How to restore your DS7

Search This thread

mooch777

Apr 6, 2010
This may void your warranty, cost you your soul, and cause your spouse to leave you - ALL OF WHICH I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR!

So, if it's because you screwed up flashing something, bricked your tablet with an OTA update after you installed CWM, or whatever, this is how you get it back to its outta-da-box shape!
(Please note, this assumes you have both installed CWM on your DS7 AND have installed the latest SDK on your computer).

1. Download the three attached .img files
2. Boot into CWM (since there really isn't anything else you can do)
3. In CWM, mount your SD card (so that you can view files via USB)
4. Plug in your DS7 to your computer, and copy the three .img files to the root of your SD card
5. Unmount your SD card, but leave the USB cable plugged into computer
6. Mount as many things as you can (ie system, boot, etc)
7. Open up command prompt, and navigate to your Android/tools folder, and type "adb devices"
8. There should be a number that shows up, or a "?" - either at this point is fine
9. Type the following command:
Code:
adb shell
a hash tag should show up that looks like this:
Code:
#~
10. Now, type the follow two commands one at a time:
Code:
flash_image /dev/block/mmcblk3p2 /sdcard/boot_orig.img
flash_image /dev/block/mmcblk3p1 /sdcard/recovery_orig.img
11. now, select "reboot" from DWM to reboot your device. It should boot and say something like "Formating Misc", and then it will reboot repeatedly
12. Use something small to push the RESET button on the DS7 (it's next to the SD card slot)
Your screen should go blank
13. Now, press and hold both the POWER button and the VOLUME - button until the screen comes on saying that the "fastboot downloader" is booted
14. Copy the three .img files into the your Android/tools folder
15. Now type the following code:
Code:
fastboot devices
16. There should be a number that shows up, or a "?" - either at this point is fine once again
17. Now type the following commands one at a time. The first will take a while to complete - this is okay:
Code:
fastboot flash system system_orig.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery_orig.img
fastboot flash boot boot_orig.img
Now, if after every command a "finished." is given, along with the total time each command took, you may continue.
18. You may now type the triumphant command:
Code:
fastboot reboot
Which will reboot your device.

Give it a little bit to boot, but when all is done you should see the original T-Mobile boot animation and everything.

Special thanks to DJ_Steve, bogdi1988, and [email protected] for all your help!

Needed files:
system_orig.img
recovery_orig.img
boot_orig.img

[Edit]
For those users who need the original "flash_image.zip" file, I have uploaded it and it is available here.

PS: As an added note: **** you Koush! From all of the DS7 community!

Last edited:

jiwengang

Feb 6, 2011
New York
www.opinionatedfool.com
This may void your warranty, cost you your soul, and cause your spouse to leave you - ALL OF WHICH I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR!

So, if it's because you screwed up flashing something, bricked your tablet with an OTA update after you installed CWM, or whatever, this is how you get it back to its outta-da-box shape!
(Please note, this assumes you have both installed CWM on your DS7 AND have installed the latest SDK on your computer).

4. Plug in your DS7 to your computer, and copy the three .img files to the root of your SD card
7. Open up command prompt, and navigate to your Android/tools folder, and type "adb devices"
8. There should be a number that shows up, or a "?" - either at this point is fine
Code:
adb shell
Code:
#~
Code:
11. now, select "reboot" from DWM to reboot your device. It should boot and say something like "Formating Misc", and then it will reboot repeatedly
12. Use something small to push the RESET button on the DS7 (it's next to the SD card slot)
13. Now, press and hold both the POWER button and the VOLUME - button until the screen comes on saying that the "fastboot downloader" is booted
Code:
fastboot devices
16. There should be a number that shows up, or a "?" - either at this point is fine once again
17. Now type the following commands one at a time. The first will take a while to complete - this is okay:
Code:
Now, if after every command a "finished." is given, along with the total time each command took, you may continue.
Code:
fastboot reboot

Give it a little bit to boot, but when all is done you should see the original T-Mobile boot animation and everything.

Needed files:
system_orig.img
recovery_orig.img
boot_orig.img

Thanked using the Thanks button and Thanks for your post!

Just to remind me a little as I may miss something,
why we **** Koush? It is not his fault that we stuck at CWM, or is it????

graffixnyc

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com

No its not his fault.. people shouldn't have tried to install the ota update while having cwr installed.. instead should have waited for a zip of the update that hell posted on behalf of did steve. As I have said if you have cwr you really can't get ota updates and install them the normal way. If the update was an update.zip you could flash through cwr but dell uses pgk files not zip.. so the only way to update is to wait for a dev to release a flashable cwr zip fike

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA App

mooch777

Apr 6, 2010
The reason I made this post was so that we could have one concise, iD10t proof solution for people who were dumb like me. There's other posts, but you have to go back and forth to get the solution.

And the "Koush-****ing" was because of his unannounced abandonment of his projects, and those he was working with.

And thank you for the kind thanks! :)

Sent from my Dell Streak 7 using XDA App

graffixnyc

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
The reason I made this post was so that we could have one concise, iD10t proof solution for people who were dumb like me. There's other posts, but you have to go back and forth to get the solution.

And the "Koush-****ing" was because of his unannounced abandonment of his projects, and those he was working with.

And thank you for the kind thanks! :)

Sent from my Dell Streak 7 using XDA App

Did he retire completely?

dj_ski69

Dec 22, 2007
Hi,
I am the situation described above as I tried the OTA and am now stuck in CWR.
I followed the directions putting the 3 files on the root of my DS7 and am stuck at the following:

~ # flash_image /dev/block/mmcblk3p2 /sdcard/boot_orig.img
failed with error: -1
~ #

Any ideas.....?

Thanks

SkI

MIKEBOTS

Mar 7, 2008
Error 1

Error 1 means that the file is not where it is supposed to be. In this case on the SD card. Check and make sure that you have the right file, with the right file name on the root of your SD card and try again!

Good Luck

dfspot

Nov 26, 2007
ATL, GA
Hi,
I am the situation described above as I tried the OTA and am now stuck in CWR.
I followed the directions putting the 3 files on the root of my DS7 and am stuck at the following:

~ # flash_image /dev/block/mmcblk3p2 /sdcard/boot_orig.img
failed with error: -1
~ #

+1 same here...

I find that at step 3... I mount sdcard... it shows on PC... I copy the 3 files to drive... unmount sdcard... mount everything else... run the other commands then get error... when I repeat the process I notice the files I copied are not there... ?

so I tried to adb push the files... they say they went thru correctly... but still get the same result as above...

any ideas?

jiwengang

Feb 6, 2011
New York
www.opinionatedfool.com

+1 same here...

I find that at step 3... I mount sdcard... it shows on PC... I copy the 3 files to drive... unmount sdcard... mount everything else... run the other commands then get error... when I repeat the process I notice the files I copied are not there... ?

so I tried to adb push the files... they say they went thru correctly... but still get the same result as above...

any ideas?

when you adp push to sdcard, make sure you mounted it already.

after that , it always help to adb shell ls /sdcard to make sure all files are there.

then you go to adb shell,

use the stock flash_image to flash. remember point to the path to flash_image

eg. flash_image /dev/block/mmcblk3p2 /sdcard/boot_orig.img

jiwengang

Feb 6, 2011
New York
www.opinionatedfool.com
my understanding, if you don't mount sdcard, you canot see your sdcard FROM the tablet's perspective.

I mean, for table's flash_image to work, it has to be able to access its drive, in this case, is sdcard 's content.

so did you try leave sdcard mount and do the command above?

chris73

Jan 30, 2010
I soooooooooooooo happy I was able to fix my Streak 7......yahooooooooo

I was missing the correct flash_image file which i took from the Galaxy Tab flash_image which is the same for the Dell and follow the direction and I now up again.......

Thanks guys

Attachments

• flash_image.zip
    46.4 KB · Views: 343

lou0611

Sep 24, 2008
Yardley

I was missing the correct flash_image file which i took from the Galaxy Tab flash_image which is the same for the Dell and follow the direction and I now up again.......

Thanks guys

What command did you do.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA App

lou0611

Sep 24, 2008
Yardley

Thanks guys

do I need to push flash_image to my tablet?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:
    adb shell
    Code:
    #~
    Code:
    Code:
    fastboot devices
    Code:
    Code:
    fastboot reboot

Needed files:
    system_orig.img
    recovery_orig.img
    boot_orig.img

[Edit]
    For those users who need the original "flash_image.zip" file, I have uploaded it and it is available here.

Code:
    adb shell
    Code:
    #~
    Code:
    Code:
    fastboot devices
    Code:
    Code:
    fastboot reboot

Needed files:
    system_orig.img
    recovery_orig.img
    boot_orig.img

Just what was needed

sent from somewhere
    In adb shell I type mount and get this..

rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)

tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,relatime,mode=755)

devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=600)

proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)

sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)

/dev/block/mmcblk3p4 on /cache type ext3 (rw,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue,data=writeback)

/dev/block/mmcblk3p7 on /data type ext3 (rw,relatime,data=writeback)

/dev/block/mmcblk3p14 on /sdcard type vfat (rw,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)

/dev/block/mmcblk3p3 on /system type ext2 (rw,relatime,errors=continue)

The line in bold is the problem!!!! The /sdcard/ is vfat? and the error i get is -ro meaning read only!

Dell Streak 7 tablets that get the -ro on SDCARD are stuck on read only and as of now there isn't anything we can do!

Tried remounting in rw mode but no success!!
    Dont know where these files are anymore, I might have them on one of my PCs. Not sure. What are you trying to do? Go back to stock or what? If not stock, Just fastboot the CWM over and get a rom installed. =)