• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

how to root tab s6 [sm-t860]

Search This thread

rawaf

Jul 3, 2010
THANKS ITIS WORKING WITH ME
MY TAB S6 ( SM-T865 ) 4G 128GB

https://forum.xda-developers.com/tab-s5e/how-to/galaxy-tab-s5e-sm-t720-root-t3947806).

p_13440htkr0.jpg

Last edited:

TiTiB

Jun 19, 2015
Earth, for now
Thanks @ziotom2 thanks for sharing! Coming from the S5e this was familiar territory, although slightly different.

Speaking of the S5e here's a completely blatant advertising of my S5e debloat thread that AFAIK should also apply to the S6
https://forum.xda-developers.com/tab-s5e/how-to/samsung-galaxy-tab-s5e-debloat-root-info-t3935010

Also, FYI, I've been very happy with the paid Play Store app 'CCSWE App Manager (SAMSUNG)'. Of course using adb you can achieve same results. Lots of guides available on xda.

Reactions: pierro78

ianmacd

Jan 5, 2016
Amsterdam
localhost
How can this work on our tab s6, when they all use qualcomm processors, not exynos??

It doesn't matter what the processor is. It matters whether the bootloader is unlockable, and it always is on the Tab Sx. I've been rooting these devices for years.

I'm also working on TWRP for this device, but I'm having a hard time getting a custom kernel to boot this machine.

ChrisDos

Sep 5, 2009
Denver
Root happiness

So very nice to find out a way to have root on this new tablet. I came from a Tab S 10.5 running LineageOS, so a refreshing upgrade to say the least.

Tried removing Bixby using Titanium and it caused the tablet to not to be able to boot and hang on the "Samsung" logo. So I restored the magisk_patched file using ODIN and I hoping it would not erase the hours I already had into it, but it did. I skipped the step to reset back to factory defaults and I ran out of space on the device when doing my restore. So I'm wondering, does this have some kind of A/B partition scheme like the Pixel phones? So I did the factory erase in recovery and it freed up the space. So now I'm currently doing my Internal storage restore and then my Titanium restore after that.

So how to I install Samsung updates now? Do I have to use ODIN and have it erase everything each time?

Also hoping to use LineageOS 16.0 or another custom rom so I can get rid of this Samsung version of Android.

ChrisDos

Sep 5, 2009
Denver
Also hoping to use LineageOS 16.0 or another custom rom so I can get rid of this Samsung version of Android.

I bought the keyboard and I just hooked it up and I see that Dex turns the tablet into something like a Chrome like experience. That could make it very nice to take with me to do the occasional emergency IT work when I don't want to lug around my Thinkpad P70 workstation. I assume Dex is only part of the Samsung version of Android. If that is the case, then I may have to stick with just rooting the Samsung ROM. So I still need to figure out how to do updates then.

Nov 21, 2016
Hi there,

Has anybody an idea why the bootloader unlocking isn't working with my sm-865?

I've checked OEM unlocking but the volume-UP button does nothing, when I press it. I've tried multiple durations from a few to 30 seconds

darkstego

Oct 24, 2010
Do you need to load the recovery partition after every reboot of the device? I think the rooting is complete but I can't seem to boot from recovery partition. If I hold the volume up for any period of time it goes into recovery.

Last edited:

ziotom2

Jul 22, 2008
Milano
Reading thru the root procedures for S5e and noticed some issues reported where wifi stops and magisk/root is not enabled till after another reboot. Does the S6 exhibit the same issues/behavior after rooting?
on new models, by booting, you have to switch on the device with on+vol up to start the recovery partition (not the actual recovery) in order to load magisk stored in such place. if you boot just with the on button, magisk is not loaded (thus not root on session). the secure storage of bluetooth and wifi connections are reset. So you have just to take care of each bootstrap.
by me no issues at all.

Inviato dal mio SM-N975F utilizzando Tapatalk

Reactions: TiTiB

cbb77

Nov 28, 2010
Massachusetts
OnePlus 6
OnePlus 8T
on new models, by booting, you have to switch on the device with on+vol up to start the recovery partition (not the actual recovery) in order to load magisk stored in such place. if you boot just with the on button, magisk is not loaded (thus not root on session). the secure storage of bluetooth and wifi connections are reset. So you have just to take care of each bootstrap.
by me no issues at all.

Inviato dal mio SM-N975F utilizzando Tapatalk

Hmm, sounds like a pain to deal with, however I will admit that I didn't really reboot my S4 much, mainly just quick power off/standby mode. Thus let me ask to follow up questions if you don't mind.

1. I assume once you do power on accordingly, root sticks such that power offs, meaning standby and not a full power down, retains root reliably?

2. Similar with Bluetooth and wifi, do the bluetooth and wifi stay functioning after correcting it upon reboot, meaning they stay functioning after each resume from standby? This would be my biggest deterrant on rooting if this was constantly unstable.

Thanks

ziotom2

Jul 22, 2008
Milano
Hmm, sounds like a pain to deal with, however I will admit that I didn't really reboot my S4 much, mainly just quick power off/standby mode. Thus let me ask to follow up questions if you don't mind.

1. I assume once you do power on accordingly, root sticks such that power offs, meaning standby and not a full power down, retains root reliably?

2. Similar with Bluetooth and wifi, do the bluetooth and wifi stay functioning after correcting it upon reboot, meaning they stay functioning after each resume from standby? This would be my biggest deterrant on rooting if this was constantly unstable.

Thanks

1. confirm. root sticks.
2. I have no problems till now. You have just to ensure using the magisk module "libsecure_storage companion for rooted Samsung devices" to have the right retention. (this is necessary for note 10+. actually I didn't install in my tab s6 and my mouse and wifi is still sticking... so maybe is not necessary).

Reactions: deezid

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How can this work on our tab s6, when they all use qualcomm processors, not exynos??

It doesn't matter what the processor is. It matters whether the bootloader is unlockable, and it always is on the Tab Sx. I've been rooting these devices for years.

I'm also working on TWRP for this device, but I'm having a hard time getting a custom kernel to boot this machine.
    this guide works perfectly with sm-t860 (only root not custom recovery). in case you need....:D

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-10+/how-to/guide-how-to-root-note-10-t3960031
    I thought to include this in case someone else has the same problem and I hope I can prevent someone from pulling their hair out.

When I first flashing and rooted the Tab S6 I noticed after a couple hours/restarts Magisk was not longer installed, only Magisk manager remained. All root access was removed.

After reflashing rooted ROM (failing due to vbmeta aka RMM was triggered) --> flashing stock ROM followed by resetting it by changing clock to bypass 7 day OEM lock --> flashing back to rooted ROM again
    only for it to happen again. All in all wasted a good half of a day and was tempted to try again, this time trying TWRP method. I finally re-read the post and realized it stated

"Important :

Due to the fact that some devices no longer uses ramdisk in boot images, Magisk has no choice but to be installed in the recovery partition. For these devices, you will have to boot to recovery every time if you want Magisk. Since both Magisk and recovery lives in the same partition, what you actually end up getting when you choose to boot to recovery will be determined by how long you press volume up.
    (Powering up normally) → (System with NO Magisk)
    (OEM Recovery Key Combo) → (Splash screen) → (Release all buttons) → (System with Magisk)
    (OEM Recovery Key Combo) → (Splash screen) → (Keep pressing volume up) → (Actual recovery)"

Lo and behold, after holding down Bixby+Volume Up during boot and releasing recovered installed Magisk.
    I "wished" for a brand new thread, with a fool proof step by step instructions....please ! :D (As this thread is getting "scattered of info") :confused:

Thanks.. :fingers-crossed:

Just follow what post 5 said and follow the instructions for the tab S5e.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/tab-s5e/how-to/galaxy-tab-s5e-sm-t720-root-t3947806

I tried it yesterday and it worked perfectly. Use frija to download the latest firmware ASK1. You need to find your CSC code from the software info section of your device, or the last 3 characters of your full model number.

I can also confirm that magisk 20.1 works and you don't need to hold power + vol up when turning on.