• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How to ROOT Moto G5

Search This thread

Johny Cipeli

Dec 22, 2015
Rio
YEAHHH, FINALY MOTO G5 AND 5+ ARE ROOTED!!!!

Guys, I've created a post in MOTO G5 + GUIDES, to how to root it, then I post a link for this post on, G5 TWRP page. A lot of pelople are asking for Moto G5 too, then here it go !!! I do not own The G5 variant I can not test it. This is just a possible light (which in my opnion Should work too) for you guys to root your phone too, by the way the link for Stock ROM is bellow.

Your warranty is now void.

I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
backup your data before flashing it!
YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

Do everything at your own risk!

Guys after some attempts without success, a few minutes ago I got a stable way to root it, and the lot of people was getting trouble to make it I decided to create this post. If you want to root yours too, then follow and read (read all step line and understand it before doing) CAREFULLY this:

1. Unlock your bootloader
2. Download all files in the end of this post
3. Backup your data and files, all will be lost

4. I recomend you make a clean install, then flash stock ROM again(you can do this or not), so flash it(let the phone start)
5. Turn off the mobile, then go to bootloader screen and flash TWRP

Now the steps that people was getting trouble

6. In the Decrypt /data screen, press cancel, then "Swipe to Allow Modifications"
7. Go to WIPE, then "Swipe to Factory Reset"
8. Come back to TWRP main menu, go to REBOOT, then RECOVERY, then DO NOT INSTALL

Now TWRP is rebooting :p

9. "Swipe to Allow Modifications"
10. Plug your phone to PC (as TWRP is not reading sdcard yet)
11. Copy "no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.1.zip"(FLASH IT) and "Magisk-v11.6.zip"(NO FLASH IT YET), and flash "no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.1.zip", NO ROOT YET

12. Come back to TWRP main menu, go to REBOOT, then SYSTEM, then DO NOT INSTALL
13. After that, turn off the phone again
14. Go to bootloader screen and open TWRP
15. "Swipe to Allow Modifications"
16. NOW flash "Magisk-v11.6.zip"
17. After the setup, come back to TWRP main menu, go to REBOOT, then SYSTEM, then DO NOT INSTALL
18. When the Phone starts, go to Magisk App( it will ask for an update, then update it)
19. Open Magisk.......

20.BOOOOMMMM YOU NOW HAVE ROOTED PHONE!!!!

SOME EXPLANATIONS

*Is this works?
As I don't own The G5 variant I can't test it, then "Do everything at your own risk!"

*Why not SuperSU or Phh superuser??
SuperSU didn't installed, and Phh broken system!!

*Which Stock Version??
Build NPN25.137-33

DOWNLOADS

no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.1: http://zip.net/bftGRg
Magisk-v11.6: http://zip.net/bdtHnv
Stock ROM: http://zip.net/bwtGqn
TWRP: http://zip.net/bftGRT

SPECIAL THANKS
@topjohnwu for the root
@Santhosh M for the TWRP and for the tips for Bootlooping solution
@abdyasar for the no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.1

http%3A%2F%2Fap.imagensbrasil.org%2Fimages%2F2017%2F03%2F26%2FScreenshot_20170326-203732.png

linsspinho

Apr 11, 2013
Hello @Johny Cipeli, as you said:
4. I recommend you make a clean install, then flash stock ROM again(you can do this or not), so flash it(let the phone start)

Olá amigo, estou tentando reinstalar stock no meu fone que está em bootloop, o problema é que as stock que estão disponibilizando são de variantes como XT1681, XT168X, já vi até XT1676, enquanto que a minha é "cedric XT1672 32GB P5", M8937_8000.122.02.45R CEDRIC_BRAZILDSDS_CUST.
Pergunto: Tem como "extrair" a room original feita pelo TWRP antes do procedimento?
Estou receioso em instalar ROM diferente do aparelho.

TRANSLATION
Hello, I am trying to reinstall STOCK on my phone that is in bootloop, the problem is that the stock they are making available are of variants like XT1681, XT168X, I have seen up to XT1676, while mine is "cedric XT1672 32GB P5", M8937_8000 .122.02.45R CEDRIC_BRAZILDSDS_CUST.
I ask: Is it possible to "extract" the original room made by TWRP before the procedure?
I am afraid to install ROM other than the device.

Johny Cipeli

Dec 22, 2015
Rio
Hello @Johny Cipeli, as you said:

Olá amigo, estou tentando reinstalar stock no meu fone que está em bootloop, o problema é que as stock que estão disponibilizando são de variantes como XT1681, XT168X, já vi até XT1676, enquanto que a minha é "cedric XT1672 32GB P5", M8937_8000.122.02.45R CEDRIC_BRAZILDSDS_CUST.
Pergunto: Tem como "extrair" a room original feita pelo TWRP antes do procedimento?
Estou receioso em instalar ROM diferente do aparelho.

TRANSLATION
Hello, I am trying to reinstall STOCK on my phone that is in bootloop, the problem is that the stock they are making available are of variants like XT1681, XT168X, I have seen up to XT1676, while mine is "cedric XT1672 32GB P5", M8937_8000 .122.02.45R CEDRIC_BRAZILDSDS_CUST.
I ask: Is it possible to "extract" the original room made by TWRP before the procedure?
I am afraid to install ROM other than the device.

You can backup your Atual ROM through TWRP Backup

linsspinho

Apr 11, 2013
You can backup your Atual ROM through TWRP Backup

I forgot to say! my phone is in bootloop, I made a backup with TWRP before this situation, thats the reason I am asking, cos I made backup of 'system image' too!
or maybe you could guide me to a brazilian moto G5's STOCK ROM that should match my phone.
Also, I am asking cos you seems to be brazilian ANDROID expert, thus better access to brazilian's ROMs than me.
What I need is a TIP to "revive" my phone.

Johny Cipeli

Dec 22, 2015
Rio
I forgot to say! my phone is in bootloop, I made a backup with TWRP before this situation, thats the reason I am asking, cos I made backup of 'system image' too!
or maybe you could guide me to a brazilian moto G5's STOCK ROM that should match my phone.
Also, I am asking cos you seems to be brazilian ANDROID expert, thus better access to brazilian's ROMs than me.

The phone is already "dead", you can give a chance for the Stock that I said

Reactions: motafoca!

durbancurry

Aug 2, 2011
TWRP & Rooting MOTO G5

TWRP & Rooting MOTO G5 is not clear if anyone successfully done this, i see some have problems i see yes for G5 Plus

for XT1675 3Gb dual ??

Raphafluffa

Jan 1, 2016
Copenhagen
TWRP & Rooting MOTO G5 is not clear if anyone successfully done this, i see some have problems i see yes for G5 Plus

for XT1675 3Gb dual ??

did it on my 5g XT1676 dual sim 3GBram with the above guide worked fine, i recommend using he video from the 5g plus guide, its basically the same. Also give him a subscribe or thumbs up or something ;)

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

Has anyone tried this tutorial? Does it work for Moto G5 XT1675 ?

did it on my 5g XT1676 dual sim 3GBram with the above guide

Mike_Wasawsky

Apr 2, 2011
London
did it on my 5g XT1676 dual sim 3GBram with the above guide worked fine, i recommend using he video from the 5g plus guide, its basically the same. Also give him a subscribe or thumbs up or something ;)

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

did it on my 5g XT1676 dual sim 3GBram with the above guide
Aaah. I'm supper tempted to do it... But I'll wait few days . Thanks for the confirmation

durbancurry

Aug 2, 2011
unlocking

is there a way to root without unlocking BL ?

unlocking is not usually a problem, but cant be reversed,

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 AM ----------

Aaah. I'm supper tempted to do it... But I'll wait few days . Thanks for the confirmation

sounds like me, tempted but will wait, dont want to brick, but do want all that bloatware apps gone. Custom Rom in time i guess.

Mike_Wasawsky

Apr 2, 2011
London

xyluss0

Apr 8, 2017
I followed all the steps but when I check using Root Checker, it says that the device is not properly rooted!

whatever_64

Apr 10, 2017
working perfectly

just wanted to confirm that this method worked for my XT1676 moto g5 dual sim 3gb from great britain.

modem version M8937_8000.122.02.40R CEDRIC_EMEADSDS_CUST
build CEDRIC_NPP25.137-15
software channel: retgb

DJBhardwaj

Recognized Contributor
Apr 23, 2011
Delhi
Since MagiskSU supports dm-verity and force encryption removal, doesn't it automatically decrypt the /data partition? In theory it should. Anyone tried?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    YEAHHH, FINALY MOTO G5 AND 5+ ARE ROOTED!!!!

Guys, I've created a post in MOTO G5 + GUIDES, to how to root it, then I post a link for this post on, G5 TWRP page. A lot of pelople are asking for Moto G5 too, then here it go !!! I do not own The G5 variant I can not test it. This is just a possible light (which in my opnion Should work too) for you guys to root your phone too, by the way the link for Stock ROM is bellow.

Your warranty is now void.

I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    backup your data before flashing it!
    YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

Do everything at your own risk!

Guys after some attempts without success, a few minutes ago I got a stable way to root it, and the lot of people was getting trouble to make it I decided to create this post. If you want to root yours too, then follow and read (read all step line and understand it before doing) CAREFULLY this:

1. Unlock your bootloader
    2. Download all files in the end of this post
    3. Backup your data and files, all will be lost

4. I recomend you make a clean install, then flash stock ROM again(you can do this or not), so flash it(let the phone start)
    5. Turn off the mobile, then go to bootloader screen and flash TWRP

Now the steps that people was getting trouble

6. In the Decrypt /data screen, press cancel, then "Swipe to Allow Modifications"
    7. Go to WIPE, then "Swipe to Factory Reset"
    8. Come back to TWRP main menu, go to REBOOT, then RECOVERY, then DO NOT INSTALL

Now TWRP is rebooting :p

9. "Swipe to Allow Modifications"
    10. Plug your phone to PC (as TWRP is not reading sdcard yet)
    11. Copy "no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.1.zip"(FLASH IT) and "Magisk-v11.6.zip"(NO FLASH IT YET), and flash "no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.1.zip", NO ROOT YET

12. Come back to TWRP main menu, go to REBOOT, then SYSTEM, then DO NOT INSTALL
    13. After that, turn off the phone again
    14. Go to bootloader screen and open TWRP
    15. "Swipe to Allow Modifications"
    16. NOW flash "Magisk-v11.6.zip"
    17. After the setup, come back to TWRP main menu, go to REBOOT, then SYSTEM, then DO NOT INSTALL
    18. When the Phone starts, go to Magisk App( it will ask for an update, then update it)
    19. Open Magisk.......

20.BOOOOMMMM YOU NOW HAVE ROOTED PHONE!!!!

SOME EXPLANATIONS

*Is this works?
    As I don't own The G5 variant I can't test it, then "Do everything at your own risk!"

*Why not SuperSU or Phh superuser??
    SuperSU didn't installed, and Phh broken system!!

*Which Stock Version??
    Build NPN25.137-33

DOWNLOADS

no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.1: http://zip.net/bftGRg
    Magisk-v11.6: http://zip.net/bdtHnv
    Stock ROM: http://zip.net/bwtGqn
    TWRP: http://zip.net/bftGRT

SPECIAL THANKS
    @topjohnwu for the root
    @Santhosh M for the TWRP and for the tips for Bootlooping solution
    @abdyasar for the no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.1

http%3A%2F%2Fap.imagensbrasil.org%2Fimages%2F2017%2F03%2F26%2FScreenshot_20170326-203732.png
    Majisk 11.6 installed when I go to update app says cannot be found on the playstore. Was it pulled from store
    Google search Magisk Manager 4.3.3 apk application and install it, then check if it says Rooted.

The phone is already "dead", you can give a chance for the Stock that I said
    Did just that kicker rooted again
    Can TWRP boot up in a MOTOG5 without installing? If so, could the OP root procedure be accomplished by booting TWRP and not flashing it?

Yes most likely

Code:
    fastboot boot twrp.img

where twrp.img is the name of your recovery img

You could always flash stock recovery back at anytime though but seeing as you are now rooted I don't see the benefit of this unless you were to fully unroot for ota updates but any change to the system (and magisk does change the system) you need to revert all changes else ota updates will fail