• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How to recover Shield TV Pro (2015) after an error while flashing a boot.img

Search This thread
I tried different hdmi and tv still the same issue. I downloaded easeus data recovery and it's scanning right now and sees files on the sshd. However, I am still getting black screen and I don't understand why the 512gb wouldn't work after following your steps. Shouldn't I at least get the nvidia logo on the screen if no hd is detected? Easeus is going to take a min to scan the entire sshd I don't know what I am going to end up with but if I can recovery files I am thinking about backing the hard drive up but I don't know if that's an option with easeus. And I guess if easeus is able to see files on the sshd it's not toasted?
You could try flashing the original disk with my files and instructions and then with those from the other thread too. If nothing works and you still have the black screen with the original disk and the two different backups there probably is some hardware issue.

HookedonHD

Jul 31, 2010
Las Vegas
So, I got a hynix 500gb drive in the other day and I followed your steps. At first boot I am able to go into recovery mode. The first time I tried to do a recovery without doing step 7 it booted into I think shield experience 5.02? Then I started doing a firmware upgrade from the menu however, I think when I got to 8+ firmware it wouldn't boot. Then, I downloaded 8.2.2 and 7.2.3 from the developer site and flashed those directly but now I only get as far as the 4 dots on the screen of the the nvidia logo and 8.2.2 shield lights up green twice and then turns off. So, I am not sure what I am doing wrong at this point but I think I might have to do something specific to get it to work? At least it doesn't appear to be dead just need to figure out how to get it working again.

So, I got a hynix 500gb drive in the other day and I followed your steps. At first boot I am able to go into recovery mode. The first time I tried to do a recovery without doing step 7 it booted into I think shield experience 5.02? Then I started doing a firmware upgrade from the menu however, I think when I got to 8+ firmware it wouldn't boot. Then, I downloaded 8.2.2 and 7.2.3 from the developer site and flashed those directly but now I only get as far as the 4 dots on the screen of the the nvidia logo and 8.2.2 shield lights up green twice and then turns off. So, I am not sure what I am doing wrong at this point but I think I might have to do something specific to get it to work? At least it doesn't appear to be dead just need to figure out how to get it working again.
Start from the beginning and reach up to 7.2.3 letting it boot after each version. Sometimes in needs to be waited for on the dots screen for longer and sometimes it needs a couple of reboots again waiting longer.

As I wrote the blob file of 8.x.x versions bricks the device...moron developers.

FASAR

Jun 28, 2013
8. Fastboot flash using the usual procedure the firmware you were on before bricking it. Take the firmware from here. In my case this was 7.2.3. If you were rooted use the "Developer Only" image instead of the regular.
fastboot flash staging blob
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash vendor vendor.img
fastboot reboot

Give the first boot 15 minutes and then manually reboot if needed and again wait longer than usually. It should now work.

Don't format your drive at any stage and you will not loose your data.

The reason for bricking in most cases is flashing firmware experience 8 and above, the blob file kills the shield, the nvidia firmware engineers are obviously not up to their hardware level.

Good luck!
Hi!

I have a Nvidia shield P2897 and i am stuck in one phase the i did not encounter on the forum:

on this step, it dies at 10/17:
".....
Sending sparse 'vendor' 7/17 (32764 KB) OKAY [ 0.855s]
Writing 'vendor' OKAY [ 0.682s]
Sending sparse 'vendor' 8/17 (32765 KB) OKAY [ 0.909s]
Writing 'vendor' OKAY [ 0.839s]
Sending sparse 'vendor' 9/17 (32708 KB) OKAY [ 0.899s]
Writing 'vendor' OKAY [ 0.770s]
Sending sparse 'vendor' 10/17 (32593 KB) OKAY [ 1.121s]
Writing 'vendor' FAILED (remote: 'Partition write failed!')
fastboot: error: Command failed
"

Can someone help me out with any advice? I tried a lot's of images, they all fail at that point (fastboot flash vendor vendor.img)

Hi!

I have a Nvidia shield P2897 and i am stuck in one phase the i did not encounter on the forum:

on this step, it dies at 10/17:
".....
Sending sparse 'vendor' 7/17 (32764 KB) OKAY [ 0.855s]
Writing 'vendor' OKAY [ 0.682s]
Sending sparse 'vendor' 8/17 (32765 KB) OKAY [ 0.909s]
Writing 'vendor' OKAY [ 0.839s]
Sending sparse 'vendor' 9/17 (32708 KB) OKAY [ 0.899s]
Writing 'vendor' OKAY [ 0.770s]
Sending sparse 'vendor' 10/17 (32593 KB) OKAY [ 1.121s]
Writing 'vendor' FAILED (remote: 'Partition write failed!')
fastboot: error: Command failed
"

Can someone help me out with any advice? I tried a lot's of images, they all fail at that point (fastboot flash vendor vendor.img)
Can you try flashing with a different usb cable using a different computer or at least a different usb port?

tried a different usb port.. can try with a different pc
so it is not a matter of what image i am using?

i have: Version 32.00.2019.29-t210-e95ab2b0
Production mode: fused
More importantly try a different usb cable.

You should use the vendor image bundled with and matching the blob, recovery and system files that you flashed before it. If you try different versions flash the whole bundle so that these match.

FASAR

Jun 28, 2013
More importantly try a different usb cable.

You should use the vendor image bundled with and matching the blob, recovery and system files that you flashed before it. If you try different versions flash the whole bundle so that these match.
I tried with a different cable: it fails on the same command: fastboot flash vendor vendor.img
Anyway, could this be a matter of cable/pc, if all previous commands work perfectly, all the time?

How can i check what version of os files i should use?
Maybe it is a stupid question, but i got his shield like this..not even know how it looks

I tried with a different cable: it fails on the same command: fastboot flash vendor vendor.img
Anyway, could this be a matter of cable/pc, if all previous commands work perfectly, all the time?

How can i check what version of os files i should use?
Maybe it is a stupid question, but i got his shield like this..not even know how it looks
Download a given version if you don't know which version you are on better try 7.x.x versions. Download from Nvidia's website. Flash it step by step step as in the instructions. If you are rooted use rooted version if not use unrooted. If you don't know try both.

This is a strange issue that I haven't met before. If you want you can try contacting Nvidia support but from my experience they are utterly useless bozos who have no technical knowledge and don't even understand English well enough.

FASAR

Jun 28, 2013
Download a given version if you don't know which version you are on better try 7.x.x versions. Download from Nvidia's website. Flash it step by step step as in the instructions. If you are rooted use rooted version if not use unrooted. If you don't know try both.

This is a strange issue that I haven't met before. If you want you can try contacting Nvidia support but from my experience they are utterly useless bozos who have no technical knowledge and don't even understand English well enough.
i will keep trying versions then..
i guess it is not bricked, since i can use the steps all the time

yea, i will try to reach nvidia also,maybe maybe..

FASAR

Jun 28, 2013
they don't bother to answer,indeed :|
still not solution

if i find the exact same model of shield, maybe i could dissasemble it for the HDD > mount it to a pc and somehow clone the HDD from the functional one

any thoughts about this?

l.e.: mistake on my side: there is NO HDD on the 16gb version

Last edited:

FASAR

Jun 28, 2013

do you think i can send the shield via the guarantee that it still has?
if i lock the bootloader,not sure if the store will accept it like this

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    do you have instructions on how you brought it back to life? Thanks in advance!
    Absolutely.

1. Open the Shield by prying off the bottom of the casing. I managed to do this with my fingernails. A small plastic pry tool can be used as well.
    sgYtH4hGKSqoSHub.medium

2. Remove the one screw, the 2 wire sets taped to the HDD and the tapes holding the HDD. Gently lift the black latch/lock on the connector to the secondary board, then the FCC connector will be easily out. Then it is just a matter of gently loosening the adhesive on the FCC strip from the HDD and pull out the SATA connector from the HDD.
    EuiO4aM4rdUpjhLB.medium

3. Insert the HDD in a USB external HDD enclosure or in a free slot on your computer.
    orico-2599us3-tool-free-usb-3-0-2-5-inch-sata-hdd-enclosure-external-hard-drive-case-for-notebook-desktop-pc---black-1572249464788.jpg

4. Download the following Shield Pro 2015/2017 image to the HDD: Shield Pro 205/2017 HDD image. Place the .bin images in the folder where DD utility for Windows (read bellow) is extracted.

5. Use DD on Linux or Windows. It is built-in in Linux and here is the Windows version to download: DD for windows.
    5.1. First get the letter (on Linux - in my case C) or the number (on Windows in my case 2) of your external HDD. The command to get it on Windows is: dd --list
    5.2. Use the following DD command to transfer the image: (the transfer of the firstpart.bin can take 5-15 min.)

On Linux:
    dd if=firstpart.bin of=/dev/sdc
    dd if=lastpart.bin of=/dev/sdc bs=512 seek=976773158

On Windows:
    dd if=firstpart.bin of=\\?\Device\Harddisk2\Partition0
    dd if=lastpart.bin of=\\?\Device\Harddisk2\Partition0 bs=512 seek=976773158

6. Assemble the Shield back and boot it. It will be un-bricked but most probably not booting normally, in such case proceed further with p. 7. and 8.

7. Fastboot reboot the hardware way:
    - Disconnect power cable
    - Connect Shield to a computer using an USB cable connected to the micro USB port of the Shield.
    - Connect power cable to SHIELD
    - As soon as the green LED turns on -BUT NOT BEFORE- hold down the power button
    - Count to three, then immediately release the power button
    - i.e. one-one thousand, two-one thousand, three-one thousand.. LIFT!
    - You should now see the fastboot menu on the screen.
    - If the standard boot process starts, disconnect the power cable and repeat
    the process increasing the count in the previous step to 4.

8. Fastboot flash using the usual procedure the firmware you were on before bricking it. Take the firmware from here. In my case this was 7.2.3. If you were rooted use the "Developer Only" image instead of the regular.
    fastboot flash staging blob
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot flash system system.img
    fastboot reboot

Give the first boot 15 minutes and then manually reboot if needed and again wait longer than usually. It should now work.

Don't format your drive at any stage and you will not loose your data.

The reason for bricking in most cases is flashing firmware experience 8 and above, the blob file kills the shield, the nvidia firmware engineers are obviously not up to their hardware level.

Good luck!