• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question How to reduce the height of the 'close keyboard' bar?

Search This thread

mkstevo

Mar 5, 2010
One thing that is bugging me is the height of the bar containing the downward arrow that closes the on screen keyboard. With gestures on, the bar only appears when the keyboard is displayed and it must be close to 10mm tall! I usually have 'One handed' mode on as it allows me to shrink the height of the keyboard to allow me to see more of the screen and less of the keyboard. When I do that, the 'hide' bar is near to 50% of the size of the keyboard.

Is there a clever way to reduce this to only a few pixels taller than the down arrow itself, or remove it totally and use the 'back' gesture to hide the keyboard as in previous versions?

Reactions: 3dd1 and orionvc

mkstevo

Mar 5, 2010
@squee666

That does indeed look like an ideal method.

Sadly, the 'FabricateOverlay' app seems to be only available to those taking out an ongoing monthly subscription, so I've been unable to install it.

Izy

@squee666

That does indeed look like an ideal method.

Sadly, the 'FabricateOverlay' app seems to be only available to those taking out an ongoing monthly subscription, so I've been unable to install it.
No it's a free app you side load it it's on GitHub it was even linked in the info how to run both apps are free

Get 1.0.2 it doesn't crash when typing

mkstevo

Mar 5, 2010
No it's a free app you side load it it's on GitHub it was even linked in the info how to run both apps are free

Get 1.0.2 it doesn't crash when typing
Sorry, I must be doing something wrong.
I go to the link where I'm offered the source code as a .zip or a tar.gz file. But no app?

Oh, I see. The app is included only in certain versions. I'll get 1.0.2 as you suggest and try again.

mkstevo

Mar 5, 2010
Thanks for pointing this out. Sorry for being dense!

Having obtained the download, I've been able to apply an overlay as per the instructions.

Keyboard close arrow now gone!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    One thing that is bugging me is the height of the bar containing the downward arrow that closes the on screen keyboard. With gestures on, the bar only appears when the keyboard is displayed and it must be close to 10mm tall! I usually have 'One handed' mode on as it allows me to shrink the height of the keyboard to allow me to see more of the screen and less of the keyboard. When I do that, the 'hide' bar is near to 50% of the size of the keyboard.

Is there a clever way to reduce this to only a few pixels taller than the down arrow itself, or remove it totally and use the 'back' gesture to hide the keyboard as in previous versions?