How to root my maxwest branded phone

Search This thread

shatheone

Jun 2, 2011
I have a nitro 5p, I'm looking for a way to root so I can get some type of custom rom. The stock one is lost unuseable

Reactions: timba123
TWRP is not required in order to root the MaxWest Nitro 5P. In fact, you could not root it using TWRP even if you wanted to. This device ships with Android 9 Pie Go Edition and is fully Project Treble supported. Also, like many devices of its kind with a System-as-Root (SAR) configuration, this phone has no boot-ramdisk. The only workaround to attain root is to patch the ramdisk in the recovery image and flash the patched image to /recovery versus the typical /boot partition. This effectively enables Magisk to hijack the recovery partition. Thus, the tricky part. In order for root to be properly installed, the phone must manually be booted to recovery mode during each and every reboot. However, it won't actually boot into recovery mode due to Magisk hijacking the /recovery partition. It will boot into the Android OS with Magisk systemless root installed. If you choose to boot the phone normal, it will still boot into Android, but without Magisk installed. This is rather unorthodox and inconvenient but it remains the only solution for these devices with no boot-ramdisk. For more info on Magisk running in recovery, see the official GitHub documentation here: https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html
TWRP is not compatible with this type of install and will cause a bricked device. Simply unlock the bootloader, patch the stock recovery image with Magisk, and flash the patched image to the recovery partition via fastboot. Boot to recovery mode during the next and every subsequent reboot. I am presently drafting a rooting guide on this device and I will post my link here when finished, for anybody needing instructions.
The OP of this thread originally requested info on root for purposes of possibly installing a custom ROM. Indeed, there are a few Treble GSI ROMs compatible with the Nitro 5P (ARM, A-Only). However, you do not need to have a rooted OS in order to install GSI custom ROMs, but only an unlocked bootloader. I will compile some resources for compatible GSI Treble ROMs and list this info in my rooting guide coming soon. TWRP isn't needed for GSI installation. Everything can be done in AP Fastboot Mode. I am not certain if MaxWest Telecom has released the kernel source code for the Nitro 5P. I will research this. This code will be required for the compiling of custom ROMs such as LineageOS & Pixel Experience. It is likewise needed for TWRP to be built from source.

Last edited:

timba123

Feb 10, 2015
Maryland
LG V20
TWRP is not required in order to root the MaxWest Nitro 5P. In fact, you could not root it using TWRP even if you wanted to. This device ships with Android 9 Pie Go Edition and is fully Project Treble supported. Also, like many devices of its kind with a System-as-Root (SAR) configuration, this phone has no boot-ramdisk. The only workaround to attain root is to patch the ramdisk in the recovery image and flash the patched image to /recovery versus the typical /boot partition. This effectively enables Magisk to hijack the recovery partition. Thus, the tricky part. In order for root to be properly installed, the phone must manually be booted to recovery mode during each and every reboot. However, it won't actually boot into recovery mode due to Magisk hijacking the /recovery partition. It will boot into the Android OS with Magisk systemless root installed. If you choose to boot the phone normal, it will still boot into Android, but without Magisk installed. This is rather unorthodox and inconvenient but it remains the only solution for these devices with no boot-ramdisk. For more info on Magisk running in recovery, see the official GitHub documentation here: https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html
TWRP is not compatible with this type of install and will cause a bricked device. Simply unlock the bootloader, patch the stock recovery image with Magisk, and flash the patched image to the recovery partition via fastboot. Boot to recovery mode during the next and every subsequent reboot. I am presently drafting a rooting guide on this device and I will post my link here when finished, for anybody needing instructions.
The OP of this thread originally requested info on root for purposes of possibly installing a custom ROM. Indeed, there are a few Treble GSI ROMs compatible with the Nitro 5P (ARM, A-Only). However, you do not need to have a rooted OS in order to install GSI custom ROMs, but only an unlocked bootloader. I will compile some resources for compatible GSI Treble ROMs and list this info in my rooting guide coming soon. TWRP isn't needed for GSI installation. Everything can be done in AP Fastboot Mode. I am not certain if MaxWest Telecom has released the kernel source code for the Nitro 5P. I will research this. This code will be required for the compiling of custom ROMs such as LineageOS & Pixel Experience. It is likewise needed for TWRP to be built from source.
Interesting. I have tried 2 different twrp img's that was made for my nitro 5p and when i tried fastboot boot twrp.img the os booted. Frustrating. Now i see why. Thanks

No problem. I'm certainly not saying that TWRP cannot be booted or even installed on the Nitro 5P. I'm only stating that under no circumstances can the Nitro 5P (in its stock configuration, at least) be rooted using TWRP. The only root solution -- due to the boot image being devoid of a ramdisk -- is the method I outlined above. Now, if someone compiled a custom boot image with integrated ramdisk, this would certainly change matters. Out of curiosity, have you tried flashing TWRP to the /recovery partition using fastboot flash recovery twrp.img? Or, in the alternative, you can replace the stock recovery image with TWRP by decompiling the .pac firmware package, repack the .pac archive, and flash TWRP using the Spreadtrum Flash Tool. I'm just curious as to whether anybody has tried that.

Last edited:
Scroll down until you reach the installation heading titled "Magisk in Recovery." Follow those steps and you will attain root on your Nitro 5p. In a nutshell, you will be patching a stock recovery image versus a stock boot image. Magisk will be able to hijack the /recovery partition and enable systemless root on the Android OS.

I can help! Please Pm me, I just rooted and installed twrp. However I still haven't learned how to build custom rom yet.
Why would you want somebody to PM you in order to get help? This is a custom Android development community. Provide your input openly on the thread so it can benefit all others who need help as well.

I can help! Please Pm me, I just rooted and installed twrp. However I still haven't learned how to build custom rom yet.
Keep in mind that you rarely ever need to be rooted in order to install a custom ROM. However, you will need a custom recovery and the custom ROM itself. To the best of my knowledge, no custom ROMs have been ported to, or compiled for, the Maxwest Nitro 5p. However, the Nitro 5p is Project Treble supported, meaning you can boot and install a Generic System Image (GSI). There are a nunber of custom GSI ROMs available here on XDA, which have been build by various developers. This is a link to several GSI ROMs built from some of the more popular custom ROMs, i.e. HavocOS, LineageOS, ArrowOS, PixelExperience and others. These are available both with and without GApps, in both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures.
Also, this is the official Project Treble forum here on XDA. This includes numerous GSI ROMs in various versions, instructional guides, device-specific resources and a ton of general info on Project Treble.
I have a nitro 5p, I'm looking for a way to root so I can get some type of custom rom. The stock one is lost unuseable

Last edited:

timba123

Feb 10, 2015
Maryland
LG V20
The phone isn't all that great anyways. However it would benefit to root or use a gsi for sure. Just haven't had time with all the crap going on on the world stage. I'll try to make time over weekend and play around

For members having difficulties unlocking the Nitro 5P bootloader, you need to use the Token Identifier method typical to Unisoc (Spreadtrum) devices. There is a comprehensive YouTube guide on the process.

You will need a modified fastboot tools build, A Linux PC (or Windows PC running Ubuntu Live), and ADB Debugging/OEM Unlocking enabled in Developer Options. Links for the files you will need can be found here https://forum.hovatek.com/thread-32287.html
To the best of my knowledge, this is the only viable method for unlocking the bootloader on the Nitro 5p.

Last edited:

timba123

Feb 10, 2015
Maryland
LG V20
For members having difficulties unlocking the Nitro 5P bootloader, you need to use the Token Identifier method typical to Unisoc (Spreadtrum) devices. There is a comprehensive YouTube guide on the process.

You will need a modified fastboot tools build, A Linux PC (or Windows PC running Ubuntu Live), and ADB Debugging/OEM Unlocking enabled in Developer Options. Links for the files you will need can be found here https://forum.hovatek.com/thread-32287.html
To the best of my knowledge, this is the only viable method for unlocking the bootloader on the Nitro 5p.
I had trouble originally but a fellow xda member ma

I had trouble but someone here made a token for me. I'm bl unlocked for sure. I'm going to try to magisk root this weekend. The specs are poor on this device (nitro 5p) but is gsi/treble compatible :). So I plan on trying that but in the end I'll prob just debloat stock to be as vanilla as I can and also add custom audio.

I had trouble originally but a fellow xda member ma

I had trouble but someone here made a token for me. I'm bl unlocked for sure. I'm going to try to magisk root this weekend. The specs are poor on this device (nitro 5p) but is gsi/treble compatible :). So I plan on trying that but in the end I'll prob just debloat stock to be as vanilla as I can and also add custom audio.
Viper4Android FX with the NEON audio drivers works quite nice on the 5p. A good debloating and some build.prop tweaks to optimize RAM efficiency and responsiveness made a big difference for me. You can also add a line to build.prop to disable the boot animation during boot up, which speeds up boot time considerably. Use Kernel Adiutor-Mod (APK available here on XDA) to enable Touch Boost under CPU settings and change the CPU Governor to Performance. Set I/O scheduler parameters to a 512 KB read-ahead on internal storage, using the noop scheduler preset. Set SELinux to permissive mode as well and use the Low Memory Killer (LMK) preset of Very Aggressive. In the ZRAM options, ensure Swappiness is set to 100.
Keep in mind that when rooting, you will need to install Magisk to run in recovery versus the typical boot.img patching.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Did you figure it out
    yea

wait that wasn't a question for me...lol
    Scroll down until you reach the installation heading titled "Magisk in Recovery." Follow those steps and you will attain root on your Nitro 5p. In a nutshell, you will be patching a stock recovery image versus a stock boot image. Magisk will be able to hijack the /recovery partition and enable systemless root on the Android OS.