[How To][Root] Kindle Fire 1 update 6.3.3/6.3.4 and Flashing FFF/TWRP [2015]

Search This thread

kaos62587

Feb 20, 2017
@sd_shadow

In cmd This is what I see
C:\adb>fastboot reboot
< waiting for device. >

What do I do...its stuck on the cyanogenmod circle screen. In cmd it also tells me i am missing $adb vender key....how do I get that back....I had twrp working before now I don't get the option to get back into recovery mode. The kindle shows up as a portable device. I don't have access to a fastboot cable. There has to be something

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
@sd_shadow

In cmd This is what I see
C:\adb>fastboot reboot
< waiting for device. >

What do I do...its stuck on the cyanogenmod circle screen. In cmd it also tells me i am missing $adb vender key....how do I get that back....I had twrp working before now I don't get the option to get back into recovery mode. The kindle shows up as a portable device. I don't have access to a fastboot cable. There has to be something
could try the short pin method for flashing recovery and bootloader see
index for links
[INDEX] Kindle Fire Development

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

JoeBobJr

Nov 28, 2008
Can't root device

I've been trying all day long to root this Kindle and neither one of the root options you have given is working for me. I try the chinese one and it keeps telling me debug mode is not enabled and it is enabled. The saferoot option isn't working either. I run the install.bat file and click Y for busybox then it says plugin in phone and press any keys so i do this and it says waiting for your phone to appear and nothing detects my kindle.

Kindle Fire Gen 1
system version: 6.3.4_D01E_4120720
Drivers installed correctly I have Android ADB Interface in my device manager

Everything looks good but nothing is rooting this device.
Using Windows 10 x64

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
I've been trying all day long to root this Kindle and neither one of the root options you have given is working for me. I try the chinese one and it keeps telling me debug mode is not enabled and it is enabled. The saferoot option isn't working either. I run the install.bat file and click Y for busybox then it says plugin in phone and press any keys so i do this and nothing ever happens.

Kindle Fire Gen 1
system version: 6.3.4_D01E_4120720
Drivers installed correctly I have Android ADB Interface in my device manager

Everything looks good but nothing is rooting this device.
Using Windows 10 x64

did you watch my video?

JoeBobJr

Nov 28, 2008
did you watch my video?

Yes it doesnt help I've followed all instructions.

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 PM ----------

I just installed the drivers on my wife's laptop on windows 7 this time. Same drivers same saferoot and still it won't detect my kindle.

---------- Post added at 11:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

Sorry to be a noob but some how I was able to get iRoot to work. I don't use UAC on Windows 10 I always turn that off but it still didn't work till I ran the app as an Administrator on Windows 10 so anyone trying to get this to work on Windows 10 make sure you run iRoot as admin. I've tried running both of the bat files as admin and still nothing out of saferoot.

jamesban

Feb 19, 2013
Got as far as reboot adb and when it reboots it stays at the kindle fire screen and never boots. When I run the fastboot -i 0x1949 devices command I just get waiting for device and never responds. I cannot reboot the kindle fire anymore. It just boots to the kindle fire splash screen and stays there. I have rooted and installed roms on nooks and newer kindles but never a gen1 and I cant get it working. please help.

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

Got as far as reboot adb and when it reboots it stays at the kindle fire screen and never boots. When I run the fastboot -i 0x1949 devices command I just get waiting for device and never responds. I cannot reboot the kindle fire anymore. It just boots to the kindle fire splash screen and stays there. I have rooted and installed roms on nooks and newer kindles but never a gen1 and I cant get it working. please help.

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

You need to select drivers in device manager, at splash screen

Sent from my sailfish using XDA Labs

jamesban

Feb 19, 2013
Ive downloaded all this BS but when I go to locate a driver to update in device manager it does not locate anything in all the files I unzipped to the adb folder in C
just dl the drivers from amazon also and they are not detected when I browse for them. Im so bummed. I got these tablets for the girls thinking they would be fun and they cant even install twitter or google store and I thought i could put roms on them but cant get them to do ****
https://developer.amazon.com/docs/f...ndows-user-install-the-usb-driver-for-windows

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Ive downloaded all this BS but when I go to locate a driver to update in device manager it does not locate anything in all the files I unzipped to the adb folder in C
just dl the drivers from amazon also and they are not detected when I browse for them. Im so bummed. I got these tablets for the girls thinking they would be fun and they cant even install twitter or google store and I thought i could put roms on them but cant get them to do ****
https://developer.amazon.com/docs/f...ndows-user-install-the-usb-driver-for-windows
Do you have a first gen Kindle Fire (2011)?

Sent from my XT1254 using XDA Labs

T3mmi3

Mar 2, 2016
ADB drivers not working?

After downloading the adb drivers from the kindle fire utility 0.9.9v and running the install_driver.bat, saferoot and the utility did not recognize the device. Only after going back to the original driver I had did the saferoot recognize the device and i was able to install superSU. So now im stuck at the point where you are supposed to either use adb or fastboot commands and neither are working/recognizing the device. And the evice manager is showing android phone - android adb interface but it still doesnt work. I'm not sure what I did wrong but I really can't do anything right now.
Currently my kindle is on version 6.3.4 and Im using windows 10 pro if that matters.

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
After downloading the adb drivers from the kindle fire utility 0.9.9v and running the install_driver.bat, saferoot and the utility did not recognize the device. Only after going back to the original driver I had did the saferoot recognize the device and i was able to install superSU. So now im stuck at the point where you are supposed to either use adb or fastboot commands and neither are working/recognizing the device. And the evice manager is showing android phone - android adb interface but it still doesnt work. I'm not sure what I did wrong but I really can't do anything right now.
Currently my kindle is on version 6.3.4 and Im using windows 10 pro if that matters.
You need to reselect the drivers when it's in fastboot mode

Sent from my sailfish using XDA Labs

inaudible101

Dec 24, 2010
Hey, I was wondering if anyone can give me a hand. I'm running 6.3.4 on my kindle fire and I can't get root for the life of me. I'm familiar with ADB and Fastboot, but I can not get saferoot to work correctly. I get to the point where I open Supersu and I try to update, but it just sits there updating forever and never finished. If I continue in ADB without letting it finish it prompts for root permission and I can grant it. Saferoot finishes like it worked, but I do not have root access. When saferoot tries to copy over the busybox files at the end of the process it looks like the directory is still read only instead of read/right like I assume it should be. If I select cancel instead of update in supersu the app just closes.

I have tried different cables (although the data seems to transfer correctly) and I have tried different drives, although saferoot seemed to be ok with the default kindle drivers. I am a loss since It prompts for root access twice like it should and installs supersu like it should, I just can't get past the part where I have to update it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Hey, I was wondering if anyone can give me a hand. I'm running 6.3.4 on my kindle fire and I can't get root for the life of me. I'm familiar with ADB and Fastboot, but I can not get saferoot to work correctly. I get to the point where I open Supersu and I try to update, but it just sits there updating forever and never finished. If I continue in ADB without letting it finish it prompts for root permission and I can grant it. Saferoot finishes like it worked, but I do not have root access. When saferoot tries to copy over the busybox files at the end of the process it looks like the directory is still read only instead of read/right like I assume it should be. If I select cancel instead of update in supersu the app just closes.

I have tried different cables (although the data seems to transfer correctly) and I have tried different drives, although saferoot seemed to be ok with the default kindle drivers. I am a loss since It prompts for root access twice like it should and installs supersu like it should, I just can't get past the part where I have to update it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
RootMaster Links

Rootmaster apk or

Rootmaster.exe run from PC

Many older android devices are rootable by one or both these options.

These are made by Chinese devs, not open source, but have been used by many people, with no known issues.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

inaudible101

Dec 24, 2010
RootMaster Links

Rootmaster apk or

Many older android devices are rootable by one or both these options.

These are made by Chinese devs, not open source, but have been used by many people, with no known issues.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

I tried the APK with no success, but I didn't end up trying the PC version since it looked super fishy. I give it a shot once I have a chance to set up a VM.

Thank you for the reply.

Damin69

Jul 14, 2018
Saferoot

I have gone threw all the steps. I run saferoot it says root successful but when I unlock fire Super User is Not there.

Not sure what I need to do from here as when I continue it says it finishes but nothing seems to have changed.

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes, this still works with system version 6.3.4

Have a Question? select the new Q&A Tab
    and ask.

Watch my [Video] How To Root Kindle Fire 1 with Update 6.3.3 and 6.3.4, using Saferoot

***First Install Drivers
    1. Download Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.9 from AFH or Mega or XDA see original Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.9 thread
    2. Verify MD5:a20011995d115c3b2d66dcc92303031e https://sites.google.com/site/sdshadowscollection/home/hash-checksums
    3. Extract the zip.
    4. Install_drivers.bat
    5. Reboot PC
    url]

also see Windows Device Drivers and the Device Manager by kinfauns

For those with Windows 8.1 or 10
    Watch [Video] How to disable driver signature enforcement - Windows 8.1 & 8
    or How to Disable Driver Signature Verification on 64-Bit Windows 8.1 or 10 (So That You Can Install Unsigned Drivers)
    and try
    1. Open the charm bar and go into Settings and at the bottom click on Change PC Settings.
    2. Go to the update and Recovery on left then Recovery
    3. Advanced Startup > restart now
    4. Choose the Troubleshoot option followed by Advanced options.
    5. Choose Startup settings then on next screen click on â??restartâ??.
    6. Select option
    7. Disable driver signature enforcement
    Windows 8.1 will now reboot and you can go ahead and use the install_drivers.bat

more here https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/disabling-driver-signature-on-windows-8/all
    What you need to root: Saferoot.zip and a PC, Mac, or Linux
    1. Download[ROOT] Saferoot: Root for VRUEMJ7, MK2, and Android 4.3
    2. Verify MD5 Checksums: https://sites.google.com/site/sdshadowscollection/home/hash-checksums MD5: 70D371EF52E165F83E6C6D5B09C32489 (29 Nov 2014)
    3. Unzip saferoot.zip
    4. run install.bat
    5. Follow on screen instructions

or RootMaster
    Rootmaster apk or Here
    and
    Most android devices are rootable by one or both these options.

What you need to install Google Apps
    :Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.9.zip and a PC
    Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.9

20 Aug 2016
    The server that KFU connected to for the Google Apps is gone, so KFU can no longer install Google Apps
    see my manual instructions in post #2

Rooting Instructions and Installing Google Apps

--------------------------------------

For Custom Bootloader and Recovery:
    --------------------------------------

Have a Question? Ask Here

Changelog:
    I have include a copy of the SafeRoot version, that I used, incase a future updated version does not work on the Kindle Fire 1.
    and the same for Kindle drivers.
    Don't forget to thank the Dev @k1mu in his thread [ROOT] Saferoot: Root for VRUEMJ7, MK2, and Android 4.3
    [6.3.4][6.3.3] Flashing FFF and TWRP without Fastboot Cable

Kindle Fire 1 only (system version 6.X.X) any other kindle may brick

[SIZE=+1]Can Fastboot be used on Linux and Mac?[/SIZE] Yes see

For Windows:
    note: If drivers do not install correctly kindle may boot to Fastboot, you will need a different pc to send normal boot code to kindle
    or an Non-Windows option like soupkit.

Required:
    Root the kindle fire
    If you are not sure if Kindle is Rooted download Root Checker and verify root.​
    Step 1: Watch VideoStep 2: Download Files
    Download fbmode and unzip.
    Download ADB Files
    Download fff-u-boot_v1.5.bin
    Download a TWRP .img like openrecovery-twrp-2.2.2.1-blaze.img

or the One Zip Kindle.Fire.fastboot.Files.zip md5:5D68723E59AD5C1EFCCD3481C6D8E63B

Verify md5 checksums for files https://sites.google.com/site/sdshadowscollection/home/hash-checksums
    Step 3: Place Files
    Create a folder in c drive named adb,
    unzip/extract files,
    copy AdbWinUsbApi.dll, AdbWinApi.dll, adb.exe, fastboot.exe, fbmode, fff-u-boot_v1.5.bin, and openrecovery-twrp-2.2.2.1-blaze.img to adb folder.​
    Step 4: Push Fastboot Mode File to Kindle
    Open a Command Prompt (start>all programs>accessories>Command prompt)
    change directory to adb with
    Code:
    cd\adb
    Install fbmode by using
    Code:
    adb push fbmode /data/local/tmp
    Set fbmode permissions by using:
    Code:
    adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/fbmode
    Step 5: Forcing Fastboot Mode
    Run these commands here:
    Code:
    adb shell 
    su
    cd /data/local/tmp
    ./fbmode
    Press enter once
    Then
    Code:
    exit
    Code:
    exit
    Code:
    adb reboot
    Kindle reboots to fastboot mode
    Fastboot mode Looks just like boot screen, just no boot animation​

Step 6 Testing Fastboot Commands
    Run these commands in command prompt
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 devices
    should get a return code something like
    Code:
    12345689abcd...   Kindle
    or
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product
    should get a return code something like
    Code:
    Kindle

If you do not get a proper code return, drivers may not be correct, I will post some troubleshooting options in post #7
    If you got a proper code return continue with Flashing TWRP/FFF​

Step 7: Flashing TWRP and FFF (custom Recovery and Bootloader)

Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.2.2.1-blaze.img
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader fff-u-boot_v1.5.bin
    fastboot -i 0x1949 oem idme bootmode 4000
    fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot
    Step 8
    Done​

Once FFF/TWRP are on Kindle you can install a custom rom, if you want.
    Pick a Rom from [INDEX] Kindle Fire Development
    You may need to upgrade TWRP before installing a rom see Kindle Fire Flashable Recoveries

Have a Question? Ask Here
    Thanks to @Unkn0wn0ne's thread [HOW-TO] FireFireFire and TWRP on 6.3.3 WITHOUT A FACTORY CABLE!
    Manually Install Google apps on rooted 6.3.3 without KFU

Note: Google Apps are not needed to install TWRP/FFF

1. First Root Kindle Fire (see Post #1)
    2. Install a Root file manager,
    like ES Explorer http://www.estrongs.com/
    Note:If installing Google apps have been tried before.
    with a Root file manager
    remove /system/app/GoogleServicesFramework.apk and vending.apk
    remove /data/app/GoogleServicesFramework.apk and vending.apk
    then reboot​
    3. Download
    Google app.zip, place on sd card (if not there already)
    Mega - XDA - http://d-h.st/ZNt -
    4. Unzip with ES Explorer (should be in /sdcard/downloads/app.zip)
    5. Open
    /sdcard/downloads/apps/data folder created with ES Explorer,​
    6. Select
    GoogleServicesFramework.apk, SyncSettings.apk, and vending.apk, select copy
    paste to /system/app/
    long press on GoogleServicesFramework.apk, then check it's box
    select more (bottom right)​
    7. Change File Permissions
    right of permissions select change to chmod: 644 (rw-r—r--)
    Code:
    	Read	Write	Execute
    Owner     X       X
    Group     X           
    Other     X

select ok, cancel, back, /sdcard/downloads/apps/data
    select com.modaco.marketlauncher.apk, install

then reboot
    Done.

8. [Optional] If you want to sync Google Calendar and Google Contacts
    copy
    /sdcard/downloads/apps/system/GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
    /sdcard/downloads/apps/system/GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
    Install same as GoogleServicesFramework.apk and vending.apk,
    then
    reboot​

then
    install a calendar app from playstore​
    Sources :
    The modaco.marketlauncher.apk is from MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Kindle Fire
    creates a play store icon in stock launcher
    Other apps are from Kindle Fire Uitilty

if modaco.marketlauncher.apk does not allow playstore app to work in stock launcher, push a different launcher from https://play.google.com/store/search?q=launcher
    or install com.gau.go.launcherex-1.apk from apps.zip
    Flashing Twrp in FFF bootloader with fastboot.exe

Note: These files are for Kindle Fire 1 Only, using these one other devices may brick them.

see [Video] Flashing TWRP in FFF bootloader For Kindle Fire 1

Check drivers before flashing see Post #1
    download adb-fastboot.zip, openrecovery-twrp-2.2.2.1-blaze.img
    Step 1:
    Create a folder in c drive named adb,
    unzip/extract files,
    copy AdbWinUsbApi.dll, AdbWinApi.dll, adb.exe, fastboot.exe, and openrecovery-twrp-2.2.2.1-blaze.img to adb folder.​
    Step 2
    connect Kindle Fire to pc, via usb, power off Kindle​
    Step 3
    Open a Command Prompt (start>all programs>accessories>Command prompt)
    change directory to adb with​
    Code:
    cd\adb
    Option: check fastboot connection
    Code:
    fastboot devices
    Power on Kindle
    should get a return code back something like
    Code:
    123456789abcde  kindle
    if not check device manager again, even if you do not get a proper return, flashing may still work.
    if you got a good reply or believe drivers are good, enter
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.2.2.1-blaze.img
    fastboot reboot
    after reboot you should be able to enter recovery by holding power button and releasing when recovery is selected

if you are having trouble flashing try
    Connect kindle to PC,
    Power Off kindle
    run command
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.2.2.1-blaze.img
    Power on kindle
    then
    Code:
    fastboot reboot

if you are Flashing 1.5 FFF bootloader use
    Code:
    fastboot flash bootloader fff-u-boot_v1.5.bin

If you want to install CM11 you need to upgrade to TWRP 2.7.X.X use zip-openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.0-otter.zip install in current twrp and reboot.

Changelog
    16 Nov 2014: edited instructions
    04 May 2015 edited instructions again
    Troubleshooting: Flashing TWRP/FFF

If you got to step
    Code:
    fastboot devices
    and do not get a proper code return, and you have checked drivers in Device Manager, or drivers don't seem to install correctly
    you can try
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 oem idme bootmode 4000
    then
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot
    if kindle reboots, fastboot commands are working
    and you can retry Step 5: Forcing Fastboot Mode
    skip fastboot devices step , and continue with Step 7: Flashing TWRP and FFF

Fixing drivers
    If you got to Step 7, and Kindle is in Fastboot mode, but Fastboot commands are not working try
    In Device manager>select unknown device>Update driver software>
    browse my computer for driver software>Let me pick from a list of Device Drivers on my computer>
    show all(uncheck show only compatible)>look for ADB interface or android phone
    select yes to Ignore warning
    may need to reboot both.
    kindletwrpdriverswin7_zps7cbdbcf0.png