[HOW TO] Root Remix Mini

Search This thread

dinh_duy

May 2, 2014
Found 2.0.807 ota update but can not update. Unrooted but still not successful.
Fingerprint error (recovery error?) as the pic.

IMG_5398.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dinh_duy

May 2, 2014
Successfully updated by flash ota zip file manually. Gonna root 2.0.807 tomorrow.
No info about fix or improvement.

scotyard

Sep 13, 2012
Yes. Just follow the guide step by step. Nothing changes until now.

Does the model works for newer model, I have RM1G model with 2Gb RAM but having a tough time to root the device.

Unable to get the root prompt. Entering the commands lead to no response.

4llerbuntu

All those android exploits whe keep hearing about, but rooting the remix mini or making a custom rom for it is like mission impossible.

wonderful.

I've been dreaming of flashing a port of Android TV to my Mini. Now even Jide has abandoned the box forever. sad

Vioner

May 30, 2012
Rooting Mini is very easy, but you need to invest few bucks.

No chance for a proper custom ROM unless there are some open source ROMs/drivers for this SoC.

4llerbuntu

Rooting Mini is very easy, but you need to invest few bucks.

No chance for a proper custom ROM unless there are some open source ROMs/drivers for this SoC.

You mean the UART method?

Its too advanced for me, besides i doubt if i could get to buy such things in my country.

any other method that doesn't require opening the box or soldering anything, i'm ok with. i do root my phones and i've never had to do so much stress just to

Vioner

May 30, 2012
@4llerbuntu
I've bought a USB -> UART cable for 50 cents, some connector pins for 5 cents and that's all I needed. It took me 10mins to take the mini apart, make the connection with the pins and the cable, get the uart terminal app and send the commands.

I assure you, there are UART USB cables all over the world.

It's actually even simpler and faster than rooting Android phones from 2010. These were hard to root.

4llerbuntu

@4llerbuntu
I've bought a USB -> UART cable for 50 cents, some connector pins for 5 cents and that's all I needed. It took me 10mins to take the mini apart, make the connection with the pins and the cable, get the uart terminal app and send the commands.

I assure you, there are UART USB cables all over the world.

It's actually even simpler and faster than rooting Android phones from 2010. These were hard to root.

is this ok for the job? https://www.konga.com/usb-to-uart-5-pin-cp2102-module-serial-converter-1988801

do i have to strip the other ends to connect it to the board?

kevxes

Jun 29, 2017
when you finish rooting remix mini, can you install sound mod like viper4android or arise?

brettammons

Apr 4, 2009
I have several remix minis and am wanting a raspberry pi to network my 3d printer. If I was able to root it, could the os for the pi be flashed to the remix?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

I have been going on xdadevelopers a lot and have received so much helpful information. Now, I decided to give in my contribution to the forum. This is my first tutorial so there might be some mistakes...please be easy on me. :D

The reason I write this tutorial is because I have not found a good one yet on the internet. Although this thread "Just rooted my remix mini" provided some information, but I feel like a more detailed tutorial would be appropriate. So here we go!

Success screenshot:
    pu4xx94jnb4q4ss6g.jpg

Credits: all credits goes to these two links and authors:
    http://xdaforums.com/remix/remix-mini/rooted-remix-mini-t3311736
    http://23pin.logdown.com/posts/435610-root-remix-mini

Requirements:

- Difficult level: Medium

- Tools:
    + Small screw driver
    + Scissors
    + A USB flash drive.
    + Thin metal wire.
    5f3nfwd6mpfp0ib6g.jpg

+ Serial Converter (I bought on Amazon.com)
    d1wble2bmbrx2o26g.jpg

- Software:
    + Appropriate driver for the serial converter. Mine is CP2102 driver. Download here. If your serial converter use PL2303 then download this driver. You can google for your specific driver as well.
    + CoolTerm. Download here
    + SuperSU. Download here

- A lot of patience. :p

Steps:

1. As you can see, I stripped the wire and cut it in small pieces. As long as it is metal wire, that's okay.
    d1wble2bmbrx2o26g.jpg

2. Open up the Remix Mini with a screw driver.

2a. Flip it up side down, and rip the rubber ring out. It's okay, it will still adhere to the case afterward. Once you ripped it out, you will see two screws holding the remix mini. Proceed unscrew them and gently take the case apart.
    bchb12mud496mlz6g.jpg

2b. Gently take the case apart:
    5gln8pfl55ba4bj6g.jpg

3. Connecting the serial converter to the board.
    3a. Plug the 3 metal wires into RX, TX, and GND cable endings of the serial converter.
    d1wble2bmbrx2o26g.jpg

3b. Connect the other ends of 3 mental wires into RX, TX, and GND of the board.
    4o8c4em9ue4darw6g.jpg

3c. Make sure connection as such: RX to TX, TX to RX, and GND to GND. This part took me a lot of patience because the wires kept falling off. So please try to keep them in place.

4. Install appropriate serial converter driver.

5. Plug the serial converter into PC.

6. Extract and open CoolTerm.

6a. Click Options -> Serial Port -> Hit "Re-Scan Serial Ports" so it detects the appropriate port for serial converter. Mine is COM3.
    9kg4zxbz6cgg2ci6g.jpg

- To find out, go to Device Manager -> Ports
    9597b2w9nw5ti956g.jpg

6b. Select the right port. Then change the setting as in the picture:
    9kg4zxbz6cgg2ci6g.jpg

Baudrate: 115200
    Data Bits: 8
    Parity: None
    Stop Bits: 1

6c. Go to tab Terminal -> Select Line Mode.
    mcrlo3ttfu9d2sb6g.jpg

6d. Hit OK.

7. Power Remix mini up (make sure this happens or you will get serial 103 or 104 error code)

8. Hit Connect button in CoolTerm.
    8a. If you have done everything correctly until here, texts will appear in CoolTerm as your Remix Mini booting up.
    8b. The texts will keep flowing up. Wait until you only see CPU readings. Then proceed to next step.

9. Download the UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip file. (Please double check the zip's file name. In my case, I am using SuperSU version 2.46)
    9a. Copy UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip file onto flash drive.
    9b. Extract the downloaded "UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip", from the extracted, go to META-INF/com/google/android/update-binary, copy "update-binary" file onto flash drive.
    9c. Make sure you have 2 files, UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip AND update-binary, on the flash drive.
    9d. Plug the flash drive to Remix Mini.

10. Commands: (copy each line and paste into CoolTerm)
    wy2vfzd3iw4d7vo6g.jpg

Code:
    /dev/tty.usbserial 115200
    mount -o rw,remount /
    mount -o rw,remount /system
    mkdir /tmp
    cd /system/bin
    ln -s busybox-smp unzip
    cd /data/local/tmp
    cp /mnt/usbhost/Storage01/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip /data/local/tmp        [COLOR="Red"]<- Double check zip's file name and try Storage02 if Storage01 does not work because it depends on which usb port you plug the flash drive in. [/COLOR]
    cp /mnt/usbhost/Storage01/update-binary /data/local/tmp
    cd /data/local/tmp
    sh update-binary 0 1 /data/local/tmp/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip
    reboot

11. Success. :victory::good::D

11a. Wait for Remix Mini booting up, optimizing app..and DONE! CONGRATS! You have now voided your Remix Mini's warranty and cannot receive OTA system update anymore.

I have not figured out how to update manually but please hit me up if anyone knows how.

11b. Download Root checker to verify.
    pu4xx94jnb4q4ss6g.jpg

GOOD LUCK!!!!!! :good:
    No it is not a joke, no it will not get easier. Jide made it clear they will not support rooting. The amount of support available is minimal so this is the way. Difficult not if you have done stuff like this before ( FTA satellite. Etc.) kingoroot and all other software has been proven NOT to work. Hardware hacking is the only way so far.

Note: first boot takes longer than factory. Be patient. Jide will know it has been hacked so no support for updates but the opportunity to customize was worth it for me.
    Major kudos, this is a true root method for all the hardware hackers out there. You've never truly "hacked" until you've tapped into a UART console. Very exciting!
    No it is not a joke, no it will not get easier. Jide made it clear they will not support rooting. The amount of support available is minimal so this is the way. Difficult not if you have done stuff like this before ( FTA satellite. Etc.) kingoroot and all other software has been proven NOT to work. Hardware hacking is the only way so far..

I also believe so. Grats on your success tho.

I have a question:-
    I have a Tronsmart Vega S95 Telos with Remix OS firmware (Amlogic S905/Mali-450mp5/2 Gb Samsung DDR3/16 Gb Samsung KLMAG2WEMB-B031 eMMC/Realtek RTL8211F Ethernet/Ampak AP6335 Wifi+BT 4.0/Genesis GL850G USB 2.0 hub/JMicron JM20329 USB 2.0 to SATA bridge).

I opened up the TV box and saw the pin holes for PL2303 interface. I tried connect my PL2303 cable with its driver on Mac OS. The connection was succesful, I saw the response in my terminal in the form of message feed. But, I can't go any further. I'm still new to PL2303 use and I don't know how to go from the message feed to issue some commands. Then I see your thread and I think now I got some hope.

My question (again) is:- Do you think I can use your method to root my Tronsmart S95 Telos (with Remix OS flashed and working)?
    Many thanks in advance.

PS. Here is the link to a photo of the S95 Telos board showing the PL2303 interface. The photo is not mine. I linked it from a guy tutoring the teardown, but my board looks exactly the same.
    (I'm a new XDA user so I can't attach a photo from outside link, sorry for inconvenience)
    www,cnx-software.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Tronsmart_Vega_S95_Telos_Board_Large,jpg
    Hi honestly I had never heard of your box. I am not sure if you can use the same software etc. If you could communicate with the box you should be able to hack it. That being said depending on cost you may want to leave it to someone with experience! Remix was 50 bucks so no big risk for me.

Thanks for reply. I don't think the method can hard brick my device any way. The box itself can be flashed via a PC program made by CPU manufacturer (Amlogic here) and I have both stock firmware and Remix OS firmware images. So I think it's gonna worth a try. Thanks any way for your comment.