• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How to replace the mainboard

Search This thread

huebinger

Aug 18, 2009
I bricked my TF300T as hard as possible and I don't want to pay a fortune to asus for fixing my tablet.
So I bought an used mainboard for 75 EUR / 97 US$ and replaced the bricked one.

First, if don't have any experiences in electronic stuff, don't read further.
What ever you do, you do it on your own risc.

Let's start:

Step 1: Case back removed from the tab
Remove the back with your fingernails, popping it open between the black border, and the plastic backing.
Be careful near the buttons and headphone jack.

Step 2: Remove tapes and the heatsink
Take off the heatsink carefully. Some glue fixes it on the cpu.
On the left and on the right site are black or grey tapes. Remove the tapes carefully.

Your tablet looks like this now (see mainboard.jpg)
See mainboard2.jpg for the colored hints.

Step 3: Disconnect the battery (orange loop 1)
Remove the cable with you fingernails. Don't pull the lines!
Pull with you fingernails at both sides of the connector.

Step 4: Disconnect the free cable (orange loop 2,3)

Step 5: Unlock ribbon cable and disconnect (blue loop 4,5,6)
The ribbon cables are locked. To unlock open the locking bar.
Now you can pull off then ribbon cable easily.

Step 7: Remove cameras (red and green loop)
Lift up the parts with the qr-code on.

Step 8: Remove the screws (greens loop)

Step 9: Unfix the ribbon cable from the mainboard (red arrow C)
the buttstraps are sticking on the board. It's easy to tear them off.

Step 10: Remove the board
Caution, don't spoil the ribbon cable (red arrow B). Close to red arrow A is a small black part, made of rubber.
Remember it's position and catch it while you are removing the board.

Done!
Take the new mainboard and install it. Follow the steps in reverse order.
Caution ! . The black pin must fit into the whole of the mainboard! (see pink arrow)

That's all!
Good luck! :good:

Attachments

• mainboard.jpg
    mainboard.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 2,828
  • mainboard2.jpg
    mainboard2.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 3,080

huebinger

Aug 18, 2009
I don't know anything about incompatible motherboards. Probably some ribbon cable were not installed tight enough.
Just ask the mainboard dealer.

Thanks for this. Very appreciated.

I will be ordering a replacement board soon to fix my bricked TF300T. However, I've read that some people found their touch unresponsive after doing this, they were even saying that the touch board and motherboard had to be compatible ?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2091233&

Reactions: yhung1
Nov 13, 2010
I bricked my TF300T as hard as possible and I don't want to pay a fortune to asus for fixing my tablet.

Thanks for this guide, I fixed my TF300t.

nickjensen89

Mar 10, 2014

Let's start:

Remove the back with your fingernails, popping it open between the black border, and the plastic backing.

On the left and on the right site are black or grey tapes. Remove the tapes carefully.

Caution, don't spoil the ribbon cable (red arrow B). Close to red arrow A is a small black part, made of rubber.

Done!
Caution ! . The black pin must fit into the whole of the mainboard! (see pink arrow)

That's all!

Thank you for your detailed instructions and pictures. I was able to successfully remove my main board and replace with a used one from eBay. My bricked Tablet is up and running again for under $70!

be4con

Oct 21, 2010
Sorry to resurrect an old thread like this, but wanted to say a big thanks for helping me get my bricked tablet back up and running.

I have a question someone might be able to help with - my TF300T is UK and the mobo I replaced was from the US as I couldn't source a 2nd hand UK one.

As far as unlocking, rooting and bootloaders and such do I now treat my whole tablet as a US tablet? Does anyone know? I assume so as it's now listed with build number JOP40D.US_epad-10.6.1.15.3-20130416 but don't want a 2nd brick.

Thanks

mikebzh44

Dec 22, 2010
Thanks for this tuto, it's help me a lot to change my motherboard ;)

BTW, there is a little switch on the motherboard, that you should turn OFF before plugging or unplugging wires :

So, the right way to change motherboard is :
- set switch to OFF on the old and new MB
- remove wires
- remove MB
- put the new MB
- plug wires
- check all and then set switch to ON

das chaos

Jan 28, 2014
Sorry to resurrect an old thread like this, but wanted to say a big thanks for helping me get my bricked tablet back up and running.

I have a question someone might be able to help with - my TF300T is UK and the mobo I replaced was from the US as I couldn't source a 2nd hand UK one.

As far as unlocking, rooting and bootloaders and such do I now treat my whole tablet as a US tablet? Does anyone know? I assume so as it's now listed with build number JOP40D.US_epad-10.6.1.15.3-20130416 but don't want a 2nd brick.

Thanks

I did replace my logic board also with a spare part from USA, but didn't care and flashed WW SKU - and it worked. But don't sue me if it doesn't work for you.As far as I understand the whole architecture, bootloader is the same on all SKU versions; that counts, because you will change the other partitions anyway by flashing custom ROM. But: don't sue me!

Last edited:
Reactions: be4con

be4con

Oct 21, 2010
That's cool man, in the end I flashed WW too and the were no problems and I've been running it for months now without issue, so a sample size of 2 says that was the right choice ;)

lowrider13

May 15, 2012
Picked up a motherboard from US on ebay, got it shipped to UK. Just used this guide and chucked it in my expensive paperweight - MY TABLET LIVES. Thank you Huebinger!

CantaloupMelon

Jan 26, 2016
I'm hoping someone can help. I've replaced the motherboard with one I purchased off of ebay (actually a busted screen) for pretty cheap. The issue I'm having, is I do get life, but it's the red led next to the power button blinks twice when I try to power it on. Did I miss something in the repair?

CantaloupMelon

Jan 26, 2016
Figured out my isse.

I'm hoping someone can help. I've replaced the motherboard with one I purchased off of ebay (actually a busted screen) for pretty cheap. The issue I'm having, is I do get life, but it's the red led next to the power button blinks twice when I try to power it on. Did I miss something in the repair?

Well, I unplugged the battery, and left it on the charger, and it worked fine. so it was my battery that was broken. so technically I replaced the Motherboard for no reason. Oh well,
Thanks for the tutorial. A good suggestion to help understand how and where things flip up, is to watch a video on how to replace the battery, technically most of the cables used in changing out the battery are done for the motherboard too. Good luck all.

So we're currently in a bit of a heat wave here in Brisbane, Australia, and I think the heat has affected the glue on the tape around the power switch ribbon (the unit continually reboots after displaying the Asus logo - doesn't get to the ROM splash screen at all!). Does anyone know how I could look up a part number for it?

pdechad

Dec 29, 2015
Replaced a motherboard on tf300t that Asus quoted me $224 to do, out of warranty ...... Cost $30 to buy motherboard on Ebay. Followed description on the first post and have revived a dead tablet. Thank you, huebinger for your big time help!

pvsgh

Nov 16, 2011
Replaced a motherboard on tf300t that Asus quoted me $224 to do, out of warranty ...... Cost $30 to buy motherboard on Ebay. Followed description on the first post and have revived a dead tablet. Thank you, huebinger for your big time help!

Can you provide a link from where you bought it? I'm planning to buy one but don't want to take a risk of getting a bad one.

pdechad

Dec 29, 2015
Struggling with copy and paste but I just went into Ebay.com and searched for motherboards for tf300t. There's a variety of pricing. I opened my tablet and compared what I saw to what was in a picture and take a chance. Mine worked out very well. better than what I would have paid.......the posting with pictures does a nice job of explaining step by step.

Sent from my TF300T using XDA-Developers mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Let's start:

Done!

That's all!

I will be ordering a replacement board soon to fix my bricked TF300T. However, I've read that some people found their touch unresponsive after doing this, they were even saying that the touch board and motherboard had to be compatible ?

I don't know anything about incompatible motherboards. Probably some ribbon cable were not installed tight enough.
    Just ask the mainboard dealer.

Thanks

I did replace my logic board also with a spare part from USA, but didn't care and flashed WW SKU - and it worked. But don't sue me if it doesn't work for you.As far as I understand the whole architecture, bootloader is the same on all SKU versions; that counts, because you will change the other partitions anyway by flashing custom ROM. But: don't sue me!