How to recover Shield TV Pro (2015) after an error while flashing a boot.img

Search This thread
Hello,

I was flashing the Nvidia Shield Pro (2015) 8.0.1 official Developer image as per the instructions on Nvidia developer site.

The device is unlocked already, the latest drivers are used, a fully functional usb cable is used, latest android libraries are used on Windows 10 64bit. Every step is done as per the instructions and I have flashed previous versions in the same way with the same equipment and same drivers, cable and software successfully.

After rebooting in fastboot and using the command fastboot “flash staging blob” the staging.img flashed OK, but while doing the next step per nvidia instructions: “fastboot flash boot boot.img” to flash the boot.img a message saying: FAILED (data transfer failure (unknown error)) appeared and the shield automatically rebooted, now I can’t get into fastboot mode or recovery to restore or reflash, nor can I boot the device.

Please advice what shall I do in order to unbrick the device? Is this possible?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

toddre

Aug 18, 2007
Have you tried rebooting the computer that you are flashing with?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

toddre

Aug 18, 2007
I didn't read thoroughly... No advice on a hard brick. Good luck and I am interested in seeing what legit suggestions you may receive.

go2xraj

Apr 29, 2011
Hello,

I was flashing the Nvidia Shield Pro (2017) 8.0.1 official Developer image as per the instructions on Nvidia developer site.

The device is unlocked already, the latest drivers are used, a fully functional usb cable is used, latest android libraries are used on Windows 10 64bit. Every step is done as per the instructions and I have flashed previous versions in the same way with the same equipment and same drivers, cable and software successfully.

After rebooting in fastboot and using the command fastboot “flash staging blob” the staging.img flashed OK, but while doing the next step per nvidia instructions: “fastboot flash boot boot.img” to flash the boot.img a message saying: FAILED (data transfer failure (unknown error)) appeared and the shield automatically rebooted, now I can’t get into fastboot mode or recovery to restore or reflash, nor can I boot the device.

Please advice what shall I do in order to unbrick the device? Is this possible?
Thanks in advance!

If you have keyboard, connect the keyboard to the USB port near to hdmi port. Press A and B at the same time when booting the shield tv by plugging on power to the shield tv. It will boot in to fast boot and then you can recover by flashing the recovery image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

toddre

Aug 18, 2007
Did you try your controller to get into recovery? Back to my original response, I have more then once needed to reboot my laptop to send commands to my shields

Last edited:
If you have keyboard, connect the keyboard to the USB port near to hdmi port. Press A and B at the same time when booting the shield tv by plugging on power to the shield tv. It will boot in to fast boot and then you can recover by flashing the recovery image

This is the Pro 2017 version, it is booted into fastboot mode by:

1. Unplug SHIELD TV.
2. Connect a Micro USB cable from the Micro USB port on SATV to a PC.
3. Connect power back to SHIELD TV.
4. Wait 2 seconds, and then hold the NVIDIA power button on SHIELD TV for 5-6s until you see the fastboot menu on the display.

I can't get into fastboot unfortunately though using the method I described above, as I wrote in my initial post.

go2xraj

Apr 29, 2011
This is the Pro 2017 version, it is booted into fastboot mode by:

1. Unplug SHIELD TV.

4. Wait 2 seconds, and then hold the NVIDIA power button on SHIELD TV for 5-6s until you see the fastboot menu on the display.

I can't get into fastboot unfortunately though using the method I described above, as I wrote in my initial post.

Try with keyboard, instead of other controls, it worked for me that’s why I said.

Did you try your controller to get into recovery? Back to my original response, I have more then once needed to reboot my laptop to send commands to my shields

I don't have the controller but my model is booted into recovery in another way:
1. Unplug SHIELD TV.

go2xraj

Apr 29, 2011
You need a wired keyboard with usb and press A and B at the same time

Last edited:
You need a wired keyboard with usb and press A and B at the same time

Didn't help unfortunately, I am afraid the fastboot is not working, due to the flashing of new blob.img but failure of boot.img flash. My question is if there is something I can do in such situation given that I can't get intoo fasboot/recovery.

Would it be possible to take out the hard disk, connect it to a PC via an usb disk case and manually rewrite the partitions with the corresponding .img files from the firmware image? I can use linux or ext2 volume manager on windows to recognize the partitions and then simply overwrite them but how do I extract the .img files and would this work as I hypothesize?

I_did_it_just_tmrrow

Feb 27, 2011
Just to get sure:
-You can not boot into recovery, right?
-You can not boot into fastboot, right?
-You own the emmc-2017 pro shieldTV aka codename darcy, right?
-When you plug your shield tv to your pc with usb, did you see a APX device?

Please tell us:
-What happend (sign of life) when you power-up the device after plug-it-out for 60 seconds? Green-LED? HDMI-CECshut hdmi-channel on? Aso.

If this all is true than it could be difficult. I read something about a UART-Connection but you need soldering skills for that.
Please search here at xda more about your issue, I found this:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/shield-tv/help/2017-16gb-apx-mode-trying-to-flash-dev-t3811117

Last edited:
Just to get sure:
-You can not boot into recovery, right?
-You can not boot into fastboot, right?
-You own the emmc-2017 pro shieldTV aka codename darcy, right?
-When you plug your shield tv to your pc with usb, did you see a APX device?

Please tell us:
-What happend (sign of life) when you power-up the device after plug-it-out for 60 seconds? Green-LED? HDMI-CECshut hdmi-channel on? Aso.

If this all is true than it could be difficult. I read something about a UART-Connection but you need soldering skills for that.
Please search here at xda more about your issue, I found this:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/shield-tv/help/2017-16gb-apx-mode-trying-to-flash-dev-t3811117

Thanks!
- Yes, I can't boot into recovery using the hardware method: booting connected via micro usb to my PC and pressing the shield button for 5 sec. or until the recovery screen shows.
- Yes, I can't boot into fastboot as my PC doesn't detect the Shield as adb nor as fastboot device. Here is a screenshot of my command prompt when the flash went bad and displaying that the device is not detected as adb nor as fastboot device: https://i.ibb.co/VCYVkSm/error.jpg
- No, I own the P2571 Shield Pro, I am not sure but the P2571 should be the Foster not the Darcy model. I edited my subject to 2015, it seems I bought a 2015 in 2017 with the new edgy controller and this lead me to believe it was the 2017 model, thanks for bringing this up!
- IDK, Can you please help with this one? I don't see an APX device in my device manager, nothing seems to happen or to update in the device manager when I turn on or off the connected shield. Do I need to get into APX mode somehow, or do I need some APX drivers?

When I turn on the device 1) the green light goes on, 2) the hdmi seems to communicate as the screen becomes black when I turn the Shield on and when I turn the Shield off the hdmi goes to its original state of showing the brand of my AVR on the screen just like if the hdmi is disconnected. 3)I feel the HDD inside the Shield rotating and working just as usually.

Will it be possible to just dd/clone certain foster partitions as staging, boot and recovery in order to get it back working?

Last edited:

I_did_it_just_tmrrow

Feb 27, 2011
Thanks!
- Yes, I can't boot into recovery using the hardware method: booting connected via micro usb to my PC and pressing the shield button for 5 sec. or until the recovery screen shows.
- Yes, I can't boot into fastboot as my PC doesn't detect the Shield as adb nor as fastboot device. Here is a screenshot of my command prompt when the flash went bad and displaying that the device is not detected as adb nor as fastboot device: https://i.ibb.co/VCYVkSm/error.jpg
- No, I own the P2571 Shield Pro, I am not sure but the P2571 should be the Foster not the Darcy model. I edited my subject to 2015, it seems I bought a 2015 in 2017 with the new edgy controller and this lead me to believe it was the 2017 model, thanks for bringing this up!
- IDK, Can you please help with this one? I don't see an APX device in my device manager, nothing seems to happen or to update in the device manager when I turn on or off the connected shield. Do I need to get into APX mode somehow, or do I need some APX drivers?

When I turn on the device 1) the green light goes on, 2) the hdmi seems to communicate as the screen becomes black when I turn the Shield on and when I turn the Shield off the hdmi goes to its original state of showing the brand of my AVR on the screen just like if the hdmi is disconnected. 3)I feel the HDD inside the Shield rotating and working just as usually.

Will it be possible to just dd/clone certain foster partitions as staging, boot and recovery in order to get it back working?
Sorry, some days ago. Any progress?

Just to get sure about your device, can follow this here:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Nvidia+Shield+TV+1st+Generation+Motherboard+Replacement/99303?lang=en
When you do this, grab out your hdd. Be carefull with the glued sata-controller.

Then attach the hdd to a pc. If you run windows, install a vm with ubuntu or any other linux disto or search in the internet about a bootable usb-linux stick. When done, make a partition backup of your hdd.

Follow this: "The you continue by dumping the first 6899870 blocks of data to a bin file"

Take your time and do it slowly. No stress!

When you really own the nvidia with attached hdd I think there could be a chance to bring it back to live.

Sorry, some days ago. Any progress?

Just to get sure about your device, can follow this here:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Nvidia+Shield+TV+1st+Generation+Motherboard+Replacement/99303?lang=en
When you do this, grab out your hdd. Be carefull with the glued sata-controller.

Then attach the hdd to a pc. If you run windows, install a vm with ubuntu or any other linux disto or search in the internet about a bootable usb-linux stick. When done, make a partition backup of your hdd.

Follow this: "The you continue by dumping the first 6899870 blocks of data to a bin file"

Take your time and do it slowly. No stress!

When you really own the nvidia with attached hdd I think there could be a chance to bring it back to live.
I known it's been a long time but I just noticed your reply. I have managed to revive the Shield Pro. I just had to use a different image. Everything is smooth and sweet now. Thanks!

do you have instructions on how you brought it back to life? Thanks in advance!
Absolutely.

1. Open the Shield by prying off the bottom of the casing. I managed to do this with my fingernails. A small plastic pry tool can be used as well.
sgYtH4hGKSqoSHub.medium

2. Remove the one screw, the 2 wire sets taped to the HDD and the tapes holding the HDD. Gently lift the black latch/lock on the connector to the secondary board, then the FCC connector will be easily out. Then it is just a matter of gently loosening the adhesive on the FCC strip from the HDD and pull out the SATA connector from the HDD.
EuiO4aM4rdUpjhLB.medium

3. Insert the HDD in a USB external HDD enclosure or in a free slot on your computer.
orico-2599us3-tool-free-usb-3-0-2-5-inch-sata-hdd-enclosure-external-hard-drive-case-for-notebook-desktop-pc---black-1572249464788.jpg

4. Download the following Shield Pro 2015/2017 image to the HDD: Shield Pro 205/2017 HDD image. Place the .bin images in the folder where DD utility for Windows (read bellow) is extracted.

5. Use DD on Linux or Windows. It is built-in in Linux and here is the Windows version to download: DD for windows.
5.1. First get the letter (on Linux - in my case C) or the number (on Windows in my case 2) of your external HDD. The command to get it on Windows is: dd --list
5.2. Use the following DD command to transfer the image: (the transfer of the firstpart.bin can take 5-15 min.)

On Linux:
dd if=firstpart.bin of=/dev/sdc
dd if=lastpart.bin of=/dev/sdc bs=512 seek=976773158

On Windows:
dd if=firstpart.bin of=\\?\Device\Harddisk2\Partition0
dd if=lastpart.bin of=\\?\Device\Harddisk2\Partition0 bs=512 seek=976773158

6. Assemble the Shield back and boot it. It will be un-bricked but most probably not booting normally, in such case proceed further with p. 7. and 8.

7. Fastboot reboot the hardware way:
- Disconnect power cable
- Connect Shield to a computer using an USB cable connected to the micro USB port of the Shield.
- Connect power cable to SHIELD
- As soon as the green LED turns on -BUT NOT BEFORE- hold down the power button
- Count to three, then immediately release the power button
- i.e. one-one thousand, two-one thousand, three-one thousand.. LIFT!
- You should now see the fastboot menu on the screen.
- If the standard boot process starts, disconnect the power cable and repeat
the process increasing the count in the previous step to 4.

8. Fastboot flash using the usual procedure the firmware you were on before bricking it. Take the firmware from here. In my case this was 7.2.3. If you were rooted use the "Developer Only" image instead of the regular.
fastboot flash staging blob
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash vendor vendor.img
fastboot reboot

Give the first boot 15 minutes and then manually reboot if needed and again wait longer than usually. It should now work.

Don't format your drive at any stage and you will not loose your data.

The reason for bricking in most cases is flashing firmware experience 8 and above, the blob file kills the shield, the nvidia firmware engineers are obviously not up to their hardware level.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: HookedonHD

HookedonHD

Jul 31, 2010
Las Vegas
Absolutely.

1. Open the Shield by prying off the bottom of the casing. I managed to do this with my fingernails. A small plastic pry tool can be used as well.
sgYtH4hGKSqoSHub.medium

2. Remove the one screw, the 2 wire sets taped to the HDD and the tapes holding the HDD. Gently lift the black latch/lock on the connector to the secondary board, then the FCC connector will be easily out. Then it is just a matter of gently loosening the adhesive on the FCC strip from the HDD and pull out the SATA connector from the HDD.
EuiO4aM4rdUpjhLB.medium

3. Insert the HDD in a USB external HDD enclosure or in a free slot on your computer.
orico-2599us3-tool-free-usb-3-0-2-5-inch-sata-hdd-enclosure-external-hard-drive-case-for-notebook-desktop-pc---black-1572249464788.jpg

4. Download the following Shield Pro 2015/2017 image to the HDD: Shield Pro 205/2017 HDD image. Place the .bin images in the folder where DD utility for Windows (read bellow) is extracted.

5. Use DD on Linux or Windows. It is built-in in Linux and here is the Windows version to download: DD for windows.
5.1. First get the letter (on Linux - in my case C) or the number (on Windows in my case 2) of your external HDD. The command to get it on Windows is: dd --list
5.2. Use the following DD command to transfer the image: (the transfer of the firstpart.bin can take 5-15 min.)

On Linux:

On Windows:

6. Assemble the Shield back and boot it. It will be un-bricked but most probably not booting normally, in such case proceed further with p. 7. and 8.

- Disconnect power cable

8. Fastboot flash using the usual procedure the firmware you were on before bricking it. Take the firmware from here. In my case this was 7.2.3. If you were rooted use the "Developer Only" image instead of the regular.
fastboot reboot

Give the first boot 15 minutes and then manually reboot if needed and again wait longer than usually. It should now work.

The reason for bricking in most cases is flashing firmware experience 8 and above, the blob file kills the shield, the nvidia firmware engineers are obviously not up to their hardware level.

Good luck!
I have downloaded the latest firmware from nvidia. I'll give this a shot today with a new ssd drive, I've been just getting a black screen since yesterday. I tried going into fastboot with holding the A and B buttons after plugging the power in to no avail. hopefully, your instructions will work, thanks again!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    do you have instructions on how you brought it back to life? Thanks in advance!
    Absolutely.

sgYtH4hGKSqoSHub.medium

EuiO4aM4rdUpjhLB.medium

On Linux:

On Windows:

- Disconnect power cable
    - Connect Shield to a computer using an USB cable connected to the micro USB port of the Shield.

fastboot reboot

Good luck!