How to root starting from stock ROM 12.1.A.1.201

Search This thread

simon415

Jan 18, 2019
Hello,

I recently got a Sony Xperia SP which has never been rooted before. It has the original Sony ROM with build number 12.1.A.1.201. I would like to root this phone. I tried every tool I could find on this forum, amongst other the Doomlord toolkit and towelroot. However, none of these tools was able to give me root access according to root checker apps. It seems that with my current ROM, the exploits that these tools use have been patched. Flashing TWRP as recovery does not work: the command "fastboot flash recovery twrp.img" fails with a message "Partition not found".

Could you guys recommend a strategy to root this phone without bricking it? I was thinking to flash an older ROM, root it, and then update to the new ROM. However, I don't know where to find older ROMs for my phone. Also, how do I backup my current ROM if I cannot install TWRP first? Thanks for helping me out here!

Simon

Last edited:

simon415

Jan 18, 2019
Root with towel root and you need to unlock boot loader for recovery and custom roms

I'd like to, but as said before:
I tried every tool I could find on this forum, amongst other the Doomlord toolkit and towelroot. However, none of these tools was able to give me root access according to root checker apps. It seems that with my current ROM, the exploits that these tools use have been patched. Flashing TWRP as recovery does not work: the command "fastboot flash recovery twrp.img" fails with a message "Partition not found".