[How-To] Root I545_NK4 - 4.4.2 (6-8-2015)

Search This thread

shmod

Jun 8, 2015
As many of you Verizon S4 owners are aware, Verizon recently provided a two-part update, to update our phone to Lollipop. The first one simply updates the firmware from NK1 to NK4, and the second part updates it to Lollipop. Many of us, myself included, did NOT want to apply these updates, but mistakenly pressed the button to install the first update, to NK4. [It's pretty easy to avoid the second part since it requires loads of space to be cleared on your device before it can be installed.]

Sadly, when the phone updated from NK1 to NK4, we lost our root. Well, be sad no more! Thanks to my research & testing, I have put together a solution. I have done this on my phone and experienced no issues for the last 2-3 days.

These steps are similar to the steps for rooting NK1 - first flash NC5 through Odin, root using towelroot, and then re-flash NK4. I have seen many posts asking about the NK4 stock kernel, and no one seems to have it, even the sammobile site. Well, I got my hands on the Verizon update.zip for NK4, extracted the boot.img, and then turned it into a tar.md5 file that can be flashed via Odin.

So, here are the steps:

1. Go to this post and get your hands on the Towelroot apk, NC5 stock kernel, and Odin.
2. Download the NK4 stock kernel attached to this post (I had to zip it, to comply with the forum posting rules, so please unzip it)
3. Install Towelroot on your phone.
4. Shut down your phone, then boot your phone into "Download Mode" (press and hold the Home, Volume Down, and Power keys until the phone powers on and displays warning screen, then press Volume Up key) and Flash the I545_NC5_Stock_Kernel using Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).
5. Once your phone reboots, open Towelroot from your app drawer and press "Make it Rain" to root your device. Note that at this point, your phone may be acting funny because of the flash of NC5. Don't worry, it will be fine once we flash back NK4. For now, just get Towelroot to root the phone. If it says it worked, then shut down the phone. [In my case, Towelroot said it worked, but the Root Checker app I had said I did not have root, so don't trust those, if Towelroot says it worked, it worked!]
6. Boot into Download Mode again, and this time flash the I545_NK4_Stock_Kernel in Odin. Once your phone reboots, you should have root!
7. Download SuperSU from the Play Store to manage root access. Done!

If you are unfamiliar with Odin and like a guide with pictures, there is a giude written for the original NC5->NK1 rooting, so you can follow that here, but remember that the second flash should be NK4, not NK1 that it says in that guide.

Ok, this is my first post here, so be gentle. I hope this helps everyone having the same issue as I did. I am so excited to finally be contributing to the xda site, after so many years of using it to root my various Android phones over the years!

Please Note: As mentioned in other threads on this site, you should NOT try to flash NC5 if you have already updated to OC1 (Lollipop).

Attachments

• I545_NK4_Stock_Kernel.zip
    8.4 MB · Views: 906
Last edited:

joebuddy78

Apr 20, 2011
You're my hero!

I'm working on one of these for a customer. The phone in question belongs to his wife, who is cheating on him. I needed root access so I could run Dr. Fone for Android and scan for deleted text messages, but couldn't afford to lose any of the existing data. Your method worked on I'm scanning the phone now. Thanks a million!

SDRebel

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks shmod, it worked for me as well, however it took multiiple tries because it would keep rebooting on itself, quite rapidly, so I had to move quick. Also, i had a previous version of towel root installed and somehow it was showing as installed apps but it was not in the apps menu, so I had to uninstall it and then reinstall to get it to work, it was a bit odd.

Juner18

Jul 8, 2012
Santa cruz
one question when i put my phone into download mode and i connect the usb cable i get no response on the pc. in odin i get no blue light at all and im on nk4 and with usb debugging on. any help would be lovely. please and thank you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As many of you Verizon S4 owners are aware, Verizon recently provided a two-part update, to update our phone to Lollipop. The first one simply updates the firmware from NK1 to NK4, and the second part updates it to Lollipop. Many of us, myself included, did NOT want to apply these updates, but mistakenly pressed the button to install the first update, to NK4. [It's pretty easy to avoid the second part since it requires loads of space to be cleared on your device before it can be installed.]

Sadly, when the phone updated from NK1 to NK4, we lost our root. Well, be sad no more! Thanks to my research & testing, I have put together a solution. I have done this on my phone and experienced no issues for the last 2-3 days.

These steps are similar to the steps for rooting NK1 - first flash NC5 through Odin, root using towelroot, and then re-flash NK4. I have seen many posts asking about the NK4 stock kernel, and no one seems to have it, even the sammobile site. Well, I got my hands on the Verizon update.zip for NK4, extracted the boot.img, and then turned it into a tar.md5 file that can be flashed via Odin.

So, here are the steps:

1. Go to this post and get your hands on the Towelroot apk, NC5 stock kernel, and Odin.
    2. Download the NK4 stock kernel attached to this post (I had to zip it, to comply with the forum posting rules, so please unzip it)
    3. Install Towelroot on your phone.
    4. Shut down your phone, then boot your phone into "Download Mode" (press and hold the Home, Volume Down, and Power keys until the phone powers on and displays warning screen, then press Volume Up key) and Flash the I545_NC5_Stock_Kernel using Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).
    5. Once your phone reboots, open Towelroot from your app drawer and press "Make it Rain" to root your device. Note that at this point, your phone may be acting funny because of the flash of NC5. Don't worry, it will be fine once we flash back NK4. For now, just get Towelroot to root the phone. If it says it worked, then shut down the phone. [In my case, Towelroot said it worked, but the Root Checker app I had said I did not have root, so don't trust those, if Towelroot says it worked, it worked!]
    6. Boot into Download Mode again, and this time flash the I545_NK4_Stock_Kernel in Odin. Once your phone reboots, you should have root!
    7. Download SuperSU from the Play Store to manage root access. Done!

If you are unfamiliar with Odin and like a guide with pictures, there is a giude written for the original NC5->NK1 rooting, so you can follow that here, but remember that the second flash should be NK4, not NK1 that it says in that guide.

Ok, this is my first post here, so be gentle. I hope this helps everyone having the same issue as I did. I am so excited to finally be contributing to the xda site, after so many years of using it to root my various Android phones over the years!

Please Note: As mentioned in other threads on this site, you should NOT try to flash NC5 if you have already updated to OC1 (Lollipop).