How to root + recovery your Minix Neo X5 without a Comp

Search This thread

Artimis

Jan 18, 2010
This is for everyone that wants to easily root and install CWM on their Neo X5 without having to go through the hassle of hooking it up to a computer and downloading/installing 3rd party tools + drivers. So far, every tutorial I've come across suggests using a comp must be done so I thought it would be a good idea to write up how I accomplished this without all that hassle.

All steps below can be done directly from the device itself -- all you need is a file explorer and browser of your choice:

1) Download CWM for the Neo X5 here: http://androtab.info/clockworkmod/rockchip/rk3066/
2) Download a CWM compatible pre-rooted ROM of your choice. Top contenders are:

3) Using a file explorer of your choice, move the CWM recovery zip that you just downloaded in Step#1 to the root of your /sdcard directory and rename it "update.zip"

4) You should now automatically be prompted to install the update using the system's stock updater process -- Accept the update.

5) Your system should automatically install the update and should automatically boot into CWM when done.
5a) (Optional) Once in recovery you can make a nandroid backup of your current stock rom.

6) Using CWM, use the options to install a zip for /sdcard and select the zip for the ROM you downloaded in Step#2

7) After installation is done, go back to the main CWM menu. Select "Wipe Cache" and then:
7a) Recommended: "Wipe Data". This will wipe all your apps and settings but ensure that it is a clean install.
or
7b) "Advanced -> Wipe Dalvik Cache". This will preserve your data and is known as a dirty flash. It should work but there is always a risk of a bootloop upon reboot.​

8) Reboot the system and enjoy. You should now be rooted with CWM installed.

Credits:
- Finless Bob and onelovekir for their ROMs
- leolas for his tutorial on how to create a flashable CWM zip
- petrus for applying leolas' tutorial to the Finless 1.2b rom so I wouldn't have to :)
- _fun for porting CWM to the Neo X5
- Minix for creating an awesome device

Last edited:

Ray2013

Apr 13, 2013
In step 3 is the location the internal sd card or the external as I have been using the external sd card without success. On the pre installed explorer app the internal storage is called Flash so is this where I put it

Last edited:
Reactions: vadimbog69

Artimis

Jan 18, 2010
In step 3 is the location the internal sd card or the external as I have been using the external sd card without success. On the pre installed explorer app the internal storage is called Flash so is this where I put it

Internal sdcard (which should be labeled as /mnt/sdcard)

It won't work on the external card

Reactions: Ray2013
Apr 21, 2013
Ñemby
Boot problem.

I might have screwed my Neo G4.
Please help me.
I booted into CWM, and made a backup of my original firmware.
Then i formated system, cache and data, and wiped data/factory, cache and dalvick.
i tried to install a custom rom, but the instalation was aborted.
When i rebooted mi Neo G4, it never boot, only black screen.
How do i boot into CWM now?
I need that to restore the backup i made.
It is posible to build a bootable SD card for this device?
Thank you!

Bob Smith42

Jun 7, 2011
Please help me.
Then i formated system, cache and data, and wiped data/factory, cache and dalvick.
Thank you!

Here is something to consider. In this post on RockChip RK30 Common Bug - External SDcard Corruption! where finless bob talks about *writing* to the external SD card causing corruptions. But, I am wondering about this:

Format your sdcard using windows as FAT32 and copy the recovery update.zip to the root directory using windows or other. Then after you insert in the Neo G4 you will not be *writing* so you should not experience noted corruption attempting a recovery by only *reading* the files.

I read the OP comment that booting does not work from external sdcard. So, I am researching this now on my devices.

But, I do not know how to boot the device into recovery from black screen. Good luck with your research.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2013
Ñemby
If i had only restored my backup before i rebooted.
I hope TVE bootable sdcard work.
Thanks anyway.
Sent from my MB860 using xda app-developers app

Artimis

Jan 18, 2010
Please help me.
Thank you!

Holding the reset pin while powering up should boot you into recovery so you can restore your backup (or install a ROM after redownloading and verifying the MD5)

Reactions: tweetycontrabajo
Apr 21, 2013
Ñemby
OMG es working!
Restoring now!
Thank you so muchos guys.
I can't wait to try custom roms.
Can i flash x5 roms un my g4?
Where can i find custom roms? I want to try pi****u.

Artimis

Jan 18, 2010
OMG es working!
Restoring now!
Thank you so muchos guys.
I can't wait to try custom roms.
Can i flash x5 roms un my g4?
Where can i find custom roms? I want to try pi****u.

There is a version of the Kirkout ROM for the G4: http://minixforums.com/threads/rom-kirk-out-neo-x5-g4-4-1-1_0117-v-1-6.313/

I believe someone made an unofficial version port of the Finless ROM for the G4 as well on the same site. It is not officially supported though. I've been pretty happy with the Kirkout ROM on my X5 so I would suggest giving it a whirl.

Apr 21, 2013
Ñemby
Cool. Is there a remote control app forma that particular rom?
RK remote doesn't even work with old stock Firmware.

Last edited:

explodo

May 10, 2013
HDMI Signal not detected after update

I followed the instructions at the top of this thread to update the firmware of my Minix Neo X5 to the Finless 1.2b version (720 with airpin). Everything went as described but after rebooting in the last step I no longer get an HDMI signal from my Minix. I have tried my standard Samsung TV that worked fine before and also on my standard Acer computer screen without luck.

Does anyone have any idea about what might have happend and how I can get my Minix up and running again?

slimshotty

Jul 13, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
I followed the instructions at the top of this thread to update the firmware of my Minix Neo X5 to the Finless 1.2b version (720 with airpin). Everything went as described but after rebooting in the last step I no longer get an HDMI signal from my Minix. I have tried my standard Samsung TV that worked fine before and also on my standard Acer computer screen without luck.

Does anyone have any idea about what might have happend and how I can get my Minix up and running again?

I would start all over. Did you make a nandroid of your original ROM? Did fresh install or dirty? Worse case scenario you can restore the original ROM and then dirty flash.

Reactions: explodo

Artimis

Jan 18, 2010
Cool. Is there a remote control app forma that particular rom?
RK remote doesn't even work with old stock Firmware.

Sounds like maybe a problem with your phone.....I've used rkremote with stock, finless, and kirkout(which is what im currently using).

Are you able to boot into recovery by holding down the rest pin while powering up?

Reactions: explodo

explodo

May 10, 2013
I would start all over. Did you make a nandroid of your original ROM? Did fresh install or dirty? Worse case scenario you can restore the original ROM and then dirty flash.

I did not back up my original ROM. As I had no HDMI signal from the device I resorted to OTG Flashing. I tried to install Finless 1.2b using the Finless ROM flash tool (RKAndriodTool v1.35). I no longer got "No signal" message but just a black screen at booting, the same happened when I tried to boot into recovery. I tried both 720 and 1080 versions.
I did not dare to test with Kirk out from OTG as he clearly says that it is only for CWM.
I then tried to reinstall CWM-based Recovery with RKAndriodTool following the instructions on androtab. Still just got black screen when trying to boot into recovery.
I flashed one more time with RKAndriodTool using Finless 1.2b 720 with airpin. When I booted into recovery I noticed some white pixels flashing on the screen that I had not seen before. I left the device running and after a long time the Finless start image (Black droid) apeared but nothing more happened.
I Rebooted 2 times and finally now I'm up and running Finless. Im not shure if everythin is ok yet, I think everything seems a bit slow but I guess I will have to run it a bit to know for shure.

I'm glad that Minix has made such a sturdy device. I guess a lot of other devices would have been bricked by now with all the messing about I've been doing.

Apr 21, 2013
Ñemby
i was only able to use rk when i updated the minix firmware.
well, i'll give a try to finless. if remote don't work, i'll go back to minix firmware.
thank you

Artimis

Jan 18, 2010
A note on the RKRemote app, I believe WiFi on the X5 has to be enabled even if the device is connected via ethernet. I am pretty sure I read that somewhere.....can't test myself since I only have my device connected via WiFi (no LAN port in the room I have it in).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is for everyone that wants to easily root and install CWM on their Neo X5 without having to go through the hassle of hooking it up to a computer and downloading/installing 3rd party tools + drivers. So far, every tutorial I've come across suggests using a comp must be done so I thought it would be a good idea to write up how I accomplished this without all that hassle.

All steps below can be done directly from the device itself -- all you need is a file explorer and browser of your choice:

1) Download CWM for the Neo X5 here: http://androtab.info/clockworkmod/rockchip/rk3066/
    2) Download a CWM compatible pre-rooted ROM of your choice. Top contenders are:

3) Using a file explorer of your choice, move the CWM recovery zip that you just downloaded in Step#1 to the root of your /sdcard directory and rename it "update.zip"

4) You should now automatically be prompted to install the update using the system's stock updater process -- Accept the update.

5) Your system should automatically install the update and should automatically boot into CWM when done.
    5a) (Optional) Once in recovery you can make a nandroid backup of your current stock rom.

6) Using CWM, use the options to install a zip for /sdcard and select the zip for the ROM you downloaded in Step#2

7) After installation is done, go back to the main CWM menu. Select "Wipe Cache" and then:
    7a) Recommended: "Wipe Data". This will wipe all your apps and settings but ensure that it is a clean install.
    or
    7b) "Advanced -> Wipe Dalvik Cache". This will preserve your data and is known as a dirty flash. It should work but there is always a risk of a bootloop upon reboot.​

8) Reboot the system and enjoy. You should now be rooted with CWM installed.

Credits:
    - Finless Bob and onelovekir for their ROMs
    - leolas for his tutorial on how to create a flashable CWM zip
    - petrus for applying leolas' tutorial to the Finless 1.2b rom so I wouldn't have to :)
    - _fun for porting CWM to the Neo X5
    - Minix for creating an awesome device

Internal sdcard (which should be labeled as /mnt/sdcard)

It won't work on the external card
    If i had only restored my backup before i rebooted.
    I hope TVE bootable sdcard work.
    Thanks anyway.

I just read this thread and one guy says you get recovery by holding a pin in reset and plugging in power. I do not know, but you can try.

Good luck.
    Please help me.
    Thank you!

Holding the reset pin while powering up should boot you into recovery so you can restore your backup (or install a ROM after redownloading and verifying the MD5)