How to remove Nav Bar in Android 11

Search This thread

Veiran

Feb 14, 2015
How to remove navigation bar (three button) in Android 11. NOTE: Root is required to use this method!

Hi guys! Please either move or remove this thread if it's either in the wrong place or covered by another thread. This thread is intended to walk through removing the three-button navigation bar in Android 11 since the traditional way ('wm overscan') doesn't work anymore.

This is useful for if you want to use an alternative gesture system, such as Fluid Navigation Gestures (FNG). Before you get started with the below, be sure you have enabled the replacement system first. FNG's built in navbar disabler doesn't work on Android 11, so you don't need to have this switched on.

Assuming you have root already (there should be plenty of tutorials available to help you out on this), all you really need to do is download Substratum Lite and nonavbar.apk (available at: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsqLR2yZd3fMiaV4fcCSAw7trgl8AQ?e=e9ncai). Choose to install nonavbar.apk, then it should show up as a theme in 'lite'. After pressing the NoNavBar theme, you should see 'Android System (android [11])' to the left of a checkbox. After checking this box, press the '1 SELECTED' button on the bottom right. Then, press 'Install selected', restart, and get back to this screen to finally 'Enable selected'.

See for screenshots: https://photos.app.goo.gl/HL48xhsZMPMkmcdV7

And at that, you should have your replacement gestures as your primary input now! Enjoy!

I'm by no means an expert, so my ability to help with questions is limited. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

jeyd02

Apr 11, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra
Amazing! Thanks so much for looking into this, was very torn away when I couldn't disable nav bars given I used immersion mode with FNG on Android 10. Tried this on android 11 and it worked. Actually for Galaxy OneUI devices I don't need to be rooted.

You can just use the substratum lite and install synergy - OneUI compiler app. It will apply the modifications on a built in OneUI theme.

Question; how did you find or created that nonavapp.apk?

Last edited:
Reactions: PatrickRiccardo

Talli243

Jul 22, 2020
Since android 11 came out and google pulled that overscan crap, I have been scouring the net for a solution to use FNG. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Reactions: Veiranx

DanGLES3

Nov 11, 2017
Moto G5S Plus
Samsung Galaxy M51
As the creator of the Fullscreen/Immersive gestures module, I'll just say, thanks for offering users the ability to use their favorite alternative navigation methods on Android 11

It's really unfortunate that people have to be either forced to use Android's standard navigation gestures (which quite a few people dislike) or an impossible to be hidden 3 button navbar (due to the removal of Overscan)

Keep up the good work :)

QuickInfo

Sep 1, 2012
On Pixel 5, after enabling NoNavBar, there's a delay when switching between camera modes. It goes from 1 sec without it enabled to almost 5 second after enabling it

Reactions: pchel48
Excellent work!
I was looking for a solution to this problem with FNG.
Now, If I can say something about this, in my case, the Home Gesture (Swipe Up) dindt work. I reboot the phone and nothing happened. After some minutes, I decided to try this:

Configuration > Adittional Settings > Full Screen Display > Activate the option "Full Screen Gestures".

This way, I could to use the Swipe Up gesture.
To finish, I would like to know what to do to undo all this configuration when I decide not use FNG anymore. I'd really appreciate it.

NOTE: I have a xiaomi phone (MI 9).

digoduartebr

Jul 2, 2012
Substratum lite is free, but it requires another app called synergy (it's just $2, but it's annoying to have to pay for it). haha

Either way, this tutorial worked very well for my galaxy s10+, so that I could use FNG instead of the new navigation bar from android 11 (the new navigation bar is pretty good actually, but it's annoying as hell that it didn't let me disable the Google Assistant shortcut that is activated by holding the mid button). Thank you for this solution!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to remove navigation bar (three button) in Android 11. NOTE: Root is required to use this method!

Hi guys! Please either move or remove this thread if it's either in the wrong place or covered by another thread. This thread is intended to walk through removing the three-button navigation bar in Android 11 since the traditional way ('wm overscan') doesn't work anymore.

This is useful for if you want to use an alternative gesture system, such as Fluid Navigation Gestures (FNG). Before you get started with the below, be sure you have enabled the replacement system first. FNG's built in navbar disabler doesn't work on Android 11, so you don't need to have this switched on.

Assuming you have root already (there should be plenty of tutorials available to help you out on this), all you really need to do is download Substratum Lite and nonavbar.apk (available at: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsqLR2yZd3fMiaV4fcCSAw7trgl8AQ?e=e9ncai). Choose to install nonavbar.apk, then it should show up as a theme in 'lite'. After pressing the NoNavBar theme, you should see 'Android System (android [11])' to the left of a checkbox. After checking this box, press the '1 SELECTED' button on the bottom right. Then, press 'Install selected', restart, and get back to this screen to finally 'Enable selected'.

See for screenshots: https://photos.app.goo.gl/HL48xhsZMPMkmcdV7

And at that, you should have your replacement gestures as your primary input now! Enjoy!

I'm by no means an expert, so my ability to help with questions is limited. Hope this helps!
    Yep, exactly the same issue here.

Samsung S10e here. I'd previously managed to remove the nav bar using substratum, synergy and the one ui high contrast theme. No root required.

However I've just performed a system update and the nav bar returned. I've attempted to follow the exact same steps I followed previously but when attempting to "build" with Synergy it fails when attempting to install "Synergy Core Theme".

Any help appreciated. The nav bar sucks balls.
    I used hex and was able to hide the navigation bar in S21ultra running android 11

Enable 3 button nav bar
    Install and apply hex with nav bar size of 0
    Reboot.

Edit : rooting is not needed.
    As the creator of the Fullscreen/Immersive gestures module, I'll just say, thanks for offering users the ability to use their favorite alternative navigation methods on Android 11

It's really unfortunate that people have to be either forced to use Android's standard navigation gestures (which quite a few people dislike) or an impossible to be hidden 3 button navbar (due to the removal of Overscan)

Keep up the good work :)
    What's this 'hex'? Is it something devices other than from Samsung can use?

It is meant for Samsung devices.
    I would appreciate if there is the way to completely
    hide status bar in android 11 with "no display cutout magisk module".