How to Root Fire HD 8 (7th Gen) ?

Search This thread

feelfreetoblameme

Nov 18, 2011
Portland, Oregon
LG V30
This ad removal fix is only temporary. For a permanent fix, call Amazon & tell them to opt out &/or remove the ads on Fire tab lock screen. They'll do it for free.

I just got a new Fire HD 8 and I went on the Amazon chat and got them to remove the ads. They did try to charge me 15 dollars for it at first, and after I said that I had read online that it was free to remove the ads and said something about only wanting the ads off the lockscreen. The rep said she would escalate it to a supervisor and then told me that they would make a one-time exception and I got the ads disabled. A little message popped up on my tablet that confirmed the ads were gone. Thanks to everyone on this forum for this tip!

Ralphort

Dec 21, 2016
ralphort.net
I just got a new Fire HD 8 and I went on the Amazon chat and got them to remove the ads. They did try to charge me 15 dollars for it at first, and after I said that I had read online that it was free to remove the ads and said something about only wanting the ads off the lockscreen. The rep said she would escalate it to a supervisor and then told me that they would make a one-time exception and I got the ads disabled. A little message popped up on my tablet that confirmed the ads were gone. Thanks to everyone on this forum for this tip!

The thing is, I never mentioned about paying to get rid of the ads when I placed a call & talked with an Amazon rep. On another related forum thread I've read here at xda, a guy tried to bargain with a rep why he should not pay to remove those ads mainly because he's a loyal customer or something... blah, blah, blah... I just told the rep straight to the point that I got a problem with my Amazon Fire tab - can't get rid of those Amazon ads. After checking my Amazon account, she then asked me where I bought my tablet (Target) then started the ads removal process. Before the conversation ended, the rep did explained to me that my opting out doesn't mean I won't be getting anymore ads from Amazon. It's just that it won't happen everyday but once every few months which is totally fine with me.

Last edited:

commandlinekid

Nov 14, 2012
New York
don't push the fault on me. this bloatOS is not advertised as cheaper version anywhere on the Kindle Fire HD 8 purchase page. they advertise it as "easy to use" and "always updated with latest offers" and this is no way explicative of what I'm going to purchase. a bad OS is just a bad OS and as a customer I have the rights to move criticism

RIGHT! I've never understood the apologists-for-the-great-dumbing-down.

The idea is this: I bought a little computer. It's mine. Get off my **** Amazon.

RIGHT! I've never understood the apologists-for-the-great-dumbing-down.

The idea is this: I bought a little computer. It's mine. Get off my **** Amazon.

Ever hear the expression 'read the small print?' You paid for exactly what they offered. They don't lie about ads and it's pretty clear it's a FireOS tablet, not an 'Android' tablet. It's buyer beware. If you don't read the print, that's on you.

commandlinekid

Nov 14, 2012
New York
Ever hear the expression 'read the small print?' You paid for exactly what they offered. They don't lie about ads and it's pretty clear it's a FireOS tablet, not an 'Android' tablet. It's buyer beware. If you don't read the print, that's on you.

No. You are wrong. That is the most misguided thing I've ever heard. You're either young or dumb. That is 100% antithetical to what decades of real men building real things believe and Must preserve for the sake of the future. Else everything will become "Facebook" and all children will become retarded.
Shame on your anti actual progressive spew. Go away.

No. You are wrong. That is the most misguided thing I've ever heard. You're either young or dumb. That is 100% antithetical to what decades of real men building real things believe and Must preserve for the sake of the future. Else everything will become "Facebook" and all children will become retarded.
Shame on your anti actual progressive spew. Go away.

You failed to read the print. That's not my fault or anyone elses on this site. It is not advertised as an Android tablet. Now here is another expression: 'you get what you pay for.' if you don't like the tablet, return it. Otherwise enjoy your new device ?

Reactions: RagManX

Arklytte

Sep 17, 2017
You failed to read the print. That's not my fault or anyone elses on this site. It is not advertised as an Android tablet. Now here is another expression: 'you get what you pay for.' if you don't like the tablet, return it. Otherwise enjoy your new device
:good::good::good:

Well said. :) It's noone's fault but your own if you didn't read the small print. If you didn't want ads, you're welcome to pay more for having them removed - or, as dozens of posts all over the forums indicate, get on LiveChat or call and talk to a CSR and they'll remove them with little to no hassle. That's what I did.

Commandlinekid sounds like just what the last part of his username is...a kid, whining that the GoBot he bought isn't a Transformer, even though the package CLEARLY said 'GoBot' on it. And then, hurling insults at anyone who has the GASP temerity to point that fact out.

Are the ads annoying? Sure! But they can be removed with minimal fuss and about 10 minutes of your time. Is the fact that it (currently) cant be rooted annoying? Sure! But as DragonFire said: You get what you pay for. And what you paid for is a FireOS tablet that runs a highly customized version of Android. And 90% of the customizations are geared towards spoon feeding you Amazon's products and services. That's what you knowingly bought. And if you, in your arrogance, or ignorance, chose to ignore the fine print, that's noone's fault but your own. If you want a rootable tablet that runs standard Android there are plenty of them out there. The price points are higher, of course, since they're not a vehicle for feeding off the sweet, sweet tit of Amazon (insert sarcasm smiley here), so, there's that. But from the sounds of it, CLK wanted something that was both cheap AND easily configurable, and is griping that that's not what he/she got - again, despite the fact that terms of the purchase were CLEARLY SPELLED OUT. Having your cake and eating it too is nice, but it rarely actually works that way in the real world.

(BTW, all 'you' references are the general 'you', not the 'you' that I quoted. :) It's also not (other than where he/she is specifically mentioned) Commandlinekid either, just for the sake of clarification, and to avoid flames.)

**********************************​

All that being said, does anyone know if there's been any more progress on rooting this tablet? While I do enjoy mine, and, IMO, the ads are more of a minor annoyance than an actual 'issue', I would still love to be able to remove some of the bloat and customize it a bit more. I *like* the pipeline to all of my Amazon stuff, and since I pay for a Prime membership, I dont want that gone. I just want a bit more control.

Thanks in advance for any additional info/help! :D

Reactions: AyUaxe

maxawesome

Apr 25, 2008
Seattle
Easily get the ads removed

I'll qualify this by saying I've been a Prime member for 8 years, so YMMV if you haven't.

I contacted Amazon support via Chat (Devices > My Fire > subject: "Special Offers" > details: "I need help with special offers."). The first thing the agent said was, "I see you need help with special offers on My Fire. Do you want them removed?"

I said, "yes".

He says, "Normally this costs $15/20, but today as an exception I will remove them."

I had to connect the tablet to wifi and reboot, and they're gone. It took 5 minutes. Done.

Reactions: mrmentat

a1exus

Jun 4, 2008
NYC
alexus.org
This worked great for me. Thanks! For those who want a more complete example, here's a Windows PowerShell session. (I already had the adb stuff installed.)

Code:
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> adb devices
List of devices attached
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
G090XXXXXXXXXXXX        device

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> adb shell
[email protected]:/ $ pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.kindle.kso
Success
[email protected]:/ $ exit
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> adb kill-server

Then reboot the tablet.

I'm getting this:

Code:
$ adb shell
Failure [DELETE_FAILED_INTERNAL_ERROR]
1|[email protected]:/ $

Snigglez

Feb 13, 2016
Where to begin hunting for exploits to gain root?
Agreeing with other posters here as I am really disappointed with this tablet.
I've lost near all my confidence and trust in Amazon due to this cheap and insulting (p)OS - really more of a just a tacky billboard disguised as a bad operating system.
It has a poor and unattractive UI and provides not even a little room for user modifications.
It is especially unnerving the extent of just how bad FireOS' restrictive design features really are, knowing the hardware itself is perfectly capable of far superior performance. This could have been a fantastic product that would have served to boost confidence and trust in Amazon's commitment to quality, garnering serious customer loyalty.
But instead turned out as a shameless and dirty greed-grab from Amazon; analogous to a severely retarded and ugly child that everyone in town thinks really should have aborted, but was instead kept around by the parents not out of love, but only so they could draw off welfare

Reactions: GoodSoul

rattler1975

May 27, 2016
Fire HD 8 (7th gen) More Info

Got on Christmas... came with Fire OS 5.4.0.1
Put Google apps on it.
It upgraded to 5.6.0.0
I contacted Amazon and they removed the ads...
Everything seems good. I can still install apps from google store.

Tried unlocking bootloader using several methods that have worked on similar (rootjunky gen 5 and others), no luck.
Tried Kingoroot several times... I thought it was going to work, but it didn't. (I tried both from PC and directly from Phone)
Can't do anything with it after screwing around with it for a few hours... makes me realize how much I don't know.

Pulled "more info" from Android_Device_System_Info.bat created by mattlgroff @ Batakang.com

Maybe someone smarter than me can figure something useful out...

Attachments

• build.txt
    7.9 KB · Views: 26
  • cpuinfo.txt
    349 bytes · Views: 12
  • default.txt
    403 bytes · Views: 9
  • df.txt
    1,006 bytes · Views: 19
  • meminfo.txt
    1,022 bytes · Views: 12
  • mounts.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 6
  • msm_partitions.txt
    61 bytes · Views: 21
Last edited:
Got on Christmas... came with Fire OS 5.4.0.1
Put Google apps on it.
It upgraded to 5.6.0.0
I contacted Amazon and they removed the ads...
Everything seems good. I can still install apps from google store.

Tried unlocking bootloader using several methods that have worked on similar (rootjunky gen 5 and others), no luck.
Tried Kingoroot several times... I thought it was going to work, but it didn't. (I tried both from PC and directly from Phone)
Can't do anything with it after screwing around with it for a few hours... makes me realize how much I don't know.

Pulled "more info" from Android_Device_System_Info.bat created by mattlgroff @ Batakang.com

Maybe someone smarter than me can figure something useful out...

I wonder what air.com.pixelmags is. Df.txt file, very bottom.

rattler1975

May 27, 2016
I wonder what air.com.pixelmags is. Df.txt file, very bottom.

I think has something to do with Kindle Magazines.... I was looking at different magazines last night... I downloaded a couple. They both sucked if that matters :D

I forgot to mention I have an SD card installed... apparently it's a "Move to SD card" artifact.

Do you think it could be used as an exploit?

Last edited:
Reactions: fire1951
I think has something to do with Kindle Magazines.... I was looking at different magazines last night... I downloaded a couple. They both sucked if that matters :D

I forgot to mention I have an SD card installed... apparently it's a "Move to SD card" artifact.

Do you think it could be used as an exploit?

Not likely. I have been experimenting with installing Linux on Android. I've made a few discoveries that could potentially have an effect. If I can get them working without root that is.

rattler1975

May 27, 2016
Not likely. I have been experimenting with installing Linux on Android. I've made a few discoveries that could potentially have an effect. If I can get them working without root that is.

Too bad.

I will say that one nice thing about the Fire OS is what seems like the seamless ability to us an SD card for expanded memory. I just put it in and it "told" that it would be used for expanded memory (I forget the actual syntax it used). All apps automagically get put onto the SD card now if possible.

I've never installed Linux on top of an Android install.

Too bad.

I will say that one nice thing about the Fire OS is what seems like the seamless ability to us an SD card for expanded memory. I just put it in and it "told" that it would be used for expanded memory (I forget the actual syntax it used). All apps automagically get put onto the SD card now if possible.

I've never installed Linux on top of an Android install.

Neither have I until the last week or so. Unfortunately doing so happened long before it's time and a lot of it is out of date software

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    this whole Fire OS concept is just dirty. When I turn the screen on I don't have a home screen but an Ad banner.. Wish I could just remove everything and start from scratch

They offered a cheaper version of their tablet with ads. You bought it. That was ultimately your choice, no matter how dirty it feels.
    don't push the fault on me. this bloatOS is not advertised as cheaper version anywhere on the Kindle Fire HD 8 purchase page. they advertise it as "easy to use" and "always updated with latest offers" and this is no way explicative of what I'm going to purchase. a bad OS is just a bad OS and as a customer I have the rights to move criticism

It clearly says on their page "With Special Offers" and "Without Special Offers" and just below the tablet color selection it says what special offers means and you can click to learn more. I'm not saying buying a tablet with ads is great. But you clearly had a choice to spend more to remove that. You can complain all you want, but it was ultimately a choice you made to buy the cheaper version with those ads. Not saying the OS is good and not standing behind Amazon at all. In fact, when I'm able to root mine, I'm putting a new ROM on it to make it more like Google, which I'm assuming you want to do as well.
    the os is not an os but an ads generator :°D I guess I'll just endure

This worked for me to remove ads: Using adb shell - pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.kindle.kso
    uhm I have this error using your method

Code:
    /system/bin/sh: /system/bin/sh: - : unknown option

Sorry I use dashes to delineate - bad habit: type like this:

pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.kindle.kso

You included dash before "pm" :)
    Sorry I use dashes to delineate - bad habit: type like this:

pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.kindle.kso

You included dash before "pm" :)

This worked great for me. Thanks! For those who want a more complete example, here's a Windows PowerShell session. (I already had the adb stuff installed.)

Code:
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> adb devices
    List of devices attached
    * daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
    * daemon started successfully *
    G090XXXXXXXXXXXX        device

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> adb shell
    Success
    [email protected]:/ $ exit
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> adb kill-server

Then reboot the tablet.