[HOW-TO][ROOT][5.02][SGP621] Rooted Lollipop on Locked Bootloader

Search This thread

Chima2

Apr 25, 2012
Stein's Gate
I'm finding this guide simple, yet a little frustrating. This is because of the wording in the guide.

Edit 5: Success! I had some trouble using ADB but that worked out once I read a step-by-step. I managed to get root by using Kingroot, not giefroot. After getting root I flashed and ADB'ed my way to having dual recovery. After that getting the prerooted 5.1.1 by +godraxe went without a hitch!

I've noticed I can't boot into recovery though, and have to use chmod command every time. But no matter. Thanks for this guide!

Last edited:

ecksdeeay

Aug 18, 2012
Sony Xperia 5 II
Sony Xperia 5 III
I have tried downgrading from Lollipop back to step one without wipe in Flashtool but I think the system data are incompatible and caused bootloop.
I had insufficient internal memory show up (during my few first few efforts) so that's more likely the problem without 'WIPE'.
Other Cons (but significantly outweighed by the Pros;)) had some trouble with not noticing adb allow on the tablet, Excluded all the TA (locked to Vodafone UK) shown from the 'CE' ftf......but after all that it went very smoothly.
:highfive:
Flashed a UK kitkat ftf now but was harder to root for some reason, now on latest 23.4.A.1.232 ftf with root and XZDR.
Though when I had the update showing in PCC I thought it was the .200 release, though after installing prerooted the installed version shows as .232 ? :-?

Last edited:

hunibu

Feb 5, 2014
OTA Updates?

I never worked with pre-rooted roms, so please excuse my probably dumb question:

On my rooted Z1C (KitKat, rooted with Kingroot), I could install minor OTA updates (e.g. 4.4.3 > 4.4.4) without loosing root. After major updates (4.4.4 > 5.x) I obviously would loose root.

After flashing the currently available pre-rooted LP 5.1.1 Rom on my new Z3TC as described here, would I be able to install minor OTA updates without loosing root or would I need flash the new pre-rooted rom each time? That would concern my as I am too lazy to flash every minor update, but might miss potentially important security updates that way.

Cheers :good:
hunibu

CrazyPeter

Sep 1, 2010
I'm finding this guide simple, yet a little frustrating. This is because of the wording in the guide.

Edit 5: Success! I had some trouble using ADB but that worked out once I read a step-by-step. I managed to get root by using Kingroot, not giefroot. After getting root I flashed and ADB'ed my way to having dual recovery. After that getting the prerooted 5.1.1 by +godraxe went without a hitch!

I've noticed I can't boot into recovery though, and have to use chmod command every time. But no matter. Thanks for this guide!
This thread is confusing because its been hijacked. Some users have locked bootloader, dome don't, some people care about DRM keys, some don't.

Different devices, different objectives. Hey again, a thread has been turned into a confusing mush of conflicting information :(

Worst of all, poor English means it add to confusion. For example, original post implies you are installing the firmware onto your SD card using a tool called"DualRecovery" and phrases like " now you will have TWRP to install 23.1.A.0.690 NOBA on your SD card."

Last edited:
Reactions: abutalal171

abutalal171

Jun 2, 2013
This thread is confusing because its been hijacked. Some users have locked bootloader, dome don't, some people care about DRM keys, some don't.

Different devices, different objectives. Hey again, a thread has been turned into a confusing mush of conflicting information :(

Worst of all, poor English means it add to confusion. For example, original post implies you are installing the firmware onto your SD card using a tool called"DualRecovery" and phrases like " now you will have TWRP to install 23.1.A.0.690 NOBA on your SD card."

i lost signal in sim card help me please

after i flash SGP621_23.0.1.A.0.167_CE.ftf in this thread http://xdaforums.com/z3-t...oader-t3083980

i lost signal in sim card

after that i flash some ftf and problem still

please help me

s_021

Mar 3, 2019
I'm still on stock on my Rogers z3tc. No one might be looking at this thread anymore, but thought I'd ask, is it possible to get a more current OS on this device?

ecksdeeay

Aug 18, 2012
Sony Xperia 5 II
Sony Xperia 5 III
No idea what changed since the last time I rooted this tab? but it wasn't as hard as it is now for sure.
Had to unpack the 2 fw files and create a bundle for Flashtool.
  • Flash full CE.ftf
  • Flash just the (SGP621)kernel & the (D6603)system from the bundled ftf
The bundle contains all the Tablet files excluding system.sin because that is from the Z3 phone ftf
  • Reset Tab to factory settings with Backup & reset
Did this after getting frustrated with geifroot not doing its magic and it would even show I can Enjoy root without SU being on the tablet.
On the 2nd go after the reset
$ ./install.sh

==============================================
= =
= giefroot v3.1 =
= created by zxz0O0 =
= =
= Many thanks to: =
= - [NUT] =
= - MohammadAG =
= - Keen Team =
= =
==============================================

Using local adb

It looks like you are running Linux
Please make sure ia32-libs is installed if you get any errors

* daemon not running; starting now at tcp:5037
* daemon started successfully
=============================================
Waiting for Device, connect USB cable now...

Make sure that you authorize the connection
if you get any message on the phone
Device found!

Sending files
a: 1 file pushed. 0.0 MB/s (259 bytes in 0.066s)
getroot: 1 file pushed. 4.0 MB/s (22360 bytes in 0.005s)
giefroot: 1 file pushed. 0.1 MB/s (237 bytes in 0.002s)
modulecrcpatch: 1 file pushed. 4.5 MB/s (13592 bytes in 0.003s)
systemrw.sh: 1 file pushed. 0.1 MB/s (1716 bytes in 0.031s)
wp_mod.ko: 1 file pushed. 1.8 MB/s (34473 bytes in 0.018s)
UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.45.zip: 1 file pu... 5.5 MB/s (4016989 bytes in 0.702s)
busybox: 1 file pushed. 5.1 MB/s (657704 bytes in 0.123s)
installsupersu.sh: 1 file pushed. 0.0 MB/s (752 bytes in 0.016s)
exploitServiceApp.apk: 1 file pushed. 1.6 MB/s (44259 bytes in 0.026s)
pkg: /data/local/tmp/exploitServiceApp.apk
Success

Running exploit
Make sure you have enabled "Allow mock locations"
in Developer Settings!
Please wait for the device to reboot
Press any key to continue
#
#
#
#
#

Done. You can now unplug your device.
Enjoy root!
#
What to do next?
- Donate to the people involved
- Install dualrecovery by [NUT] Backup TA partition

Press any key to quit

I hit any key and return key a few times just to make sure!! :fingers-crossed:

Shall edit when I've completed the whole process....
Having trouble with PRF and getting it to install superSU and xzdr found my old post for preparing PRF #552
Rooted again:laugh: and back to 6.0.1 MM

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There are quite a few threads that have all the information but for new Z3TC owners, it can be challenging to know where to start and to understand the process.

How I started here is recently purchasing a Rogers Z3TC and to my surprise, the bootloader cannot be unlocked. I shouldn't have been surprised since carriers do tend to lock the bootloaders and if I did my research, I would have found out that Sony offers unlockable and non-unlockable versions of the same hardware. I have never had to worry about having a recovery to root the device or install custom ROMs with root. For anyone new to Android, the recovery is probably the single most important mode to setting up your device the way you want. A prerequisite for that is of course an unlocked bootloader so you can install the recovery of your choice - ClockworkMod (CWM) or TeamWin Recovery Project (TWRP).

So what makes the process confusing for some new Z3TC owners, such as myself, is that the process is somewhat backward. For most of my previous devices, it is:

1. Unlock bootloader
    2. Install recovery
    3. Gain root through flashing SuperSU or a rooted custom ROM

Because for my Rogers Z3TC cannot be bootloader unlocked, the process now looks like this:

1. Obtain root
    2. Install recovery
    3. Flash a pre-rooted Lollipop ROM

The only way we can get root on Lollipop is on a pre-rooted ROM because there is no exploit yet to do it directly. The only way we can install a pre-rooted ROM is through a custom recovery. The only way we can get a custom recovery is to be rooted. For unlocked bootloaders, they can get recovery through flashing the img of the recovery. The only way we can obtain root is through an exploit on a Z3 ROM, which thankfully works on the Z3TC due to the similar hardware.

So without quoting all the instructions of each step, I will provide the links and you just have to follow the instructions for each part.

Before you begin, you will need Flashtool and install the drivers for Flashmode and your device. You will not need Fastboot because unfortunately, you wont be doing anything with it on a locked bootloader. You may install it if you want.

If you are on Windows 8.1/10, you will need to to disable driver signature.

1. Obtain root by first flashing SGP621_23.0.1.A.0.167_CE.ftf and the system partition of D6603_23.0.A.2.93_Generic_20GLOBAL.ftf. Then use giefroot to root.
    2. Prepare prerooted flashable zip of 23.1.A.0.690 NOBA on your internal storage or external SD.
    3. Install XZDualRecovery and now you will have TWRP to install 23.1.A.0.690 NOBA on your SD card.

I would finish off by running SGP621-RICDefeat.zip to get R/W system access.

This is the simple template that I would imagine be the way those of us with locked bootloaders will install custom ROMs, obtain root or upgrade Android.

Thank you @lowtraxx for the root instructions and @[NUT] for the XZDualRecovery.
    I have tried downgrading from Lollipop back to step one without wipe in Flashtool but I think the system data are incompatible and caused bootloop.

Once I flashed a fresh SGP621_23.0.1.A.0.167_CE.ftf, I did not bother setting up any apps until I did a fresh install of the pre-rooted Lollipop ROM. If you can back up everything first, that would be best. If you cannot, try Flashtool without wipe and worst case scenario if you bootloop, there is a shut off button beside the SIM card tray and you can still get back into Flashmode.

If someone could do a tutorial video, I think a lot of people along with myself would highly appreciate it. I tried doing root on locked bootloader prior to Lollipop, but it just wasn't happening for me. So I decided to give up and just update it since it was too much of a hassle.
    I am running stock Lollipop now.
    If I take above mentioned steps,
    do I lose the data with apps and settings I am using now?

Once I flashed a fresh SGP621_23.0.1.A.0.167_CE.ftf, I did not bother setting up any apps until I did a fresh install of the pre-rooted Lollipop ROM. If you can back up everything first, that would be best. If you cannot, try Flashtool without wipe and worst case scenario if you bootloop, there is a shut off button beside the SIM card tray and you can still get back into Flashmode.
    So I can get root even if I skip step 3, 5, and 6?

Yes.
    Will I lose my drm keys by doing this? I want to get root but dont wanna unlock my bootloader

yes if you don't follow this steps

1- flash stock 4.4.4 with flashtool
    2-flash the 4.4.4 Z3 system only" with flastool
    3-factory reset in settings enable usb debuging etc,etc
    4-obtain root with giefroot
    5-backup TA partition
    6-unlock boot loader
    7-install dual recovery
    8-flash prerooted 5.0.2 with custom recovery
    9- gain get system R/W access with ricdefeat
    10-relock boot loader restoring TA

good luck ;)