[HOW-TO] Root Nokia 8 with Systemless Magisk

Search This thread

dbpm1

Apr 2, 2018
Sampa
Reason for edit: Change title so more users can find this method since for now TWRP is working but not to root

Hello fellow XDA users,

On this post I'm going to explain how I got root on my own Nokia 8 TA-1004, please be patient because this is my first thread under any development section!!

I've been following all threads here on XDA and for the last few days its like a boom of new information, yesterday a Senior Member provided me with the Unlock Key generated with my IMEI1 and the phone's bootloader is now unlocked:

7yXb7ph.png

Now the next logical part I would be installing TWRP to flash the magisk flashable zip to the phone, but there is no TWRP built to our phones (old information, there is now an official TWRP build)..

To my surprise there is this thread that offers boot images already patched with root ( @nummerok are they patched under magisk?), I tried flashing first with:
Code:
fastboot boot NB1-0-484A-00WW-boot.img
But it did not worked, no matter what the installed Magisk Manager would not find the Magisk Module on the system.

Then I found out that some users were getting root but with the problem of losing wifi connectivity, that was found to be the fault of the phone having the March Security Patch (00WW_4_84A_SP01) while flashing the boot image of the phone with the February Security Patch (00WW_4_84A).

As of this new A-B partition scheme on Android, when your boot image does not pass dm-verity it restores the older version automatically (Am I right on this point?? can please someone confirm?!)

Since my phone WAS on the march patch I saw no other option but to wait someone to grab the march boot image to patch it Magisk Manager and get root.

Buut since my generation doesn't like to sit and wait I found that there was a way to roll back to the previous firmware!

What I did was, run this code below on adb to know which slot my phone was:
Code:
adb shell getprop ro.boot.slot_suffix
Then take note of the slot and run:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader

After the device starts up in Download Mode you need to switch to the other boot slot. Just run:
Code:
If you are currently on slot A, type this: [B][I]fastboot --set-active=_b[/I][/B]

Or on slot B type this: [B][I]fastboot --set-active=_a[/I][/B]

You should see something like this:
Code:
Setting current slot to 'a'... OKAY [ 0.046s] finished. total time: 0.046s

Now run the code below and cross your fingers!
Code:
fastboot reboot

Once the phone has booted, check in Settings/System/About Phone if your Android security patch level has downgraded to the February one and proceed to the next step.

I've downloaded the full NB1-484A-0-00WW-B03.nb0 firmware from @blackpanther0582 thread under the google drive link and extracted the boot image using the tool made by @heineken78 available over here (be sure to have lots of ram available for the unpack process :fingers-crossed:).

With the file NB1-0-484A-00WW-boot.img at hand I've copied it to the Nokia 8 internal storage and ran Magisk Manager to patch it, follow instructions here under Via Magisk Manager (Only support v14.0+) part.

Now grab the patched_boot.img file provided by Magisk from the phone and save it (adb pull or whatever) to your pc and run these commands:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
After the phone boots up in Download Mode run:
Code:
fastboot flash boot_a patched_boot.img
fastboot flash boot_b patched_boot.img
fastboot reboot
With that done, after the boot you can open Magisk Manager to see it fully installed and later on install some root checker app just to be sure of the sucess of your rooting:
Split-screen to the rescue lol
GqqmBDm.jpg

This Nokia 8 is officially rooted but with the previous February patch and I'm itching to install the March OTA provided by @2WildFirE here, any thoughts on that? What about the official system update that still lists the 2018-03 security patch? Would any of which work?

And that is all for now folks!

I would like to thank @the_laser @heineken78 @topjohnwu @blackpanther0582 @nummerok and many others in this invaluable path to learning more about this phone and the Android system in general!

Good Luck!!

Last edited:

contrahelix

Feb 16, 2018
I used your method, but it doesn't work.
When I type "fastboot --set-active=_a",it shows "fastboot usage". I try it fifth time, but it still. I haven't deal anythings about root Nokia8, is it the reason ?

dbpm1

Apr 2, 2018
Sampa
I used your method, but it doesn't work.
When I type "fastboot --set-active=_a",it shows "fastboot usage". I try it fifth time, but it still. I haven't deal anythings about root Nokia8, is it the reason ?
It should work only if you have your bootloader unlocked @contrahelix
You might get it unlocked officially by Nokia or wait for an alternative method.
Also you should update your adb/fastboot tools, then you would get the right error message telling you about the still locked bootloader!

Last edited:

Salza01

Jun 1, 2018
On this post I'm going to explain how I got root on my own Nokia 8 TA-1004, please be patient because this is my first thread under any development section!!
I have a TA-1012 i assume it won't work for me?

Raithlin

Mar 31, 2006
Now that we have unlocked bootloaders, is it possible that this can be updated to simply use the latest image instead of rolling back? Or are we still rolling back...

shivaji namburu

Mar 16, 2017
As u have unlocked bootloader and installed magisk i have a question .
Is it worth to unlock bootloader and install magisk.......?
And one more any custom rom available for nokia8 ta1004.......?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Reason for edit: Change title so more users can find this method since for now TWRP is working but not to root

Hello fellow XDA users,

I've been following all threads here on XDA and for the last few days its like a boom of new information, yesterday a Senior Member provided me with the Unlock Key generated with my IMEI1 and the phone's bootloader is now unlocked:

7yXb7ph.png

Now the next logical part I would be installing TWRP to flash the magisk flashable zip to the phone, but there is no TWRP built to our phones (old information, there is now an official TWRP build)..

To my surprise there is this thread that offers boot images already patched with root ( @nummerok are they patched under magisk?), I tried flashing first with:
    Code:
    fastboot boot NB1-0-484A-00WW-boot.img
    But it did not worked, no matter what the installed Magisk Manager would not find the Magisk Module on the system.

Then I found out that some users were getting root but with the problem of losing wifi connectivity, that was found to be the fault of the phone having the March Security Patch (00WW_4_84A_SP01) while flashing the boot image of the phone with the February Security Patch (00WW_4_84A).

As of this new A-B partition scheme on Android, when your boot image does not pass dm-verity it restores the older version automatically (Am I right on this point?? can please someone confirm?!)

Since my phone WAS on the march patch I saw no other option but to wait someone to grab the march boot image to patch it Magisk Manager and get root.

Buut since my generation doesn't like to sit and wait I found that there was a way to roll back to the previous firmware!

What I did was, run this code below on adb to know which slot my phone was:
    Code:
    adb shell getprop ro.boot.slot_suffix
    Then take note of the slot and run:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

After the device starts up in Download Mode you need to switch to the other boot slot. Just run:
    Code:
    If you are currently on slot A, type this: [B][I]fastboot --set-active=_b[/I][/B]

Or on slot B type this: [B][I]fastboot --set-active=_a[/I][/B]

You should see something like this:
    Code:
    Setting current slot to 'a'... OKAY [ 0.046s] finished. total time: 0.046s

Now run the code below and cross your fingers!
    Code:
    fastboot reboot

Once the phone has booted, check in Settings/System/About Phone if your Android security patch level has downgraded to the February one and proceed to the next step.

I've downloaded the full NB1-484A-0-00WW-B03.nb0 firmware from @blackpanther0582 thread under the google drive link and extracted the boot image using the tool made by @heineken78 available over here (be sure to have lots of ram available for the unpack process :fingers-crossed:).

With the file NB1-0-484A-00WW-boot.img at hand I've copied it to the Nokia 8 internal storage and ran Magisk Manager to patch it, follow instructions here under Via Magisk Manager (Only support v14.0+) part.

Now grab the patched_boot.img file provided by Magisk from the phone and save it (adb pull or whatever) to your pc and run these commands:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    After the phone boots up in Download Mode run:
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot_a patched_boot.img
    fastboot flash boot_b patched_boot.img
    fastboot reboot
    With that done, after the boot you can open Magisk Manager to see it fully installed and later on install some root checker app just to be sure of the sucess of your rooting:
    Split-screen to the rescue lol
    GqqmBDm.jpg

This Nokia 8 is officially rooted but with the previous February patch and I'm itching to install the March OTA provided by @2WildFirE here, any thoughts on that? What about the official system update that still lists the 2018-03 security patch? Would any of which work?

And that is all for now folks!

I would like to thank @the_laser @heineken78 @topjohnwu @blackpanther0582 @nummerok and many others in this invaluable path to learning more about this phone and the Android system in general!

Good Luck!!
    Nice, this will help some people to understand.