• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How to root HTC Desire 606w (600) from China?

Search This thread

Dunrob

Jul 6, 2013
Hello everybody,

It looks like the HTC Desire 600 in China called HTC Desire 606w isn't very populair on xda. I bought mine in China and so i have the 606w. What i did not know before i bought the fone was that it has nog google play market. I tried everything:

Unlocked bootloader via HTC website
Installed various Google play .apk's
Installed framework and other services required for the playstore.
I got it finally working, but it keeps saying error no connection. So look looked this error up and it looks like you need to clear your host file, which is a systemfile and you need rootpermission to change is.

So i tried to root my Desire 606wwith superoneclick and all other programs which can be found on the internet, but all with no luck.

Can somebody please help me. All i want is the Google play store and to be able to download and install some apps instead of the Chinese crap.

I'm willing to pay for the one with the golden tip or the one who can give me root acces!

fshek

Jan 23, 2006
If you just wanna install google services, no root is needed.

Uninstall all the google apk previously installed
Go to HTC market (HTC商城), find GMS Installer (GMS 安裝器)...
Run the GMS installer, follow the step and the entire google services will be installed.

Hello everybody,

It looks like the HTC Desire 600 in China called HTC Desire 606w isn't very populair on xda. I bought mine in China and so i have the 606w. What i did not know before i bought the fone was that it has nog google play market. I tried everything:

Unlocked bootloader via HTC website
Installed various Google play .apk's
Installed framework and other services required for the playstore.
I got it finally working, but it keeps saying error no connection. So look looked this error up and it looks like you need to clear your host file, which is a systemfile and you need rootpermission to change is.

So i tried to root my Desire 606wwith superoneclick and all other programs which can be found on the internet, but all with no luck.

Can somebody please help me. All i want is the Google play store and to be able to download and install some apps instead of the Chinese crap.

I'm willing to pay for the one with the golden tip or the one who can give me root acces!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3v3n and TTLucian
If you just wanna install google services, no root is needed.

Uninstall all the google apk previously installed
Go to HTC market (HTC商城), find GMS Installer (GMS 安裝器)...
Run the GMS installer, follow the step and the entire google services will be installed.

Thanks for the tip. I got google apps installed and working with a little tweaking (because I get an error when trying to mount the internal storage in recovery and I had to copy the zip onto an external SD). However, I really want to root this phone. Do you have any idea how to get it done? Superoneclick doesn't work. I've searched the net but all pages are in chinese but I don't speak chinese and google translate doesn't help at all.
Thanks!

Nevermind! I just rooted! Just flashed SuperSU zip from here: http://download.chainfire.eu/333/SuperSU/ and voila! The phone is rooted.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3v3n
Excuse me stupid question but how did you flash this update? I have this phone too and I too would like to root it.

Don't worry, It's not a stupid question. Mine came with bootloader unlocked and with custom recovery installed so flashing SU was not an issue.
However if your phone is bootloader locked and doesn't have custom recovery, you'll have to unlock it via HTCdev website (you have to create an account and you'll find detailed instructions there). Next, you'll have to install custom recovery. I found one on a Russian forum (using google translate) You can download the archive from here recovery_PhilZ_by_SPaWn.img. Instructions are (translated with google from russian site):

1. Download the fully working CWM Recovery 6.0.3.1 touch version - recovery.img (Also place aromafm.zip in clockworkmod folder on sd card it you want Aroma recovery filemanager).
2. Turn off the phone and remove the battery.
3. Insert the battery and then hold the volume button "-" + Power button on and wait until you see the menu.
4. In the menu that appears, select the volume keys and confirm the selection by pressing the switch, FASBOOT.
5. Connect the cable to your computer and install the driver, download the HTC Sync , when you install the latest drivers are put.
6. Download the ADB from here and extract it to a folder d :/ android
7. We go to the command prompt "cmd" (in Administrator mode) and in the window that appears enter the following order:
Code:
d:
cd d :/ android
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
8. We wait until sew (almost instantly) should all be error free.
9. Select the volume keys point POWER DOWN and confirm the selection by pressing the power.
10. We take out the battery and insert ee in place.
11. Hold the volume button "-" + Power button on and wait until you see the menu.
12. Select the item and confirm selection RECOVERY power button.
13. That's all for this CWM Recovery installation has completed, click thanks

After this, you just flash SU with no problems. If you want busybox, then flash this. It contains SU and latest BusyBox.

HOWEVER. The phone still needs SuperCID and S-OFF to be fully NAND unlocked. Until we do this, the ROM can only be permanently modified via recovery. Any modifications done in Android system are lost upon reboot. I've found nothing on how to do this with this phone. If anyone has a solution on how to achieve SuperCID and S-OFF on this phone, please share with us! :D

Also, I received 2 OTA updates and I can't install them because of an error regarding the following 2 files:
/system/framework/com.google.widevine.software.drm.jar
/system/framework/com.google.widevine.software.drm.odex.
My guess it that they were modified by the retailer and OTA checks this. If anyone has these from the original (chinese) firmware, could you please share them?! I would really appreciate it!

Last edited:

hmskrecik

Dec 28, 2010
Thanks for fast reply. Mine phone came with bootloader unlocked (fastboot) but when I try to boot into recovery I end up with the triangle on the screen and some Chinese characters. So in a nutshell my question boiled down to "where do I get proper recovery image from". ;)

Thanks again and I'll check how it works for me tomorrow. And also I'll try to extract those files for you so stay tuned.

Edit: I'm still yet to try this recovery flashing but here please find attached those missing files.

Edit2: Yes, it's finally rooted. Though the recovery couldn't mount the internal storage and I don't yet have and SD card inside. Fortunately the sideload function worked.

Regarding S-OFF, I've read somewhere that 606w is called HTC One's little brother. If this relationship is on low enough level, then maybe tools used to unlock the latter could be used with the former?

Attachments

• drm.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 4,051
Last edited:
Reactions: TTLucian

fshek

Jan 23, 2006
Another stupid question. I got a 606w in China 3 weeks ago. I like the phone very much but does not like all the China Unicom pre-installed apps.
I know that there is Hong Kong version Desire 606 out 2 weeks ago which I believe not much rubbish apps on it. Anyone knows how to flash Desire 600 Hong Kong ROM onto a 606w?

hmskrecik

Dec 28, 2010
Another stupid question. I got a 606w in China 3 weeks ago. I like the phone very much but does not like all the China Unicom pre-installed apps.
I know that there is Hong Kong version Desire 606 out 2 weeks ago which I believe not much rubbish apps on it. Anyone knows how to flash Desire 600 Hong Kong ROM onto a 606w?
I got my phone from Hong Kong, I believe, and it does have China Unicom crapware on board. But like yours it has been shipped about 3 weeks ago. If there is 'cleaner' ROM I would be interested too.

SPSPaWn

Feb 20, 2013
Doneck
I do thank you, SPSPaWn. Without your CWM image I wouldn't be able to root my phone.
Speaking of, I note you published stuff for HTC Desire 600, mine phone is 606w. CWM worked *BUT* it couldn't mount neither internal storage nor external SD card. Since sideload works it was not a problem but I think those two phones may be slightly incompatible. I would be cautions when trying to load whole images.
try this https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6WBFlAKqe30TE56bE5jdElWOUk/edit

hmskrecik

Dec 28, 2010
This is what I get:

Code:
[email protected]:/ $ cat /proc/emmc                                               
dev:        size     erasesize name
mmcblk0p17: 000ffa00 00000200 "misc"
mmcblk0p33: 00fffe00 00000200 "recovery"
mmcblk0p32: 00fffc00 00000200 "boot"
mmcblk0p38: 77fffc00 00000200 "system"
mmcblk0p34: 00140200 00000200 "local"
mmcblk0p37: 0dec0000 00000200 "cache"
mmcblk0p39: 138000000 00000200 "userdata"
mmcblk0p35: 01fef800 00000200 "devlog"
mmcblk0p36: 00010000 00000200 "extra"
mmcblk0p18: 00100000 00000200 "sp_radio_info1"
mmcblk0p19: 00100000 00000200 "sp_radio_info2"
mmcblk0p31: 00100000 00000200 "sp_radio_info3"
mmcblk0p20: 01000000 00000200 "sp_rfs"
mmcblk0p27: 01000000 00000200 "sp_radio"
mmcblk0p28: 00100000 00000200 "sp_radio_info0"

SPSPaWn

Feb 20, 2013
Doneck
It's Desire 600
sh-4.2$ cat /proc/emmc
dev: size erasesize name
mmcblk0p17: 000ffa00 00000200 "misc"
mmcblk0p33: 00fffe00 00000200 "recovery"
mmcblk0p32: 00fffc00 00000200 "boot"
mmcblk0p38: 77fffc00 00000200 "system"
mmcblk0p34: 00140200 00000200 "local"
mmcblk0p37: 0dec0000 00000200 "cache"
mmcblk0p39: 138000000 00000200 "userdata"
mmcblk0p35: 01fef800 00000200 "devlog"
mmcblk0p36: 00010000 00000200 "extra"
mmcblk0p18: 00100000 00000200 "sp_radio_info1"
mmcblk0p19: 00100000 00000200 "sp_radio_info2"
mmcblk0p31: 00100000 00000200 "sp_radio_info3"
mmcblk0p20: 01000000 00000200 "sp_rfs"
mmcblk0p27: 01000000 00000200 "sp_radio"
mmcblk0p28: 00100000 00000200 "sp_radio_info0"
sh-4.2$ cat

Reactions: TTLucian

hmskrecik

Dec 28, 2010
Well... Then I am totally at loss, why the recovery (both classic and touch version) can't mount those storages. :-/

fshami

Oct 14, 2010
Dubai
@TTLucian: i got Desire 600 (cp3dug) from Russia ;). Will this recovery work on it or its only for the Chinese version?

Last edited:
Sorry. I've been on vacation for a week.

@SPSPaWn Firstly, BIG thanks for your work man. As I said, I've found the info on the russian forum and I speak no russian whatsoever. Google translate was of some use.

@fshami Second, I'm guessing the recovery should work on all Desire 600 (and all variations, Russia, China etc...) as the hardware is the same. The recovery by SPSPaWn was made for russian version and it worked on china, so I'm guessing it would definitely work on russian phone.

Third, I couldn't get internal storage to mount in recovery either. So the only way to flash stuff is through sideload (if it works; I haven't tried it) or by using an external SD card.

And finally, sadly I don't have the phone anymore (it was a gift for someone) and I don't know when I'll be able to get my hands on it again.
However, I would be intrested in SuperCID and S-OFF for this phone. Sooo if anyone can help!?!?! :D

Last edited:

fshami

Oct 14, 2010
Dubai
Sorry. I've been on vacation for a week.

@SPSPaWn Firstly, BIG thanks for your work man. As I said, I've found the info on the russian forum and I speak no russian whatsoever. Google translate was of some use.

@fshami Second, I'm guessing the recovery should work on all Desire 600 (and all variations, Russia, China etc...) as the hardware is the same. The recovery by SPSPaWn was made for russian version and it worked on china, so I'm guessing it would definitely work on russian phone.

Third, I couldn't get internal storage to mount in recovery either. So the only way to flash stuff is through sideload (if it works; I haven't tried it) or by using an external SD card.

And finally, sadly I don't have the phone anymore (it was a gift for someone) and I don't know when I'll be able to get my hands on it again.
However, I would be intrested in SuperCID and S-OFF for this phone. Sooo if anyone can help!?!?! :D

Thanks mate, gotta start some mods & romz for this baby now :D

Sent from my HTC Desire 600 dual sim using xda premium

Dark-Wolf25

Jul 21, 2013
Ho Chi Minh
help

Can you tell my how to disable system protection on my htc desire 606w pls!!!!:eek: I don't know how to do this. Pls help me! Tks:eek:

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guys, our friends from 4PDA found a method to S-OFF our phone.
    I tried and everything is ok now.
    Congratulations for 4PDA and Rumrunner guys!!!

Preparation:
    - unlocked bootloader;
    - SU installed.
    These 2 are must have condition to S-OFF!

To S-OFF:
    1. First of all, you must clean your phone (I tried 3 times with the rom like in my everyday use and didn't work, so I wipe all and after wipe, all things works like a charm.) so:
    - backup your rom and move the backup from your phone to PC or SD card;
    - wipe data/factory reset;
    - wipe cache;
    - wipe dalvik cache;
    - reboot.

2. Go here and download "HTC Desire X (proto/protou) Windows" - rumrunner_proto_0.7.1.zip - 21.4 MB

3. Go here and follow the instructions.

4. All process for Rumrunner to S-OFF your phone lasts 5-10-15 minutes with multiple reboots and If all things works well, at the end you will have an S-OFF phone.

5. After you S-OFF your phone, reboot normaly. Let the phone boot and wait 1-2 minutes. Off your phone and boot in recovery.

6. With ADB launch this command:
    fastboot oem writecid 11111111

Now you have an S-OFF phone with supercid! :good:
    Th only disadvantage (which is also annoying) is that upon bootup (when you off the phone, on the phone and/or reboot) your device vibrates 7 times.
    But this is as I said, a minor drawback compared to the gain of having a phone S-OFF.

If you want to go back to S-ON:

1. Download the above Hboot bootloader (firmware.zip);

2. Put the downloaded zip file into the folder where you have installed ADB on your PC (ex: mine is at c:/android/);

3. Launch these commands:
    fastboot oem rebootRUU
    fastboot flash zip firmware.zip

4. After you flash the Hboot, enter the following commands:
    fastboot oem writesecureflag 3
    fastboot reboot

The result is that you now have an S-ON phone again.

Enjoy and ... good luck my friends! ;)

Again, I am not responsible for anything other than piecing together this informations and posting them here.
    All thanks and credits go to our friends on 4PDA and those from Rumrunner!

Refferences:
    - PDA
    - Rumrunner
    How to update the device without the ОTA update for ONLY HTC Desire 606W
    firmware.zip take in archive OTA_CP3_DUG_JB_50_HTCCN_CHS_CU_1.15.1402.8-1.15.1402.7_release_3282487y3nr0up7og0xdfq.zip
    1. Reboot into bootloader -> FASTBOOT.
    2. Take boot.img&recovery.img in firmware.zip
    3. Flash boot.img&recovery.img - fastboot flash boot boot.img and fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    4. Lock the bootloader: fastboot oem lock
    5. Reboot into bootloader -> FASTBOOT.
    6. At the command prompt: fastboot oem rebootRUU Wait until the phone reboots and a gray htc legend on a black background.
    7. At the command prompt: fastboot flash zip firmware.zip We are waiting for the completion and operation! Be sure to follow the same command again! .
    8. After it, run the following: fastboot reboot-bootloader
    An important update is installed
    Then again unlock the bootloader on http://htcdev.com
    Flash CWMRecovery and last custom rom.................

p.s.do not forget about thank you
    How to update the device without the ОTA update for ONLY HTC Desire 606W
    firmware.zip take in archive OTA_CP3_DUG_JB_50_HTCCN_CHS_CU_1.15.1402.8-1.15.1402.7_release_3282487y3nr0up7og0xdfq.zip
    1. Reboot into bootloader -> FASTBOOT.
    2. Take boot.img&recovery.img in firmware.zip
    3. Flash boot.img&recovery.img - fastboot flash boot boot.img and fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    4. Lock the bootloader: fastboot oem lock
    5. Reboot into bootloader -> FASTBOOT.
    6. At the command prompt: fastboot oem rebootRUU Wait until the phone reboots and a gray htc legend on a black background.
    7. At the command prompt: fastboot flash zip firmware.zip We are waiting for the completion and operation! Be sure to follow the same command again! .
    8. After it, run the following: fastboot reboot-bootloader
    An important update is installed
    Then again unlock the bootloader on http://htcdev.com
    Flash CWMRecovery and last custom rom.................

p.s.do not forget about thank you

for desire 600
    OTA_CP3_DUG_JB_50_hTC_Asia_WWE_1.21.707.4-1.17.707.3_release_333498fs8mmndjpdz4hsqq.zip
    https://app.box.com/s/8d2xl95kb5x20d6sdmru
    Excuse me stupid question but how did you flash this update? I have this phone too and I too would like to root it.

Don't worry, It's not a stupid question. Mine came with bootloader unlocked and with custom recovery installed so flashing SU was not an issue.
    However if your phone is bootloader locked and doesn't have custom recovery, you'll have to unlock it via HTCdev website (you have to create an account and you'll find detailed instructions there). Next, you'll have to install custom recovery. I found one on a Russian forum (using google translate) You can download the archive from here recovery_PhilZ_by_SPaWn.img. Instructions are (translated with google from russian site):

1. Download the fully working CWM Recovery 6.0.3.1 touch version - recovery.img (Also place aromafm.zip in clockworkmod folder on sd card it you want Aroma recovery filemanager).
    2. Turn off the phone and remove the battery.
    3. Insert the battery and then hold the volume button "-" + Power button on and wait until you see the menu.
    4. In the menu that appears, select the volume keys and confirm the selection by pressing the switch, FASBOOT.
    5. Connect the cable to your computer and install the driver, download the HTC Sync , when you install the latest drivers are put.
    6. Download the ADB from here and extract it to a folder d :/ android
    7. We go to the command prompt "cmd" (in Administrator mode) and in the window that appears enter the following order:
    Code:
    d:
    cd d :/ android
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    8. We wait until sew (almost instantly) should all be error free.
    9. Select the volume keys point POWER DOWN and confirm the selection by pressing the power.
    10. We take out the battery and insert ee in place.
    11. Hold the volume button "-" + Power button on and wait until you see the menu.
    12. Select the item and confirm selection RECOVERY power button.
    13. That's all for this CWM Recovery installation has completed, click thanks

After this, you just flash SU with no problems. If you want busybox, then flash this. It contains SU and latest BusyBox.

HOWEVER. The phone still needs SuperCID and S-OFF to be fully NAND unlocked. Until we do this, the ROM can only be permanently modified via recovery. Any modifications done in Android system are lost upon reboot. I've found nothing on how to do this with this phone. If anyone has a solution on how to achieve SuperCID and S-OFF on this phone, please share with us! :D

Also, I received 2 OTA updates and I can't install them because of an error regarding the following 2 files:
    /system/framework/com.google.widevine.software.drm.jar
    /system/framework/com.google.widevine.software.drm.odex.
    My guess it that they were modified by the retailer and OTA checks this. If anyone has these from the original (chinese) firmware, could you please share them?! I would really appreciate it!
    I do thank you, SPSPaWn. Without your CWM image I wouldn't be able to root my phone.
    Speaking of, I note you published stuff for HTC Desire 600, mine phone is 606w. CWM worked *BUT* it couldn't mount neither internal storage nor external SD card. Since sideload works it was not a problem but I think those two phones may be slightly incompatible. I would be cautions when trying to load whole images.
    try this https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6WBFlAKqe30TE56bE5jdElWOUk/edit