[How-To] Root Android 11 - Bootable patched_magisk

Search This thread

eqbirvin

Apr 6, 2012
Colorado
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Hello Friends,

Android 11 has finally been released for Duo 1 and the update makes this device what it should have been from the beginning. But root is always nice.

Luckily Android 11 has made rooting a bit easier as well.

Pre-requisites
  • Unlocked bootloader
  • adb/fastboot set up properly
  • understanding what adb/fastboot and basic commands using these tools
  • How to open a CMD/Powershell in a given location
  • Windows 10/11 (you can make this work for MacOS/Linux but that isn't what this guide is based on)
  • I do not know if this will for at&t version or not. I do not have the at&t model so I cannot verify.

1. Download this patched boot.img (link)
    1. This is simply the Android 11 stock boot img patched with magisk 23, I just did the hard work for you because it is a pain in the butt to get payload unloader to work.
    2. If you do not want to use my pre-patched boot that is understandable but at this time I am not providing a how-to on extracting the boot from the OTA. You can use the pre-existing root guide by @NTchrist and @Perseu5 to at least extract the stock boot and then patch it yourself, just make sure you use Magisk 23.
  2. Install Magisk Manager 23 which is the current stable/beta build (link)
    1. either via adb or manually
  3. Open Magisk Manager Once after installation and before moving to the next step
  4. Boot into bootloader
    1. either from cmd adb while the device is booted via adb command
      1. Code:
        adb reboot-bootloader
    2. or from issuing a reboot from the power menu and holding volume down while rebooting
    3. or from power off, hold the power button and volume down for 3 seconds
  5. Boot the patched boot.img you downloaded by opening a CMD in the location of the downloaded patched boot and issuing this command
    1. Code:
      fastboot boot patched.156.boot.img
  6. The device will boot into Android system
  7. Open Magisk Manager > Click "Install" > "Direct Install"
  8. Maigsk will install and reboot
  9. Your device is rooted

If there is enough demand, I will do a walk thought on extracting the stock boot and patching it because I understand some don't like to trust downloaded boots.

A huge thank you to @NTchrist and @Perseu5 for pathfinding this all and their amazing guides, give those guys some thanks and kudos please!

Last edited:

NTchrist

May 10, 2011
Personally I've always been hesitant to provide pre-patched images. People just spam your inbox if it's not up to date five minutes after release. Also, people don't learn about what they're actually doing. I'd never be a developer today if I were just handed all the things I wanted to have and I suspect that'd be true of many of the best developers on this forum. That said, If there's a demand I'll make an updated full guide. Let me know in the comments on my original thread if you guys want that.

eqbirvin

Apr 6, 2012
Colorado
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Personally I've always been hesitant to provide pre-patched images. People just spam your inbox if it's not up to date five minutes after release. Also, people don't learn about what they're actually doing. I'd never be a developer today if I were just handed all the things I wanted to have and I suspect that'd be true of many of the best developers on this forum. That said, If there's a demand I'll make an updated full guide. Let me know in the comments on my original thread if you guys want that.
I fully agree with you. I did magisk_patching for old nexus's, oneplus 6t, and a couple of the pixels and I actually didn't get that much spam. But go a ton of spam for system UI tweaks, twrp and such how-tos I posted.

The primary reason I provided a pre-patched one here is because I had a ton of issues getting payload dumper to work on my fresh windows 11. And this was just easier.

Reactions: pvillasuso

LocBox

Aug 16, 2009
Microsoft Surface Duo
Finally a much more streamlined process, and it works perfectly. That back & forth patching each month was getting too hairy. Not too mention how much faster this device is now which has me into it all over again. This has all been worth it so far in my opinion based off of usage today. no random app crashes anymore , much better UI and control panel across the board, Hell it even sounds louder. I'm really happy with this update and root so far.

Reactions: pvillasuso
OK so I've got the AT&T variant (that I use as a secondary device with no SIM) that I've successfully flashed Android 11 onto using the filiphsandstorm script. I haven't reset the phone. Android 11 works fine so far like this. Unfortunately though I'm hanging on the boot screen when I fastboot the patched boot image. If I patch the boot image with an earlier version of Magisk it double boots and returns to the stock image. If I patch the boot image with the latest version of Magisk I get the boot hang. Obviously this could just be AT&T incompatibility but does anyone have any ideas? Has anyone with an AT&T device successfully rooted on Android 11?

eqbirvin

Apr 6, 2012
Colorado
Google Pixel 6 Pro
OK so I've got the AT&T variant (that I use as a secondary device with no SIM) that I've successfully flashed Android 11 onto using the filiphsandstorm script. I haven't reset the phone. Android 11 works fine so far like this. Unfortunately though I'm hanging on the boot screen when I fastboot the patched boot image. If I patch the boot image with an earlier version of Magisk it double boots and returns to the stock image. If I patch the boot image with the latest version of Magisk I get the boot hang. Obviously this could just be AT&T incompatibility but does anyone have any ideas? Has anyone with an AT&T device successfully rooted on Android 11?
Dumb question on my part but are you booting the patched image or trying to flash it in bootloader?

Just making sure we are on the same page.

Dumb question on my part but are you booting the patched image or trying to flash it in bootloader?
No problem. Not flashing, just trying to boot. From
adb reboot bootloader
I'm executing:
fastboot boot patchedboot.img

Trying to flash to the boot partition just gives me an error anyway.

Also, just to be clear, I've tried it with your patched image as well as a boot image that I extracted from payload.bin. Both same results.

EDIT: OK I bit the bullet and did a factory reset through recovery. I wanted to avoid this as it's a pain setting the device up again. However, this solved the problem. I was able to complete the steps above and successfully gained root permanently. Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: eqbirvin

diejuse

Aug 1, 2019
Hello Friends,

Android 11 has finally been released for Duo 1 and the update makes this device what it should have been from the beginning. But root is always nice.

Pre-requisites
  • Unlocked bootloader
  • Windows 10/11 (you can make this work for MacOS/Linux but that isn't what this guide is based on)
  • I do not know if this will for at&t version or not. I do not have the at&t model so I cannot verify.

1. This is simply the Android 11 stock boot img patched with magisk 23, I just did the hard work for you because it is a pain in the butt to get payload unloader to work.
    2. If you do not want to use my pre-patched boot that is understandable but at this time I am not providing a how-to on extracting the boot from the OTA. You can use the pre-existing root guide by @NTchrist and @Perseu5 to at least extract the stock boot and then patch it yourself, just make sure you use Magisk 23.
  3. Open Magisk Manager Once after installation and before moving to the next step
  4. Boot into bootloader
      1. Code:
        adb reboot-bootloader
    2. or from issuing a reboot from the power menu and holding volume down while rebooting
  5. Boot the patched boot.img you downloaded by opening a CMD in the location of the downloaded patched boot and issuing this command
    1. Code:
  9. Your device is rooted

If there is enough demand, I will do a walk thought on extracting the stock boot and patching it because I understand some don't like to trust downloaded boots.

A huge thank you to @NTchrist and @Perseu5 for pathfinding this all and their amazing guides, give those guys some thanks and kudos please!

Thank you very much for providing the patched boot and for the guide (although in my case I know the steps). You save me a lot of work. Excellent.

edchuxda

May 19, 2018
I got the AT&T version. I just booted the patched image from OP and it works. (i was having trouble patching the AT&T image. probably was my fault because i was using magisk v.24.1 rather than v.23)

pvillasuso

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220306-093554_2.png
    Screenshot_20220306-093554_2.png
    126 KB · Views: 32

pvillasuso

How do we update and keep root?

1st post ( thanks to NTchrist )

==== UPDATE WHILE ROOTED ==== Section

NTchrist

May 10, 2011

This is actually no longer necessary on A11 in most cases. You can do the magisk "install to inactive slot" workflow here to ota and retain root

tl/dr:

magisk > restore images (do not reboot)
do ota (do not reboot)
magisk > install to inactive slot
reboot
done

Top Liked Posts

Updated to the latest , 2022.215.137 OTA
    Same process as before?
    Updated to the latest , 2022.115.10 OTA
    Same process as before?
    Hello Friends,

Pre-requisites
    • Unlocked bootloader

4. Boot into bootloader
        1. Code:
          adb reboot-bootloader
      1. Code:
    9. Your device is rooted

This is actually no longer necessary on A11 in most cases. You can do the magisk "install to inactive slot" workflow here to ota and retain root

tl/dr:

magisk > restore images (do not reboot)
    do ota (do not reboot)
    magisk > install to inactive slot
    reboot
    done
    I fully agree with you. I did magisk_patching for old nexus's, oneplus 6t, and a couple of the pixels and I actually didn't get that much spam. But go a ton of spam for system UI tweaks, twrp and such how-tos I posted.

The primary reason I provided a pre-patched one here is because I had a ton of issues getting payload dumper to work on my fresh windows 11. And this was just easier.
    Same process as before?