How to Root and install Magisk on NSTV 2019 Pro v8.2.0

Search This thread

rocker0

Nov 7, 2019
Im not sure. I was on beta, then it update to canary.
Could you please show me the magisk version you on?
I tried magisk hide, I got the AI upscaling, it seems it's working now since I don't see no more bootlocked messages, but I don't see dolby vision anywhere.
Also safety net doesn't seem to pass for me.

Could you please show me the magisk version you on?
I tried magisk hide, I got the AI upscaling, it seems it's working now since I don't see no more bootlocked messages, but I don't see dolby vision anywhere.
Also safety net doesn't seem to pass for me.
IMG_20022021_103155_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpgIMG_20022021_103146_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
For canary build. You have to download canarybuild apk and update app first. Then it update magisk too via direct install.
Allways use Github page to download Magisk.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrhamed

rocker0

Nov 7, 2019
View attachment 5227463View attachment 5227465
For canary build. You have to download canarybuild apk and update app first. Then it update magisk too via direct install.
Allways use Github page to download Magisk.

Thanks, that actually helped.

I installed it successfully :
Sadly I still don't see "Dolby vision Ready" option even though Safetynet checks pass fine.

Could there possibly be something else I'm missing out ?

Regarding MagiskHide and if you mistakenly happen to reboot with it on and unable to bypass black screen, what worked for me was to run :

adb shell
su
resetprop ro.boot.verifiedbootstate orange

I also tried:
resetprop ro.build.type userdebug
resetprop ro.secure 0
resetprop ro.debuggable 1

But what worked for me was the ro.boot.verifiedbootstate one.

Regarding MagiskHide and if you mistakenly happen to reboot with it on and unable to bypass black screen, what worked for me was to run :

adb shell
su
resetprop ro.boot.verifiedbootstate orange

I also tried:
resetprop ro.build.type userdebug
resetprop ro.secure 0
resetprop ro.debuggable 1

But what worked for me was the ro.boot.verifiedbootstate one.
If you booted with "orange" try change back to green resetprop ro.boot.verifiedbootstate green.
Maybe this cousing to safetynet.

rocker0

Nov 7, 2019
If you booted with "orange" try to change back to green resetprop ro.boot.verifiedbootstate green.
Maybe this causing to SafetyNet.
I actually made sure to not reboot with magiskhide on, I also double checked :
mdarcy:/ # getprop ro.boot.verifiedbootstate
green

I don't have issues with safetynet, it's passing right now, but I still unable to get Dolby vision mode.
Were you able to play content in DV recently?

Okay so I did some tests, It seems neither of them does work sadly, I see AI enhancement has no more unlocked bootloader tag next to it, but if you try to actually use it, it keeps reverting back to basic.

I tried to do the exact same thing as in

But it will restrict me to basic somehow whether I chose AI-Enhanced or any other mode.

Keep in mind I have not restarted the device with Magisk Hide on since I know it might lead to blackscreen. Any suggestions or tips would be much appreciated :)

Last edited:
I actually made sure to not reboot with magiskhide on, I also double checked :
mdarcy:/ # getprop ro.boot.verifiedbootstate
green

Keep in mind I have not restarted the device with Magisk Hide on since I know it might lead to blackscreen. Any suggestions or tips would be much appreciated :)
i read wrong earlier, now i have glasses on :)

For Dolby vision i dont know course i dont have Dolby vision tv, only 4k uhd.
Im sure when you get other things work it work too.

Was you rooted before and witch guide you use and can you take Magisk.log and put here or send me?
IMG_20210220_122205.jpg

rocker0

Nov 7, 2019
i read wrong earlier, now i have glasses on :)

For Dolby vision i dont know course i dont have Dolby vision tv, only 4k uhd.
Im sure when you get other things work it work too.

Was you rooted before and witch guide you use and can you take Magisk.log and put here or send me?
View attachment 5227561
Hello, sure, I will send to you the log.

I used the method written in here in the first post, I flashed both dtb and vbmeta, and I'm on 8.2.2

I actually can pass safety net and I see that AI seems ok, but when actually testing it, It's not working.

Please try to test it yourself and let me know if it does work fine and you can switch between Basic,Enhanced,AI-Enhancend methods.

rocker0

Nov 7, 2019
I just notising i can use enhanced mode, ai-enhanced show unsupported content.
But its not revert back basic.

Hm strange, I can see Enhanced mode is set, but It's not actually working.

If I enabled Demo mode, It won't switch back and fourth between them, maybe I'm doing something wrong. I sent you my log btw

LazorBlind

Feb 25, 2020
I still cannot for the life of me cannot get safetynet to pass. I have the canary build installed, magisk hide on, I disabled EdExposed, nothing seems to work

rocker0

Nov 7, 2019
I still cannot for the life of me cannot get safetynet to pass. I have the canary build installed, magisk hide on, I disabled EdExposed, nothing seems to work
I think EdXposed won't let you pass safety net at all. Somehow if I uninstall EdExposed and riru and the manager, and I turned on Magisk hide on latest beta, I can pass safety net.

But I still feel the AI is not actually functioning probably, I don't see it doing any changes.

LazorBlind

Feb 25, 2020
I think EdXposed won't let you pass safety net at all. Somehow if I uninstall EdExposed and riru and the manager, and I turned on Magisk hide on latest beta, I can pass safety net.

But I still feel the AI is not actually functioning probably, I don't see it doing any changes.

Personally I don't use the AI upscaler. I'm running my Shield on a 1080p monitor so the basic mode is sufficient for me.

I just want to pass safetynet cause of this app I'm trying to run. It will run on my in unrooted phones with locked boot loaders just fine. But I would prefer to use it on the larger screen.

rocker0

Nov 7, 2019
Personally I don't use the AI upscaler. I'm running my Shield on a 1080p monitor so the basic mode is sufficient for me.

I just want to pass safetynet cause of this app I'm trying to run. It will run on my in unrooted phones with locked boot loaders just fine. But I would prefer to use it on the larger screen.
Oh, then try this, I'm pretty sure It will work "for now".
I was more interested in DolbyVision as we lose that once we unlock the bootloader.

I tried many alternatives like Turning on "pass safety net" in exposed manager and turning on magisk hide and hiding all google services but no go.
What worked for me was totally uninstall everything edXposed related and riru maybe?, not sure about riru, then with magisk alone and magisk hide on, safety net should pass.

LazorBlind

Feb 25, 2020
Alright I'm done. I'm gonna throw in the towel on safety net. After I removed all still related to riru and edexposed I started getting circle looped and couldn't it. So I restored my latest backup which didn't help. So I thought if I did a full wipe then restored it would fix the problem. But for some reason when I made that backup I didn't do the data partition, so all my apps and everything are gone now, including all my progress in Final Fantasy 4,

ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR DATA PARTITION.

rocker0

Nov 7, 2019
Alright I'm done. I'm gonna throw in the towel on safety net. After I removed all still related to riru and edexposed I started getting circle looped and couldn't it. So I restored my latest backup which didn't help. So I thought if I did a full wipe then restored it would fix the problem. But for some reason when I made that backup I didn't do the data partition, so all my apps and everything are gone now, including all my progress in Final Fantasy 4,

ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR DATA PARTITION.
I'm very sorry to hear that, but I am certain it worked for me without Xposed at all...
We need more tests, but I had passed safety net with that on.
Maybe try the universal safety net fix ? Install the module in Magisk and give it a shot
: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15wT7O2TaS1Gu2h2zh199B7eaUHKugIzL/view

Download the zip, install it as any Magisk Module, reboot, and try ?

LazorBlind

Feb 25, 2020
Download the zip, install it as any Magisk Module, reboot, and try ?

I had tried that before, I also got circle looped, but was able to fix it by disabling the module with the Magisk Manager for Recovery Mode zip, so sadly it doesn't seem to work on the shield currently.

Thankfully I don't have to spend all that time getting back to where I was in FF4. With Cheat Engine I can just edit the EXP for fast level ups and cake walk through it until I'm back where I was

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1) Download TWRP from https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=8889791610682947099

2) Download Magisk ZIP from https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/download/v21.2/Magisk-v21.2.zip

3) Download and install Android Platform Tools (ADB, Fastboot, etc) from https://developer.nvidia.com/gameworksdownload#?search=SHIELD Family Windows USB

4) Go into Bootloader/Fastboot mode

5) Unlock your bootloader:

fastboot oem unlock

6) Boot into TWRP:

fastboot boot twrp-3.4.0-0-20200926-UNOFFICIAL-foster.img

7) Install Magisk (Magisk-v21.2.zip)

8) Go back to the TWRP main menu, click on Reboot. DO NOT INSTALL TWRP

9) Reboot into Bootloader/Fastboot mode

10) Go to https://developer.nvidia.com/gameworksdownload#?search=nvidia shield android tv 2019

11) Download "NVIDIA SHIELD ANDROID TV 2019 Pro Recovery OS Image for 8.2.0"

12) Download "NVIDIA SHIELD ANDROID TV 2019 Pro Developer Only OS Image for 8.1.0"

13) Extract "NVIDIA SHIELD ANDROID TV 2019 Pro Recovery OS Image for 8.2.0" and install the ROM except for vbmeta:

fastboot flash staging blob
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot flash system system.img
    fastboot flash vendor vendor.img
    fastboot flash dtb mdarcy.dtb.img

14) Extract "NVIDIA SHIELD ANDROID TV 2019 Pro Developer Only OS Image for 8.1.0" and flash vbmeta_skip:

fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta_skip.img

15) Reboot

16) In Android, select a language

17) At the "Do you have an Android phone or tablet?" screen, on the remote, press UP UP LEFT LEFT (or up up right right, I don't remember)

18) Debug menu will appear, select the option to use google
    *** You should unlock bootloader ***
    *** This steps is not contains details so is not for newbies ***
    *** I suggest fresh install v8.2.0 to gain stable result and skip Google sign-in to safe your privacy ***

-In fastboot mode, boot TWRP:
    Code:
    fastboot boot twrp-3.4.0-0-20200926-UNOFFICIAL-foster.img
    (Download here!)

-Your NSTV 16GB storage will be detected on windows, Copy Magisk v21 or later in it.
    (Download here!)

- Connect a mouse to usb (near hdmi) and flash the magisk.zip

- Reboot to bootloader, use TWRP reboot options.

- Flash mdarcy.dtb.img:
    Code:
    fastboot flash dtb mdarcy.dtb.img
    extract from nv-recovery-image-shield-atv-2019-pro-8.2.0.zip package.

- Flash vbmeta_skip.img:
    Code:
    fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta_skip.img
    extract from nv-recovery-image-shield-atv-2019-pro-8.1.0-dev_rooted.zip package, or use attached file.

- Reboot and wait for bootup:
    Code:
    fastboot reboot

If you wish to skip Google sign-in: go here!
    Can confirm too.

EDIT :
    Activating MagiskHide produces a black screen after the nvidia logo

This might be the only thing keeping me from trying it at the moment. Maybe someone can figure out how MagiskHide Props Config works with AI upscaling?
    I have testing almost averything with Props config, safetynet fix etc..
    All Magisk versions work (22, beta, canary) it pass safetynet and "enchanced" mode work not AI.
    All other root, dolby sounds etc.. working, just dont enable Dolby audio processing it freezing ui.
    Sounds is better without, let receiver do to job.

If reboot with Magisk hide enabled just do this:
    a) adb shell
    b) su
    c) resetprop ro.boot.verifiedbootstate orange
    d) after device boots run: resetprop ro.boot.verifiedbootstate green

Also safetynetfix installed it stuck on animation, but we dont need it.

All other modules should work, i test when time Viper4Android.

Maybe some day we get Dolbyvision and AI.

This is fine for me now, but i keep testing
    I can confirm that the steps @mrhamed laid out in the first post work on 8.2.2. However, if you enable MagiskHide and reboot, the device will boot loop at the spinning circles.
    If you disable MagiskHide before rebooting, you can avoid the boot loop.
    If you get stuck in a boot loop, you will need to enter fastboot and flash the Magisk uninstaller.
    If someone knows a way to flash a MagiskHide uninstaller, that would be great.
    I'm curious what part of MagiskHide is causing it to boot loop though.