How To Root An Acer Iconia A500

Search This thread
IF i do this though, will it not stop be from being able to get ICS OTA when it comes out next year? I only want to root really, everything else is smooth on stock 3.2

By installing a custom rom you will definitely NOT get any OTA updates.
HOWEVER
Acer is pretty slow with updates as it is, so who knows when ICS will actually be officially rolled out for our Iconias.
On the plus side, I can pretty much guarantee you that there will be custom ICS roms released WAY before we get any official ICS updates. We'll probably see the custom ICS roms released within a few days/weeks of it being made available for any tablet.
If this is your first time installing a custom rom, make sure you read all the instructions very carefully. Keep checking back to this forum when ICS is released to see when we get a build.
Good luck!

comnam90

Jan 8, 2011
Christchurch
alliance-rom.com
By installing a custom rom you will definitely NOT get any OTA updates.
HOWEVER
Acer is pretty slow with updates as it is, so who knows when ICS will actually be officially rolled out for our Iconias.
On the plus side, I can pretty much guarantee you that there will be custom ICS roms released WAY before we get any official ICS updates. We'll probably see the custom ICS roms released within a few days/weeks of it being made available for any tablet.
If this is your first time installing a custom rom, make sure you read all the instructions very carefully. Keep checking back to this forum when ICS is released to see when we get a build.
Good luck!

Definitely not first time flasher, long time sgs and sgs2 flasher lol this is my first tablet though lol

Sent from my A500 using xda premium

bazzazz

Oct 26, 2008
Melbourne
Hi all, forgive me if this is a noob question but I am a noob and I just bought a acer iconia A501 , 32GB 3G TABLET. is the rooting procedure and the file used for root the same for the A500 and the A501. If it is..... are the available custom roms that say A500 compatible with both models.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Taxi

dmue

Aug 22, 2010
Cologne
Hi, if your tab is running Android 3.0.1 and NOT 3.2, yes ist's the same.

If your tab ist up to date with Android 3.2 you can't root. There are no way to root Android 3.2 atm.

The same thing many people told at the last pages here.

crackers8199

May 11, 2010
Its amazing how much faster this thing runs once it's rooted and all the bloat crap is frozen...two questions though:

1 is it safe to freeze "Acer one time init" ?

2 is there a way to disable the software from asking if I want the system update to 3.2? Will just unchecking the box in system settings do it or will it still occasionally ask me?

also, it seems to be a little sluggish when in portrait mode (pressing the home button makes everything disappear for a split-second or two before the home screen comes up). there's no such lag that i've seen in landscape mode...is there a way to resolve this, or is it just something i need to learn to deal with?

GamezR2EZ

Jan 23, 2008
1 is it safe to freeze "Acer one time init" ?

Yes. For a list of whats safe to remove, cehck post 2 in this thread.

2 is there a way to disable the software from asking if I want the system update to 3.2? Will just unchecking the box in system settings do it or will it still occasionally ask me?

Freeze FDUpdater.apk and FWUpdateService.apk. You will notice the check for update in the system info is gone as well. No ill side effects for either of those packages.

Dec 8, 2008
Does not work on my Iconia A500 with 3.1

I see others are having this same issue

Would be handy if OP would update his post to reflect this does not work with currently shipping factory ROMs so more people don't waste their time/effort like we have

dindindores

Jun 26, 2008
Maspalomas
Good Evening from the uk

earlier on today a bunch of devs managed to actually root this tablet using a modified version of gingerbreak

below is the walkthrough of how to root this device

1. make sure usb debugging is turned on and unknown sources is selected
2. have a micro sd card inserted and turn the tablet on portrait and lock it with the switch to fix it in portrait
3. download and execute the attached apk. (i had to download from my comp and transfer to the tablet for it to work)
4. once the apk is installed run the root procedure within the app which was installed
5. wait and you will receive full root access

Edit to add original dev and thread

A BIG BIG thank you to monki-magic who provided the modified apk and the original thread is

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1046277
Will this work with 3.2 as well?
THX

thomas

Vintage144

Jan 1, 1970
according to the last guy in the thread he was 3.2 and it didnt root for him , busybox stated he wasnt rooted !

schoei1

Apr 3, 2010
I exchanged my Acer A100 tablet with a A500 and love it, but it comes stock with HC3.2. Is there a way to install HC3.1 so I can root it?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good Evening from the uk

earlier on today a bunch of devs managed to actually root this tablet using a modified version of gingerbreak

below is the walkthrough of how to root this device

1. make sure usb debugging is turned on and unknown sources is selected
    2. have a micro sd card inserted and turn the tablet on portrait and lock it with the switch to fix it in portrait
    3. download and execute the attached apk. (i had to download from my comp and transfer to the tablet for it to work)
    4. once the apk is installed run the root procedure within the app which was installed
    5. wait and you will receive full root access

Edit to add original dev and thread

A BIG BIG thank you to monki-magic who provided the modified apk and the original thread is

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1046277
    To root under 3.2, you can use timmyDean's method from XDA.
    Probably better to wait for ICS at this point.
    Acer Iconia A500 Rooted
    How to Root Acer Iconia A500

How to Root Acer Iconia A500

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9srwjuAF6w
    I have to go cut the grass before I start playing with my A5 again. Can you guys tell the benefits of rooting so far? another forum mentioned deleting bloatware and freezing apps that hog resources/battery life.

From http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=Why_Root

What Does Root Give Me?

1. Full control over your system
    2. Ability to alter system files. You can replace many parts of the "Android Core" with this including:
    o Themes
    o Core apps (maps, calendar, clock etc)
    o Recovery image
    o Bootloader
    o Toolbox (linux binary that lets you execute simple linux commands like "ls") can be replaced with Busybox (slightly better option)
    o Boot images
    o Add linux binaries
    3. Run special apps that need more control over the system
    o SuperUser (lets you approve or deny the use of root access to any program)
    o Task Manager For Root (Lets you kill apps that you otherwise could not kill)
    o Tether apps (like the one found at [android-wifi-tether.googlecode.com])
    <there are more but I cannot think of any right now>
    4. Backup your system
    o You can make a folder on your sdcard and backup all of your .apk files to your sdcard (helps if an author decides to "upgrade" you to a version that requires you to pay to use the version you just had)
    5. Relocate your (browser/maps/market) cache to your /sdcard
    6. Relocate your installed applications to your /sdcard
    7. Reboot your phone from the terminal app easily (su <enter> reboot <enter>)