[HOW TO] Root / Install CWM Recovery On the Galaxy Tab 2 P31XX running 4.1.1 OTA

ruben00

Jun 19, 2004
NYC, NY
So you just finished following RGNDI's Guide on how to install JellyBean on your Gtab2 P31XX. Looks Nice right. But now you want to root it. That's what I'm here to help you do.

I've tested this Method Over and Over on the P3113 and it works every time with CWM Recovery 6. I'm pretty sure this will also work on the other 31XX variants

What You Need:

# Odin
# Samsung Kies
# CWM Recovery Image: 3113 | 3110 | 3100
# Gtab2 JB Rooter Zip

What To Do:
- Make sure Kies is Closed
- Copy the GTab2 JB Rooter Zip to your Tab
- Disconnect the Tab from your PC
- Restart your Tab in Download Mode (Power Off Tab then Hold Volume - & Power Button)
- Open Odin and UNCHECK "Auto Reboot" only
- Click the PDA button and find the CWM Tar file and select it (DO NOT HIT START YET)
- Plug in your Tab to the PC at which point the first "ID:COM" box should turn yellow and the Message windows should read "Added"
- Now, Hit Start
- When Completed the "ID:COM" Box should turn Green and right above it it should say "Pass"
- **Now the Following 3 Steps are Crucial, so read them carefully**
- Disconnect the Tab from your PC
- Hold down THE POWER BUTTON ONLY so the Tab will Turn Off
- Restart the Tab in Recovery Mode (Hold Volume + & Power Button), this should get you into CWM
(If you see Stock Recovery, you messed up, start again)
- In CWM, Select "Install Zip from SDCard" and find the Gtab2 JB Rooter zip file and install it
- Select "Go Back+++" and then "Reboot Device"
- At this Time, CWM will ask if you want to prevent the OS from Removing CMW, "SELECT YES"
- Thats it. When your Tab Starts up, you will have SuperSU installed, Open it, Update it, whatever you want.

You have just Succesfully Rooted and Installed CWM on your Gtab2

Special Thanks to the CWM Team for the Recovery Images and Thanks to Gecko225 over at Rootzwiki for the CWM Odin tars

RomsWell

Jul 10, 2011
Venice
If you plug it into a charger prior to holding the power button for a hard reboot it will shut off and start to charge. Then you can unplug it wait for screen to go black. Then do your button combo. This will help with those of you fighting the recovery overwrite on boot. Gotta catch it on first try.

thedeamon

Jun 4, 2012
Is this working with OTA Update 2 for JB 4.1.1 ( leaked SAMMobile code )?

I have CWM Recovery 6.0.1.1 installed & it is working across device reboot.

JB rooter zip installs fine as well....but after reboot....when I run SuperSU from the menu....getting error:

"There is no SU binary instaled, and SuperSU cannot install it, This is a problem!"

What could this be?

ruben00

Jun 19, 2004
NYC, NY
Is this working with OTA Update 2 for JB 4.1.1 ( leaked SAMMobile code )?

I have CWM Recovery 6.0.1.1 installed & it is working across device reboot.

JB rooter zip installs fine as well....but after reboot....when I run SuperSU from the menu....getting error:

"There is no SU binary instaled, and SuperSU cannot install it, This is a problem!"

What could this be?
this worked because the normal zips to add root kept failing with the same error pre-OTA2, ill update the zip for OTA2

Reactions: thedeamon

matusai

Mar 26, 2007
Hatillo
I updated the P3113UECLI4, and with odin flash P3113_SAMSUNG_RECOVERY_SUPERSU-0.96_BUSYBOX-1.20.2.tar.md5.zip. Now it doesent boot at all. Black screen, tried power button y volume up and nothing happens or power botton down nothing. I plug it a my pc, the logo of charging almost appear for 2 seconds and the goes off, appear the screen of charging once again for 2 seconds. Nothing its working for me. Any help??!!!

ruben00

Jun 19, 2004
NYC, NY
I updated the P3113UECLI4, and with odin flash P3113_SAMSUNG_RECOVERY_SUPERSU-0.96_BUSYBOX-1.20.2.tar.md5.zip. Now it doesent boot at all. Black screen, tried power button y volume up and nothing happens or power botton down nothing. I plug it a my pc, the logo of charging almost appear for 2 seconds and the goes off, appear the screen of charging once again for 2 seconds. Nothing its working for me. Any help??!!!
I didnt create the recovery, Ketut did so please ask him because he will probably know better
but I'll try to help you anyway....

connect the table, and from the command line type "adb devices" and see if its detected.
if it is, try "adb reboot download", which should put the tablet in download mode
try flashing regular CWM following the instructions in this thread.
come back and report what happens

Reactions: qdtphotog

windwaver

Apr 14, 2011
Running 4.1.1 JB. Installed everything according to instructions. SuperSU appears in applications but gives an error when run. Tab has no root. Can anybody advise what went wrong?

If this doesn't work, I guess I'll have to fall back on 4.0.4 :crying:

rraaka

Sep 8, 2010
why dont you all use ketut's single file method ? so simple. you get yellow triangle which goes away with CF 's TA :cowboy:

shingers5

Recognized Contributor
Sep 5, 2008
liverpool
If you plug it into a charger prior to holding the power button for a hard reboot it will shut off and start to charge. Then you can unplug it wait for screen to go black. Then do your button combo. This will help with those of you fighting the recovery overwrite on boot. Gotta catch it on first try.
fun and games but i caught it 3rd time round :D
all seems well for now and just flashing tsunami v1 now

macbrovin

Oct 29, 2012
I too kept getting the "There is no SU binary installed, and SuperSU cannot install it, This is a problem!" error message, so I had to use Ketut's guide here, which worked like a charm

yamani_25

Feb 20, 2011
Banjarbaru
Running 4.1.1 JB. Installed everything according to instructions. SuperSU appears in applications but gives an error when run. Tab has no root. Can anybody advise what went wrong?

i have 4.1.2 fw form France and rooted with here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1933542
i think, it's gonna work too on 4.1.1 :)

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

i have 4.1.2 fw form France and rooted with here
i think, it's gonna work too on 4.1.1 :)
Edit : here the link http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1957160

mahastat

Dec 10, 2009
Binary missing ?

Your method helped me install CWM on my Tab. Though when started SU, it said binary missing.
Tried single click method. Worked for me on OTA 4.1.1.

sullytrny

Dec 24, 2006
Saranac Lake
This worked for me... 4.1.1 ota, I had to uninstall old superuser app and flash ywice. I was lucky I did the ota rooted and had the sd sdcard scripted. So smooth and the ir does work

GT-P3113 - KFHD 8.9 - XT912

Thepooch

Mar 31, 2012
Worked perfect on the 4.1.1 update, did have to flash rooter zip twice and I fixed permissions for kicks and giggles. :good:

Last edited: