How to root HTC Glacier (My Touch 4G) step by step ?

Search This thread

chitopr

Jan 21, 2011
Can somebody tell me how to root a my touch 4g ? I'm kinda new at this and want to learn.

Bupahs

Apr 20, 2008
East Petersburg
Can somebody tell me how to root a my touch 4g ? I'm kinda new at this and want to learn.

Google VISIONary (r14) place it on your device, install it then run it. Temproot is for temporary rooting your device, its gone after a reboot, permaroot is for good, unless you use the unroot option.

Its safe, fast and easy. I use temproot option so I can use some root only apps. This is the first device I have felt no need to add a custom rom to or anything so VISIONary was the choice for me. If you want the long harder way directions can be provided. I do recommand you learn the long hard way at some point, its good to know your way around just in case.

neidlinger

Aug 30, 2010
Cincinnati

first of all rooting is not for everyone. I can name a few people in a few forums that do not run a rooted phone for one reason or another. Rooting your phone gives you possibilities that are not even considered when you are in a stock form. But on the other hand you can seriously damage your phone, with the possibility of it ending up a 500.00 paper weight.

The safest and easiest thing to do is download VISIONary.apk and just use temp root. That will give you the ability to do everything you need to do in a root status w/o risking FUBARing anything. You can wi-fi tether, run Titanium Backup and stuff like that.

If you are wanting to go full blown and root it w/ s=off and do the

you can do it the real way and follow Cyanogen's method

Or you can do via the TheUnlockr for a simpler way.

Last edited:

neurofuzz

Jan 17, 2011
If I temp-root it, would I have to temp-root it every time I want to run the wifi-tether program? Or just on installation?

Nickoro

Feb 13, 2011
I have been trying to get visionary r14 but i have no idea where to get it. I google visionary r14 and use the first link like many people have said but whenever i click download it says firefox can't find the page. Does anyone know of some other way to get visionary ?

TrueBlue_Drew

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 10, 2010
Salt Lake City, Utah
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S7
I have been trying to get visionary r14 but i have no idea where to get it. I google visionary r14 and use the first link like many people have said but whenever i click download it says firefox can't find the page. Does anyone know of some other way to get visionary ?
There is a link in the post 4 above this one.

Reactions: kingread

neidlinger

Aug 30, 2010
Cincinnati

mindwarp1571

Mar 6, 2011
Juana Diaz
Hi guys, I just follwed the method by the unlocker... but at the end when I go to better terminal I'm not getting the # sign... So I recon that it didn't work, right? What might the problem be?

mindwarp1571

Mar 6, 2011
Juana Diaz
I think I screwed something. I just noticed that my CW version is 3.0.2.4 and everybody I see is talking about 3.0.0.5. Is this something bad? I'm having trouble flahing gapps and I got another strange problem, If I put a ringtone and reboot the phone it reverts to the original one, and if I copy something to the SD card it gets deleted. Strange? Please can anyone tell me if I screwed this and how can I resolve?

neidlinger

Aug 30, 2010
Cincinnati
I think I screwed something. I just noticed that my CW version is 3.0.2.4 and everybody I see is talking about 3.0.0.5. Is this something bad? I'm having trouble flahing gapps and I got another strange problem, If I put a ringtone and reboot the phone it reverts to the original one, and if I copy something to the SD card it gets deleted. Strange? Please can anyone tell me if I screwed this and how can I resolve?

3.0.0.5 is the older one. 3.0.2.4 is the newer one.

What error are you getting when you flashed the g/apps?

how the eff is stuff getting deleted from the SDcard. the recovery image doesn't natively delete anything from the SDcard.

mindwarp1571

Mar 6, 2011
Juana Diaz
3.0.0.5 is the older one. 3.0.2.4 is the newer one.

What error are you getting when you flashed the g/apps?

how the eff is stuff getting deleted from the SDcard. the recovery image doesn't natively delete anything from the SDcard.

I don't really know, this is a new 32 gig class 6 sandisk memory, the original 8gigs is out ot the phone. I left last night transfering from my pc 20 gigs of music and today after i disconnected it from the pc it was gone.

I'm testing the ringtones to determine what the heck is going on, more on that later....

Gapps... starts to install and...

finding update package...
opening update package...
e:cant open /sdcard/gapps-gb-20110307-signed.zip
(bad)
Installation aborted

This is the 4th time I download this... Maybe permissions?

neidlinger

Aug 30, 2010
Cincinnati
Gapps... starts to install and...

finding update package...
opening update package...
e:cant open /sdcard/gapps-gb-20110307-signed.zip
(bad)
Installation aborted

This is the 4th time I download this... Maybe permissions?

Their has to be something wrong with (a) the recovery image or (b) the g/apps.

Are you sure you are downloading the correct g/apps for our phone running CM7. They have their own g/apps....If you are 100% sure it's for our phone then i'd suggest .....

... is attempting to manually flash the recovery image to make sure you do not get a blip in the system. Personally, i do not trust flashing recovery images with Clockwork ROM manager. I've seen a-lot of errors come out of it. This might be one of them.

mindwarp1571

Mar 6, 2011
Juana Diaz
Gonna test the 8gigs..

Put the 8 gigs, and it installed... Hmmm...

NOw, after it finishes the setup of the apps I will format the 32 and test it...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

first of all rooting is not for everyone. I can name a few people in a few forums that do not run a rooted phone for one reason or another. Rooting your phone gives you possibilities that are not even considered when you are in a stock form. But on the other hand you can seriously damage your phone, with the possibility of it ending up a 500.00 paper weight.

The safest and easiest thing to do is download VISIONary.apk and just use temp root. That will give you the ability to do everything you need to do in a root status w/o risking FUBARing anything. You can wi-fi tether, run Titanium Backup and stuff like that.

There is a link in the post 4 above this one.
    Well... I got it, downloaded it, and when I ran Visionairy it crashed on my Glacier. :(
    It wouldn't root it. :(

I just want to get rid of "Cyberon Commander Settings" ... it doesn't kill with Advanced Task ... :(

I know this is a personal preference using task killers. But everyone with some credibility has always denounced the use of these stating they cause prgrams to FC and error messages. The system is known to do a very good job with clearing out its own memory to sustain operation. If you want a program to stop running, it can be uninstalled or frozen

/steps down from soapbox
    downgrade

You have to downgrade to foyo 2.x.x first will not work on GB 2.3.4