[How-To] Root I545VRUFNG6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
1. Take the NG6 OTA update (should the ota update fail see troubleshooting section below).
2. Download and install Towelroot-v3.apk(this version does not require internet access).
3. Place your phone into "Download Mode" (press and hold the Home, Volume Down, and Power keys until the phone powers on and displays warning screen, then press Volume Up key).
4. Flash the I545_NC5_Stock_Kernel.tar.md5 using Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).
5. Root using Towelroot-v3.apk.
6. Power off then boot into "Download Mode" again.
7. Flash the I545_NG6_Stock_Kernel.tar.md5 also in Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).
8. Download SuperSU to manage root access. Done!
Troubleshooting:
Should the NG6 ota update fail consider updating to NG6 by flashing the I545VRUFNG6 4.4.2 Full-Wipe Odin .tar then continuing from Step 2 above.

Notes & Credits:
1. After flashing the NC5 kernel your phone may run a little wonky and towelroot may not root on the first try. If that happens reboot and try towelroot once again. Once rooted and after flashing the NG6 kernel your phone will once again run like a champ!
2. Following the above process will not affect User Data or your Knox Warranty Flag.
3. Due to a known bug in the official NG6 OTA you may experience random re-boots after updating. Please see @Emoraax 's thread for the solution: http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s4/general/fix-reboot-crash-problem-ng6-root-t2921584.
4. The most common cause of an Odin flash failure is a bad usb port or cable. Please check before reporting a failure.
5. Big thanks to @Surge1223 for giving me the idea of the kernel swap way back in the day. You will notice the date of the following post is way before NC5(KitKat) was even released for the I545: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=51053044&postcount=77

KeepRoot Method
Original NG6 KeepRoot Method Post (Just putting this up here if anyone is interested. This method was developed back in the day at the suggestion of a very capable kernel dev).

Alternative Custom ROM Method:
1. Backup your User Data using Safestrap's Backup function.
2. Place the I545VRUFNG6_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip onto your ext-sdcard.
3. Reboot into Safestrap recovery then perform an "Advanced Wipe" and wipe everything but your ext-sdcard.
4. Flash the I545VRUFNG6_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip using "Stock Slot."
5. Once complete press "Home" then reboot into "Download Mode."
6. Flash the I545_NG6_Stock_Kernel.tar.md5 in Odin's PDA slot (AP in Odin v3.09+).
7. Reboot into Safestrap recovery and use the Restore Function to restore User Data. Done!
8. **Optional** Reboot into Safestrap recovery and flash the I545_De-Knox_NG6.zip to remove applicable Knox files which cause the random re-boots(Do Not Wipe Prior to Flashing!)

Notes & Credits:
1. The I545VRUFNG6_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip process will update your Modem, Non-hlos, System, Kernel, and Stock Recovery to NG6 but does not include the NG6 Bootloader.
2. Big Thanks to @rebel1699! and the following guys for developing the above method. You will notice the date of their post is way before NC5(KitKat) was even released for the I545: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=51067706#post51067706

Last edited:

asalkowskineo

Oct 14, 2014
1. Take the NG6 OTA update.
2. **Important**Download and install Towelroot-v3.apk(internet access not required).
3. Place your phone into "Download Mode" (press and hold the Home, Volume Down, and Power keys until the phone powers on and displays warning screen, then press Volume Up key).
4. Flash the I545_NC5_Stock_Kernel.tar.md5 using Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).
7. Flash the I545_NG6_Stock_Kernel.tar.md5 also in Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+). Done!

Notes:
1. After flashing the NC5 kernel your phone may run a little wonky, e.g. extreme lag, no wifi, etc., and towelroot may not root on the first try. If that happens reboot and try towelroot once again. Once rooted and after flashing the NG6 kernel your phone will once again run like a champ!
2. Following the above process will not affect User Data.

Important!: Only use the files contained in this guide and follow all of the above steps in the order provided. Do not skip any steps, or you may encounter issues with your device.
Works! Thanks again, man. :victory:

rbf2000

Jul 2, 2013
For whatever reason my Settings crashes everytime I check for an update. Does anybody have the ota file (or a method for doing this without the ota)?

Zelmo88

Aug 10, 2011
Arizona
Had to fight thru some boot looping after flashing the NC5 kernel, finally got to Towelroot between boots and activated. Flashed the NG6 kernel and all seems to be good! Downloaded and installed SuperSU and installed TB and it works! Time to do a little debloating! Many thanks!!!

TheCrowing

Jan 22, 2011
I am currently rooted on stock NC5. However when I download and try to install the update, it goes through the install and then it just says Error! and when it reboots it says that it failed to install but no indication as to why. Am I missing something? Is there something I should be checking?

Jraider44

Oct 6, 2013
Chapel Hill
I am currently rooted on stock NC5. However when I download and try to install the update, it goes through the install and then it just says Error! and when it reboots it says that it failed to install but no indication as to why. Am I missing something? Is there something I should be checking?

When taking an OTA, everything has to be original. Meaning if you root and uninstall a system app, say Verizon Navigator for example, you have to reinstall that app and anything else you modified for the OTA to work. The quickest, and easiest way to make sure everything is reset is to flash in Odin the no-wipe NC5 file (find everything you need here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2735172 )

Then take the OTA and follow this threads instructions on root.

IMO though, I wouldn't even take this update, its so minor and we are on the verge of Kexec support. We even have a safestrap that allows slots thanks to muniz...

Sir_Eagle

Jul 26, 2010
Akron, Ohio
Use Odin and flash the stock NC5.tar file, then take the OTA.

sahaight

Sep 19, 2011
Virus!

Kaspersky reports this version of Towelroot is infected with an Android Virus. Try going to "towelroot.org" to get the official version.

AlphaTJH

Dec 2, 2013
WELP

7. Flash the I545_NG6_Stock_Kernel.tar.md5 also in Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+). Done!

So, I've followed the directions up to this point. One thing I did notice, you did say it would run wonky, but the version was noted as NG6 still after the NC5 write. TR still allowed me to root though, so I figured it wasn't really an issue. However, now that I've put my phone back in download mode, I'm attempting to write NG6 back onto my phone, and ODIN does the following

<ID:0/004> Added!!
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> There is no PIT partition.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
<ID:0/004> Removed!!

Any ideas what might be going on and how I could fix it?
Thanks

EDIT: I went ahead and reflashed NC5, Rerooted, rebooted, and attempted to Reflash NG6, It gave me the same issue, I rebooted my phone one last time, and attempted the reflash of NG6, This time it worked. Not sure what was holding it up the first time, but if you run into issues, try rebooting one more time.

Last edited:
Reactions: znube63
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1. Take the NG6 OTA update (should the ota update fail see troubleshooting section below).
    2. Download and install Towelroot-v3.apk(this version does not require internet access).
    7. Flash the I545_NG6_Stock_Kernel.tar.md5 also in Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).
    8. Download SuperSU to manage root access. Done!
    Troubleshooting:
    Should the NG6 ota update fail consider updating to NG6 by flashing the I545VRUFNG6 4.4.2 Full-Wipe Odin .tar then continuing from Step 2 above.

Notes & Credits:
    1. After flashing the NC5 kernel your phone may run a little wonky and towelroot may not root on the first try. If that happens reboot and try towelroot once again. Once rooted and after flashing the NG6 kernel your phone will once again run like a champ!
    2. Following the above process will not affect User Data or your Knox Warranty Flag.
    3. Due to a known bug in the official NG6 OTA you may experience random re-boots after updating. Please see @Emoraax 's thread for the solution: http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s4/general/fix-reboot-crash-problem-ng6-root-t2921584.
    4. The most common cause of an Odin flash failure is a bad usb port or cable. Please check before reporting a failure.
    5. Big thanks to @Surge1223 for giving me the idea of the kernel swap way back in the day. You will notice the date of the following post is way before NC5(KitKat) was even released for the I545: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=51053044&postcount=77

KeepRoot Method
    Original NG6 KeepRoot Method Post (Just putting this up here if anyone is interested. This method was developed back in the day at the suggestion of a very capable kernel dev).

Alternative Custom ROM Method:
    1. Backup your User Data using Safestrap's Backup function.
    2. Place the I545VRUFNG6_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip onto your ext-sdcard.
    3. Reboot into Safestrap recovery then perform an "Advanced Wipe" and wipe everything but your ext-sdcard.
    4. Flash the I545VRUFNG6_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip using "Stock Slot."
    5. Once complete press "Home" then reboot into "Download Mode."
    6. Flash the I545_NG6_Stock_Kernel.tar.md5 in Odin's PDA slot (AP in Odin v3.09+).
    7. Reboot into Safestrap recovery and use the Restore Function to restore User Data. Done!
    8. **Optional** Reboot into Safestrap recovery and flash the I545_De-Knox_NG6.zip to remove applicable Knox files which cause the random re-boots(Do Not Wipe Prior to Flashing!)

Notes & Credits:
    1. The I545VRUFNG6_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip process will update your Modem, Non-hlos, System, Kernel, and Stock Recovery to NG6 but does not include the NG6 Bootloader.
    2. Big Thanks to @rebel1699! and the following guys for developing the above method. You will notice the date of their post is way before NC5(KitKat) was even released for the I545: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=51067706#post51067706
    I believe verizon sent out a bad update. I have also heard of regular people not rooted that is doing the same having random reboots. The only way to know is to have regular people to run the update for 2 days without rooting it to see if it reboots. And have them report it on here for the community to know before they root it. Just my 2cents. Im still on the NC5 update rooted.
    1. Take the NG6 OTA update.
    2. **Important**Download and install Towelroot-v3.apk(internet access not required).

Notes:
    1. After flashing the NC5 kernel your phone may run a little wonky, e.g. extreme lag, no wifi, etc., and towelroot may not root on the first try. If that happens reboot and try towelroot once again. Once rooted and after flashing the NG6 kernel your phone will once again run like a champ!
    2. Following the above process will not affect User Data.

Important!: Only use the files contained in this guide and follow all of the above steps in the order provided. Do not skip any steps, or you may encounter issues with your device.
    Works! Thanks again, man. :victory:

When taking an OTA, everything has to be original. Meaning if you root and uninstall a system app, say Verizon Navigator for example, you have to reinstall that app and anything else you modified for the OTA to work. The quickest, and easiest way to make sure everything is reset is to flash in Odin the no-wipe NC5 file (find everything you need here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2735172 )

Then take the OTA and follow this threads instructions on root.

IMO though, I wouldn't even take this update, its so minor and we are on the verge of Kexec support. We even have a safestrap that allows slots thanks to muniz...
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone