Question How to repair corrupted sd card?

Search This thread
Aug 23, 2015
Sometimes the filesystem on the card gets corrupted. It can happen for example if the card was ejected while a file operation on it was in progress. When that happens you might have trouble accessing some of the files, loading times for some directories in file explorer may be very slow.
You can attempt to fix it using the desktop windows' built-in chkdsk utility.
Open up command prompt (start->run->cmd.exe) and type
chkdsk /X /F <SD card drive letter>
My SD card reader is X:\ drive, so i wold use the following command:
chkdsk /X /F X:
SD card reader is recommended, but probably not necessary because it should also work with WinMo's built-in USB mass storage function or wm5torage.

Under linux you can check/fix the card's filesysterm and in some cases undelete a file using fsck.vfat or dosfsck (single tool, two possible names). Refer to its help for more details.

Thanks. I've been looking for this.

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

If you have problems with your memory card in 80% of all cases the controller of your card is damaged and no software or card reader can help. You must separate the memory chip and dump the raw data to recover your data, look here: CF xD SD memory card/stick photo recovery

I think mine is damaged completely. I will try this.

danhd

Feb 17, 2009
This worked brilliantly for recovering my files - I rebuilt the BS after copying all the important files (just to be safe)

The card came back perfectly, with all files present.

Donate, because he has done an amazing job.

cgsecurity testdisk

marpat1

Nov 7, 2015
CHK DSK is not available for raw drives

Sometimes the filesystem on the card gets corrupted. It can happen for example if the card was ejected while a file operation on it was in progress. When that happens you might have trouble accessing some of the files, loading times for some directories in file explorer may be very slow.
chkdsk /X /F X:
SD card reader is recommended, but probably not necessary because it should also work with WinMo's built-in USB mass storage function or wm5torage.

Under linux you can check/fix the card's filesysterm and in some cases undelete a file using fsck.vfat or dosfsck (single tool, two possible names). Refer to its help for more details.

Used this method but i get this error "CHK DSK is not available for raw drives" please help

dd678

Feb 8, 2016
Recover Lost Data From SD Card

Sometimes it has been seen that you are unable to access the data stored in SD card, in such cases you should use the card in other device and check whether you are able to access the data. If you are unable to do so, then SD card has become corrupt. The possibility of recovering the photos, videos, other documents etc. that are saved in it is by using SD card data Recovery Software. By using this application, you would be able to recover all the data saved in card. In this way, you would be able to recover all your important stuffs saved in SD card. For more information visit the web address mentioned below:
carddata-recovery.com/blog/how-to-recover-deleted-media-files-from-memory-card

Will_Xda

Sep 29, 2012
Leicester
www.youtube.com
Used this method but i get this error "CHK DSK is not available for raw drives" please help

I have this too at the moment, I've narrowed it down to a corrupted boot sector for myself using testdisk. but most tools don't tools don't allow me too repair/create new partition table. Will post back If I manage to fix my issue

Link to testdisk:http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

ramont1

Feb 23, 2016
I have had a problem with my SD card. While on holiday in Cambodia and Thailand my camera suddenly said : Card error, while until then I could watch back all my photos. Fortunately I had an extra SD card with me and thought: well, it will be quite easy to fix it when back in the Netherlands. Back home, I tried to open my corrupted card by putting it in the cardreader of my MacBook. I got anxious when my MacBook didn't notice there was a card inserted at all. I scanned all the fora for software to recover my card, but they all didn't find any pictures on it (if they were able to detect the card at all). At that point I decided professional hulp was needed. I sent my card to a company that could restore corrupted data on no cure no pay-basis. I got more worried when I got a message from that company that the problem was really big because the controller was corrupt. Searching for this problem on the internet, I realised that this is a BIG problem. If you want to get it restored it is very expensive and it can take a couple of 100's of Euros to get it fixed (if possible at all). I came across a company on the internet, recoverfab.com , that promised a data restore also on no cure no pay-basis. They described the problem of my card on their website so I sent my card to Germany. Two days later I got a mail that my card had arrived and that they expected to let me know if my data could be restored within two days. One day later, I got an email with a temporaray link to preview the data and how many data were restored. 100% of the files!!! Comparing to other companies this was much cheaper and the service looks great. So once you won't be able to get your card restored with downloaded programs on the internet, the controller might be corrupt on your card, and this CAN be fixed but it is too difficult to do it yourself. I found communication with them very transparant and pricing is more than reasonable and can be found easily on the website. I'm glad that I dare to send my card to another country.

link to their site via google recoverfab.com

Last edited:

YUEMOON

Dec 16, 2016
chkdsk /X /F X:

I tried this sir/maam but it doesnt work, the system replied that " the type of the file system is RAW. CHKDSK is
not available for RAW drive." what should I do about it? If its like that, is there still a way for me to fix my memory card? Do I still have a chance? please help me sir/maam

25vikasp

Jan 29, 2013
Mumbai
I have Samsung class 10 evo SD card .While renaming one file the phone hanged after that memory card is not detecting saying checking errors in the phone.my PC is recognising memory card after some time.i tried to clean with cmd but it is showing me error cyclic redundancy error please check system log help please

25vikasp

Jan 29, 2013
Mumbai
Same errors

uits not working with my card :(
Code:
C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk /X /F H:
The type of the file system is FAT32.
Volume Serial Number is EAE5-6F9F
Windows is verifying files and folders...
0 percent completed.
C:\Windows\system32>
i can read my files.but cant format or do whatever.what should i do now? (MicroSD ):confused::confused:

Could you please tell me any solution if you have

mayankkmishra

Apr 3, 2017
how to fix CRC error on sd card

Hi all,

actually I try to fix error of c.r.c with my sd card, but i found no satisfaction, but I this one -chkdsk /x /f /g: but it is showing "windows is verifying files and folders" for prolong not able to sit with my computer, please tell me what to do now, should i wait or it is something not going to correct way.

pooniaprashant

Sep 14, 2014
Hey guys,

So i have a unique problem with my card. It's a 64gb SanDisc class 10. I was creating a backup of my ROM using TWRP when half way through it fails and the phone restarts. Everything appeared to be fine, I could still access everything on the card. Except I can not modify any of the files. If I delete something it will delete without error, even on my computer. But then reappears as if nothing has been touched. I was able to back up the card being that everything is permanently fixed to it. I just can't add, delete, or format anything.

I thought the boot sector was damaged so I used TestDisc to try and rebuild it with no success. TestDisc gave me the same error that the chkdsk X: /R command gives me. "The /system.ext4.win entry contains a non valid link." and "The size of the /system.ext4.win entry is not valid." I don't mind loosing the data by formatting it. I just want to use my card again. Any help is much appreciated.
same happened with me, i was taking a nandroid backup when twrp rebooted which left some kinda write protection in my microsd card due to which i am notable to format/delete or debug the microsd card via chkdsk command. When i use sdformatter to format it says sd card is write protected. When i run chkdsk it shows error in that exact twrp backup file which was created while twrp backup which was left unfinished so there no doubt about the origin of this problem. Any help regarding this would be appreciated

ozzyboy

Apr 12, 2009
Constanta
SD card corrupted

Hi, I'm Note 4 user today I've installed newest ROM of eRobot i've configured the phone settings and other stuff, and meantime the albums from gallery was disipeard ....then I checked in settings at storage I've got message with SD card corrupted(see picture below). I turned off the phone I pull out the sd card and used on other phone and on my pc and I realized that sd card it's fully functionally with all files on it.
So what can be the problrm? I guess it's something related with this vs of rom... there is a way to solve this problem? some commands from rom...
thx

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-06-19-19-25-17.png
    Screenshot_2017-06-19-19-25-17.png
    109.4 KB · Views: 169

lazarus917

Apr 25, 2016
Pisa
resolved?

same happened with me, i was taking a nandroid backup when twrp rebooted which left some kinda write protection in my microsd card due to which i am notable to format/delete or debug the microsd card via chkdsk command. When i use sdformatter to format it says sd card is write protected. When i run chkdsk it shows error in that exact twrp backup file which was created while twrp backup which was left unfinished so there no doubt about the origin of this problem. Any help regarding this would be appreciated

did you guys find any solution? i m in your (hopefully ex) situation, with a sd card that i can t use anymore.. if you fixed it someway please tell me
everything i found so far didn t worked as it didn t for you, sooo you re my last hope XD

pooniaprashant

Sep 14, 2014
did you guys find any solution? i m in your (hopefully ex) situation, with a sd card that i can t use anymore.. if you fixed it someway please tell me
everything i found so far didn t worked as it didn t for you, sooo you re my last hope XD
Lol, I tried everything, now last resort is claiming warranty, I have a strontium card which has a lifetime warranty, I'll send this one to them and they'll send me a new one, hopefully [emoji28]

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

keilita

Aug 15, 2017
Testdisk didn't work

Hi. My computer is not detecting my micro sd card (inserted with an sd card adapter) and I downloaded the Testdisk program and it didn't detect my micro sd card. Althought my computer detects a flash drive that is also corrupted or damaged, the Testdisk program didn't want to recover my files. It said something like: Select another folder.

People all over the internet tries to help giving advices and recommendations about this subject and non of the softwares that are recommended in this situation work for me. The cmd.exe, chkdsk doesn't work because cannot detect my micro sd card; Testdisk didn't work because didn't detect my micro sd card either; I read about another software called like EaseUS and didn't detect my micro sd card; I saw a video in youtube that the man in the video recommends to buy 70% rubbing alcohol (something like that) and put in a soft cloth and rub it over the disk metal (you can see in the video: SD Card,micro SD card Not detected .Quick tip ) and althoght I tried that solution it only worked with sd card adapters that weren't working before. I rubbed my micro sd card several times with that kind of alcohol that I boutght after I watched the video and my computer still doesn't detect it.

I WONDER WHAT IN THIS WORLD CAN HELP MY COMPUTER DETECT MY MICRO SD CARD (and even my flash drive. I kept it for 4 years and half just in case I can recover my old files from there, too but.... )
All that I would like to do is to whether recover my files from both disks or for my computer to detect them again.

shameer21

Nov 15, 2015
hi Guys,

I have this Strontium 64gb microsd card. For some reason im unable to write any file to the card. though i can read whats there in the card.
I tried the below methods, still my SD card is not fixed.. Pls check and lemme know if anything else has to be done.

All methods tried as administrator.
Method 1:
Normal format method by clicking on the sd card - getting "Windows was unable to complete the format"

Method 2:
From disk management tried to assign some other letter for my drive..and tried formatting..so use..getting some error.
create partition primary also not working

Method 3:
From diskpart.
list disk -> select disk 1 -> clean -> give Data error <cyclic redundancy check>"

Method 4:
From EaseUS partition manager: format - create partition primary - wipe data ---- Nothing is working.

Method 5:
chkdsk

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
The type of the file system is exFAT.
Volume Serial Number is 9C33-6BBD
Windows is verifying files and folders...
Volume label is STRONTIUM.
An error occurred while examining files and directories.
An error occurred while examining files and directories.
Corruption was found while examining files and directories.
File and folder verification is complete.
The volume has been successfully checked, but Windows was unable
to mark the volume as clean.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

62946304 KB total disk space.
48463872 KB in 10566 files.
43904 KB in 341 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
256 KB in use by the system.
14438272 KB available on disk.

131072 bytes in each allocation unit.
491768 total allocation units on disk.
112799 allocation units available on disk.

Any of the above methods didnt work for me.. Guy please help to get my sd card working again.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    chkdsk /X /F X:

Instructions
    things you'll need:

* SD Card
    * Computer
    * Internet Connection

If your aim is to repair a corrupted SD card so that you can use it to store files then proceed to step #2.
    If your aim is to recover the files on the SD card without erasing them, proceed to step #5.

Insert the SD card into a digital camera card slot and choose to format your card. If this doesn't work then move on to the next step...

Place the SD card into your computers SD card slot.
    Right click on the SD card drive letter IF it appears and choose to "format."
    If this doesn't work, proceed to the next step...

www.sdcard.org
    You will need to go to the website
    http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/eula/
    Here you will download, install, and run the program to format your SD card. This is the most advanced step of the three, but most likely to work 99% of the time.

www.cgsecurity.org

If you want to recover files ON your SD without erasing them, then you need to download and run the software on this site.
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download
    This is the best free software available for this type of problem.

:D
    don t format in the name of GOD!!!

Please all keep in mind>>>> drive recovery pro is a nice solution,but formatting a hard drive is ok,and important.NOT A SD CARD!!!The continous files are different from the usual hard drive files!!
    NO NEED FORMATTING!!!
    In fact>>formatting an SD card lower the life time of the card with a good year or more!!Anyhow they made to survive only around two years!!!
    The continous upload and erase sssions are killing the SD card.BUT FORMATTING IS TH BIGGEST KILLER.Check the experts,what they say???

Corrupted cards can be deffected from factory as wel,but drive check and restore is the best.The sectors are damaged,and not the fragmantation....

helios
    chkdsk /X /F X:

Thank you man, you are a life saver.....
    Repairing a corrupted SD card.

DriveRestore Professional will not re-format a corrupted SD card. Formatting is NOT recommended as formatting will erase all the data on the SD card. DriveRestore Professional will analyse the boot sector (that ALL drives have e.g. FAT16 and FAT32 file systems on an SD card), it will detect errors in the boot sector and then repair the errors. When the card is repaired, ALL the files will be accessible and the card is fully repaired.