now, go into your programs on the phone, and you will see "Rom Manager" a eye with a tophat. Say "Install Rom from SD Card" and pick the "gapps-gb-20110613-signed.zip" You may have to fiddle with the plugging in USB/etc to get access to this, you don't have to buy the program, it will do it, but you have to have it set up so you can see the MicroSDcard, etc.

It will reboot your phone and you will now and install all the google apps. The most important one is MARKET, so you can download stuff. It will now go through all the TOS for each google program you said you want. The rest the wizard should navigate you through properly.

Holy hell this was a terribly troubleshooting process which probably took me 20 hours to figure out they were ALL wrong. Big thanks to "Da Maestro" who helped me on Cyanogenmod.

Enjoy!
    yeah I had that error too,

http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/28205-stuck-on-step-8-rooting/

EDIT: To fix it, make sure PDANet it installed and that will install the driver so you can change it from "t-mobile mytouch 3G" to "ADB Device..." It's step 1.

Well at least your not alone in that club. Getting the same error, even using a goldcard. I guess back to the drawing board for us at least.
    I'm kinda confused why there is gold card discussion here. The method outlined in the first post specifically says that you don't need a gold card. Does this method not work and is that why you are trying gold card stuff?
    OK, so heres the breakdown. I had already made a goldcard, that seems to work properly.

I installed PDAnet (and shut it down, since we only need the ADB driver)

Downloaded all the listed software, from the sources listed. Made notated modifications to downloaded software to create the modified official upgrader.

Ran upgrader, and received error 140, bootloader version error, looking through the logs (which i didn't realize it made, they can be found at c:/ruu_log )The whole thing fails at line 166, "<T104750><DEBUG><OUT>FAILED (remote: 43 main version check fail)</OUT>" is the log output.

I attempted to modify the rom.zip with an adjusted version number higher then the one installed (should work in theory) but it refuses the change (of course I was just doing a simple text edit after opening it with winrar, it refuses to save change due to corrupted image).

It could be possible that one of your other attempts caused your phone to ignore version mismatches, or downgrades, which is causing the rest of us to get 140 errors.

Ahh the fun of the shotgun method, you threw so much crap at the wall that some of it stuck, and now we can't repeat the results, lol.
    I ended up using this after all the errors
    1. Download the 2 files in post #13/ thanks NJAZ (SuperOneClickv1.7-ShortFuse.zip and mt3srooter.zip)
    2. Extract them to their own folders on the desktop of your computer
    3. Run the .exe files within each of the folders (open the programs SuperOneClick and mt3srooter--run as admin if using Vista or Win7)
    4.In the Super1Click program, click "Shell Root", wait a moment til it does its thing
    5.In the mt3gs rooter program, click on "Root Me"
    It will tell you to turn on the wifi on your phone, and you must do it within 30 seconds, so hurry
    6.Your phone will reboot into bootloader mode if all goes well. Use your volume buttons to navigate down to the fastboot option, and choose it with the power button. The phone will scan your sd card and find ESPRIMG.zip, and take a while checking the file. When it is finished checking the file, press the volume up button to confirm that you want to flash the file. Once it is finished flashing, you're rooted on stock 2.1 Eclair ROM.

I dont know if these programs put the update.zip for CWM onto your sd card too, I already had that and the ESPRIMG.zip on my card when I used this method, so if all else fails you, put a card into your phone with these files on the root of it into your phone and then use the 2 programs to gain root. Dont be afraid to try it a couple of times if it doesn't work the first time, and make sure that you have the correct drivers for your phone installed on your computer. To get into CWM Recovery to be able to flash custom ROMs, boot into bootloade by starting your phone and holding the vol-down button, and you will get a black screen with a red triangle. Then press power and vol-down and choose "Apply Update.zip" and in a moment you will be in CWM Recovery,as long as you have the file on the root of your sd card.

Just thought I'd spell it all out very detailed and simple for anybody less familiar with all this kind of stuff, makes for less "please explain step #...." posts.

Then followed the rest of the instructions in this to get CM7 on it and its all working great