How to root Galaxy Tab S7(+). (GUIDE)

Search This thread

AnonVendetta

Apr 29, 2016
Portland, OR
@Michael Carleone: No, I haven't rooted yet, but I have decided to keep it. I want to pay it off in full before rooting, which should be in about 2 more months, since I'm making payments that are much more than the $40 per month minimum.

DHGE

Jun 20, 2015
coastal paradise
Anyway, I'm hesitant here. I see the initial post it says download the firmware (but no link is provided) and to patch. There are no instructions on what is the process to patch (again a common issue I have with XDA posts). Maybe I need to start a new thread ...
Just a bit more reading should be enough.
Read post #84 in this thread for instructions and the following posts up to #92 for some more background.

Reactions: Michael Carleone

Michael Carleone

Mar 3, 2012
@Michael Carleone: No, I haven't rooted yet, but I have decided to keep it. I want to pay it off in full before rooting, which should be in about 2 more months, since I'm making payments that are much more than the $40 per month minimum.
Thanks for getting back to me. I had the S6 Lite . With Samsung, I found they have horrible customer support. The last thing you want to do is void your warranty by rooting. Apparently some Samsung apps get removed when rooting and you can't get them back when you're unrooting. I wouldn't be suprised if Samsung verifies this as part of their RMA process.

My S6 Lite wasn't bad in terms of bloatware and other issues like ads et al when I used Adguard. However, I like certain capabilities of rooting like syncing device times with an NTP server, and force shutting down open or auto running apps, and more. Unfortunately, many sites or apps don't like rooted [Android] devices. Most bank apps and Snapchat are this way, YMMV.

Additionally, Android inherently leaks your physical location even with a VPN. When I was abroad a few years ago, I wanted to watch my local tv shows from my Cable provider's app. I wasn't able to do so. Even with a VPN, it knew I was outside of my country. So, rooting has its advantages. I wish it wasn't so complicated.

Reactions: Markeee

AnonVendetta

Apr 29, 2016
Portland, OR
@Michael Carleone: This would be the 1st Android device I haven't rooted immediately after buying it. And I've been using Android and rooting for at least 10 years.

I don't really care about losing things like Android Pay, Samsung Pay, banking apps, Pokemon Go, Netflix, etc. Losing Secure Folder would be a bigger deal, but I've heard that there are ways to get it working while rooted. The warranty is another matter, but it's the risk you take with this kind of thing, we all know what's at stake.

In regards to the Samsung RMA process for a warranty voided device, what I've read is that they will still fix IF the damage is hardware only and not caused by rooting. In addition, they would probably ask you to pay out of pocket for the repairs. But as far as rejecting your warranty claim outright, I doubt it. In places like the European Union, the laws are vastly in favor of the consumer when it comes to warranties, less so in the US.

Michael Carleone

Mar 3, 2012
@AnonVendetta I noticed something the other night which might be of signifcance. I don't know if it's because my ZTE Tablet running Android 10 which is unrooted (no info here at all on that) had issues with Adguard Premium where it would disconnect every few minutes. I have an older version of Adguard on my rooted Nexus 7 tablet and I never had this issue before.

For me, the S7+ tablet would be a portable replacement for my Windows laptop. While I have an Android emulator (running Android 7) it's not the same as a tablet and I would need access to banking apps. Given how I'm in North America, I'm now apprehensive to root the S7+.

It took me 3 years after I got my Nexus 2013 before I rooted it. I had additional extra purchase protection thru my credit card. Back then, I was warned that even the extended warranty could be void by rooting. So I waited more than two years. I ran ADB, unlocked the bootloader, and installed TWRP. Superuser I think was optional, but I installed it anyway. I believe the method was a destructive root, if I recall though.

AnonVendetta

Apr 29, 2016
Portland, OR
@Michael Carleone: Why do you need a banking *APP*, specifically? Just open up a Web browser and log into the bank's webpage. From there you should be able to manage nearly everything, if not everything, that you would be able to do via their app. And with a banking app, it will typically check SafetyNet/root status, webpage login won't. I have a credit union instead of a bank, and while their app does work on rooted devices (a rare thing for this kind of app), I still prefer webpage login.

Even when it comes to thing like FB, I still prefer webpage access vs using their official apps. Call me old school, I don't care.

I have no experience with AdBlock, so far I've always just rooted my devices and modified the hosts file in system partition. That works to block most ads. I hear NetGuard is good for this purpose on unrooted devices, but I haven't used it extensively.

DHGE

Jun 20, 2015
coastal paradise
Android inherently leaks your physical location even with a VPN. When I was abroad a few years ago, I wanted to watch my local tv shows from my Cable provider's app. I wasn't able to do so. Even with a VPN, it knew I was outside of my country.
Its is getting offtopic here...
I know at least one commercial provider that sells (as a subscription) the IP numbers of the servers that VPN providers (have to) use. There is even a github page if you do not want to shell out money.
I set up proxies with several hosting providers in Europe to circumvent geoblocking.
They all did not achieve what I wanted - I found the (my proxies) IP addresses as ranges on the github list.

Rooting has nothing to do with "leaking physical location" or not.
VPN works well without rooting.
Most servers are known by their IP numbers (luck if you find an unknown) or will be on lists soon.

DHGE

Jun 20, 2015
coastal paradise
Why do you need a banking *APP*, specifically?

I have no experience with AdBlock, so far I've always just rooted my devices and modified the hosts file ...
The "modern" banks use these apps for mandatory OTPs and/or verifying your login on the web page. No app -> no more browser based banking.

You could set your DNS server to that of Adguard. But then they know (as everyone who runs a DNS server) when and where your interests on the internet are.
Your way with root and curated hosts file gives you better privacy.

AnonVendetta

Apr 29, 2016
Portland, OR
@DHGE: I haven't yet been a customer of any bank that only allowed account access via an app. In all cases where they had an app, webpage login was also available as a alternative. At my credit union, which only exists in several states on the US West Coast, I can do everything via webpage login that I can do through their app. Checking balances, transferring $, managing my CU-issued credit card, etc. Admittedly, they're not a national bank like Wells Fargo, Chase, etc.

I can't see big bank's entirely doing away with Web-based login anytime soon. Quite a few people still prefer to access their accounts via PC. Apps work great for Android and iOS, but they're not really an alternative for people that use PCs a majority of the time (for work, school, whatever). An exception would be if they were to release an app on, say, the Windows Store.

And there's nothing inherently more secure in regards to an app vs Web access. The latter can and typically is encrypted with various technologies (SSL, signed certificates, etc). You'll be extremely hard pressed these days to find a bank that doesn't use the latest high tech military/govt-grade encryption for Web-based access. It's pretty much a universal standard among financial institutions.

All this has gotten off-topic anyway. Maybe someone should open a new thread if they want to discuss adblocking or whatever. I'm still looking for a good way to block ads on my tab, I may keep it unrooted for a few months. It runs really well without it, so there's not an immediate need to root, but it's something I'd like to do sooner or later. No rush here.

Last edited:

AnonVendetta

Apr 29, 2016
Portland, OR
@Lif3mau5: That's weird, I don't see a September patch for the XAR US region. I'm still on the July patch.

As for the error, this is just a wild guess, but maybe you need a patched/unofficial Odin that skips the checksum verification of the file to be flashed. Magisk isn't exactly authorized by Samsung. Or maybe the September update contains something that blocks Magisk. If that's the case, I don't want it.

Reactions: Lif3mau5

Lif3mau5

Oct 4, 2014
Stuttgart
Google Pixel 2 XL
@Lif3mau5: That's weird, I don't see a September patch for the XAR US region. I'm still on the July patch.

As for the error, this is just a wild guess, but maybe you need a patched/unofficial Odin that skips the checksum verification of the file to be flashed. Magisk isn't exactly authorized by Samsung. Or maybe the September update contains something that blocks Magisk. If that's the case, I don't want it.
Only for Europe: https://samfw.com/firmware/SM-T870/EUX/T870XXU2BUI1

Latest patched Odin is 3.14.1_3B?

Update with latest patched Odin:

<ID:0/003> Total Binary size: 9435 M
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/003> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/003> abl.elf
<ID:0/003> xbl.elf
<ID:0/003> xbl_config.elf
<ID:0/003> tz.mbn
<ID:0/003> hyp.mbn
<ID:0/003> devcfg.mbn
<ID:0/003> aop.mbn
<ID:0/003> cmnlib.mbn
<ID:0/003> cmnlib64.mbn
<ID:0/003> qupv3fw.elf
<ID:0/003> NON-HLOS.bin
<ID:0/003> dspso.bin
<ID:0/003> km4.mbn
<ID:0/003> storsec.mbn
<ID:0/003> sec.elf
<ID:0/003> bksecapp.mbn
<ID:0/003> tz_iccc.mbn
<ID:0/003> tz_hdm.mbn
<ID:0/003> apdp.mbn
<ID:0/003> msadp.mbn
<ID:0/003> uefi_sec.mbn
<ID:0/003> multi_image.mbn
<ID:0/003> vbmeta.img
<ID:0/003> vaultkeeper.mbn
<ID:0/003> recovery.img
<ID:0/003> super.img
<ID:0/003> dtbo.img
<ID:0/003> vbmeta.img
<ID:0/003> vbmeta_samsung.img
<ID:0/003> FAIL! (Auth)
<ID:0/003>
<ID:0/003> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

And on the screen of the SM-T870 there's a message says: Only official released binaries are allowed to be flashed (vbmeta)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210918-135112_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20210918-135112_Settings.jpg
    397.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Lif3mau5

Oct 4, 2014
Stuttgart
Google Pixel 2 XL
I've got it now! Before, I always patched the AP file to my phone with Magisk and now I've downloaded and installed the latest Magisk Beta Manager. Then I patched the AP (with an error message because of busybox) but with Odin and the CSC_OMC (not with the Home_CSC) it worked. I don't know why exactly, but in any case Magisk can also run with the latest September patch ...

AnonVendetta

Apr 29, 2016
Portland, OR
@Lif3mau5: Odin 3.14.1 is latest official. There is also 3.14.4, but it's just a hacked 3.14.1 with a shady networking file added in. All the other unofficial/patched versions are older.

Nice to know you got it rooted though, this thread is training wheels for me, so I'll have a better idea of what to do when I decide to make the leap of faith. Let other people make the mistakes and learn from their experiences, LOL. I've already read most of the posts in this thread.

Reactions: Lif3mau5

Lif3mau5

Oct 4, 2014
Stuttgart
Google Pixel 2 XL
I would like to know how to do it when a security patch appears again, so that after flashing with Odin the device does not end up in the boot loop and I do not have to reset everything to the factory settings. Before flashing the September patch, I uninstalled Magisk and then installed the firmware via Odin and the Home_CSC.

Jerry12798

Hi. I just bought the S7+ too and I haven't received it yet.

I'm confused. I thought I read the bootloader was already unlocked? All I want is root, nothing more unless it's really necessary to install a custom ROM.

I also have the iPhone X and successfully rooted my first tablet many years ago, the Nexus 7 2013. Instructions online (not here ) were extremely thorough. But instructions here were quite convoluted and required the user to have a lot of knowledge and skill on the lingo and prerequisites. I quickly gave up.

Anyway, I'm hesitant here. I see the initial post it says download the firmware (but no link is provided) and to patch. There are no instructions on what is the process to patch (again a common issue I have with XDA posts). Maybe I need to start a new thread but I risk the mods moving it back here and burying it.
Was you able to get your tablet rooted? If not I may make a more detailed post for ease of access as well as to explain some steps better.

Bootloaders that are able to be unlocked very rarely come pre unlocked.. you still have to go into settings to enable OEM Unlocking then connect to a PC to actually unlock the bootloader.

There's not too much lingo but I agree it's harder these days to jump into the rooting community as people don't seem to go into as much detail anymore. I believe a lot of this is to avoid detection from the devices respected companies but then again it could just be people being short.

We don't provide links for firmware as if you download it from basically anywhere besides Frijia you run the risk of having malware in it and/or having slow download speeds. Magisk patching instructions wasn't included for some reason but it's the same way you would patch Magisk for any other device which consists of downloading the app, moving the boot file to your device, patching it on device with Magisk Manager, transferring the patched boot file back to your PC, and then flashing it to your device.

AnonVendetta

Apr 29, 2016
Portland, OR
@Jerry12798: Frija requires a PC. Sometimes I like to download firmware on my phone then later transfer it to PC for flashing. I find that galaxyfirmware.com is a good alternative. The download is fast if you save it to your Google Drive first. And I'm pretty sure there's no malware injected. My bootloader is still locked and my device status reads as official after Odin flashing the July firmware. If the firmware were modded, my locked bootloader wouldn't have allowed the tab to start up. Proof that my download is clean.

AnonVendetta

Apr 29, 2016
Portland, OR
I just clean flashed the EUX BUI1 September update (using CSC instead of Home CSC). Everything looks nearly the same. Except I've now noticed that the OEM Unlocking option is entirely missing from developer options. I don't think you can unlock/root if it's not toggled on, but it's not there for me at all.

I'm also not liking how they changed the Settings look. I prefer the single pane list view, but they just had to split it into 2 sides.

AnonVendetta

Apr 29, 2016
Portland, OR
After running the ROM for a few days, it seems the issue has fixed itself. I noticed yesterday that OEM unlocking is present and enabled in dev options. I'd like to try rooting within the next few weeks.

AnonVendetta

Apr 29, 2016
Portland, OR
I'm interested to know if anyone is playing Call Of Duty Mobile on their rooted Tab S7+. Is there anything special that needs to be done, or is just turning on Magisk Hide and repackaging Magisk with a random name enough? I've put alot of time into this game and gotten quite good at it ever since I bought this tab, but I read it has a root check that could trigger crashes/kicks/temp bans. I don't cheat or anything like that, I just like the freedom of modification that root gives.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Download the firmware, and extract "boot.img.lz4" from AP.
    Use 7-zip or something else to compress the boot file and choose TAR format.
    Use Magisk to patch the "boot.img.tar", and you will get "magisk_patched.tar" in /Download folder.
    Flash it as AP and wipe user data. (You should unlock the bootloader.)
    Then you have successfully rooted your device.

How to download the firmware.
    Use Samfirm to search device model and CSC code.
    It seems that Sammobile has not released the firmware of the new Galaxy Tab S7 series.
    The various mileage from people rooting in this forum offers super conflicting information, especially conflicting with the OP.

Can somebody who knows what they're doing, please make an actual guide that is longer than 5 short lines of general info, with links to files and explaining why he picked what thing to do / downmload, and then also please explain:
    - what do you loose by rooting? knox? netflix widevine L1? dex? pen? bootloader unlocked (how)? anything else asked on here and here?
    - how do you update after rooting? (without re-flashing everything every time)

There's another quick guide in this thread, but no replies and no explanation for why he did what, so again not an actual guide that inspires confidence.
    Knox is 100% tripped. Samsung Pass cannot use. Netflix widevine, Dex and Spen are not affected.

Unlock Bootloader: turn on "OEM unlocking" in "Developer options"
    connect to the PC, reboot the tablet and hold both volume up and down. Then hold volume up to unlock it. (The method may be different now)

Download the firmware from Frija and unzip it.
    Unzip the AP file, you will get "boot.img.lz4" and tar this file, get a tar file.
    Copy it to your phone and use magisk to patch it, get "magisk_patched.tar" in "/Download". Copy it to the PC.
    Whether your phone is rooted or not is not important.

Boot into Download Mode, and use Odin flash AP, BL, CSC, (CP). Then use AP slot flash "magisk_patched.tar".
    Install magisk manager on your tablet.
    Done.

When updating your tablet, you should reflash it, including the new patched file, but use the "HOME_CSC" file instead of "CSC" file.
    Data will not be lost.

Why patch the boot file?
    When patching it, magisk is written into it. When you boot your tablet, magisk will run. Another way is to patch the recovery file. When boot into recovery, magisk will run.

When updating, why flash "HOME_CSC"?
    Flash "HOME_CSC" you will keep all your data, if you flash "CSC", you will lose all your data. It is the easiest way to update it.

Any way to fix the Knox?
    No.

Frija: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/tool-frija-samsung-firmware-downloader-checker.3910594/
    Odin: https://odindownloader.com
    Magisk: https://magiskmanager.com
    I know this is a question that might be better suited for its own thread but I kinda think its a quick answer for you guys.

What do you gain from root on this specific device? I haven't had to root a device in a few years since Android has gotten pretty dammed good for my use case, but what's there to be had from rooting a tablet?

I'm looking forward to my Tab S7+ but if I can make it better with root then I'd love to do it.

I have rooted my Tab S7+ what i gained is the ability to add a system wide ad block with adguard doh + firewall with the ability to use a vpn at the same time.

Also bouncer now works seamlessly with a rooted device. I also use warden which blocks in app trackers and loggers from system apps and debloat easily from the device without using adb.

I am able to use tasker to seamlessly adjust apps that are not optimized for tablets in landscape mode so that they work properly on my device.

All of that is only possible with a rooted device and im discovering new tweaks every single day.
    1) The firmware I've downloaded doesn't have a 'CP' to flash (I think that's just the modem?).
    2) Do I need that?
    3) It has AP, BL, CSC and HOME_CSC only. Is it because I have the wifi-only version?
    1) Correct
    2) No
    3) Yes
    Anyone updated to one ui 3.1??
    Yes, currently running 3.1 on my Tab S7+ (SM-T970). Rooting also went well, no issues so far