• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

how to root tab s6 [sm-t860]

Search This thread

xQuantum

Mar 17, 2015
Will I lose the Widevine L1 if I root this tablet?
can anyone please install DRM info and check this?

I want to play Netflix with HD..

Extreemator

Jul 26, 2011
Good for you. Frija still says ASK1 is the latest for my device. I'm not flashing the firmware for another csc over my device's csc. People have posted that they lost functionality for doing that.
Only functionality i can think of if it's 865. I just told you thak ask1 not the latest and when people root they format anyway, so it doesn't matter. The csc is also doesn't matter, can be jumped off to another csc and firmware if it's not 865.

revized

May 30, 2009
united sins of america
Thanks for the cool info, might this work on S6 SM-T867? (sprint model)

Let me guess, if I can enable oem unlock and can flash 860 csc over 867?
I have not bought the tablet yet so don't know if oem unlock has any working option or not though

Last edited:
Reactions: pierro78

VeEuzUKY

Oct 10, 2008
I followed all the procedures of the OP, everything went well and then successfully flashed and all done. Finally after flashing and upon trying to restart into recovery, the Tab just gives me a continuing bootloop of the following message and completely refuses to go into recovery with the Volume up + Power Button combination (or any other mode actually). Also the Tab cannot be turned off because if I press Volume Down + Power, it auto starts again into the same error splash screen message. No idea what happened. What should I do?

Attachments

• 87294208_192248808544396_8292223144261844992_n.jpg
    87294208_192248808544396_8292223144261844992_n.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 154

fishmurder

Mar 4, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 SM-T860 WiFi USA version -recover from Bricking?

Were you able to find a fix to the stuck Samsung logo and inability to power it off completely?

I have the exact same problem with my USA version Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 SM-T860
I followed these instructions exactly EXCEPT that I flashed twrp-3.3.1-1-gts6lwifi.img.tar (official TWRP) instead of TWRP_T860_3.3.1-10P.tar (as shown in the instructions).

Prior to flashing TWRP here is what my tab looked like
adb shell getprop
[ril.manufacturedate]: [20190819]
[ril.product_code]: [SM-T860NZAAXAR]
[ril.reject_enabled]: [1]
[ro.boot.em.model]: [SM-T860]
[ro.boot.flash.locked]: [1]
[ro.boot.sales_code]: [XAR]
[ro.boot.sec_atd.tty]: [/dev/ttyHS8]
[ro.csc.country_code]: [USA]
[ro.csc.countryiso_code]: [US]
[ro.csc.omcnw_code]: [XAR]
[ro.csc.sales_code]: [XAR]
[ro.vendor.product.cpu.abilist]: [arm64-v8a,armeabi-v7a,armeabi]
[ro.vendor.product.cpu.abilist32]: [armeabi-v7a,armeabi]
[ro.vendor.product.cpu.abilist64]: [arm64-v8a]

I followed all the procedures of the OP, everything went well and then successfully flashed and all done. Finally after flashing and upon trying to restart into recovery, the Tab just gives me a continuing bootloop of the following message and completely refuses to go into recovery with the Volume up + Power Button combination (or any other mode actually). Also the Tab cannot be turned off because if I press Volume Down + Power, it auto starts again into the same error splash screen message. No idea what happened. What should I do?

VeEuzUKY

Oct 10, 2008
Were you able to find a fix to the stuck Samsung logo and inability to power it off completely?

I have the exact same problem with my USA version Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 SM-T860
I followed these instructions exactly EXCEPT that I flashed twrp-3.3.1-1-gts6lwifi.img.tar (official TWRP) instead of TWRP_T860_3.3.1-10P.tar (as shown in the instructions).

Prior to flashing TWRP here is what my tab looked like
adb shell getprop
[ril.manufacturedate]: [20190819]
[ril.product_code]: [SM-T860NZAAXAR]
[ril.reject_enabled]: [1]
[ro.boot.em.model]: [SM-T860]
[ro.boot.flash.locked]: [1]
[ro.boot.sales_code]: [XAR]
[ro.boot.sec_atd.tty]: [/dev/ttyHS8]
[ro.csc.country_code]: [USA]
[ro.csc.countryiso_code]: [US]
[ro.csc.omcnw_code]: [XAR]
[ro.csc.sales_code]: [XAR]
[ro.vendor.product.cpu.abilist]: [arm64-v8a,armeabi-v7a,armeabi]
[ro.vendor.product.cpu.abilist32]: [armeabi-v7a,armeabi]
[ro.vendor.product.cpu.abilist64]: [arm64-v8a]
The TWRP version doesn't matter as I did exactly the opposite of you and got stuck the same.. you flashed twrp-3.3.1-1-gts6lwifi.img.tar (official TWRP) instead of TWRP_T860_3.3.1-10P.tar and I flashed the P one.. same same. I could never get it to work again or even get back into recovery or download mode and had to take it to Samsung for an off-warranty paid repair. I keep insisting there is something very strange going on with some of these Tablets.. even of the guides are followed exactly step-by-step, this keeps happening to a few users. I am yet to find a fix and given up trying to get custom recovery or root flashed.

But if course, your mileage may vary and you might get luckier than me and still at least be able to get into download mode again. My suggestion to you is, first let the battery die completely. When you have no more power, connect it to your PC's USB with the Volume Up + Down so you go into download mode. If it works, the first thing you need to do is relock the bootloader. Then let it try to restart and do it's thing, a d re-enter download mode to flash stock.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

justheretohelp

Mar 5, 2020
I thought to include this in case someone else has the same problem and I hope I can prevent someone from pulling their hair out.

When I first flashing and rooted the Tab S6 I noticed after a couple hours/restarts Magisk was not longer installed, only Magisk manager remained. All root access was removed.

After reflashing rooted ROM (failing due to vbmeta aka RMM was triggered) --> flashing stock ROM followed by resetting it by changing clock to bypass 7 day OEM lock --> flashing back to rooted ROM again
only for it to happen again. All in all wasted a good half of a day and was tempted to try again, this time trying TWRP method. I finally re-read the post and realized it stated

"Important :

Due to the fact that some devices no longer uses ramdisk in boot images, Magisk has no choice but to be installed in the recovery partition. For these devices, you will have to boot to recovery every time if you want Magisk. Since both Magisk and recovery lives in the same partition, what you actually end up getting when you choose to boot to recovery will be determined by how long you press volume up.
(Powering up normally) → (System with NO Magisk)
(OEM Recovery Key Combo) → (Splash screen) → (Release all buttons) → (System with Magisk)
(OEM Recovery Key Combo) → (Splash screen) → (Keep pressing volume up) → (Actual recovery)"

Lo and behold, after holding down Bixby+Volume Up during boot and releasing recovered installed Magisk.

Reactions: pierro78 and DHGE

VeEuzUKY

Oct 10, 2008
I thought to include this in case someone else has the same problem and I hope I can prevent someone from pulling their hair out.

When I first flashing and rooted the Tab S6 I noticed after a couple hours/restarts Magisk was not longer installed, only Magisk manager remained. All root access was removed.

After reflashing rooted ROM (failing due to vbmeta aka RMM was triggered) --> flashing stock ROM followed by resetting it by changing clock to bypass 7 day OEM lock --> flashing back to rooted ROM again
only for it to happen again. All in all wasted a good half of a day and was tempted to try again, this time trying TWRP method. I finally re-read the post and realized it stated

"Important :

Due to the fact that some devices no longer uses ramdisk in boot images, Magisk has no choice but to be installed in the recovery partition. For these devices, you will have to boot to recovery every time if you want Magisk. Since both Magisk and recovery lives in the same partition, what you actually end up getting when you choose to boot to recovery will be determined by how long you press volume up.
(OEM Recovery Key Combo) → (Splash screen) → (Release all buttons) → (System with Magisk)
(OEM Recovery Key Combo) → (Splash screen) → (Keep pressing volume up) → (Actual recovery)"

Lo and behold, after holding down Bixby+Volume Up during boot and releasing recovered installed Magisk.

How do you boot into system by holding down Bixby+Volume Up during boot?.. and by Bixby you mean the power button as the S6 does not have a dedicated Bixby button.

Usually (always) holding down Bixby+Volume Up during boot will get you into recovery. If you boot into system with this sequence, then how do you go into recovery?

The longer pressing option didn't work for me in the past and I instantly got the vbmeta loading error triggered followed by getting the tab bricked and having to relock the bootloader and re-flashing stock all over again to get out of it. This Tab is the greatest BS pain in the ass I have ever experienced in any Samsung's device.

Last edited:

eclifox

Nov 24, 2010
Sydney
FYI don't mind the different name, still the same person but I found my old account.

How do you boot into system by holding down Bixby+Volume Up during boot?.. and by Bixby you mean the power button as the S6 does not have a dedicated Bixby button.

Usually (always) holding down Bixby+Volume Up during boot will get you into recovery. If you boot into system with this sequence, then how do you go into recovery?

Sure the power button if you will, the one above the volume buttons. On my device that button is bound to bixby and to shutdown/restart I have to hold that button+Volume down.
Nevertheless, like it says hold it down until you see the splash screen then release and you'll be fine, if you keep on holding you'll reach recovery

The longer pressing option didn't work for me in the past and I instantly got the vbmeta loading error triggered followed by getting the tab bricked and having to relock the bootloader and re-flashing stock all over again to get out of it.

Not sure what you mean by "longer pressing option" but when I had the vbmeta lock I first installed stock, change date 7 days in the future, clicked on update(must do, even if it is the latest firmware otherwise lock will stay). Then redo what I did before aka the guide on pg 1.
FYI You shouldn't need to relock bootloader.

This Tab is the greatest BS pain in the ass I have ever experienced in any Samsung's device.
I can't imagine the headache when android 10 comes along and I need to update

VeEuzUKY

Oct 10, 2008
eclifox, thanks for the reply. Without relocking the bootloader, ODIN refused to re-flash stock ROM, would fail instantly.

As for Android 10 (a useless update anyway) we will be doomed. Best is not to update at all and hang on to the Tab S6 with Android 9 till the S7 is out by year's end or next year and hopefully being a little bit less temperamental to modify.. for sure a fat chance since Samsung is on a quest to make things exponentially more impossible with each new hardware released. Android is becoming like IOS and all the brands like Apple. The fun is almost all gone and I have even started to contemplate making my aging (and secondary) iPhone X again my main device, sidelining Android. I'm slowly getting over these headaches and the lack of flexibility and openness that once Android enjoyed both at hardware and software side of things.

revized

May 30, 2009
united sins of america
I totally agree,EXCEPT personally could never be a 1 button apple man. Probably HTC or moto international models for sure. D

time to move on from any SPAMSUNG devices PERMANENTLY. Because spammy is a big time failure for sure

How to root Tab S6? Just simply, this device has had officially got supported in TWRP, just download the latest recovery there, then flash using Fastboot and ADB commands, by having flashed TWRP you should mostly rm -rf your stock ROM then pick an arbitrary GSI, finally get your device rooted inside your GSI-based ROM. :)
And good news here, i’m going to order one :)

Last edited:
Reactions: pierro78

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How can this work on our tab s6, when they all use qualcomm processors, not exynos??

It doesn't matter what the processor is. It matters whether the bootloader is unlockable, and it always is on the Tab Sx. I've been rooting these devices for years.

I'm also working on TWRP for this device, but I'm having a hard time getting a custom kernel to boot this machine.
    this guide works perfectly with sm-t860 (only root not custom recovery). in case you need....:D

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-10+/how-to/guide-how-to-root-note-10-t3960031

"Important :

I "wished" for a brand new thread, with a fool proof step by step instructions....please ! :D (As this thread is getting "scattered of info") :confused:

Thanks.. :fingers-crossed:

Just follow what post 5 said and follow the instructions for the tab S5e.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/tab-s5e/how-to/galaxy-tab-s5e-sm-t720-root-t3947806

I tried it yesterday and it worked perfectly. Use frija to download the latest firmware ASK1. You need to find your CSC code from the software info section of your device, or the last 3 characters of your full model number.

I can also confirm that magisk 20.1 works and you don't need to hold power + vol up when turning on.