• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How to revert back to Oreo app switcher and recents on Pie

Search This thread

23Six

Nov 7, 2012
Notes:
Code:
This also re-enables holding recents for multiwindow.
This removes Swipe up to Home from [I]Settings > System > Gestures[/I], so turn it off before reverting to Oreo method

Adb:
1) Enable USB Debugging
2) Execute adb shell in your terminal of choice on desktop
3) Type 'pm uninstall --user 0 com.google.android.apps.nexuslauncher

If you wish to revertto the Pie navigation, simply reinstall 'Pixel Launcher' from the Play Store. It will return immediately.

Source

---------------------

Root method:

(1) Disable Pixel Launcher with an app like this.
Re-enable to revert back

Last edited:

NoSLoppy

Aug 8, 2013
Now no home app at all

while this does indeed revert to the Oreo version of recents, it also wipes out the entire launcher, so I have no home app available! Just sits here saying "phone is starting" About to reinstall pixel launcher, I hope all my customizations and icon placements haven't been lost!

mac796

Aug 20, 2014
Long Beach
@23Six thanks for this

Works good for me I just froze it and titanium backup I'm using Nova Launcher

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

while this does indeed revert to the Oreo version of recents, it also wipes out the entire launcher, so I have no home app available! Just sits here saying "phone is starting" About to reinstall pixel launcher, I hope all my customizations and icon placements haven't been lost!

Yeah you're going to need to use some launcher like I use Nova Launcher I don't think your phone will work if you don't have any launcher set

Last edited:

23Six

Nov 7, 2012
Yeah I forgot to mention that that Pixel Launcher is interested with Pie navigation system so they come (and go) as a pair. You shouldn't lose your home layout since disabling does not remove app data as it does not uninstall.

And if you did uninstall, then you're in luck because Pixel Launcher home layout is backed up in the cloud (for Pixel phones at least).

zilexa

Sep 14, 2010
You are a lifesaver, thanks so much! This post should definitely be on the xda homepage because I have been searching for weeks!
Works perfectly on my Pixel 1 after the 9.0 OTA. I am using Lawnchair as launcher.

BabeShaq

Oct 19, 2017
Thank you so much! It feels so goooood to have the classic app switcher back.

The link for the root app doesn't work anymore, so in case anyone is wondering, it's "Chef's freezer".

djrocks

Nov 7, 2014
Awesome tip... Unfortunately, there is no way to lock a particular app from getting cleared from memory when you hit the clear all button.. Earlier versions had this feature.. (lock button)

thesebastian

Sep 25, 2012
Barcelona
This is awesome, new Overview in PIE is SO damn slow and uncomfortable, compared to the old one.

Is there any way to disable this with ADB but keep using Pixel launcher? I don't want to use Nova. I love the simplicity of the Pixel Launcher but I hate the slowness of the new Overview.

miguel7501

Sep 7, 2016
This is awesome, new Overview in PIE is SO damn slow and uncomfortable, compared to the old one.

Is there any way to disable this with ADB but keep using Pixel launcher? I don't want to use Nova. I love the simplicity of the Pixel Launcher but I hate the slowness of the new Overview.

Modded Pixel launchers should be just fine as they use different package names, however I did not test this.

Reactions: thesebastian

thesebastian

Sep 25, 2012
Barcelona
Modded Pixel launchers should be just fine as they use different package names, however I did not test this.
Yes the modded pixel launchers can be installed however, in the "Rootless Launcher" if I install the special APK to enable Google Feed integration it fails to install because it requires Pixel launcher to be uninstalled.

I guess the only way to downgrade to a previous Pixel Launcher is to root the phone and completely uninstall the system Pixel launcher first, right?

I assume there is no other way to downgrade a system app

Sent from my Pixel 2

Last edited:

djrocks

Nov 7, 2014
Is there any way to retain the lock app feature on the overview section? This way, all apps that are locked won't be cleared when you click on clear all... I know I've asked this before.. But couldn't find it anywhere else..

Reactions: moSess

DeveloperMa

Oct 29, 2018
Launcher3

Notes:
Code:
This removes Swipe up to Home from [I]Settings > System > Gestures[/I], so turn it off before reverting to Oreo method

Adb:
1) Enable USB Debugging

If you wish to revertto the Pie navigation, simply reinstall 'Pixel Launcher' from the Play Store. It will return immediately.

---------------------

Root method:

(1) Disable Pixel Launcher with an app like
Re-enable to revert back

So this probably works for almost everybody.

For me though it did not. I happen to have Xiaomi Mi A1 and in there it is still named launcher3, even on Android Pie. Weird right?
So to revert if you have my problem use. 3) "pm uninstall --user 0 com.android.launcher3".

Still very helpful post and link to Reddit! Thank you!

Reactions: trachyte

slarti76

Jun 29, 2018
Do you know if there's any chance with Pie that there will be a Recent Apps Switcher that doesn't remove apps from the list automatically?
Till Oreo, my Recent Apps button also worked as a kind of "To Do Reminder": By scrolling thru the apps I saw what I started and still had to come back to. With Oreo, even the "Lock" icon on the apps didn't help - Android just removed older entries, even if the app was still in memory (I could tell because when I started it again from the launcher, it came up immediately).
So my hope is that the new custom app switcher abilities could gives us a switcher that can be customized when to remove apps (my choice: "Never" :)

So can I hope or does the concept not allow that?

Reactions: chrcol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Notes:
    Code:

Adb:
    1) Enable USB Debugging

Source

---------------------

Root method:

(1) Disable Pixel Launcher with an app like this.
    Re-enable to revert back
    What is LOS and what is Trebuchet (I know only the font). Can you elaborate??

LOS = Lineage OS
    Trebuchet = Home screen launcher

i only have used stock on a pixel so im betting they havent got a open source google launcher replica yet.
    Does this work on oneplus 6?

For OnePlus users, try 'pm uninstall --user 0 net.oneplus.launcher'
    Let's hope someone will find a solution for those like me who like the vertical app switcher from Oreo...
    Stopping force removed apps

Do you know if there's any chance with Pie that there will be a Recent Apps Switcher that doesn't remove apps from the list automatically?
    Till Oreo, my Recent Apps button also worked as a kind of "To Do Reminder": By scrolling thru the apps I saw what I started and still had to come back to. With Oreo, even the "Lock" icon on the apps didn't help - Android just removed older entries, even if the app was still in memory (I could tell because when I started it again from the launcher, it came up immediately).
    So my hope is that the new custom app switcher abilities could gives us a switcher that can be customized when to remove apps (my choice: "Never" :)

So can I hope or does the concept not allow that?

Hello slarti,

So as far as I know you cannot change this behaviour, not even with developer options or ADB.
    The only thing I could think of is custom ROMs. If you are okay with flashing your own rom, which I assume as you are here on XDA.

You could search for ROMs using less aggressive app cleaning. With this I mean not removing the app from the app switch list.
    I don't know enough custom ROMs to recommend you one.

Greetings somedeveloper