How to root OxygenOS 12?

Search This thread

Swap_File

Apr 12, 2016
FYI: For anyone wanting to use google pay, I needed this specific version of Universal Safetynet Fix:

Reactions: bacon612

bacon612

Jan 9, 2012
Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet
OnePlus 8 Pro
FYI: For anyone wanting to use google pay, I needed this specific version of Universal Safetynet Fix:

Can confirm that this has been working for me

Reactions: Swap_File

bacon612

Jan 9, 2012
Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet
OnePlus 8 Pro

My Google Wallet stopped working yesterday. I tried the module you linked above but no luck. Mind sharing your other modules and or what you have in Magisk deny list?

Swap_File

Apr 12, 2016
Screenshot_2022-08-14-06-24-00-79_abda1a7a4467f31e4489777a9f2ae570.jpg
Screenshot_2022-08-14-06-22-52-68_abda1a7a4467f31e4489777a9f2ae570.jpg

You might need to clear the cache of Google play services, Google play store, and wallet after installing.
And you want to randomize the Magisk package name.

Note: When you clear wallet you'll need to re add your cards.

Reactions: bacon612

skr1p7k1dd

Dec 4, 2017
@Swap_File

Thanks for posting those! But for some reason I can't get this to work.
If I boot your patched file, my system boots but everything is haywire. Half of my apps instantly crash on launch, like the google play store. However, root works.
If I load your normal boot file, everything seems to work fine with no issue. Those same apps that crash work like normal.
If I use your patched boot file to temporarily boot to root & magisk-patch your boot file, the result patched boot file is exactly like your patched file (verified using CRC32).
Quick question: When you boot that magisk patched file does it work for you? via `fastboot boot xxx.img`

Any ideas what the hell could be going on here? My best guess is that the boot file you generated is slightly incorrect but still very functional, then when magisk patches it it breaks further.

Oneplus 8 Pro - IN2025 - OxygenOS12 C33

Also worth mentioning: I only got into this situation because the Magisk OTA root trick didn't work. Gahhh, now I gotta wait until a new full update comes out....

EDIT: If anyone helps me get out of this pickle (fix root without wiping) I'll tip you $5, serious

Last edited:

xtcislove

Jan 17, 2010
Gummersbach
OnePlus 8 Pro
@Swap_File

Thanks for posting those! But for some reason I can't get this to work.
If I boot your patched file, my system boots but everything is haywire. Half of my apps instantly crash on launch, like the google play store. However, root works.
If I load your normal boot file, everything seems to work fine with no issue. Those same apps that crash work like normal.
If I use your patched boot file to temporarily boot to root & magisk-patch your boot file, the result patched boot file is exactly like your patched file (verified using CRC32).
Quick question: When you boot that magisk patched file does it work for you? via `fastboot boot xxx.img`

Any ideas what the hell could be going on here? My best guess is that the boot file you generated is slightly incorrect but still very functional, then when magisk patches it it breaks further.

Oneplus 8 Pro - IN2025 - OxygenOS12 C33

Also worth mentioning: I only got into this situation because the Magisk OTA root trick didn't work. Gahhh, now I gotta wait until a new full update comes out....

EDIT: If anyone helps me get out of this pickle (fix root without wiping) I'll tip you $5, serious
install c33 via local update twice again to make sure everything is correct.
extract boot img with payload dumper on your pc
patch boot img with magisk on your phone

You can try to fastboot flash boot.img instead of fastboot boot but make sure you have a working boot img to flash later if it doesnt work

Reactions: Swap_File

Swap_File

Apr 12, 2016
But for some reason I can't get this to work.

Sounds like something went wrong with your update. The last time I tried to reflash Magisk from my phone during an incremental update I broke my entire OOS12 installation, and had to reinstall C16 (full), and update through C20 and C21 to get everything stable again.

skr1p7k1dd

Dec 4, 2017
>install c33 via local update twice again

I downloaded c33 again with the oxygen updater app, but I cannot select it for local upgrade in the system update app. Is there some other way to do a repeat install?

>Sounds like something went wrong with your update

Hmm, why do you think the update broke? It seems fully functional even though it doesn't have root. The only part that doesn't work is booting the supplied patched boot image, thats when half my apps suddenly break. I didn't flash it of course, I just did a temporary boot to try it out.

The only other thing I can think of is that my magisk installation somehow broke, so it getting root access again is causing the weird problems. I'm not certain on this though and not sure if it makes sense.

>and had to reinstall C16 (full), and update through C20 and C21 to get everything stable again.

Were you able to do this without wiping the device? I cant install c16 either because the system update says its a lower version and won't run it.

Swap_File

Apr 12, 2016
Were you able to do this without wiping the device? I cant install c16 either because the system update says its a lower version and won't run it.

Full wipe was the only way to make my device reliable after trying to flash magisk from my phone after an increment OTA update.

You could try removing magisk (the app, with all modules), and then booting the magisk boot img, and then installing magisk (the app), and see what happens.

skr1p7k1dd

Dec 4, 2017
You could try removing magisk (the app, with all modules), and then booting the magisk boot img, and then installing magisk (the app), and see what happens.
That sounds like my last option... it's worth a shot. If this doesn't work then I'm full wiping back to OOS10 to wash my hands of what Android has become.

BTW: when you boot that patched boot image you posted via `fastboot boot xxx.img`, does it work 100% correctly for you? And just to confirm you also have a Oneplus 8 Pro IN2025 with c33 installed?

Swap_File

Apr 12, 2016
My USA Oneplus 8 Pro (IN2025) with c33 is running smoothly fully rooted. I'm finding OOS12 OK with a replacement launcher (currently running AIO).

Minimally, I think your going to need to reinstall magisk, potentially the entire OS from C16. Incremental OTAs do not play nice with flashing from Magisk, every incremental update you have to remove magisk (unroot) and turn off all modules, reboot, run then update, then reflash the patched boot.img from your PC. If you try to flash it from the phone, all kinds of weird stuff starts happening.

skr1p7k1dd

Dec 4, 2017
Quick update, I got this working. As per the plan I disabled magisk (unchecked all modules & unchecked the zygist toggle in settings) and rebooted. Afterwards the previously broken apps were now unbroken.

Afterwards I systematically re-enabled things with reboots between steps to try and identify the breaking point.
-Reinstall magisk app
-Enable zygist
-Enable denylist
-Enable modules: ACC & Systemless Hosts
-Enable Universal Safetynet Fix 2.3.1 by kdrag0n
-Enable De-Bloater

After that last step the problem appeared again (oneplus wallpaper disappeared, google play crashes, various background app crashes), so this was definitely caused by that De-Bloater module. I uninstalled the module and voila, we're back in business boys. Thanks again for your boot.img dumps, @Swap_File

songko

Dec 22, 2006
I have a IN2025 on C.20, bootloader unlocked and rooted. I cannot get the c.33 update to work. It keeps failing whether I use the installer or the local installer. I've uninstalled Magisk. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Do I need to relock the bootloader?

skr1p7k1dd

Dec 4, 2017
I have a IN2025 on C.20, bootloader unlocked and rooted. I cannot get the c.33 update to work. It keeps failing whether I use the installer or the local installer. I've uninstalled Magisk. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Do I need to relock the bootloader?
When you uninstalled magisk, did you restore the original boot image? If the rooted boot image is set then the update will fail

zeromonarch

Dec 30, 2012
hey guys idk where else to ask this but will this post work for my oneplus 8?
specifically I have the t-mobile oneplus 8
I just unlocked the bootloader with the unlock token today
model is: IN2017
android version is: 12
software version: IN2017_11_C.41

id really like to have a rooted device again but im scared ill brick my phone XD

xtcislove

Jan 17, 2010
Gummersbach
OnePlus 8 Pro
hey guys idk where else to ask this but will this post work for my oneplus 8?
specifically I have the t-mobile oneplus 8
I just unlocked the bootloader with the unlock token today
model is: IN2017
android version is: 12
software version: IN2017_11_C.41

id really like to have a rooted device again but im scared ill brick my phone XD
If you extract the boot image from the update package IN2017_11_C.41 and patch it with magic its the same process. I dont think that you can use any image from this thread because they are for 8pro.

Anyway, what is the reason you dont look on the non pro forum?

Reactions: zeromonarch

zeromonarch

Dec 30, 2012
If you extract the boot image from the update package IN2017_11_C.41 and patch it with magic its the same process. I dont think that you can use any image from this thread because they are for 8pro.

Anyway, what is the reason you dont look on the non pro forum?

cause im dumb and didnt realize this was the pro section. thanks for pointing me to the right place

Reactions: xtcislove

bacon612

Jan 9, 2012
Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet
OnePlus 8 Pro
C33 Files are attached, enjoy.
Looks like C35 has dropped for in2011 and in2021

A reddit user is reporting that the video stutter has been fixed which would be nice. Looks like August security patch too. In2025 like usual, should be following

Top Liked Posts