[HOW TO] Root / Install CWM Recovery On the Galaxy Tab 2 P31XX running 4.1.1 OTA

Search This thread

pcdebb

Oct 16, 2010
Temple Terrace, FL
my newly purchased P3113 was pre-installed with 4.1.1, rooted in less than 10 minutes (used the updated rooter zip), thanks! :victory:

Last edited:

3to4

Aug 13, 2009
Lyon
What To Do:
- Make sure Kies is Closed
- Copy the GTab2 JB Rooter Zip to your Tab
- Disconnect the Tab from your PC
- Restart your Tab in Download Mode (Power Off Tab then Hold Volume - & Power Button)
- Open Odin and UNCHECK "Auto Reboot" only
- Click the PDA button and find the CWM Tar file and select it (DO NOT HIT START YET)
- Plug in your Tab to the PC at which point the first "ID:COM" box should turn yellow and the Message windows should read "Added"
- Now, Hit Start
- When Completed the "ID:COM" Box should turn Green and right above it it should say "Pass"
- **Now the Following 3 Steps are Crucial, so read them carefully**
- Hold down THE POWER BUTTON ONLY so the Tab will Turn Off
- Restart the Tab in Recovery Mode (Hold Volume + & Power Button), this should get you into CWM
(If you see Stock Recovery, you messed up, start again)
- In CWM, Select "Install Zip from SDCard" and find the Gtab2 JB Rooter zip file and install it
- Select "Go Back+++" and then "Reboot Device"
- At this Time, CWM will ask if you want to prevent the OS from Removing CMW, "SELECT YES"
- Thats it. When your Tab Starts up, you will have SuperSU installed, Open it, Update it, whatever you want.

You have just Succesfully Rooted and Installed CWM on your Gtab2

Special Thanks to the CWM Team for the Recovery Images and Thanks to Gecko225 over at Rootzwiki for the CWM Odin tars

I bought a GT-P3110 (with 4.1.1 pre-installed) yesterday. So, I followed the instructions.
Mostly, the process went as described, but when rebooting the device, it did not ask me to prevent the OS from removing CMW. Anyway, I went ahead.
When it rebooted, SuperSU was getting an error and did not start. So, I installed Gtab2 JB Rooter.zip for the 2nd time, then, this error was gone, and now everything seems to be working. Thank you very much!!

PS: Now I have a custom recovery, I tried to install a custom rom from the external SD. CWM does not see my external card. I tried to mount the SD card, but there is no way CWM sees the SD card. So, I had to copy the Rom zip to my (internal) SD, to flash it. Is this normal? In the meantime, I updated CWM to 6.0.2.7 sing Rom Manager. But, still CWM cannot see the external SD... Can someone help?

Update: After I formated my external Micro-SD card with my Galaxy Tab 2, I can backup to and restore to my external micro-SD card!!

Last edited:

Cheony81

Feb 13, 2013
I followed this method to root my sgt2 and would like to know whtas the best and easiest way to unroot device..

mayank9856

Feb 18, 2013
I had flashed cwm through odin and acc to tutorial I was following it said that auto reboot is to be checked...
I did it as it was said..

Tab rebooted,
Futher on swithing it of and trying to go to recovery (this was what the tutorial said) , it took me to android recovery...
But checking for OTA says "your device has been modified, no updates available"

Before all this drama I had got a OTA update of 4.1.1

SHOULD I GO AHEAD WITH THIS ????

If its helping you it must be thanked.

Send from my GT-P3100 using xda premium

feralicious

Jun 9, 2011
City of Angels
No 4.1.2 for the Tab 2 7.0 yet, man.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using xda app-developers app
Yes there is. It's been rolling out in the U.S. this past week, mine showed an update on March 8. I haven't accepted my OTA on my brand new unrooted tab 4.1.1 since I was trying to verify that I would still be able to root if I did.

I have the wifi P3113 and someone posted that they got 4.1.2 on the Verizon LTE Tab as well.

Last edited:

marathone

Yes there is. It's been rolling out in the U.S. this past week, mine showed an update on March 8. I haven't accepted my OTA on my brand new unrooted tab 4.1.1 since I was trying to verify that I would still be able to root if I did.

I have the wifi P3113 and someone posted that they got 4.1.2 on the Verizon LTE Tab as well.

Yeah I got 4.1.2 OTA last week. Since then I rooted AOK. Mind you I didn't stay stock long afterwards. :)

BTW I'm running CM10.1 nightly, for the P3110 on the P3113, hence the difference in my sig.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: feralicious

Tsjoklat

Apr 5, 2010
Since the official makers of ClockworkMod have just released a completely free and open sourced version of Superuser on Google Play, here is an updated "rooter zip" for Galaxy Tab 2 using this new version of Superuser by the makers of ClockworkMod and the latest stable version of Busybox optimized for Android (1.20.2r2).

Last edited:

yudicihuy

Apr 13, 2011
can i flash this "rooter.zip" with stock recovery?
the Recovery Mode (Hold Volume + & Power Button)

thx

razorr69

Nov 17, 2007
odin never turns yellow at this step - Plug in your Tab to the PC at which point the first "ID:COM" box should turn yellow and the Message windows should read "Added"

i can see the tab in kies so the pc and tab can communicate any help with this one also not sure if kies needs to be installed on the tab alos or just the pc

thanks in advance

Skazzy3

Jan 9, 2012
odin never turns yellow at this step - Plug in your Tab to the PC at which point the first "ID:COM" box should turn yellow and the Message windows should read "Added"

i can see the tab in kies so the pc and tab can communicate any help with this one also not sure if kies needs to be installed on the tab alos or just the pc

thanks in advance
Acutally, Kies is not even supposed to be running. Kill any of the processes related to Kies and then try again.

razorr69

Nov 17, 2007
I dont get anything in the id com box

It's my fault i was in recovery not in fastboot

Last edited:

nemodark

Jun 15, 2012
will this be able to work to my p3100 ? i updated to 4.1.2 using the software update .. so i updated it automatically by updating using the original method

PhoenixNghi

Feb 2, 2011
Got this error "There is no SU binary instaled, and SuperSU cannot install it"
But after rebooting, it's gone and everything is ok

Anyway, I'm on CM10.1.2 now, muahahah. Goodbye Samsung UI.

Devtodi

Aug 16, 2011
Marin County
rooting problem

I know I am late to the party, but I am now just getting around to rooting my Tab 2. My problem is that when I try to shut off the device after installing cwm via Odin, it keeps rebooting. How can I get the tqab to shut down so I can go directly to recovery mode?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So you just finished following RGNDI's Guide on how to install JellyBean on your Gtab2 P31XX. Looks Nice right. But now you want to root it. That's what I'm here to help you do.

I've tested this Method Over and Over on the P3113 and it works every time with CWM Recovery 6. I'm pretty sure this will also work on the other 31XX variants

What You Need:

# Odin
    # Samsung Kies
    # CWM Recovery Image: 3113 | 3110 | 3100
    # Gtab2 JB Rooter Zip

What To Do:
    - Make sure Kies is Closed
    - Copy the GTab2 JB Rooter Zip to your Tab
    - Restart your Tab in Download Mode (Power Off Tab then Hold Volume - & Power Button)
    - Open Odin and UNCHECK "Auto Reboot" only
    - Click the PDA button and find the CWM Tar file and select it (DO NOT HIT START YET)
    - Plug in your Tab to the PC at which point the first "ID:COM" box should turn yellow and the Message windows should read "Added"
    - Now, Hit Start
    - When Completed the "ID:COM" Box should turn Green and right above it it should say "Pass"
    - **Now the Following 3 Steps are Crucial, so read them carefully**
    - Hold down THE POWER BUTTON ONLY so the Tab will Turn Off
    - Restart the Tab in Recovery Mode (Hold Volume + & Power Button), this should get you into CWM
    (If you see Stock Recovery, you messed up, start again)
    - In CWM, Select "Install Zip from SDCard" and find the Gtab2 JB Rooter zip file and install it
    - Select "Go Back+++" and then "Reboot Device"
    - At this Time, CWM will ask if you want to prevent the OS from Removing CMW, "SELECT YES"
    - Thats it. When your Tab Starts up, you will have SuperSU installed, Open it, Update it, whatever you want.

You have just Succesfully Rooted and Installed CWM on your Gtab2

Special Thanks to the CWM Team for the Recovery Images and Thanks to Gecko225 over at Rootzwiki for the CWM Odin tars
    Side Note:

Ketut made a real nice Odin Flashable CWM that gives you Root, and everything else all in one, so You can follow my instructions above, OR, just flahs his CWM here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1880010
    Yes Kies is for the drivers
    I tried to make this as easy as possible for a newby to follow

When I wrote this up
    I was working with one of the leaks
    Now that official rooms are out
    I'll update the mod
    Since the official makers of ClockworkMod have just released a completely free and open sourced version of Superuser on Google Play, here is an updated "rooter zip" for Galaxy Tab 2 using this new version of Superuser by the makers of ClockworkMod and the latest stable version of Busybox optimized for Android (1.20.2r2).
    If you plug it into a charger prior to holding the power button for a hard reboot it will shut off and start to charge. Then you can unplug it wait for screen to go black. Then do your button combo. This will help with those of you fighting the recovery overwrite on boot. Gotta catch it on first try.