How to Root Fire HD 8 (7th Gen) ?

Search This thread

twpguy

Jun 17, 2018
B.S.

Its incredible how customer oriented amazon is as they just go above and beyond to keep you happy. they let you unsubscribe your discounted tablet for free if you give them a call. they have created a super inexpensive yet functional tablet that you basically wont regret to discard in a year or two. I got my fire HD 8 this prime day for $ 49.99 with special offers. Honestly those special offers (they are not ads - sort of) are not at all unpleasant. A traditional advertisement would be something that would be irritating which would delay what you were doing say listening to radio or watching a show etc. These special offers are just there on your lock screen just like any other wallpaper and don't cause any delay in you unlocking your tablet. Infact sometimes some of these offers that are basically lightning deals are something i may be interested in and a good deal given i shop so much on amazon. So i'm sticking with the lock screen offers for now.

Yes the fire OS is limiting but hey its so easy to install apps that are not on the amazon app store. i extracted the apk from my android phone and transferred it to my fire hd and installed it without even rooting it. All in all i'm very happy with this purchase and have nothing to complain.

cheers!

It's cheap because Amazon knew it's flaws. Tablet is junk to be honest

If it weren't for these tablets, I wouldn't have been able to teach myself half of what I know about them and other devices. These tablets are far from junk. The saying goes, you get what you pay for and in this case, Amazon doesn't try to lie and sell you something that's not advertised. The HD 8 may be the only device I own, I can't root, but I'm ok with that. What I'm able to do with it is almost as good.

Sent from my Amazon KFSUWI using XDA Labs

Reactions: FlyingHorseGA

bromeara

Jun 20, 2018
Different kernels.

Hi, I'm working with a Fire 7 (7th gen) and this is the closest device forum I could find. Which kernels are you referring to? I'm fairly certain mine is running austin which other kernels are run on these tablets (I think ford may be another). Also how flexible is the kernel layer on these devices i.e. can ROMs for one kernel generally run on another? (im not quite sure I get ROMs yet)

Reactions: Snigglez

Supersonic27543

Nov 14, 2016
Hi, I'm working with a Fire 7 (7th gen) and this is the closest device forum I could find. Which kernels are you referring to? I'm fairly certain mine is running austin which other kernels are run on these tablets (I think ford may be another). Also how flexible is the kernel layer on these devices i.e. can ROMs for one kernel generally run on another? (im not quite sure I get ROMs yet)

The kernels on all the Fire tablets except the new HD 10 are fairly the same, but, I'm almost sure ROMs for one tablet wouldn't work on other tablets (different chipsets and platforms), but it will be relatively easy to port I think. The HD 10 is an exception, it has a whole new architecture, which is not so good. (Unfixably vulnerable to DirtyC0W.)

The kernels on all the Fire tablets except the new HD 10 are fairly the same, but, I'm almost sure ROMs for one tablet wouldn't work on other tablets (different chipsets and platforms), but it will be relatively easy to port I think. The HD 10 is an exception, it has a whole new architecture, which is not so good. (Unfixably vulnerable to DirtyC0W.)

Unfixable is what you get when you release anbunpatched kernel. I don't get why Amazon did it though. Perhaps it was a test. Point is, the security patch is well beyond the dirty cow fix. Is Amazon lying about security patches? As for a custom ROM, the official 5.1.1 CM ROM I have may work with little modifications.

Sent from my Moto E4 using XDA Labs

adm1jtg

Jul 26, 2010
Georgia
Google Pixel 3a XL
Google Pixel 6
Unfixable is what you get when you release anbunpatched kernel. I don't get why Amazon did it though. Perhaps it was a test. Point is, the security patch is well beyond the dirty cow fix. Is Amazon lying about security patches? As for a custom ROM, the official 5.1.1 CM ROM I have may work with little modifications.

Sent from my Moto E4 using XDA Labs

cm on an amazon hd 10? Awesome.

The thing is, I never mentioned about paying to get rid of the ads when I placed a call & talked with an Amazon rep. On another related forum thread I've read here at xda, a guy tried to bargain with a rep why he should not pay to remove those ads mainly because he's a loyal customer or something... blah, blah, blah... I just told the rep straight to the point that I got a problem with my Amazon Fire tab - can't get rid of those Amazon ads. After checking my Amazon account, she then asked me where I bought my tablet (Target) then started the ads removal process. Before the conversation ended, the rep did explained to me that my opting out doesn't mean I won't be getting anymore ads from Amazon. It's just that it won't happen everyday but once every few months which is totally fine with me.

I got mine and got some for my kids. I just added my amazon account, and asked the rep online if they could remove the ads from all of them. They did it without asking or telling me anything.

Aug 8, 2018
It clearly says on their page "With Special Offers" and "Without Special Offers" and just below the tablet color selection it says what special offers means and you can click to learn more. I'm not saying buying a tablet with ads is great. But you clearly had a choice to spend more to remove that. You can complain all you want, but it was ultimately a choice you made to buy the cheaper version with those ads. Not saying the OS is good and not standing behind Amazon at all. In fact, when I'm able to root mine, I'm putting a new ROM on it to make it more like Google, which I'm assuming you want to do as well.
I agree with hhiru. Amazon's tablets suck. They run a dirty business with these fire os tablets. Windows 98 works better than those things.

The-Doc

Jan 5, 2015
Xiaomi Pad 6

I agree with hhiru. Amazon's tablets suck. They run a dirty business with these fire os tablets. Windows 98 works better than those things.

Junk??? Are you for real? There isn't a tablet on the market that can even come close to the Fire 8 and 10 HD for the price.

If it weren't for these tablets, I wouldn't have been able to teach myself half of what I know about them and other devices. These tablets are far from junk. The saying goes, you get what you pay for and in this case, Amazon doesn't try to lie and sell you something that's not advertised. The HD 8 may be the only device I own, I can't root, but I'm ok with that. What I'm able to do with it is almost as good.

Spot on... and thanks for your work on getting 'OK Google' working on the Kindle. Mine still only works when it wants to but I do appreciate your efforts.

Junk... LOL

jonthn41

Oct 29, 2015
Bakersfield
Im prerty sure this device is the same architecture as the ver iz on e llipsis 10 which was also vulnerable to dirtycow, running 5.1 lollipop . I tried to root the ellipsis for ages (not that i have any special skill s at rooting) but the closest i vot was actually rootec dbut upon reboot if i didnt fully u ninstal foot before reboot it would soft brick. And when i did fully uninstall before reboot it would still bootloop once then boot normally

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    this whole Fire OS concept is just dirty. When I turn the screen on I don't have a home screen but an Ad banner.. Wish I could just remove everything and start from scratch

They offered a cheaper version of their tablet with ads. You bought it. That was ultimately your choice, no matter how dirty it feels.
    don't push the fault on me. this bloatOS is not advertised as cheaper version anywhere on the Kindle Fire HD 8 purchase page. they advertise it as "easy to use" and "always updated with latest offers" and this is no way explicative of what I'm going to purchase. a bad OS is just a bad OS and as a customer I have the rights to move criticism

It clearly says on their page "With Special Offers" and "Without Special Offers" and just below the tablet color selection it says what special offers means and you can click to learn more. I'm not saying buying a tablet with ads is great. But you clearly had a choice to spend more to remove that. You can complain all you want, but it was ultimately a choice you made to buy the cheaper version with those ads. Not saying the OS is good and not standing behind Amazon at all. In fact, when I'm able to root mine, I'm putting a new ROM on it to make it more like Google, which I'm assuming you want to do as well.
    the os is not an os but an ads generator :°D I guess I'll just endure

This worked for me to remove ads: Using adb shell - pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.kindle.kso
    uhm I have this error using your method

Code:
    /system/bin/sh: /system/bin/sh: - : unknown option

Sorry I use dashes to delineate - bad habit: type like this:

pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.kindle.kso

You included dash before "pm" :)
    Sorry I use dashes to delineate - bad habit: type like this:

pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.kindle.kso

You included dash before "pm" :)

This worked great for me. Thanks! For those who want a more complete example, here's a Windows PowerShell session. (I already had the adb stuff installed.)

Code:
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> adb devices
    List of devices attached
    * daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
    * daemon started successfully *
    G090XXXXXXXXXXXX        device

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> adb shell
    shell@douglas:/ $ pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.kindle.kso
    Success
    shell@douglas:/ $ exit
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> adb kill-server

Then reboot the tablet.