How to revert back to Oreo app switcher and recents on Pie

Search This thread

DeveloperMa

Oct 29, 2018
Stopping force removed apps

Do you know if there's any chance with Pie that there will be a Recent Apps Switcher that doesn't remove apps from the list automatically?
Till Oreo, my Recent Apps button also worked as a kind of "To Do Reminder": By scrolling thru the apps I saw what I started and still had to come back to. With Oreo, even the "Lock" icon on the apps didn't help - Android just removed older entries, even if the app was still in memory (I could tell because when I started it again from the launcher, it came up immediately).
So my hope is that the new custom app switcher abilities could gives us a switcher that can be customized when to remove apps (my choice: "Never" :)

So can I hope or does the concept not allow that?

Hello slarti,

So as far as I know you cannot change this behaviour, not even with developer options or ADB.
The only thing I could think of is custom ROMs. If you are okay with flashing your own rom, which I assume as you are here on XDA.

You could search for ROMs using less aggressive app cleaning. With this I mean not removing the app from the app switch list.
I don't know enough custom ROMs to recommend you one.

Greetings somedeveloper

zilexa

Sep 14, 2010
I just updated my Pixel 1 to Android 10 and bad news. Anyone who was using the pre-Android 9 style Recent Apps: your recent apps button will stop working.

I suppose you will have to revert to make the button work again. But then you are stuck to the new style Recent Apps which still sucks hard.

Ghisy

Mar 27, 2010
I just updated my Pixel 1 to Android 10 and bad news. Anyone who was using the pre-Android 9 style Recent Apps: your recent apps button will stop working.

I suppose you will have to revert to make the button work again. But then you are stuck to the new style Recent Apps which still sucks hard.
Ugh, such bad news! I won't update for a while! Not cool Google!

siggey

Aug 10, 2009
Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
Finally the world goes on... I don't know why people buys Pixels, the most updated phone on market, and complain about updates..?.. If you like old android release, buy an LG or whatever but not a pixel, is simple...

quera

Dec 10, 2011
Finally the world goes on... I don't know why people buys Pixels, the most updated phone on market, and complain about updates..?.. If you like old android release, buy an LG or whatever but not a pixel, is simple...

Well, I don't like old android release, but I like to switch apps in a rapid fashion, even though it means I don't get an iOS style recent apps.

Ghisy

Mar 27, 2010
Well, I don't like old android release, but I like to switch apps in a rapid fashion, even though it means I don't get an iOS style recent apps.
Same here! The new app switcher is too slow and cumbersome. The older one is much faster and convenient!

Master Cylinder

Oct 31, 2013
Albuquerque

Yep! 10 + Titanium Backup Freeze + Nova Launcher = no workee. :crying: Some people like the carousel, but I loathe it!

EDIT: There are some cool animations and screen changes on 10 though.

Last edited:

catawalks

Nov 29, 2011
I'm interested in this too. I can't stand the horizontal recent app menu. It's so much less convenient than being able to see several of the most recent apps. With all the new features they implements in 10 I don't see why they didn't just make it an option with different choices. Single app card layout like on an iPhone, several apps card layout like on an iPad, vertical layer switching like Android used to have, hell....I'd even take a list view if it meant more than one recent app on the screen at a time.

slarti76

Jun 29, 2018
I'm interested in this too. I can't stand the horizontal recent app menu. It's so much less convenient than being able to see several of the most recent apps. With all the new features they implements in 10 I don't see why they didn't just make it an option with different choices. Single app card layout like on an iPhone, several apps card layout like on an iPad, vertical layer switching like Android used to have, hell....I'd even take a list view if it meant more than one recent app on the screen at a time.
IMHO the app switcher is the one area in Android which got constantly worse over the last few versions.
I mean, they're always talking about better multi-tasking and stuff, and start by purposely* removing apps from your recent apps list! As if you would ever only switch between three apps! Imagine Microsoft decided to only show three windows with Alt-Tab.
On top of that, almost everything is customizable or can be replaced by third-party apps - not the app switcher :(

* "Fun" fact: After updating a phone from Oreo to Pie, first call of App Switcher shows me all apps I used in the last few months - so the information is still stored somewhere. And then deliberately deleted by the app switcher. Arrrgh...

Reactions: SGH-i200

republicano

Mar 11, 2010
The old recents should still be in the phone as thats stock and we are currently stuck with googles exclusive.
I haven't managed to find a way to revert yet but i see its linked with the navigation bar so you need googles launcher for the gestures to work.

i will see how long i can managed before i revert back to android 9.0

Last edited:

slarti76

Jun 29, 2018
I know might be a little off-topic (because it's not Pixel 2-specific), but if you're running LOS and are using another launcher, you can just freeze Trebuchet (probably not good to uninstall). This immediately gave me back the vertical task scroller from previous Androids. At least on Pie, dunno about Q. Still, old tasks are being removed, but at least you see more than one app at a time again...

zilexa

Sep 14, 2010
I know might be a little off-topic (because it's not Pixel 2-specific), but if you're running LOS and are using another launcher, you can just freeze Trebuchet (probably not good to uninstall). This immediately gave me back the vertical task scroller from previous Androids. At least on Pie, dunno about Q. Still, old tasks are being removed, but at least you see more than one app at a time again...

What is LOS and what is Trebuchet (I know only the font). Can you elaborate??

chrcol

Jan 17, 2012
UK
Do you know if there's any chance with Pie that there will be a Recent Apps Switcher that doesn't remove apps from the list automatically?
Till Oreo, my Recent Apps button also worked as a kind of "To Do Reminder": By scrolling thru the apps I saw what I started and still had to come back to. With Oreo, even the "Lock" icon on the apps didn't help - Android just removed older entries, even if the app was still in memory (I could tell because when I started it again from the launcher, it came up immediately).
So my hope is that the new custom app switcher abilities could gives us a switcher that can be customized when to remove apps (my choice: "Never" :)

yep I am noticing this, its stupid behaviour.

---------- Post added at 16:26 ---------- Previous post was at 16:22 ----------

Yep :good:

thanks I just frozen oneplus launcher and it fixed, thats far better advice than advice given in OP and on XDA front page, freezing is far less destructive.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Notes:
    Code:
    This also re-enables holding recents for multiwindow.
    This removes Swipe up to Home from [I]Settings > System > Gestures[/I], so turn it off before reverting to Oreo method

Adb:
    1) Enable USB Debugging
    2) Execute adb shell in your terminal of choice on desktop
    3) Type 'pm uninstall --user 0 com.google.android.apps.nexuslauncher

If you wish to revertto the Pie navigation, simply reinstall 'Pixel Launcher' from the Play Store. It will return immediately.

Source

---------------------

Root method:

(1) Disable Pixel Launcher with an app like this.
    Re-enable to revert back
    What is LOS and what is Trebuchet (I know only the font). Can you elaborate??

LOS = Lineage OS
    Trebuchet = Home screen launcher

i only have used stock on a pixel so im betting they havent got a open source google launcher replica yet.
    Does this work on oneplus 6?

For OnePlus users, try 'pm uninstall --user 0 net.oneplus.launcher'
    Let's hope someone will find a solution for those like me who like the vertical app switcher from Oreo...
    Stopping force removed apps

Hello slarti,

So as far as I know you cannot change this behaviour, not even with developer options or ADB.
    The only thing I could think of is custom ROMs. If you are okay with flashing your own rom, which I assume as you are here on XDA.

You could search for ROMs using less aggressive app cleaning. With this I mean not removing the app from the app switch list.
    I don't know enough custom ROMs to recommend you one.

Greetings somedeveloper
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone