General How to Root OnePlus 9R using Magisk [No TWRP Required]

Search This thread

mo0haan

Sep 13, 2017
Steps to Root OnePlus 9R with Magisk

Below I have shown step by step procedure to Root OnePlus 9R. You just have to follow each and every step carefully, or else you may face trouble booting up your device again.

Please read the complete guide before applying the steps. This will avoid confusion.

MORE CLEAR STEP IS IN THE ATTACHED FILE

Things to remember

Make sure to disable all security Locks on your OnePlus 9R.

Take Full Backup of your Android device.

You need a PC to perform the Commands.

Fully charge your phone.

OnePlus 9R Original USB Cable.

Note: Rooting is a complex process, so if you miss any of the below steps will end up bricking your device. So, make sure to follow all the steps carefully as shown.

We are not responsible for any loss and damage to your device. Apply the below steps with your own risk.

Downloads

In any steps, if the particular file is asked you to download, then you can come here and download it. We will update the links according to the latest build by developers.

• Stock Boot Image for OnePlus 9R – OnePlus9ROxygen Os 11.2.1.2. (Should be on this version) PLATFORM
Download Magisk App (Latest Version)

OnePlus USB Drivers (Optional) – Download

SDK Platform Tools – Download

1.) Enable OEM Unlocking on OnePlus 9R

Follow the below steps to enable USB debugging and the OEM Unlock option.

Go to Settings > About Phone > Tap on Build number 5-6 times.

Now go Back > System > Developer options > enable “OEM Unlocking” and “USB debugging”.

If you see the OEM unlocking option is missing or is greyed out, then you need to check few things.

Make sure that you have logged into your Google account.

Also, check if you have an active Internet connection or not.

2.) Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 9R

Connect your OnePlus 9R device to the PC using the original USB cable.

Open the Platform-tools folder and type “cmd” in the address bar and hit Enter.

The Command window will open.

Connect OnePlus 9R to PC via original USB cable.

On the command window, type the below command. It should display the connected devices.

fastboot devices

Hit Enter, Next type the following command to boot OnePlus 9R into fastboot mode.

adb reboot bootloader

Press “Enter” on your keyboard

Next, type the following command to Unlock the Bootloader on OnePlus 9R. (Note: Unlocking the bootloader will wipe all your data).

fastboot flashing unlock

On your phone, press the Volume buttons to move the selector to “UNLOCK THE BOOTLOADER” and press the power button to confirm.

After that, all your data will get erased, and your phone will freshly bootup.

That’s It, the bootloader on OnePlus 9R is successfully unlocked!

Step 3: Install Magisk App on OnePlus 9R

Download and Install the Magisk App on your phone.

Step 4: Flash boot Image

Again return to the Command window and type the following command to boot OnePlus 9R into fastboot mode. Or you can enable advance reboot form developer section and directly enter into fastboot mode

adb reboot bootloader

Once the phone boots into fastboot mode, type the below command to flash our patched boot image file into your phone.

fastboot flash boot boot.img

Next, once the flashing process completes, type the below command to Reboot your OnePlus 9R device.

fastboot reboot

Open the Magisk App and check the Root status.

You can also verify if your rooted OnePlus 9R passes SafetyNet by pressing the “Check SafetyNet” button in Magisk App.

That’s it. You have successfully Rooted your OnePlus 9R smartphone.

Attachments

• Steps to Root OnePlus 9R with Magisk.pdf
    803.4 KB · Views: 1,009
Last edited:

osm0sis

Senior Recognized Developer / Contributor
Mar 14, 2012
Halifax
GT-i9250
Google Nexus 4
Forgive the cross-post, but I wanted to also inform here that the 8T TWRP should have support for 9R in the next build (not out yet) since I added the 9R to the unified script.

Watch the 8T TWRP thread here for progress and that next build which should support 9R: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-unified-stable.4101313/page-72#post-85274307

and you can use my adb insecure patching AK3 zip to get adb access from 9R stock recovery in the meantime here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-unified-stable.4101313/page-57#post-84204575

osm0sis

Senior Recognized Developer / Contributor
Mar 14, 2012
Halifax
GT-i9250
Google Nexus 4
Last edited:

okaiuz

Sep 21, 2011
HI,
i'm waiting an oneplus 9r, and i wishto root it as soon as i recieve!
i've some doubt, can you please clarify some step below?
thanks in advice for help!

Below I have shown step by step procedure to Root OnePlus 9R. You just have to follow each and every step carefully, or else you may face trouble booting up your device again.

Please read the complete guide before applying the steps. This will avoid confusion.

Things to remember

Fully charge your phone.

Note: Rooting is a complex process, so if you miss any of the below steps will end up bricking your device. So, make sure to follow all the steps carefully as shown.

We are not responsible for any loss and damage to your device. Apply the below steps with your own risk.

Downloads

In any steps, if the particular file is asked you to download, then you can come here and download it. We will update the links according to the latest build by developers.

• Stock Boot Image for OnePlus 9R – OnePlus9ROxygen Os 11.2.1.2. (Should be on this version) PLATFORM

i've to extract the boot image from this platform tool and copy it on the phone after unlock the bootloader?

i've to use the adb and fastboot from this tool or from the one above that contains boot image also?

Now go Back > System > Developer options > enable “OEM Unlocking” and “USB debugging”.

If you see the OEM unlocking option is missing or is greyed out, then you need to check few things.

On the command window, type the below command. It should display the connected devices.

fastboot devices

Hit Enter, Next type the following command to boot OnePlus 9R into fastboot mode.

adb reboot bootloader

Next, type the following command to Unlock the Bootloader on OnePlus 9R. (Note: Unlocking the bootloader will wipe all your data).

fastboot flashing unlock

On your phone, press the Volume buttons to move the selector to “UNLOCK THE BOOTLOADER” and press the power button to confirm.

When i install magisk i've to select the boot image that is in platform tool that you linked, patch it and then copy it back on the pc?

Again return to the Command window and type the following command to boot OnePlus 9R into fastboot mode. Or you can enable advance reboot form developer section and directly enter into fastboot mode

adb reboot bootloader

Once the phone boots into fastboot mode, type the below command to flash our patched boot image file into your phone.

Next, once the flashing process completes, type the below command to Reboot your OnePlus 9R device.

fastboot reboot

You can also verify if your rooted OnePlus 9R passes SafetyNet by pressing the “Check SafetyNet” button in Magisk App.

lvints

Jan 6, 2012
Timon
OnePlus 9R
@mo0haan

I would like to ask just to avoid bootloop, I was used to using "fastboot oem unlock" command to unlock OP7's BL.

Is there any explanation for using "fastboot flashing unlock" command for 9R?

wa walid

Jul 20, 2016
Can not enter into fastboot.
phone enters into recovery then when i select fastboot it just restart the phone

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Things to remember

Fully charge your phone.

Downloads

fastboot devices

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot flashing unlock

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot reboot

where do I get the stock boot image?

EDIT

Download the second file from the stock rom thread, then use this https://github.com/cyxx/extract_android_ota_payload to extract the boot.img file. then transfer that to your phone and then flash.
    TWRP is out now. 20210705 build. (y)
    Booted but unable to decrypt data. Replace kernel/dtb fix that.
    Unified kernel source I'm using. https://github.com/AOSPA/android_kernel_oneplus_sm8250
    Did you get the answer?
    Yeah it's OnePlus , you can definitely update your phone even after rooting installing custom recovery & retain all the mods
    Did you get the answer?
    Non, I know it's possible but I think that the answer can be found in threads from whatever kernel you are using.
    I suppose that you would need to restore stock kernel, update, restore custom kernel.