• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How to root Samsung Galaxy X Cover 4s Enterprise Edition (SM-G398F)

Search This thread

StashekM

Feb 10, 2021
that's mean the patched boot was not flashed or not patched.
try redo step B)
if you have a error, tell me what it says

if you want to pass that step try flash this .tar insteax ( european firmware not sure if work on another model )
Well,I use ODIN put it on AP ,it ,pass good,and now want factory reset,but Im waiting to start the operation screeen show just samsung...will see,I still have a hope that after this operation I put Magisk ,but tell me please what I have to put Magisk,or Magisk Manager,cos how can use root option and start clean my phone from garbage?You did a lot for me bro,thanks a lot,if uou have some problems with Windows 10 ,just tell me,and I give you my word that tnever mind what is it ,the problem wiil be resolve!!!!!CHEERS!!!!You are the best,thanks so much for your attention to me!!!!!Keep going!All the best!

StashekM

Feb 10, 2021
Well,I use ODIN put it on AP ,it ,pass good,and now want factory reset,but Im waiting to start the operation screeen show just samsung...will see,I still have a hope that after this operation I put Magisk ,but tell me please what I have to put Magisk,or Magisk Manager,cos how can use root option and start clean my phone from garbage?You did a lot for me bro,thanks a lot,if uou have some problems with Windows 10 ,just tell me,and I give you my word that tnever mind what is it ,the problem wiil be resolve!!!!!CHEERS!!!!You are the best,thanks so much for your attention to me!!!!!Keep going!All the best!
NO ERRORS!!!GREAT JOB YOU DID!!!THANKS!MY LAST QUESTION NOW DUDE IS HOW TO DEINSTAL GARBAGE,...I do not need for example One Drive,Game Launcher and other things,but the only option,which show me the phone is deactivation

Last edited:

josselin2196

Nov 26, 2020
NO ERRORS!!!GREAT JOB YOU DID!!!THANKS!MY LAST QUESTION NOW DUDE IS HOW TO DEINSTAL GARBAGE,...I do not need for example One Drive,Game Launcher and other things,but the only option,which show me the phone is deactivation
Congrat!!!
you can use this app:

i suggest to delete app five by five and reboot between each delete.
Be careful to not delete samsung pay ( phone will go lock )
if you uninstall google service, you can use microg instead for kept notification ( i can share tuto if needed)
if you want to use bluetooth, you need to install a patch in magisk manager
if you delete the basic app ( contact, phone...) you can get free privacy open source equivalent in F-Droid store.

• Love
Reactions: StashekM

StashekM

Feb 10, 2021
Congrat!!!
you can use this app:

i suggest to delete app five by five and reboot between each delete.
Be careful to not delete samsung pay ( phone will go lock )
if you uninstall google service, you can use microg instead for kept notification ( i can share tuto if needed)
if you want to use bluetooth, you need to install a patch in magisk manager
if you delete the basic app ( contact, phone...) you can get free privacy open source equivalent in F-Droid store.
I did it bro,only one thing really boring me,which of system pay apps are dangerous and I dont have to "touch"them?I allready lock my phone twice,and should to start tha whole process again!Is there somewhere a list with samsung pay ads which are ''forbidden'' to uninstall?Thanks in advance.By the way,do not remember,if you got problems with your Windows 10 ,just ask for feedback me,and I will resolve troubles!!!At least with last cumulative up already 30% of users receive blue screen of death cos printers and computer started "war" between them :)Keep Going!!!Cheers!

xzoli8

Feb 2, 2015
All Steps necessary for rooting XCOVER 4S

( you need ODIN to be installed )

A) Unlock OEM
1)Unlock Developper option
a) Go to Settings and go to 'About phone' -> 'Software information'.
b) Continuously tap 7 times on the ‘Build number’ to enable the Developer Options.

2) If your phone is new, OEM option will not appear since samsung hide this option until one month after
system first use.
To get this option you have to:
a) Go to 'Settings'
b) Next, go to 'General Management' and tap on 'Date and Time'.
c) Turn off the 'Automatic date and time'. The manual date and time settings should appear now.
d) Tap on 'Set date' and select a date which is at least more than one month prior to the current date.
e) Go to 'Settings' -> 'Developer options' and turn off 'Auto update system'.
f) Next, go back to the settings screen and tap on 'Software update'.
g) Turn off the 'Download updates automatically' option and then tap on 'Download updates manually'.
h) Finally, reboot your phone to fix missing OEM unlock issue.

3) Go to 'Settings' -> 'Developer options' and unlock OEM

4) Repeat step 1) and 2) if the phone make a factory reset

5) Now come the tricky part, Samsung have two different Download Mode, the classic one and a unlocker mod, to access this mod you have to:
a) Open Odin on your computer
b) Connect your USB cable to the computer only
c) Turn off your phone
d) Press Volum Down and home button and connect the USB cable to the phone
e) you should see a menu for unlocking ( keep presing vol up if i remember corectly
f) now OEM is unlock

B) Prepare Rooting
1) Find your phone ROM
b) Check your phone PDA number ( G398 something )
c) Download your ROM (https://samfw.com/firmware/SM-G398FN)

2) Install modified ZZip ( https://github.com/mcmilk/7-zip-zstd/releases )

3) Get Boot.img.
a) Uncompress your Rom. You Should Have this files:
- AP_Something.tar.md5
- BL_Something.tar.md5
- CP_Something.tar.md5
- CSC_Something.tar.md5
- Home_Something.tar.md5
Only AP will be use
b) Extract AP_Something.tar.md5 with ZZip
c) You should have boot.img.lz4
c) Uncompress Boot.img.lz4 with ZZip
d) You have the file boot.img

4) Put the boot.img into the download folder of your phone

5) Magisk boot Patch
a) Install Magisk manager on your phone: https://magisk.me/
b) Open magisk and tap install button
c) In the option menu let recovery mod unchecked
d) tap next
e) Choose select filed
f) Select boot.img in your download Folder
g) Magisk will patch the boot.img and make another magisk_Something.img next to it.
h) Take the magisk patched boot to your computer.

C) Root the phone
1) Compress boot.img into a .tar archive with ZZip
2) Open Odin
4) Check AP and choose the boot.tar
5) Go into Download mode same method as step A.5
6) Hit Start to flash.
7) When it's over reboot you phone
8) Open magisk and let it to his things

ET VOILA, you have a rooted phone
Great explanation and it works, very very helpful, thanks a lot.

• Love
Reactions: StashekM

xzoli8

Feb 2, 2015

A) Unlock OEM
b) Continuously tap 7 times on the ‘Build number’ to enable the Developer Options.

2) If your phone is new, OEM option will not appear since samsung hide this option until one month after
system first use.
a) Go to 'Settings'
c) Turn off the 'Automatic date and time'. The manual date and time settings should appear now.
d) Tap on 'Set date' and select a date which is at least more than one month prior to the current date.
g) Turn off the 'Download updates automatically' option and then tap on 'Download updates manually'.

5) Now come the tricky part, Samsung have two different Download Mode, the classic one and a unlocker mod, to access this mod you have to:
c) Turn off your phone
e) you should see a menu for unlocking ( keep presing vol up if i remember corectly
f) now OEM is unlock

B) Prepare Rooting
1) Find your phone ROM

3) Get Boot.img.
- AP_Something.tar.md5
- BL_Something.tar.md5
- CP_Something.tar.md5
- CSC_Something.tar.md5
- Home_Something.tar.md5
Only AP will be use

5) Magisk boot Patch
d) tap next
e) Choose select filed
g) Magisk will patch the boot.img and make another magisk_Something.img next to it.
i) Rename the Something.img to boot.img file again.
!Note: If you don't do this way the installation with Odin will fail or stuck, but this way Pass the installation!
C) Root the phone
2) Open Odin
5) Go into Download mode with message "Downloading..."/"Do not turn off target"
6) Hit Start to flash.
7) When it's over your phone will reboots itself
!Note: If some kind of reason after the successful installation the OS doesn't start and stucked in recovery mode as mine did use Hard reset a.k. Wipe data/factory reset option, the phone will reset completely itself but doesn't loose the OEM unlock and patched/rooted boot.img configuration.
8) Open magisk and let it to his things.
9) To ensure about the successful of the rooting process when the phone boots up under the Logo will appear a yellow exclamation mark with a red text "The phone is not runing Samsung's official software..." another sign the Magisk modules will become available and you can install it.
10) Good luck everybody for a successfully rooting process!

xzoli8

Feb 2, 2015
All Steps necessary for rooting XCOVER 4S (tested and updated by xzoli8)

A) Unlock OEM

system first use.

a) Go to 'Settings'

c) Turn off your phone

f) now OEM is unlock

B) Prepare Rooting

1) Find your phone ROM

2) Install modified 7-Zip ( https://github.com/mcmilk/7-zip-zstd/releases )

3) Get Boot.img.

- AP_Something.tar.md5

- BL_Something.tar.md5

- CP_Something.tar.md5

- CSC_Something.tar.md5

- Home_Something.tar.md5

Only AP will be use

b) Extract AP_Something.tar.md5 with 7-Zip

c) Uncompress Boot.img.lz4 with 7-Zip

5) Magisk boot Patch

d) tap next

e) Choose select filed

i) Rename the Something.img to boot.img file again.

!Note: If you don't do this way the installation with Odin will fail or stuck, but this way Pass the installation!

C) Root the phone

1) Compress boot.img into a .tar archive with 7-Zip

2) Open Odin

5) Go into Download mode with message "Downloading..."/"Do not turn off target"

6) Hit Start to flash.

7) When it's over your phone will reboots itself

!Note: If some kind of reason after the successful installation the OS doesn't start and stucked in recovery mode as mine did use Try again or Hard reset a.k. Wipe data/factory reset option, the phone will reset completely itself but doesn't loose the OEM unlock and patched/rooted boot.img configuration.

8) Open magisk and let it do his things.

9) To ensure about the successful of the rooting process when the phone boots up under the Logo will appear a yellow exclamation mark with a red text "The phone is not runing Samsung's official software..." another sign the Magisk modules will become available and you can install them.

10) Good luck everybody for a successfully rooting process mine worked after I updated josselin2196's topic, thank you for his support!

Unlocked_bootloader.jpg
Rooted_phone_1.jpg
Rooted_Phone_2.jpg
Rooted_phone_3.jpg
Samsung-Download-Mode.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: josselin2196

StashekM

Feb 10, 2021
Hello dude!!!You are the best so Ive got one question to you,at the moment my bootloader is allready 11,how can I return android version with bootloader 10,at this moment using odin it show me erros cos my bootloader ia allready 11,is ther any tip or trick, i using version XEO which is the latest,but i want to try return OS back.Thanks in advance!!!!

akin03

Aug 25, 2013
Hi with each other there is a possibility to root the Xcover5.. Sorry, the above manual does not work. The device has a bootloop and restarts after 2 min. The device has android 11 with ui 3.1. I ask for help.

StashekM

Feb 10, 2021
Guys...Im confused,please tell me how to clean recovery logs history from my Samsung XCover 4s????/Thanks in advance!I"ve tried via factory reset,but my phone is unlocked,and rooted ,and no possitive results.Ive got more than 10 recovery logs in history in mu phone!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guide to root XCover 4S

If you want to root your XCover 4S (enterprise or not), follow these steps:

1. First of all, BACK UP your data!
    2. Download ROOT (AP) file. You find download link(s) below.
    3. Update your phone to the latest firmware if you don't have it already.
    4. Enable developer options. To do that, open settings, scroll down and tap on "about phone" option. Then tap on "software information". Now tap continuously on build number until developer option is enabled. Now developer option will appear on the settings menu.
    5. Activate OEM-Unlock AND USB debugging. To do that, go to settings, scroll down and tap on "Developer options". Then tap "OEM unlocking" and "USB debugging" to ON. After that, reboot your phone to the download mode. Make sure your phone IS connected to the PC via usb-cable! To reboot download mode, press (POWER) + VOL DOWN + HOME buttons. Then choose "Device unlock mode" by pressing long(!) VOL UP and follow instructions.
    6. When you are ready, go again to the download mode. Choose this time "Continue" button by pressing "VOL UP" button only once!
    7. Open Odin (v3.13.1).
    8. Press "AP" button and choose that ROOT file you just download.
    9. Then start (It doesn't matter do you auto reboot or not, this will work anyway).
    10. After Odin passes, reboot your phone manually to recovery mode by pressing (POWER) + VOL UP + HOME buttons or just wait if you have "auto reboot" setting tickled via ODIN.
    11. If you manually reboot your phone to recovery, do wipe data/factory reset. If you reboot "automatically", your phone ask to do that anyway.
    12. After all you get to the system. Download and install magic manager!
    13. That's it, your device is rooted!

Download links:

https://sabercathost.com/meaF/XCover4S_ROOT_AP_9.0.tar
    or
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_Hqjdg_QYuhuDguB5bt3KBrnJb_JEVWK

Sorry my bad english! :)
    I created a Root AP flash file for Android 10. Tested it on my Xcover 4s with Android 10 and DBT(Germany) CSC.
    Here is the download link: https://mega.nz/file/b1gQnCLT#70beJUjwQVy-PG573zxZvRI5TL86ZTpq70DvKfo7xGc
    Hey there,

is there a way to root a Samsung Galaxy X Cover 4s (SM-G398F)?
    The phone is from June 2019 and runs Android 9.0.

I haven't found anything on the forum.

Here's a link to the Samsung website:
    https://www.samsung.com/de/smartphones/galaxy-xcover-4s-g398-enterprise-edition/SM-G398FZKDE28/

Thanks in advance,
    Paddy
    Ok, I finally manage to root my phone! thanks!

I have two question :
    - is it possible to re-lock the boot loader to don't have anymore the message that your bootloader is unlock when I start my phone?
    - how to un-root?

Thank you again for the procedure.
    Do NOT relock the bootloader!

If you lock the bootloader while the device is not fully stock, it will be a brick.

To unroot, you need to flash your stock ROM again. The method of installing root used does not create a backup of the stock images so Magisk can not unroot itself in this case.
    im not able to unlock my OEM and nootloader never mind that I follow all instructions....what i have to do,I really need help guys,when Im tryied to root my device on download mode show me message that OEM is lock.Damn!!!!

A) Unlock OEM

system first use.
    a) Go to 'Settings'

c) Turn off your phone
    f) now OEM is unlock

B) Prepare Rooting
    1) Find your phone ROM

3) Get Boot.img.
    - AP_Something.tar.md5
    - BL_Something.tar.md5
    - CP_Something.tar.md5
    - CSC_Something.tar.md5
    - Home_Something.tar.md5
    Only AP will be use

5) Magisk boot Patch
    d) tap next
    e) Choose select filed

C) Root the phone
    2) Open Odin
    5) Go into Download mode same method as step A.5
    6) Hit Start to flash.
    7) When it's over reboot you phone
    8) Open magisk and let it to his things