[HOW TO] Root Remix Mini

Search This thread

oncouch1

Oct 6, 2010
How do you do that? Can you share the changed update file?

/dev/tty.usbserial 115200
mount -o rw,remount /
mount -o rw,remount /system
mkdir /tmp
cd /system/bin
ln -s busybox-smp unzip
cd /data/local/tmp
cp /mnt/usbhost/Storage01/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip /data/local/tmp <- Double check zip's file name and try Storage02 if Storage01 does not work because it depends on which usb port you plug the flash drive in.
cp /mnt/usbhost/Storage01/update-binary /data/local/tmp

The red text was changed to represent the update file name

Link for firmware http://support.jide.com/hc/en-us/ar...-I-do-if-my-Remix-Mini-is-stuck-in-boot-loop-

Last edited:
Reactions: brutalv4

Poeta

Jan 18, 2010
Barcelos
OnePlus 10 Pro
mount -o rw,remount /
mkdir /tmp
cd /system/bin
ln -s busybox-smp unzip
cd /data/local/tmp
cp /mnt/usbhost/Storage01/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip /data/local/tmp <- Double check zip's file name and try Storage02 if Storage01 does not work because it depends on which usb port you plug the flash drive in.

The red text was changed to represent the update file name

Link for firmware http://support.jide.com/hc/en-us/ar...-I-do-if-my-Remix-Mini-is-stuck-in-boot-loop-

This use the uart port or USB port?

Vioner

May 30, 2012
In case if you have the 104 framing error:
Have your pins connected to booted Mini, then replug the USB converter and hit Connect in Coolterm

@unloseking2500
I think the above is worth adding to the OP. I almost gave up on this, because I thought it's Win 10 or my PL2032HX converter. Wasted quite some time as well :D

Other things worth mentioning is that you don't have to pry off the whole rubber to get access to the screws. You can just lift up the part where screw is and take it out.

Thanks for the guide! :)

Last edited:

garrlker

Feb 14, 2015
Would there be a way from this terminal to write an image of the contents of the storage to a usb drive so we could get a dump of the OS, file system, etc then use that to flash onto other remix minis to give them root?

Vioner

May 30, 2012
@garrlker
You mean using the data to make a flashable .zip for the stock recovery?
You could try that, but I never used the Mini recovery so it's hard to say.
If you know how Mini's recovery .zips should be structured, then I think it should be possible to root with a flashable package.
It still wouldn't require you to pull data from a rooted mini to get the flashable zip. You can always try flashing a supersu zip, but I doubt it will work.

garrlker

Feb 14, 2015
Hmm yeah I figured it was a long shot. I might look into once I get this thing working.

So far, I can read the serial out but i don't think it is sending my commands, or atleast when I type a command and send I'm not getting feedback. Typing reboot doesn't do a thing. I've made sure my TX and RX wires are both plugged in well, anything you recommend to try?

Vioner

May 30, 2012
What do you use for the connection? Which converter?
Did you follow all the steps showed in text and screenshots?

garrlker

Feb 14, 2015
Same converter that is in the original post.

I have some jumper pins that are a just barely too big to slide right in but I have shoved them into the pinholes on the remix mini with a small amount of force. They're in enough that they are standing on there own and I can move the mini around and they won't come out.

I followed the steps exactly.
When I type any linux command and send it I don't get an output, which leads me to believe my TX must not be hooked up, but I assume there is some handshake the converter must go through to start receiving bits.
So the TX would need to be hooked up.

If not then that would make sense, it's just displaying all bits of information that it receives and just thinks it's sending out input when it really isn't.

Any thoughts? I'm at a loss here.

Vioner

May 30, 2012
Do you have everything in Coolterm set as described in OP - significant part quoted below:?

6a. Click Options -> Serial Port -> Hit "Re-Scan Serial Ports" so it detects the appropriate port for serial converter. Mine is COM3.
9kg4zxbz6cgg2ci6g.jpg

- To find out, go to Device Manager -> Ports
9597b2w9nw5ti956g.jpg

6b. Select the right port. Then change the setting as in the picture:
9kg4zxbz6cgg2ci6g.jpg

6c. Go to tab Terminal -> Select Line Mode.
mcrlo3ttfu9d2sb6g.jpg

6d. Hit OK.

7. Power Remix mini up (make sure this happens or you will get serial 103 or 104 error code)

I attached my serial converter exactly the same way by forcing jumper pins in the Mini's connector holes.

Remember you are supposed to attach Rx-Tx, Tx-Rx, not Rx-Rx, Tx-Tx.

If the connection is right, then you should get output from Mini. If you don't, hit disconnect in Coolterm, reconnect the USB cable in your PC and then hit connect.

garrlker

Feb 14, 2015
Do you have everything in Coolterm set as described in OP - significant part quoted below:?

I attached my serial converter exactly the same way by forcing jumper pins in the Mini's connector holes.

Remember you are supposed to attach Rx-Tx, Tx-Rx, not Rx-Rx, Tx-Tx.

If the connection is right, then you should get output from Mini. If you don't, hit disconnect in Coolterm, reconnect the USB cable in your PC and then hit connect.

Yeah, i attached them right and I get output from the Mini atleast. It just seems like my TX might not be working if anything.
c107c1f715.png

If I type a command and send, the TX "light" on the bottom right of CoolTerm does like up for a split second. I don't know if it actually is able to tell if the data was sent or not, but it does light up.

Last edited:

Vioner

May 30, 2012
I understand that in Terminal settings you have Line mode selected?

If you send a "ls" command and it returns nothing then Mini definitely does not receive the transmission.
In that case, to make sure the connection is right, I can only recommend using a multimeter continuity test.
Put 1 test node at the Tx converter pin and 2nd node on the Rx Mini pin. Pin, not the cable/jumperwire.

garrlker

Feb 14, 2015
@Vioner, so I have my multimeter hooked up from serial TX -> Red Multimeter Node -> Black Multimeter Node -> Mini RX
When i write a command and hit send I am seeing a voltage spike(although it is negative somehow, im sure im hooking it up wrong).
If I send a big command you can see the multimeter spiking on voltage for seconds as coolterm sends it. But still, no command is giving me output.

If you want a picture let me know.

Vioner

May 30, 2012
@garrlker
Looks like the connection is just fine, so I'm pretty clueless :/ Not an experienced serial port user either, so can't be of much help.
It's always worth to try with a different PC to rule out drivers issue.
My converter is PL2032HX - a counterfeit of ProLific's converter. I had a problem with drivers for it in Win 10 x64, but in the end it works just fine.
@unloseking2500 maybe you can be of help as the thread author and user of exact same serial converter as @garrlker

dinh_duy

May 2, 2014
Saw a notification of UPDATE today while reboot (unsuccessful). A new update after a long time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

I have been going on xdadevelopers a lot and have received so much helpful information. Now, I decided to give in my contribution to the forum. This is my first tutorial so there might be some mistakes...please be easy on me. :D

The reason I write this tutorial is because I have not found a good one yet on the internet. Although this thread "Just rooted my remix mini" provided some information, but I feel like a more detailed tutorial would be appropriate. So here we go!

Success screenshot:
    pu4xx94jnb4q4ss6g.jpg

Credits: all credits goes to these two links and authors:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/remix/remix-mini/rooted-remix-mini-t3311736
    http://23pin.logdown.com/posts/435610-root-remix-mini

Requirements:

- Difficult level: Medium

- Tools:
    + Small screw driver
    + Scissors
    + A USB flash drive.
    + Thin metal wire.
    5f3nfwd6mpfp0ib6g.jpg

+ Serial Converter (I bought on Amazon.com)
    d1wble2bmbrx2o26g.jpg

- Software:
    + Appropriate driver for the serial converter. Mine is CP2102 driver. Download here. If your serial converter use PL2303 then download this driver. You can google for your specific driver as well.
    + CoolTerm. Download here
    + SuperSU. Download here

- A lot of patience. :p

Steps:

1. As you can see, I stripped the wire and cut it in small pieces. As long as it is metal wire, that's okay.
    d1wble2bmbrx2o26g.jpg

2. Open up the Remix Mini with a screw driver.

2a. Flip it up side down, and rip the rubber ring out. It's okay, it will still adhere to the case afterward. Once you ripped it out, you will see two screws holding the remix mini. Proceed unscrew them and gently take the case apart.
    bchb12mud496mlz6g.jpg

2b. Gently take the case apart:
    5gln8pfl55ba4bj6g.jpg

3. Connecting the serial converter to the board.
    3a. Plug the 3 metal wires into RX, TX, and GND cable endings of the serial converter.
    d1wble2bmbrx2o26g.jpg

3b. Connect the other ends of 3 mental wires into RX, TX, and GND of the board.
    4o8c4em9ue4darw6g.jpg

3c. Make sure connection as such: RX to TX, TX to RX, and GND to GND. This part took me a lot of patience because the wires kept falling off. So please try to keep them in place.

4. Install appropriate serial converter driver.

5. Plug the serial converter into PC.

6. Extract and open CoolTerm.

6a. Click Options -> Serial Port -> Hit "Re-Scan Serial Ports" so it detects the appropriate port for serial converter. Mine is COM3.
    9kg4zxbz6cgg2ci6g.jpg

- To find out, go to Device Manager -> Ports
    9597b2w9nw5ti956g.jpg

6b. Select the right port. Then change the setting as in the picture:
    9kg4zxbz6cgg2ci6g.jpg

Baudrate: 115200
    Data Bits: 8
    Parity: None
    Stop Bits: 1

6c. Go to tab Terminal -> Select Line Mode.
    mcrlo3ttfu9d2sb6g.jpg

6d. Hit OK.

7. Power Remix mini up (make sure this happens or you will get serial 103 or 104 error code)

8. Hit Connect button in CoolTerm.
    8a. If you have done everything correctly until here, texts will appear in CoolTerm as your Remix Mini booting up.
    8b. The texts will keep flowing up. Wait until you only see CPU readings. Then proceed to next step.

9. Download the UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip file. (Please double check the zip's file name. In my case, I am using SuperSU version 2.46)
    9a. Copy UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip file onto flash drive.
    9b. Extract the downloaded "UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip", from the extracted, go to META-INF/com/google/android/update-binary, copy "update-binary" file onto flash drive.
    9c. Make sure you have 2 files, UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip AND update-binary, on the flash drive.
    9d. Plug the flash drive to Remix Mini.

10. Commands: (copy each line and paste into CoolTerm)
    wy2vfzd3iw4d7vo6g.jpg

Code:
    mount -o rw,remount /
    mkdir /tmp
    cd /system/bin
    ln -s busybox-smp unzip
    cd /data/local/tmp
    cp /mnt/usbhost/Storage01/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip /data/local/tmp        [COLOR="Red"]<- Double check zip's file name and try Storage02 if Storage01 does not work because it depends on which usb port you plug the flash drive in. [/COLOR]
    cd /data/local/tmp
    sh update-binary 0 1 /data/local/tmp/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip
    reboot

11. Success. :victory::good::D

11a. Wait for Remix Mini booting up, optimizing app..and DONE! CONGRATS! You have now voided your Remix Mini's warranty and cannot receive OTA system update anymore.

I have not figured out how to update manually but please hit me up if anyone knows how.

11b. Download Root checker to verify.
    pu4xx94jnb4q4ss6g.jpg

GOOD LUCK!!!!!! :good:
    No it is not a joke, no it will not get easier. Jide made it clear they will not support rooting. The amount of support available is minimal so this is the way. Difficult not if you have done stuff like this before ( FTA satellite. Etc.) kingoroot and all other software has been proven NOT to work. Hardware hacking is the only way so far.

Note: first boot takes longer than factory. Be patient. Jide will know it has been hacked so no support for updates but the opportunity to customize was worth it for me.
    Major kudos, this is a true root method for all the hardware hackers out there. You've never truly "hacked" until you've tapped into a UART console. Very exciting!
    No it is not a joke, no it will not get easier. Jide made it clear they will not support rooting. The amount of support available is minimal so this is the way. Difficult not if you have done stuff like this before ( FTA satellite. Etc.) kingoroot and all other software has been proven NOT to work. Hardware hacking is the only way so far..

I also believe so. Grats on your success tho.

I have a question:-
    I have a Tronsmart Vega S95 Telos with Remix OS firmware (Amlogic S905/Mali-450mp5/2 Gb Samsung DDR3/16 Gb Samsung KLMAG2WEMB-B031 eMMC/Realtek RTL8211F Ethernet/Ampak AP6335 Wifi+BT 4.0/Genesis GL850G USB 2.0 hub/JMicron JM20329 USB 2.0 to SATA bridge).

I opened up the TV box and saw the pin holes for PL2303 interface. I tried connect my PL2303 cable with its driver on Mac OS. The connection was succesful, I saw the response in my terminal in the form of message feed. But, I can't go any further. I'm still new to PL2303 use and I don't know how to go from the message feed to issue some commands. Then I see your thread and I think now I got some hope.

My question (again) is:- Do you think I can use your method to root my Tronsmart S95 Telos (with Remix OS flashed and working)?
    Many thanks in advance.

PS. Here is the link to a photo of the S95 Telos board showing the PL2303 interface. The photo is not mine. I linked it from a guy tutoring the teardown, but my board looks exactly the same.
    (I'm a new XDA user so I can't attach a photo from outside link, sorry for inconvenience)
    www,cnx-software.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Tronsmart_Vega_S95_Telos_Board_Large,jpg
    Hi honestly I had never heard of your box. I am not sure if you can use the same software etc. If you could communicate with the box you should be able to hack it. That being said depending on cost you may want to leave it to someone with experience! Remix was 50 bucks so no big risk for me.

Thanks for reply. I don't think the method can hard brick my device any way. The box itself can be flashed via a PC program made by CPU manufacturer (Amlogic here) and I have both stock firmware and Remix OS firmware images. So I think it's gonna worth a try. Thanks any way for your comment.