How-To Reinstall Your Sprint Visual VM under CM7!!!

Search This thread
Finally!!! A solution that worked!!!

I DO NOT CLAIM CREDIT. I'M PROVIDING THIS FOR THE GOOD OF THE FORUM (Original post found here)

1. Download the Sprint VVM 5.1.0.48 Titanium Backup zip: Download attached below
  2. Extract the Sprint VVM 5.1.0.48 Titanium Backup zip to the root of the SD card.
  3. Download & install Titanium Backup from the Market.
  4. Launch Titanium Backup and make sure Sprint VVM is removed (if not, use Titanium Backup to remove it).
  5. Install the Sprint VVM (/sdcard/sprint_vvm_5.1.0.48.apk).
  6. Launch Titanium Backup, select Sprint VVM, select Restore and select Data Only.
  7. NOTE: There is App+Data but it doesn't work.
  8. Launch the Sprint VVM and "Compose" a message to yourself. It will test send and receive functions of Sprint VVM.
  9. Enjoy and report back to the XDA thread with your results.
  10. NOTE: If the above steps do not work, try manually placing the contents of the folder (titaniumbackup) into the preexisting titanium backup folder, i.e. install the APK as instructed, but also extracting the three files within the contained folder into your titanium backup folder.

I can verify and confirm that Sprint VVM (SVVM) works under CM7 Nightly 12 with the stock kernel, using the above method.

NB: On receipt of new voicemail, a text from "9016" will be sent to your phone. I'm using the basic CM7 MMS app and haven't figured out how to stop these notification texts, but that's a minor annoyance to have SVVM back!

Attachments

• sprint-vvm-5.1.0.48.zip
    2 MB · Views: 27,051

Rally187

Apr 3, 2010
Your City:
Ok so im having a hard time figuring out what im supposed to do. ill just list my steps and yea i would appreciate any help.

1. Downloaded the zip and extracted it on the root of the sd.
2. installed titanium backup
3. through TB I checked to see if there was any copy of sprint_vvm (there wasnt)
4. I found the sprint_vvm.apk and installed it.
- This is where i get lost
5. i go back to TB and look for a restore button. i see the Backup/restore tab so i assume thats
the right place. I find the app in the list but when i select it the only options i have are are to
freeze, un-install, backup, run app, and wipe data.

sorry if this seems like a dumb question but im pretty stumped.

Nnyan

Aug 24, 2010
Sacramento
When you see those options you listed THATS how you uninstall it. You should first backup vvm in titamium while running a sense rom. Make sure vvm is working, backup, wipe and flash CM then follow dirs

Ok so im having a hard time figuring out what im supposed to do. ill just list my steps and yea i would appreciate any help.

1. Downloaded the zip and extracted it on the root of the sd.
2. installed titanium backup
3. through TB I checked to see if there was any copy of sprint_vvm (there wasnt)
4. I found the sprint_vvm.apk and installed it.
- This is where i get lost
5. i go back to TB and look for a restore button. i see the Backup/restore tab so i assume thats
the right place. I find the app in the list but when i select it the only options i have are are to
freeze, un-install, backup, run app, and wipe data.

sorry if this seems like a dumb question but im pretty stumped.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App

Rippley05

May 11, 2010
Thank you for including the TB file.. my issue was I could never get TB to show any backed up VVM from a sense rom... and google voice caused a horrible wakelock when I tried using it.

If this works, will be freakin awesome... thanks again.

**edit** I think I'm gonna go ahead and delete the TB folder on my sd card that way this folder will be the only one there. I can create new backups with TB when the time comes.

Last edited:

ScrapMaker

Jan 23, 2008
Handcent can't properly block those 9016 messages :( I still get the notification, (not sound,) and my home widget shows the message count. The only solution is to view blacklisted items and remove them individually. Apparently it's a known bug on their site.

Rippley05

May 11, 2010
Handcent can't properly block those 9016 messages :( I still get the notification, (not sound,) and my home widget shows the message count. The only solution is to view blacklisted items and remove them individually. Apparently it's a known bug on their site.

Yea, it has always done this to me as well. I had the notification for it but couldn't clear it and it still showed on my dockbar counter.

PITA but not as much as getting a TEXT, a notification and an email from google voice to go along with the GV wakelock I had. It is what it is I guess.

I've seen this reposted so many times, this should be like seriously stickied! :D Thanks for the info though, I'm sure someone will benefit from a more recent post of this.

I felt like I found heaven once I saw the post and file that I referenced. It was a Godsend because SVVM is actually pretty useful (and it reminds me of the same function on the iPhone -- that was perhaps its best feature, AFAIWC).

It probably should be Sticky-ed.

MODs: how do we get this "stuck" so people can find this solution easily?

Reactions: VGKitten

halostar

Mar 1, 2011
Yep, it works!!

I was trying for about an hour tonight to get Sprint Visual Voicemail back up and running on my Evo. Thank you VERY much for the awesome info and download!

I, too, can verify this method worked on my HTC Evo 4G. :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Finally!!! A solution that worked!!!

I DO NOT CLAIM CREDIT. I'M PROVIDING THIS FOR THE GOOD OF THE FORUM (Original post found here)

1. Download the Sprint VVM 5.1.0.48 Titanium Backup zip: Download attached below
    2. Extract the Sprint VVM 5.1.0.48 Titanium Backup zip to the root of the SD card.
    3. Download & install Titanium Backup from the Market.
    4. Launch Titanium Backup and make sure Sprint VVM is removed (if not, use Titanium Backup to remove it).
    5. Install the Sprint VVM (/sdcard/sprint_vvm_5.1.0.48.apk).
    6. Launch Titanium Backup, select Sprint VVM, select Restore and select Data Only.
    7. NOTE: There is App+Data but it doesn't work.
    8. Launch the Sprint VVM and "Compose" a message to yourself. It will test send and receive functions of Sprint VVM.
    9. Enjoy and report back to the XDA thread with your results.
    10. NOTE: If the above steps do not work, try manually placing the contents of the folder (titaniumbackup) into the preexisting titanium backup folder, i.e. install the APK as instructed, but also extracting the three files within the contained folder into your titanium backup folder.

I can verify and confirm that Sprint VVM (SVVM) works under CM7 Nightly 12 with the stock kernel, using the above method.

NB: On receipt of new voicemail, a text from "9016" will be sent to your phone. I'm using the basic CM7 MMS app and haven't figured out how to stop these notification texts, but that's a minor annoyance to have SVVM back!
    CM7, install Sprint VVM, block notifications

Simplified directions for those who are sorta new to this and having trouble:
    1. If you install CM7 after wiping (I flashed CM 7.0.3 to my Sprint CDMA Hero after wiping everything), you won't have Sprint VVM, so you can skip some of the steps in first post.
    2. Download zip in first post to your computer, and extract there.
    3. Download Titanium Backup to your phone.
    4. Connect phone to computer (usb mode). Copy apk from extracted folder to sdcard root. Copy the 3 files from the extracted Titanium Backup folder on your computer to the sdcard/Titanium Backup folder.
    5. Unplug phone, navigate to the apk in the sdcard root and install it. Don't run Sprint VVM yet (not sure it makes a difference, but I didn't run it until later).
    6. Launch Titanium Backup - if you can see the Sprint VVM backup, click on it and restore - data only. If you can't see it in TB's list, reboot, relaunch TB and then look for Sprint VVM backup. When you find it, click on it, restore - data only.
    7. Launch Sprint VVM. Compose a voice message to yourself (your phone number) to test send/receive.

Getting rid of 9016 text messages:
    If you blacklist this in your messaging app (e.g., Handcent), Sprint VVM will not download your voicemail, and you'll need to dial into voicemail to retrieve messages. Instead, download SPC (in Market, it's called "Private SMS & call" by Superdroid.net). Add 9016 to the blacklist, and have SPC move all 9016 texts from your messaging apps to SPC (this is useful so that you don't have unread message counts in Handcent that reflect unread 9016 messages - if you go into Handcent or the stock messaging app, you'll see the 9016 message count roll down as the messages get moved out to SPC). SPC has its own notifications of blacklisted messages, so you'll want to turn that off in SPC settings.

Lastly, SPC is a big app at 3mb or so. But it can be moved to sdcard to minimize the memory hit (SPC has a lot of functionality which I haven't tested, but this blacklist function works fine when the app is moved to sdcard).

At this point, using a different messaging app like Handcent instead of the stock app is purely because you prefer it, not because you want to avoid 9016 messages, which you've already dealt with. If you do use Handcent or another third-party messaging app, in the stock app, turn off auto-retrieve and notifications, and have the third party app act as your sole messaging app.

Edit: Once you've installed Sprint VVM, you can delete the apk from the sdcard root.
    how come CyanogenMod doesn't include this "fix" with the releases?

Sprint VVM isnt open source. To avoid being taken to court things like this are left out.
    Holy crap - thanks! I have seen this solution before, but no one posted a backup file with it. You fixed my voicemail for the first time since I flashed the first unofficial cm7.
    Sprint vvm has always worked with cm but it is the annoying texts you get with each voicemail. You can use handcent or chomp sms and blacklist the texts fyi.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone