[How To] Root, Backup, and ROM Your CDMA (nTelos) Milestone

Search This thread

kristenh_131

May 7, 2011
i have a problem, can anyone help???

ok, so i put a verizon rom on my alltel motorola milestone. now when i turn it on it is at the verizon activation screen. does anyone know how i can put an alltel rom back on my phone?? please help... you can email me at kristenh_131@yahoo.com thank you!!

thatguy07

Aug 3, 2009
Va Beach, Va
Getting errors . I've rooted, installed rom manager, both recoveries. Whem I try to install cyangen 7 it boots into recoveries and I get errors say cannot mount sd, and cannot find /dev/block/blk or something like that. Any ideas?

Sent from my OG Droid using tapatalk

mik693123

Dec 14, 2010
help

how do i place z4 into phone sd card ?
tried app 2sd , no option to move.
i can open z4
running exploit.
acquiring root shell.
thats as far as i can go.

mik693@gmail.com

burnt_genius

Jul 3, 2011
St. Albans, WV
I used the Universal Androot, I have SuperUser, installed ROM Manager.. but when i go to Flash Alternate Recovery, it's grayed out and says "No alternate recovery available"

What does this mean and how can I fix/get around it?

Thanks a bunch!

meltwater

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 28, 2009
I used the Universal Androot, I have SuperUser, installed ROM Manager.. but when i go to Flash Alternate Recovery, it's grayed out and says "No alternate recovery available"

What does this mean and how can I fix/get around it?

Thanks a bunch!

I have the same issue.

Could the OP of this sticky be updated for Milestone users which have locked bootloaders to point them to:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=17569718

Spent ages going in the wrong direction when all I needed was to use OpenRecovery instead.

Last edited:
May 1, 2011
Is it safe to root rom et., my ,x thats flashed on ntelos, im sort of a noob, i know the how to's, its just that the "tech" that flashed my phone said that if i root then his software wont connect back to my phone if something fails...well unless i unroot it which isnt a problem....i just want to root flash a stable rom for performance and still have my data web and calls with no problem any info is appreciated

meltwater

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 28, 2009
Is it safe to root rom et., my ,x thats flashed on ntelos, im sort of a noob, i know the how to's, its just that the "tech" that flashed my phone said that if i root then his software wont connect back to my phone if something fails...well unless i unroot it which isnt a problem....i just want to root flash a stable rom for performance and still have my data web and calls with no problem any info is appreciated

Depends on your definition of safe, stable, performance, problems etc...
1. You can break your phone, but just depends if you are willing to accept that if it does happen you may have to spend a while getting it working again (if you can). If you are able, make backups (of course until you have nand recovery it is tricky)!
2. All ROMs have issues even stock, so can only recommend you try out a good rom and see if you find issues which are a problem for you. I've only tried the Fire&Ice rom (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=941851) so far, seems nice enough not had any major complaints about it so far (not sure if it is memory heavy though or not, might just be down to our 256Mb Ram limit, there is not much RAM).
3. Make sure you read everything, particularly when things go differently to the tutorial, usually means you've either missed something or your device is different for some reason.
4. Don't panic! Try to understand what part of the device you are dealing with, recovery, system, boot etc usually if you mess up one (perhaps not the boot) you can still fix it. If you do have problems, then search around, try to find a few examples of similar problems and solutions, if the fix is the same then chances are it'll be ok for you too.
5. Be patient...1st boots do take longer, flashing doesn't always update progress bars smoothly and you don't want to interrupt any processes until you are sure they have finished. Ensure battery is charged and device is charging where possible.

What software is the tech talking about? Flashing a rom will replace all the installed software unless you reinstall it. Aren't you concerned about someone connecting back to your phone (which has your personal data, phone account etc on?), any idea what the software does?

Last edited:
Reactions: kingtreadwell2
May 1, 2011
he used flash to talk, and I believe qpst, I'm not sure about qpst, but the question I intended to ask is if I root, backup and flash a milestone x rom will it harm what the tech did to get me on ntelos?, when I call 611 they see it as the milestone, but I'm on a stock 2.2.1, 2.3.4. mb810.verizon.en.us

May 1, 2011
Also I just required root from z4root and am having the same problem with the recovery just mentioned...should I use the same method and get open recovery?.... 2.2 droid x flashed to ntelos

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

Okay I got the recovery to work with koush boot strap app. Now I gites the big question I made a backup can I flash a milestone rom to my droid x on ntelos. Thanks everyone for a great site and tia for any info that helps

jkettler

Apr 16, 2011
Milestone Plus XT609

Can I root my Milestone Plus using the same method that's used for the Milestone?

Jeff

Nakroid

Nov 9, 2011
Hello, i'm a Noob in this Forum and i love the Noob Tutorialvideo :D

I'm from Germany and my english is not very good. Thats the reason why i don't find the answers i need... :(

I flashed many Roms to my X10 or Optimus Speed. Now i want to flash a Milestone1 with this ROM: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=19081464&postcount=1240

The Milestone is a Stock 2.2 and i want to know wich steps i must take?:
1. Root?
2. Unlock Bootloader???
3. Kernel Flash???
4. Flash ROM.zip via recovery or Clockworkmod or ROMManager???

Thank you very much and sorry for my bad english!!!

Last edited:

arjaycabling

Mar 25, 2010
Hello, i'm a Noob in this Forum and i love the Noob Tutorialvideo :D

I'm from Germany and my english is not very good. Thats the reason why i don't find the answers i need... :(

I flashed many Roms to my X10 or Optimus Speed. Now i want to flash a Milestone1 with this ROM: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=19081464&postcount=1240

The Milestone is a Stock 2.2 and i want to know wich steps i must take?:
1. Root?
2. Unlock Bootloader???
3. Kernel Flash???
4. Flash ROM.zip via recovery or Clockworkmod or ROMManager???

Thank you very much and sorry for my bad english!!!

here's one of the tutorial..http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=19827216#post19827216

jdmm72

May 7, 2009
I have the same issue.

Could the OP of this sticky be updated for Milestone users which have locked bootloaders to point them to:

Spent ages going in the wrong direction when all I needed was to use OpenRecovery instead.

As has been said many times before, your GSM milestone and our CDMA Milestones are completely different. Ours are unbranded OG Droid 1's, with unlocked bootloader. In fact OG Droid ROMS work on our Milestone, but not on the GSM ones.

The title on the thread is nTelos, a specific carrier, Milestone.

Can I root my Milestone Plus using the same method that's used for the Milestone?

Jeff

No, the bootloader is locked. On the OG Milestone CDMA, it was unlocked just like the Droid OG.

Last edited:

itsrlong

Nov 12, 2009
Looking to root my Milestone Plus... Anybody know where I can find info? Basically the only thing I want it for is free WiFi hotspot.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a post I wrote for my personal forums nTelosDroid.com, but noticing there isn't a dedicated how to for CDMA Milestones, here it is!

So I posted how to root your Milestone using z4root a few days ago, which can be found here [link]. Now, with this post, I'm going to show you how to Root, ROM, and Restore back to the normal nTelos firmware. So heres the tools you'll need to begin. NOTE: These tools are all available for free! I'll host them for you on my DropBox as well as this server.

:!: WARNING: THIS CAN BRICK YOUR DEVICE MAKING IT COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY USELESS! I, MY SITE, OR MY STAFF, CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING YOU DO TO YOUR DEVICE! :!:

So, first thing we have to do before ANYTHING else is root or "open" your device. How we achieve this is by installing z4root or Universal Androot. Install the app, follow the directions for z4root from this thread. If you install Universal Androot, once it's installed:

Open Universal Androot
    Select Superuser for Android 2.0 ~ 2.2
    Don't tick Root Temporary or it'll root until next reboot
    Then click Root

If you just want root, stop here. If you want to make a backup and rom your device, continue.

Once you're rooted, exit to your Home screen, check to see if SuperUser was added to your list of apps. If it hasn't try to reroot. Once you see SuperUser, go to the Marketplace and download "ROM Manager" by clockworkmod. This is the tool we need to make a backup and rom the device. Once ROM Manager is installed, run it. You'll be prompted to enable SuperUser permissions. Click Allow.

Scroll all the way down to "Flash Alternate Recovery" which should say SPRecovery 0.99.3b
    It'll go through a download process and after that it'll Flash your recovery.
    DO NOT PULL THE BATTERY OUT OR SHUT THE PHONE DOWN! YOU'LL BRICK YOUR DEVICE!
    Scroll all the way back to the top and Flash the ClockworkMod Recovery 2.5.0.1
    It'll go through a download process and after that it'll Flash your recovery.
    DO NOT PULL THE BATTERY OUT OR SHUT THE PHONE DOWN! YOU'LL BRICK YOUR DEVICE!
    Once everything is flashed and finished, you are now ready to perform a nandroid backup.
    Scroll to Backup Current Rom
    A Window will pop up and you'll be able to name your new backup.
    Once it's named to your liking, click ok. Your device will reboot.
    After it reboots into recovery, it'll do a backup process. This shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.
    It should make a backup and reboot.
    If this doesn't happen, something has failed, pull the battery, reboot into recovery.
    Perform a nandroid backup. If that doesn't work, Congratulations! You'll have to sbf! (Google how to do this)

Once this process is finished, you'll have a full backup of your current OS! Now, you can completely stop here and enjoy your nTelos Milestone as "Stock" or continue on to ROM your device.

Open ROM Manager again, and scroll down to Download ROM. Now here's where you have to make a choice. If you don't want to make it a simple easy process, use the free version. You'll have to clear your cache and data in recovery by yourself. This tutorial will not get into that.

Roming is one of those things that if you do it, you will need to know EXACTLY what you're getting into. You're gonna have to setup settings that are hidden in the phone to make things like MMS and Data work. I'm merely showing how to ROM the device, another tutorial will show you how to setup things that aren't working. If you take it upon yourself to write one, please let me know, I'll link to it here.

Once you've downloaded the ROM of your choice, before you do ANYTHING make sure you have a BACKUP!!! Once you have that done, you find the ROM from the downloads section that you want, I chose Bugless Beast (but Cyanogen Mod is another ROM of choice). Once it's done downloading, it'll give you the option to backup your current rom and wipe the data/cache. Select both regardless if you have a backup. It'll go through the backup/install process. Your device will ask you to go through the basic initial setup. If it doesn't, click on the Market and sign in. Once that's done, your data, voice, and sms will be completely ready! If you want to enable MMS (Picture/Video Messages), follow these steps.

Open Voice Dial (NOT Voice Search)
    Say in a clear voice "Open APN's". This may take several tries.
    Once it's gives you that choice, click it.
    You'll see Verizon, tab it, change the name from Verizon to nTelos first
    Scroll down to MMSC and enter http://mms.ntelospcs.net
    Hit the Menu button (the Four bars next to the House on your device) and click Save
    Send a MMS to yourself to test the settings work!

And that's it! You have Rooted, Backed Up, and ROMed your device in under 1 hour! :lol: CONGRATS! :lol: If any thing messes up, you always have your back up. Boot into recovery by pressing and holding X then hitting the power button while keeping X pressed. Go to nandroid and recover from your SD card! Hope this helps!

z4root
    Universal Androot
    ROM Manager

I hope that this is a help for ANYONE on ANY Forum! Please, feel free to copy/paste this anywhere you feel necessary!

EDIT: For those with LOCKED Bootloaders, there was a post deep in the thread for unlocking them. Here's the quote:
    I have the same issue.

Very Nice

Great job and all of us CDMA a854 milestones thank you. We need more CDMA stuff!
    The Apns part didnt work for me. It either won't save or goes blank and reverts to Verizon on reboot. *tried APN manager as well* Also I noticed the marketplace usually says My Apps, but will switch to Verizon if you flash to say Cyanogen 6.1.2., Bugless ,or LFY.It would be great IF we could get developers to have ROM with no APN's so we can add our own.

Thanks again for the guide, nicely done.

Depends on your definition of safe, stable, performance, problems etc...
    1. You can break your phone, but just depends if you are willing to accept that if it does happen you may have to spend a while getting it working again (if you can). If you are able, make backups (of course until you have nand recovery it is tricky)!
    2. All ROMs have issues even stock, so can only recommend you try out a good rom and see if you find issues which are a problem for you. I've only tried the Fire&Ice rom (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=941851) so far, seems nice enough not had any major complaints about it so far (not sure if it is memory heavy though or not, might just be down to our 256Mb Ram limit, there is not much RAM).
    3. Make sure you read everything, particularly when things go differently to the tutorial, usually means you've either missed something or your device is different for some reason.
    4. Don't panic! Try to understand what part of the device you are dealing with, recovery, system, boot etc usually if you mess up one (perhaps not the boot) you can still fix it. If you do have problems, then search around, try to find a few examples of similar problems and solutions, if the fix is the same then chances are it'll be ok for you too.
    5. Be patient...1st boots do take longer, flashing doesn't always update progress bars smoothly and you don't want to interrupt any processes until you are sure they have finished. Ensure battery is charged and device is charging where possible.

What software is the tech talking about? Flashing a rom will replace all the installed software unless you reinstall it. Aren't you concerned about someone connecting back to your phone (which has your personal data, phone account etc on?), any idea what the software does?
    To Longhair

I. I have an A854. I used a program called EasyRoot from Unstable Apps. 8 bucks or so but worth it. I tried many different ways. That was the only way that didn't fail.
    Installed & Run "gingerbreak 1.2"
    Root checker: ROOT Succesful

Download & Install "ROM manager" - so far so good
    Run "Rom manager" Choose to flash "Cloworkmod Recovery" - msg "Flashed succesfully"
    Rebooting into Recovery - Triangle up on a phone appears

Where is the Recovery? :|