How to root Galaxy Tab S7(+). (GUIDE)

Search This thread

AnonVendetta

Apr 29, 2016
@Markeee: would you mind saying how you managed to relock the bootloader? I'm unlocked but want to temp relock to test something. I can get into download mode but there is no option to relock.

AnonVendetta

Apr 29, 2016
@Markeee: Forget I asked. I mistook you for someone else. Not too long ago, someone in the Tab S7(+) subforum asked how to relock. I thought it was you.

AnonVendetta

Apr 29, 2016
Yeah I don't know much about how to lock and unlock the bootloader but a quick google search seems to bring up some how to videos
I know how to unlock it just fine. It's relocking that I can't figure out. Every guide I've found says to boot into download mode and select an option to relock. But I see no such option in my download mode screen. Strangely enough, volume up brightens the screen and volume down dims it, but neither works to select a seemingly invisible relock option. I can also use power + volume up, but that only exits download mode.

A user in the Tab S7(+) subforum says they managed to relock via the "bootloader menu" but didn't go into detail. The only things I know of that could be that, would be download mode. There is another interesting screen you can get to, by connecting to PC via USB, initiating an ADB connection, then typing "adb shell reboot bootloader". But this screen doesn't have a relock option either. I'm not sure what the purpose of this screen is, since it doesn't require root etc to get to it. Although I've seen screens similar to it in other devices. And my OEM unlocking in developer options is toggled on but greyed out, yet i cant toggle it off to relock.

I just downgraded from Android 12 back to 11, I was a bit dissatisfied with 12. I'm not rooted and TWRP isn't installed, just pure stock ATM. But I'm apparently still unlocked and can't figure out how to relock.

AnonVendetta

Apr 29, 2016
I had Secure Folder working perfectly on Android 11 a few months ago. This was the case even with unlocked bootloader, Magisk, TWRP, neutralized vbmeta, etc. I didnt even have to do anything special, I just signed in and it worked out of the box. I noticed others saying it wouldnt work after root etc, and tried it anyway, surprised to see that it worked.

But after upgrading to Android 12, it no longer worked under the same circumstances. It just gives a "couldnt create Secure Folder" error. So I downgraded back to Android 11 recently, only to find that SF doesnt work anymore and gives the same error I got on 12.

This was one of my reasons for downgrading, but not the only one. So I'm going to hack away and try to find a solution. In other places I've been reading, SF can be made to work even with root.

googlephoneFKLenAsh

Jul 31, 2017
Google Pixel 3a
OnePlus Nord N10 5G
Anyone successfully updated to the new firmware T870XXU2CVCD with April 1 security patch without losing data?

I flashed BL, AP, and HOME_CSC in odin and the tablet auto-boot into recovery with two options: factory reset or try again.
In the log, there was an error: Unable to set property "ro.boottime.init.mount.cache".

It didn't boot into system, and I had to do factory reset to boot into system. Then I moved on to next step and flashed the magisk patched boot.img.tar in odin and had to factory reset again to root the tablet.

Last edited:

NexusS4gFreak

Sep 13, 2011
Riverdale,GA
I have a T978U, stuck in kiosk mode on startup so only have bootloader and maybe fastboot to do anything. Went to try and factory reset from the bootloader but only has an option to wipe cache, not data or system. What's the best way for me to go about factory resetting and then rooting my Tablet?

Leroy_Sparks

Jun 12, 2018
After pulling my hair out for a few hours, I finally got rooted. I'm on the latest Android version for XAR (T870XXU2CVE5 ). Odin kept failing when trying to install either the patched boot image or entire AP, but I finally noticed something that led me to fix it - I would get the unlocked bootloader message on startup but in developers options the unlock bootloader option was missing. After full reinstall, factory reset and re-enabling DE (bootloader unlock then returned enabled) I was able to obtain root.

Since I haven't seen this latest a12 version mentioned (June 2022) in this thread, here's what I used:

Files from Frija
Magisk Canary
Odin 3.14.4

Last edited:
After pulling my hair out for a few hours, I finally got rooted. I'm on the latest Android version for XAR (T870XXU2CVE5 ). Odin kept failing when trying to install either the patched boot image or entire AP, but I finally noticed something that led me to fix it - I would get the unlocked bootloader message on startup but in developers options the unlock bootloader option was missing. After full reinstall, factory reset and re-enabling DE (bootloader unlock then returned enabled) I was able to obtain root.

Since I haven't seen this latest a12 version mentioned (June 2022) in this thread, here's what I used:

Files from Frija
Magisk Canary
Odin 3.14.4
What do You mean Re-enable DE?
I'm in the same exact spot. Flashed last rom and i can't patch AP with magisk...

Leroy_Sparks

Jun 12, 2018
What do You mean Re-enable DE?
I'm in the same exact spot. Flashed last rom and i can't patch AP with magisk...
Should have abbreviated it 'DO'. Enable Developer Options (via tapping the Build info 7 times) and turn on the unlock bootloader option.

Intially I had the bootloader unlock enabled, but somehow the option disappeared (yet still got the unlocked bootloader warning on bootup). After doing a full factory reset and turning Developer Options back on, I was able to do the unlock bootloader option then flash the magisk patched boot file.

Last edited:
Should have abbreviated it 'DO'. Enable Developer Options (via tapping the Build info 7 times) and turn on the unlock bootloader option.

Intially I had the bootloader unlock enabled, but somehow the option disappeared (yet still got the unlocked bootloader warning on bootup). After doing a full factory reset and turning Developer Options back on, I was able to do the unlock bootloader option then flash the magisk patched boot file.
Thank You, your description helped me get this working. You were right that unlock option appears after i connected to internet... strange...

AnonVendetta

Apr 29, 2016
Hi:

I'm going to need a new tab soon and was advised the T7+ is easier to root than T7. agree/disagree? i'll likely get the LTE/5 version. Currently have a 5e. Thanks!
The process for rooting them is exactly the same. But the Tab S7+ has a higher quality screen, that makes it the better bet. Things will look alot better, at the cost of slightly worse battery life. The Tab S7+ also has working TWRP builds, whereas the Tab S7 never has. People have tried to develop a custom recovery for it but encountered serious issues. TWRP may not matter to some, but it does to me. With it I can easily do useful things like installing custom GSI ROMs and backing up/restoring the data partition.

If you're willing to pay a little extra, go for the Korean version of Tab S7+, its' model is SM-T976N. I used to have an SM-T970, but sold it to a friend and bought that instead. It supports 4g and 5g, I'm using it with T-Mobile right now. It also has something that none of the other Tab S7+ models have...12GB of RAM, whereas the others have either 6 or 8GB at most. It also comes with 512GB of storage. Unfortunately the firmware's native language is Korean, but it's super easy to change it to English. Setting the language is the very 1st thing the setup wizard asks you to do when you boot it up, so you can't miss it. This model is somewhat rare though, your best bet to find it is eBay. I bought mine from a Korean seller, so I had to wait 2 weeks for shipping to the US. But it arrived new in factory sealed Samsung box, exactly as described, so I'm happy. All the stock components were included (pen, charger, cable, paper manual).

Last edited:
The process for rooting them is exactly the same. But the Tab S7+ has a higher quality screen, that makes it the better bet. Things will look alot better, at the cost of slightly worse battery life. The Tab S7+ also has working TWRP builds, whereas the Tab S7 never has. People have tried to develop a custom recovery for it but encountered serious issues. TWRP may not matter to some, but it does to me. With it I can easily do useful things like installing custom GSI ROMs and backing up/restoring the data partition.

If you're willing to pay a little extra, go for the Korean version of Tab S7+, its' model is SM-T976N. I used to have an SM-T970, but sold it to a friend and bought that instead. It supports 4g and 5g, I'm using it with T-Mobile right now. It also has something that none of the other Tab S7+ models have...12GB of RAM, whereas the others have either 6 or 8GB at most. It also comes with 512GB of storage. Unfortunately the firmware's native language is Korean, but it's super easy to change it to English. Setting the language is the very 1st thing the setup wizard asks you to do when you boot it up, so you can't miss it. This model is somewhat rare though, your best bet to find it is eBay. I bought mine from a Korean seller, so I had to wait 2 weeks for shipping to the US. But it arrived new in factory sealed Samsung box, exactly as described, so I'm happy. All the stock components were included (pen, charger, cable, paper manual).
Thank you for all of this helpful info, I appreciate it. I don't know if I can source a Korean unit, but I'll look at ebay The main reason I was looking at S7 was the smaller screen, which I prefer, but not enough to put up with rooting issues. I'm on TMobile as well and surrounded by 5G towers.

AnonVendetta

Apr 29, 2016
Thank you for all of this helpful info, I appreciate it. I don't know if I can source a Korean unit, but I'll look at ebay The main reason I was looking at S7 was the smaller screen, which I prefer, but not enough to put up with rooting issues. I'm on TMobile as well and surrounded by 5G towers.
Current results from eBay for the SM-T976N Korean model (filtered to only show new tabs):

I also searched Amazon for this, but couldnt find any. The going price is around 1k, that may be a little high for some, but i think it's worth it. Just beware of the long shipping times to the US (could be anywhere from a week up to a month, on average). There is also the possibility that you may have to pay import duties (tax), although I didnt have to. Just make sure that you only buy from a seller that has very high ratings. You could buy used to save a bit of $, but I personally wouldnt do that. I prefer my electronics to be new.

The charger that came with mine isnt compatible with AC outlets in the US. So be prepared to have your own charging brick if you live here. Or use compatible 3rd party charger like Anker. On the tab end, the connection is just plain old USB C. For charging you can use either a USB C to USB C cord, Or USB C to USB A Male (A Male is the USB input port you see on things like PCs). Which one depends on what charger you will use. I keep both types of cords around, just in case.

Last edited:

Hottexx

Nov 12, 2013
Hi together,
I´m still under Android 11 wit my S7+ SM-T970 and UI-Version 3.1.
I´ve read many howto´s and many about problems waiting for something goes wrong or you chose the wrong howto. Many guides works with lower UI-Version.
And for me it´s absolute not 100% clear what is the last status quo to root my device.
Can someone please help me and can me say what i have to do with my hardware configuration.
Is Thread #84 still useable for me?

Sorry for my noobie question. Im not very firm with english so it´s hard for me to follow all posts.

AnonVendetta

Apr 29, 2016
Hi together,
I´m still under Android 11 wit my S7+ SM-T970 and UI-Version 3.1.
I´ve read many howto´s and many about problems waiting for something goes wrong or you chose the wrong howto. Many guides works with lower UI-Version.
And for me it´s absolute not 100% clear what is the last status quo to root my device.
Can someone please help me and can me say what i have to do with my hardware configuration.
Is Thread #84 still useable for me?

Sorry for my noobie question. Im not very firm with english so it´s hard for me to follow all posts.
The process for rootiing 11 is exactly the same as for 13. But I do suggest that you upgrade to 13 first.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Download the firmware, and extract "boot.img.lz4" from AP.
    Use 7-zip or something else to compress the boot file and choose TAR format.
    Use Magisk to patch the "boot.img.tar", and you will get "magisk_patched.tar" in /Download folder.
    Flash it as AP and wipe user data. (You should unlock the bootloader.)
    Then you have successfully rooted your device.

How to download the firmware.
    Use Samfirm to search device model and CSC code.
    It seems that Sammobile has not released the firmware of the new Galaxy Tab S7 series.
    The various mileage from people rooting in this forum offers super conflicting information, especially conflicting with the OP.

Can somebody who knows what they're doing, please make an actual guide that is longer than 5 short lines of general info, with links to files and explaining why he picked what thing to do / downmload, and then also please explain:
    - what do you loose by rooting? knox? netflix widevine L1? dex? pen? bootloader unlocked (how)? anything else asked on here and here?
    - how do you update after rooting? (without re-flashing everything every time)

There's another quick guide in this thread, but no replies and no explanation for why he did what, so again not an actual guide that inspires confidence.
    Knox is 100% tripped. Samsung Pass cannot use. Netflix widevine, Dex and Spen are not affected.

Unlock Bootloader: turn on "OEM unlocking" in "Developer options"
    connect to the PC, reboot the tablet and hold both volume up and down. Then hold volume up to unlock it. (The method may be different now)

Download the firmware from Frija and unzip it.
    Unzip the AP file, you will get "boot.img.lz4" and tar this file, get a tar file.
    Copy it to your phone and use magisk to patch it, get "magisk_patched.tar" in "/Download". Copy it to the PC.
    Whether your phone is rooted or not is not important.

Boot into Download Mode, and use Odin flash AP, BL, CSC, (CP). Then use AP slot flash "magisk_patched.tar".
    Install magisk manager on your tablet.
    Done.

When updating your tablet, you should reflash it, including the new patched file, but use the "HOME_CSC" file instead of "CSC" file.
    Data will not be lost.

Why patch the boot file?
    When patching it, magisk is written into it. When you boot your tablet, magisk will run. Another way is to patch the recovery file. When boot into recovery, magisk will run.

When updating, why flash "HOME_CSC"?
    Flash "HOME_CSC" you will keep all your data, if you flash "CSC", you will lose all your data. It is the easiest way to update it.

Any way to fix the Knox?
    No.

Frija: https://xdaforums.com/t/tool-frija-samsung-firmware-downloader-checker.3910594/
    Odin: https://odindownloader.com
    Magisk: https://magiskmanager.com
    I know this is a question that might be better suited for its own thread but I kinda think its a quick answer for you guys.

What do you gain from root on this specific device? I haven't had to root a device in a few years since Android has gotten pretty dammed good for my use case, but what's there to be had from rooting a tablet?

I'm looking forward to my Tab S7+ but if I can make it better with root then I'd love to do it.

I have rooted my Tab S7+ what i gained is the ability to add a system wide ad block with adguard doh + firewall with the ability to use a vpn at the same time.

Also bouncer now works seamlessly with a rooted device. I also use warden which blocks in app trackers and loggers from system apps and debloat easily from the device without using adb.

I am able to use tasker to seamlessly adjust apps that are not optimized for tablets in landscape mode so that they work properly on my device.

All of that is only possible with a rooted device and im discovering new tweaks every single day.
    1) The firmware I've downloaded doesn't have a 'CP' to flash (I think that's just the modem?).
    2) Do I need that?
    3) It has AP, BL, CSC and HOME_CSC only. Is it because I have the wifi-only version?
    1) Correct
    2) No
    3) Yes
    @Markeee: I figured out how to relock, after several hours of digging and trying different things. I'm posting a short tutorial in the Tab S7(+) bootloader unlock thread for anyone who is interested.

Bootloader relock instructions