How to root and/or replace the OS on an Oppo R9 Plus

Search This thread

EscVelocity

Sep 8, 2016
I don't have a lot of experience working with Android devices. A new coworker of mine has an Oppo R9 Plus that was purchasing in China. It currently only has access to a Chinese-language app store (even though the phone is in English mode).

If possible, I am looking to help her root the phone, and replace the OS with a standard version of the Android operating system (a newer version would be great, but really the version doesn't much matter). The goal here is to be rid of China-specific junk and limitations, and to have access to the standard Google Play store.

Unfortunately, searches here and on the web have not been super helpful, providing me a range of tools and possibilities (many locked behind very scammy looking offers before download). Is what I want to do possible? Any direction for where I should be looking?

red.bax

Sep 7, 2016
Do you find a solution? I got the same problem with my Oppo R9.. The important things are still in Chinese and no method i found in the internet to root the Phone works..

tektrix

Jul 8, 2009
Hi Guys , I had the same issue and i tried to flash Oppo r9 plus with the international ROM from singapore website of oppo . But now i m stuck on Oppo logo when i boot the phone . My phone is R9 Plusm A. Any help will be appreciated .

Regards

acelaw

Dec 9, 2010
oppo r9 plus dual sim 4g 128gb Root, install Cm13

HI all, you have to down grade the firmware to early version to able to root. use any one click root tool, and then download oppo tools 2.apk, use the oppo tool to unlock bootloader, if you get this far, try to search twrp.img file on internet to overwrite the recovery, boot into TWRP recovery install any up to date firmware, or CM13 TO CM14.
CM14 got bug, not able to get 4g signal on both sim

Good luck

mikeysteele

Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne
LeEco Le Pro3
HI all, you have to down grade the firmware to early version to able to root. use any one click root tool, and then download oppo tools 2.apk, use the oppo tool to unlock bootloader, if you get this far, try to search twrp.img file on internet to overwrite the recovery, boot into TWRP recovery install any up to date firmware, or CM13 TO CM14.

Good luck

Is CM13 suitable for a daily driver in your opinion?

acelaw

Dec 9, 2010
Hi Mikey,
Install Cm13 is workable, only annoying things was when you have signal for wifi, keep saying you have no internet, the rest is woring fine!

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

Hi Mikey,
Install Cm13 is workable, only annoying things was when you have signal for wifi, keep saying you have no internet, the rest is working fine!

Reactions: mikeysteele

zunging

May 11, 2013

Good luck

Hi, R9 plusA with root and unlock bootloader Can i flash international firmware (x9709)?

mikeysteele

Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne
LeEco Le Pro3
From what I can tell, the modem firmware on the international and Chinese international variants are different. To get LineageOS 13 working on mine I had to replace NON-HLOS.bin in the firmware packages from Wuxianlin with one from ColorOS.

After a few small tweaks to the device tree LineageOS 13 seems to be working fine on the X9079
http://community.oppo.com/en/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=51837&page=1&extra=#pid561921
d9-WaU6eplpNxBHNFU6slFvztqYOtFwpGerFpneoA1OpwShpPA45iZQT8iNW-EVaM_uCsBVKIJvJaBQGP_VdJXklDZ47E7bAvDlt_TLnABekLiHvOI4thGkOENMlqO06ahEnoQVgYt8Od7KahLb4qc88DO2WAqmbRva1O4zI3unhQ2g7dGdxQpYcfbGxlwVDQgp-_gijhohQWP8Opj9ETgOKwCToJRB5nmKQXMM34MkmLpyyZx58JfwjoYc2o0HQ0vVzahCxsFPhXqqisklKAVF16AjM7fK9_wtUqEKYmRw-VXhtBCttrBXkWXPG_E-hgAGLhTG7R5EXkoub-eW0oiKU50tCLphLWntW7YIygS3okHXe4K8K79MZ3lTh1T4soM8ohlWZxO2b7W8MTRaZIh2z96AGDAFpogmNxTaAo1Qq-0JUV5mJakp7l-ztDneie4gPx3odeaOzmyv005f_r-H0q0Etnu219W2JsTcy02pf2B-qWnjHt6PU4idvVtAyIyUGWDZJVz9O0jbr2StniaEKBZhzP7pIdkBpYS95wn9qVyQRJFJTC1h3Et5D87qAvV1oqYYO1HXn9aonFA6dnUulAsfzndlP1pNsI7eYNTqF_YDenYG_jHZfwuwgkU_kUl3mCaPHEtPa4sgnAb-KIk0Pl3e1Bi_hbUcUIcqUBA=w498-h884-no

Last edited:

faridali

Mar 16, 2017
I have a question!

From what I can tell, the modem firmware on the international and Chinese international variants are different. To get LineageOS 13 working on mine I had to replace NON-HLOS.bin in the firmware packages from Wuxianlin with one from ColorOS.

After a few small tweaks to the device tree LineageOS 13 seems to be working fine on the X9079

Hey there.....may I ask the steps you took to achieve this? From stock all the way to the Lineage OS that you reached. I've tried tons of stuff but it doesnt seem to work. Could you guide me? or maybe email me? Thanks in advance :) Kudos for showing evidence that its still possible to Custom OS that R9 Plus.(Color OS honestly is pathetic.....I could've give it a chance if developer options are permanent but Nooooooo.)

mikeysteele

Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne
LeEco Le Pro3
Hey there.....may I ask the steps you took to achieve this? From stock all the way to the Lineage OS that you reached. I've tried tons of stuff but it doesnt seem to work. Could you guide me? or maybe email me? Thanks in advance :) Kudos for showing evidence that its still possible to Custom OS that R9 Plus.(Color OS honestly is pathetic.....I could've give it a chance if developer options are permanent but Nooooooo.)

All information is in the linked thread to the Oppo Forums. And most of the Kudos goes to Wuxianlin :) I've been using Lineage as my daily driver - it's almost perfect - but because of Oppo's GPL violation in not releasing the source code for the kernel, some little bugs may never be able to be fixed.

Atheist ray

Jun 9, 2017
The firmware files won't download.

All information is in the linked thread to the Oppo Forums. And most of the Kudos goes to Wuxianlin :) I've been using Lineage as my daily driver - it's almost perfect - but because of Oppo's GPL violation in not releasing the source code for the kernel, some little bugs may never be able to be fixed.

Hello, I tried downloading the files from your mega. lineageOS was fine, but both of the firmware files won't download at all. Could you upload them somewhere else??

StevenHood

Oct 18, 2015
hello is it possible change the part number in adb? to be clear i bought r9s plus chinese version has a different part number by international version, but i am nearly sure hardware is the same for both... so to flash international rom is possible change part number in the way i could flash the rom????
cause now i get an error when i try to flash cause international rom goes just for ne specific part number in detail chp1611 i think

phonecapone

Mar 20, 2013
Internetz
www.noidodroid.com

Hello. Thanks for your tutorial and file Repo. I am doing work for a client who wants the stock firmware flashed on his device again. From what i gather it is a Chinese version. It has a Chinese and English menu. Did you flash to the international from a Chinese model or another? Phone is still new to me so I've no idea if there was more than just the 2. I read your post on Oppo http://community.oppo.com/en/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=51837&extra= and understand the instructions and have been debating flashing however since this is what i believe to be a Chinese version I don't wan't to risk bricking it. Was yours a Chinese model and was the only thing needed besides root and twrp a simple swap of the NON-HLOS.bin in the firmware packages from Wuxianlin with one from ColorOS? I noticed you said you made a few tweaks too.

Has this project progressed much?

If i don't take the above route could you possibly guide me to a working flash file for 5.1.1 and 6.0 ColorOS Chinese/English model of the R9 Plusm A?

This is what i've found and tried so far flashing from SD-CARD with no luck however. - X9079EX_11_OTA_013_all_201706081345_local.zip (a few others too but they are updates and i need to format and flash all.)

Sorry for 10000 questions. I'm not left with a whole lot of information and options on this phone.

Thanks,
phonecapone

---------- Post added at 05:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 AM ----------

hello is it possible change the part number in adb? to be clear i bought r9s plus chinese version has a different part number by international version, but i am nearly sure hardware is the same for both... so to flash international rom is possible change part number in the way i could flash the rom????
cause now i get an error when i try to flash cause international rom goes just for ne specific part number in detail chp1611 i think

Is the R9 Plusm A the International and the R9s Plus the Chinese or a totally different model? I'm still reading up as phone is new to me. Confused.

mikeysteele

Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne
LeEco Le Pro3
Hello. Thanks for your tutorial and file Repo. I am doing work for a client who wants the stock firmware flashed on his device again. From what i gather it is a Chinese version. It has a Chinese and English menu. Did you flash to the international from a Chinese model or another? Phone is still new to me so I've no idea if there was more than just the 2. I read your post on Oppo http://community.oppo.com/en/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=51837&extra= and understand the instructions and have been debating flashing however since this is what i believe to be a Chinese version I don't wan't to risk bricking it. Was yours a Chinese model and was the only thing needed besides root and twrp a simple swap of the NON-HLOS.bin in the firmware packages from Wuxianlin with one from ColorOS? I noticed you said you made a few tweaks too.

If i don't take the above route could you possibly guide me to a working flash file for 5.1.1 and 6.0 ColorOS Chinese/English model of the R9 Plusm A?

This is what i've found and tried so far flashing from SD-CARD with no luck however. - X9079EX_11_OTA_013_all_201706081345_local.zip (a few others too but they are updates and i need to format and flash all.)

Sorry for 10000 questions. I'm not left with a whole lot of information and options on this phone.

Thanks,
phonecapone

As it says in big red letters on the opening post on the oppo forums, it's for the international version only (X9079EX) . I have never owned a R9 Plusm A, and I sold my international one anyway.

Last edited:

phonecapone

Mar 20, 2013
Internetz
www.noidodroid.com
I got it all taken care of last evening. Client should be happy.

---------- Post added at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 AM ----------

Thanks,
phonecapone

---------- Post added at 05:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 AM ----------

Is the R9 Plusm A the International and the R9s Plus the Chinese or a totally different model? I'm still reading up as phone is new to me. Confused.

seychellian

Dec 18, 2017
Hi All,

I have a Chinese purchased Oppo A57 running ColorOS version 3.0 and Android 6.0.1. As other have mentioned a lot of the core apps and settings are still in Chinese despite the fact that all the language settings have been turned to English. Is there "flashing for dummies" method of getting an English version of the OS installed on this thing that has limited (or no) chance of me bricking the phone. I have read through the thread and to be frank a lot of the instruction seem to be above my pay grade. If anyone has some suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. The alternative is to learn Chinese which will be tough.

:p

_Mitya_

Aug 28, 2012
I got it all taken care of last evening. Client should be happy.
And what and how you do it?

TO ALL - it's been more than a year since this thread was opened, and still not a single normal answer. Guys with X9097X phone - stop answering here - you have intenarional version of smartphone so it is easy for you to upgrade firmware, change firmware or even flash custom.
The main problem is OPPO R9 Plusm A - full chinese phone. I was so stupid to changed my iphone 6 plus 64gb to this POS. I was really hoping that soon someone will find way how to change chinese ROM to international one, but still it is impossible. I tell you more - OPPO comunity forum already deleted all threads about R9 Plusm A.
Half an year ago on oppo community forum was one man who managed to make manual how to delete/stop all chinese junk on this phone, but thanks to administration of forum it was deleted and now, when i accidentaly done factory reset i can't find this article and remove chinese junk...
I don't ask you for manual of flashing international ROM, but maybe someone have screenshots or cached version of that deleting chinese junk manual? I will be very appretiating for this.
PS i'm sorry for any mistaces in my sentences, it is not my native language and i'm from Ukraine) Please help me, because i've tired fighting with this phone and i can't even sell it, because nobody understand the power and potential of this phone while it is full of chinese apps and services.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You will either need the chrome extension "The Great Suspender" or modify the extension links to display the proper link format / view in browser. I'd do it but I am swamped with work and won't have a minute free for a while. There are a few random links in there not related to the OPPO. Just ignore them. Hope it helps. Enjoy!

I usually do this with every project so i have quite a few tab folders from projects saved. Perhaps i'll upload them all in a thread somewhere and continue to do so as i work on new phones.

Links are attached below.
    Hi Mikey,
    Install Cm13 is workable, only annoying things was when you have signal for wifi, keep saying you have no internet, the rest is woring fine!

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

Hi Mikey,
    Install Cm13 is workable, only annoying things was when you have signal for wifi, keep saying you have no internet, the rest is working fine!
    Could you PM those links/files? Cheers!

@Idiosyncratinom Sure no problem. I will post them here or attach a zip file with the html of links that i researched when I worked on this handset.

http://community.oppo.com/en/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=51837&page=1&extra=#pid561921
    d9-WaU6eplpNxBHNFU6slFvztqYOtFwpGerFpneoA1OpwShpPA45iZQT8iNW-EVaM_uCsBVKIJvJaBQGP_VdJXklDZ47E7bAvDlt_TLnABekLiHvOI4thGkOENMlqO06ahEnoQVgYt8Od7KahLb4qc88DO2WAqmbRva1O4zI3unhQ2g7dGdxQpYcfbGxlwVDQgp-_gijhohQWP8Opj9ETgOKwCToJRB5nmKQXMM34MkmLpyyZx58JfwjoYc2o0HQ0vVzahCxsFPhXqqisklKAVF16AjM7fK9_wtUqEKYmRw-VXhtBCttrBXkWXPG_E-hgAGLhTG7R5EXkoub-eW0oiKU50tCLphLWntW7YIygS3okHXe4K8K79MZ3lTh1T4soM8ohlWZxO2b7W8MTRaZIh2z96AGDAFpogmNxTaAo1Qq-0JUV5mJakp7l-ztDneie4gPx3odeaOzmyv005f_r-H0q0Etnu219W2JsTcy02pf2B-qWnjHt6PU4idvVtAyIyUGWDZJVz9O0jbr2StniaEKBZhzP7pIdkBpYS95wn9qVyQRJFJTC1h3Et5D87qAvV1oqYYO1HXn9aonFA6dnUulAsfzndlP1pNsI7eYNTqF_YDenYG_jHZfwuwgkU_kUl3mCaPHEtPa4sgnAb-KIk0Pl3e1Bi_hbUcUIcqUBA=w498-h884-no

Do you have a download link or can upload the files to install CM13? Apparently oppo took down the page that all the files were on Thanks.