• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

How to root froyo 2.2.2

Search This thread

Hellzya

Jan 16, 2011
Download the .apk found here. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1044765 i used version 1.2. install a file manager if you transfered the file from your pc and find the .apk and install it. if doing it from the device same thing. before opening the .apk make sure debugging is on and unknown sources is enabled.

Open the gingerbreak .apk and simply click Root device. If successful the device will reboot. Once it reboots download an app that requires superuser. and if all went well it should ask for superuser perms. Also you should now see the SU apk in your app draw.

Now Download Rom Manager from the market and flash Clockworkmod recovery and flash away. Rom manager is only good for flashing recovery nothing else works within it. You must manually enter recovery by holding + volume and power until bootloader menu appears. Then select option 2. Make sure your battery has 80% or more. No more fastboot. Good luck and happy streaking.

I'm not responsible if you brick your device. Do some reading before you think about rooting and see if its for you.

Thanks goes to the devs of gingerbreak.

Last edited:

Gravityrat

Oct 8, 2010
Austin
THANK YOU HELLZYA!

And Thanks to Chainfire over at GingerBreak.

This is the coolest thing EVER!

So happy to have root now!!!!!!

Time to be a flash monster. lol

Gravityrat

Oct 8, 2010
Austin
Very strange. I have SU but CWM does not work.

I click on Backup ROM and it just reboots.

I click on Install ROM from SDCard and it just reboots.

I click Reboot into Recovery and it just reboots.

Other than that everything else works great that needs SU.

cdzo72

Mar 19, 2011
Heredia
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Now everything force closes

I haven't been able to flash because everytime I reboot my Streak 7 returns to factory state, so in another thread I was suggested this workaround to help me get CWM installed and then flash another ROM...

Well, I ran this and it seemed to be fine, ran quick and then rebooted, but much to my disappointment, now everything force closes, everything, I can't even use the calculator.... and sometimes the startup wizard crashes and/or the home launcher...

Im worse off than when I started.

About the only info I can give you is that it's a Streak 7 with 2.2.2 installed

Hellzya

Jan 16, 2011
Gravityrat rom manager is only good for flashing recovery nothing else. You have to manually access. Cwr by holding plus volume and power till you see bootloader menu. Select option 2 and you will be presented with cwr. Make sure your battery is at 80% or more

sent from a tower

Z4nd4r

Jun 15, 2010
Colorado Springs
Where was this when I spent hours using SuperOneClick and finding workarounds? :D

But seriously, thanks for the method input! I love methods that don't require a computer (I'm trying to rid myself of a computer entirely, so I hate to hook up to my old desktop even if it's to root).

chiefy009

Oct 29, 2010
You need to download the gingerbreak apk from xda, make sure you allow opps from unknown sources and have debugging ticked, install the apk then open it and run it your streak will reboot then you have root hope it helps you

Go to your streaks settings and within there in applciations and development sections

Settings - applications - tick unknown sources - select development - tick debugging

Sent from my X10 using XDA Premium App

Last edited:
Reactions: otnos

otnos

Nov 15, 2009
Dallas
You need to download the gingerbreak apk from xda, make sure you allow opps from unknown sources and have debugging ticked, install the apk then open it and run it your streak will reboot then you have root hope it helps you

Go to your streaks settings and within there in applciations and development sections

Settings - applications - tick unknown sources - select development - tick debugging

Thank you for this explanation!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Download the .apk found here. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1044765 i used version 1.2. install a file manager if you transfered the file from your pc and find the .apk and install it. if doing it from the device same thing. before opening the .apk make sure debugging is on and unknown sources is enabled.

Open the gingerbreak .apk and simply click Root device. If successful the device will reboot. Once it reboots download an app that requires superuser. and if all went well it should ask for superuser perms. Also you should now see the SU apk in your app draw.

Now Download Rom Manager from the market and flash Clockworkmod recovery and flash away. Rom manager is only good for flashing recovery nothing else works within it. You must manually enter recovery by holding + volume and power until bootloader menu appears. Then select option 2. Make sure your battery has 80% or more. No more fastboot. Good luck and happy streaking.

I'm not responsible if you brick your device. Do some reading before you think about rooting and see if its for you.

Thanks goes to the devs of gingerbreak.

shouldnt sit there too long less then a minute.