[How-To] Root I337_NJ4 - 4.4.4 (11/13/2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
1. Take the NJ4 OTA update.
2. Download and install Towelroot-v3.apk(this version does not require internet access).
3. Place your phone into "Download Mode" (press and hold the "Home", "Volume Down", and "Power" keys until the phone powers on and displays warning screen, then press "Volume Up" key) and flash the I337_NC1_Stock_Kernel using Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).
4. Open the Towelroot app from your app drawer and press "Make it Rain" to root your device.
5. Power off then boot into "Download Mode" again and flash the I337_NJ4_Stock_Kernel also in Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).
6. Install SuperSU to manage root access. Done!

Troubleshooting:
1. Should the NJ4 ota update fail consider flashing back to stock NB1 using either file in this thread: I337UCUFNB1 4.4 Stock Odin Tars, then take the NJ4 ota update. Or, place the I337_NB1_to_NJ4_OTA_Update.zip onto your ext-sdcard and sideload from stock recovery. Once updated to NJ4 continue from Step 2 above.
2. When flashing the kernels the most common cause of an Odin flash failure is a faulty usb port or cable. Please check before reporting a failure!

Notes:
1. After flashing the NC1 kernel your phone may run a little wonky, e.g. extreme lag, no wifi, etc., and towelroot may not root on the first try. If that happens reboot and try towelroot once again. Once rooted and after flashing the NJ4 kernel your phone will again run like a champ!
2. Neither User Data nor knox warranty flag will be affected by following the above process.
3. For a great Noob FAQ see this Post thanks to @gonenorsk!

Alternative Safestrap Method (Updated 3/29/2015 - Odin no longer required):
1. Place the I337UCUFNJ4_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM onto your ext-sdcard.
2. From Safestrap recovery press "Backup" and backup your User Data.
3. Once complete, from the main menu press "Wipe" then "Advanced Wipe" and wipe everything but your ext-sdcard.
4. From the main menu press "Install," then select and install the I337UCUFNJ4_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM.
5. Once complete, press "Restore" and restore your User Data.
6. From the main menu press "Reboot," then "System." Done!

Notes:
1. The above process will not affect your User Data or knox warranty flag.
2. This process will update your Modem, Non-hlos, System, Kernel, Stock Recovery, and Bootloader to NJ4 (BusyBox is also pre-installed).
3. The User Data "Backup" and "Restore" steps in the above instructions are not mandatory but will greatly reduce your device's set-up time. All currently installed non-system apps and settings will be automatically restored.

Credits:
@benwaffle for his flashboot script(built into the ROM) allowing the flashing of kernels via Safestrap.

Last edited:

jack_ssl

Nov 10, 2013
Vellore
Please Help Me

Respected Sir,

Please Upload I337UCUFNJ4 OTA File . I Want To Update . Please Upload File For Upload. Please Anyone Upload OTA Update The File Sir.. From NI1 To NJ4.. OTA File

joseph230

Aug 15, 2010
Reverting back ?!

Hello,

Thanks for the good job.

I was wondering, is there possibility of going back to NI1(or NB1) from NJ4? (with odining full rom)

Thanks,

Reactions: muniz_ri

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
Wanted to say a quick thx to those that recently donated. Unfortunately paypal does not provide your user name in the notification so i cant pm my thx but you know who you are. Donations are obviously not required but just wanted to say thank you.

Reactions: malanets1990

malanets1990

Aug 13, 2014
Modules

First of all thank you very much for your hard work. The alternative method worked perfectly. Does anyone have the NJ4 modules yet? WiFi not working on mine. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: muniz_ri

malanets1990

Aug 13, 2014
I would be interested in hearing from others if they are having any wifi issues. Its possible the rom had trouble updating non-hlos. IDK
Hey guys just wanted to clarify my situation. When flashing the stock rom, wifi works with no issues. However when I installed a custom rom the wifi is not working. Thats why I was hoping someone had the modules so I could flash after installing the custom rom. Thanks again!

guut13

Sep 23, 2010
Boston
Modules have been uploaded here... https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=17227

Thanks for your hard work @muniz_ri.

FYI - Your regular root instructions worked fine for rooting and installing safestrap. After Odin'ing back the NJ4 kernel, I saw the "force close" you were talking about when you try and launch the safestrap app, but the safestrap menu is still there on reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone