How To Guide How to root SM-X200

Search This thread

Ar-Pharazon

Oct 27, 2013
I do them on Linux, but they can also work on WinBlows. Since I do not use M$ products, I can only say I've seen those commands work on WinBlows, but can't say how to set that up.

I also can't help you with 7zip, it can run on Linux, but never use it myself.

People have problems when they don't use "real" tar, so don't. Save yourself the pain.

You do not need to convert the .tar to a .tar.md5. Odin will use either file type. A .tar.md5 file is a .tar file with its md5 hash appended. Odin can use the file to verify the .tar integrity, but that is optional.
Odin "stops working" when I try to use the re-tarred AP file as .tar.tar or .tar and won't load it if I change it to tar.md5 (md5 error! Binary is invalid). That AP file loads way too quickly anyway, the AP load usually makes Odin go to "not responding" for a couple minutes.

I'll see if I can make your process work on Windows.

Man I hate Samsung more today than yesterday.

ETA: I tried making the .tar with WinZip instead of 7zip. It kept a WinZip icon on the file and seemed to go through the Odin process too quickly, but now ADB is actually showing more apps instead of just .com stuff.

Still not actually rooted.

Last edited:

garyemiller

Oct 8, 2011
Bend, OR
Odin "stops working" when I try to use the re-tarred AP file as .tar.tar or .tar and won't load it if I change it to tar.md5 (md5 error! Binary is invalid). That AP file loads way too quickly anyway, the AP load usually makes Odin go to "not responding" for a couple minutes.

I'll see if I can make your process work on Windows.

Man I hate Samsung more today than yesterday.

ETA: I tried making the .tar with WinZip instead of 7zip. It kept a WinZip icon on the file and seemed to go through the Odin process too quickly, but now ADB is actually showing more apps instead of just .com stuff.

Still not actually rooted.
"Stops working"? The tar file is large, and it takes Odin quite a long time to process it. Give it a few minutes.

As I said before, use the "real" tar.

Ar-Pharazon

Oct 27, 2013
"Stops working"? The tar file is large, and it takes Odin quite a long time to process it. Give it a few minutes.

As I said before, use the "real" tar.
Absolutely, the stock firmware AP file does the same thing, but eventually loads in there.

"Stopped Working" is Windows for "no mas". Replace the app name here with Odin.exe. Did it repeatedly.
program_has_stopped_working_error.png

Tofor

May 18, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Tab A8
Absolutely, the stock firmware AP file does the same thing, but eventually loads in there.

"Stopped Working" is Windows for "no mas". Replace the app name here with Odin.exe. Did it repeatedly.
View attachment 5639295
Did you click on the application at all while it was processing the AP file? By that I mean anywhere on or within the ODIN box for the application? Doing so will cause such an error. The best thing to do is just let it sit until it finishes processing. However if you rename the file from its .tar.md5 name and simply remove the .mp5 so it reads only .tar at the end of the AP file it should process the file almost instantly.

Tofor

May 18, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Tab A8
Did you click on the application at all while it was processing the AP file? By that I mean anywhere on or within the ODIN box for the application? Doing so will cause such an error. The best thing to do is just let it sit until it finishes processing. However if you rename the file from its .tar.md5 name and simply remove the .mp5 so it reads only .tar at the end of the AP file it should process the file almost instantly.
Also. You do not want it to be a .tar.tar file. That confuses the system. You can't tar a file twice. Either open the archive using 7zip and rename the file inside and remove the .tar at the end of the name or rename the main file itself so ot only reads .tar and not .tar.tar that should fix your error with Odin. Willing to bet that it tries to unzip the file twice which is not what it is programmed to do.

Tofor

May 18, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Tab A8
I tried to port a TWRP recovery for this tablet but it is my first attempt and I was following a guide that explained how to do it using a pre-treble twrp which is missing a lot of the partitions and stuff. It flashed but only booted back into download mode. I am going to give it another shot later on my next day off from work and use the A7's twrp recovery as the base instead of one of the pre-treble versions. Wish me luck. I'm not sure if the files you move from the stock recovery and replace in the twrp one are the same or if I will need to copy more than what is required with a pre-treble version.

superliukang2020

Jun 28, 2022
I still cannot get root. I DL-ed all the files, used 7zip to extract all of them into their own folders. inside the AP folder i see the AP.xxx.tar.md5, i used 7zip to extract that into its own folder, inside that folder i see the meta data folder along with all different files, i see the boot file, not boot.img. I send that boot file to my tablet, used magisk to patch and send it back to my PC. i renamed as boot.img then the first try is with 7zip to tar just that file, then ODIN, no root, 2nd try replaced the patched boot.img inside the AP folder and delete the boot file, then 7zip to tar then ODIN, i get the not responding error and ODIN would close. 3rd try by make a folder called "AP" then put the patch boot.img in it, then tar, then ODIN, it would flash just like the first try but still no root. any other suggestions? TIA

NickMatto

Jun 19, 2022
I am the fourth of this miserable queue. A detailed step by step guide (Linux only, of course) would be much appreciated. Many thanks, a really good job for the time being!

Ajay.kumar39

Jul 15, 2022
The tar file worried me. It had file names like ./boot.img instead of boot.img. So I created a new file, with the patched boot.img, this way:

cd AP_folder
tar -cvf ../AP_patched.tar *

Then flashed that. Took longer than the previous tar.

On reboot, it asks me to press PWR to accept boot loader unlocked. Then a splash screen saying: unapproved software, then a few boot loops.

I got to recovery, factory reset, the tablet does the LONG boot, does the initial setup thing.

Install Magisk Manager, and root! Google Play still works.

Whoopee! I can now wait for a working TWRP.
This worked for me, with the latest firmware `X205XXU1AVC1/X205ODM1AVF2/X205XXU1AVC2` Thanks for the help buddy. btw I m using SM-X205. Many people might be having issues with same, This should be the best fix. the trick lies while using the software for compressing to .tar

Reactions: neuron617

Fussel5000

Nov 5, 2017
I tried to port a TWRP recovery for this tablet but it is my first attempt and I was following a guide that explained how to do it using a pre-treble twrp which is missing a lot of the partitions and stuff. It flashed but only booted back into download mode. I am going to give it another shot later on my next day off from work and use the A7's twrp recovery as the base instead of one of the pre-treble versions. Wish me luck. I'm not sure if the files you move from the stock recovery and replace in the twrp one are the same or if I will need to copy more than what is required with a pre-treble version.
does anyone know if a TWRP is already being developed for the samsung A8 sm-x200

pshooner

May 28, 2015
Gatineau
Hmmm I'm guessing this would not work for the SM-X200
It did for me. I patched the boot.img partition from my original firmware from Sammobile using Magisk 25.1 (use adb to transfer the file back and forth, MTP transfer via Windows sometimes corrupts big files), tarred it as boot.tar (no compression) and transferred it back to the SM-X200 using only the AP slot in Odin. Then factory reset, reboot and done.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The tar file worried me. It had file names like ./boot.img instead of boot.img. So I created a new file, with the patched boot.img, this way:

cd AP_folder

On reboot, it asks me to press PWR to accept boot loader unlocked. Then a splash screen saying: unapproved software, then a few boot loops.

I got to recovery, factory reset, the tablet does the LONG boot, does the initial setup thing.

This worked for me, with the latest firmware `X205XXU1AVC1/X205ODM1AVF2/X205XXU1AVC2` Thanks for the help buddy. btw I m using SM-X205. Many people might be having issues with same, This should be the best fix. the trick lies while using the software for compressing to .tar
    okay ill do a quick recap.

Step 1. unlock developers menu and check the "Allow OEM Unlock" option.
    Step 2. Unlock the bootloader by plugging the device into a computer while turned off and holding both power buttons down so it will enter the download mode screen. once on screen hold volume up to start the bootloader unlock process. once done tablet will automatically factory reset.
    Step 3. Download the latest stock firmware AND INSTALL it using ODIN 3.13 or 3.14. Then use 7zip to extract the boot.img from the AP file. ( click the firmware file you downloaded which will be a .Zip file. Click extract here. open firmware folders until you find the 4 firmware flash files. AP.tar.mp5, BL.tar.mp5, CSC.tar.mp5, and CSC_Home.tar.mp5. ONLY extract the AP file for boot.img. And install firmware using the CSC file and ignore the CSC_home one.)

Step 3.5. Almost forgot something very important... After you have installed the newest firmware you need to allow the device to fully boot into the OS and complete the beginning setup for android. YOU NEED A WIFI CONNECTION for this or make sure you connect after the setup completes. Unlock the developers menu again. (MUST DO!!!) And make sure the option for OEM_Unlock is still selected. it should be greyed out. This option will not exist if you do not have a wifi connection and the tablet is only unlocked halfway which will cause an ODIN error when you try to flash the patched boot.tar and disabled VBMeta.img files to the tablet. MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS AFTER FLASHING NEW FIRMWARE AND BEFORE FLASHING PATCHED FILES!!!!!

Step 4. copy the extracted boot.img file to the tablet and install Magisk 25.1 or better. Have magisk patch the boot.img file. It will put the new patched boot.img file into the tablets download folder and call it something like [email protected]
    Step 5. Copy the new Magisk_Patched file thats in your downloads to your computer and rename it boot.img. Careful not to rename it in a location that already contains either the original or another devices boot.img file already or it will ask if you want to replace the original file and things can get messy that way...
    Step 6. using 7zip. right click the magisk patched boot.img file you just renamed and click the "Add to Archive" option. make sure the archive type says .Tar and hit ok. DO NOT CHANGE ANY OTHER OPTIONS!!! It will make a boot.tar file in the same location as your patched boot.img file.
    Step 7. Using ODIN 3.1.3 or 3.1.4 (Both worked fine for me) flash the new boot.tar file you just made to your X200 with it in the AP slot and the disabled VBMeta.img file in the Userdata slot. with the device in download mode. (refer to step 2 for download mode entry. just tap volume up to enter the actual download mode).
    Step 8. After the flashing is complete the device will reboot. you will need to reboot it into recovery and factory reset or just let it try to boot until it fails and gives the option to factory reset. either way... factory reset.
    Step 9. Enjoy Root :)
    Sorry. My quick recap was not a very quick one at all
    Hello guys. I failed several times rooting this device and finally managed to root.

You need to extract AP tar and then replace the boot.img with a magisk patched one.

You then need to re tar the file using 7zip and flash as normal.

AP CSC HOME CSC and BL
    If there's enough demand I'll write a proper guide. Also if soft bricked you need to press both volume buttons and plug in usb at right point on restart.
    I'm not sure why we need a third thread for this:

I still do not have root. What I did:

1. unlocked bootloader
    2. install magisk manager 24.3
    3. Download X200XXU1AVC1 from Samfw
    4. unzip the firmware
    5. Untar the AP tar file
    6. Extract boot.img, send to device, and patch with magisk 24.3. Patched boot is magisk_patched-24300-9Iez2.img
    7. Replace boot.img with the newly patched one (renamed to boot.img)
    8. Create a tar file from the AP folder using
    " tar -C AP_folder -cvf AP_patched.tar ."
    9. "adb reboot bootloader" to download mode
    10. open Odin v3.14.1 and add BL, HOME_CSC, and the AP_patched.tar
    9. Flash via Odin, exit download mode, enter stock recovery, factory reset

For some reason I can't get from download mode to recovery w/o first booting the fresh android.

No boot loop, but no root either.

cd AP_folder

Not sure if this helps but i read an article that says you should patch the whole AP tar file rather than extract just the boot.img. Maybe because it patches the recovery and super etc img files too? I havet tried this yet as I cant even get my bootloader unlocked
    Dunno where you read that, don't care. This works (as above):

1. unlocked bootloader
    2. install magisk manager 24.3
    3. Download X200XXU1AVC1 from Samfw
    4. unzip the firmware
    5. Untar the AP tar file
    6. Extract boot.img, send to device, and patch with magisk 24.3. Patched boot is magisk_patched-24300-9Iez2.img
    7. Replace boot.img with the newly patched one (renamed to boot.img)
    8. Create a tar file from the AP folder using
    " cd AP_folder"
    " tar -cvf AP_patched.tar ."
    9. "adb reboot bootloader" to download mode
    10. open Odin v3.14.1 and add BL, HOME_CSC, and the AP_patched.tar
    9. Flash via Odin, exit download mode, enter stock recovery, factory reset

Note the fixed "tar" command. Do not use "tar -C".