• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

how to root tab s6 [sm-t860]

Search This thread

arsMachete

Mar 31, 2020
SM-t867v

So Reading this thread looks like people have used 2 different versions. My Tab s6 is Sm-867v which method would be best to try to root it as well as will it even work?
thank you for any and all help received.

MadusDogusUK

Apr 30, 2019
I have a SM-T860 version and going round in circles. I can't understand why a dedicated guide can't be put together for the Galaxy Tab S6 instead of having to use a Galaxy Note or Tab 5s guide.

Frustrated isn't the word... I had to walk away from my PC earlier before I had a mental breakdown. I honestly could cry almost. The world's stuck indoors and the ones that have achieved what we wish to emulate are nowhere to be seen to help with assistance.

So deflating :(

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

Reactions: tensux

doggydog2

Jul 2, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S10
OnePlus 8 Pro
so i've got this device day before it ramped price by 150$.
i'm strictly rooting all mobile phones to clean up home calling of apps as they send identifiable user information like SIM card number (equals phone number), device id (equals your home address via bill), mac addresses of all devices etc. now this device will be pretty isolated, only at home, without location, without LTE, so i think about leaving it unrooted as i know how difficult it will be to get kid apps, theme apps, samsung appstore on this device where i'd actually use it.
  1. the question is, does this retain magisk after shutdown? .......normally it should. that's what i experienced each time with sammy 2018+ and what people report sometimes.. this is the single most important lifesaver in era of samsung weird root. no basic user would press the combination of keys, of course. i never needed to !, and neither after restart thanks to an xposed plugin.
  2. can i root and keep encryption? .......i'd say yes if i don't install custom ROM, TWRP and yes i am ok to just root. Multidisabler is my enemy:)

Last edited:

MadusDogusUK

Apr 30, 2019
I have managed to root my SM-T860 UK tab using the S5e method, it does keep root but you need to help power and volume up until the Samsung screen that states the device isn't running on official firmware (not the 'the bootloader is unlocked screen).

Encryption I can't tell you, I'm happy to have a look if someone tells me how do I check.

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Reactions: pierro78

doggydog2

Jul 2, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S10
OnePlus 8 Pro
I have managed to root my SM-T860 UK tab using the S5e method, it does keep root but you need to help power and volume up until the Samsung screen that states the device isn't running on official firmware (not the 'the bootloader is unlocked screen).

Encryption I can't tell you, I'm happy to have a look if someone tells me how do I check.
but did you ever try to shutdown (or battery died) and start without keys? that's where i expect root to STAY..
encryption is in Security\Encruption&Credentials or something like that, but it can lie, best is to launch TWRP and see it either it sees encoded filenames or asks for a password if encryption is ON, or lets you see the files if it's OFF.

MadusDogusUK

Apr 30, 2019
So Reading this thread looks like people have used 2 different versions. My Tab s6 is Sm-867v which method would be best to try to root it as well as will it even work?
thank you for any and all help received.

How to root Tab S6? Just simply, this device has had officially got supported in TWRP, just download the latest recovery there, then flash using Fastboot and ADB commands, by having flashed TWRP you should mostly rm -rf your stock ROM then pick an arbitrary GSI, finally get your device rooted inside your GSI-based ROM. :)
And good news here, i’m going to order one :)

but did you ever try to shutdown (or battery died) and start without keys? that's where i expect root to STAY..
encryption is in Security\Encruption&Credentials or something like that, but it can lie, best is to launch TWRP and see it either it sees encoded filenames or asks for a password if encryption is ON, or lets you see the files if it's OFF.

I haven't installed TWRP and root permissions are not loaded if I don't hold both power and volume up until the red warning screen.

Sorry if I'm repeating myself and not being very helpful with my replies. If I can answer a question you have please ask (again?) and I'll try and be useful with my replies. :)

doggydog2

Jul 2, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S10
OnePlus 8 Pro
I haven't installed TWRP and root permissions are not loaded if I don't hold both power and volume up until the red warning screen.
thanks for confirmation! that's sad to hear as i want to share the tablet with family, and they will not press the button combination.. so i have to stay without root somehow, or with VMOS/VirtualXposed/Taichi but they don't work well.

MadusDogusUK

Apr 30, 2019
thanks for confirmation! that's sad to hear as i want to share the tablet with family, and they will not press the button combination.. so i have to stay without root somehow, or with VMOS/VirtualXposed/Taichi but they don't work well.
I think I read somewhere there's a way to make it boot with Magisk loaded automatically, I'll have a look around and if I find it I'll post the fix here.

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Reactions: REAL6

bigjun913

Feb 1, 2015
need help

i rooted using guide. i have android 10. it rooted perfectly. only problem can't install apps from google. it states two different message. first need external sd to install apps. have internal 100gb free and external 400 gb free. 2nd error can't install app on this device.

Reactions: pierro78

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How can this work on our tab s6, when they all use qualcomm processors, not exynos??

It doesn't matter what the processor is. It matters whether the bootloader is unlockable, and it always is on the Tab Sx. I've been rooting these devices for years.

I'm also working on TWRP for this device, but I'm having a hard time getting a custom kernel to boot this machine.
    this guide works perfectly with sm-t860 (only root not custom recovery). in case you need....:D

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-10+/how-to/guide-how-to-root-note-10-t3960031
    THANKS ITIS WORKING WITH ME
    MY TAB S6 ( SM-T865 ) 4G 128GB

https://forum.xda-developers.com/tab-s5e/how-to/galaxy-tab-s5e-sm-t720-root-t3947806).

p_13440htkr0.jpg
    I thought to include this in case someone else has the same problem and I hope I can prevent someone from pulling their hair out.

When I first flashing and rooted the Tab S6 I noticed after a couple hours/restarts Magisk was not longer installed, only Magisk manager remained. All root access was removed.

After reflashing rooted ROM (failing due to vbmeta aka RMM was triggered) --> flashing stock ROM followed by resetting it by changing clock to bypass 7 day OEM lock --> flashing back to rooted ROM again
    only for it to happen again. All in all wasted a good half of a day and was tempted to try again, this time trying TWRP method. I finally re-read the post and realized it stated

"Important :

Due to the fact that some devices no longer uses ramdisk in boot images, Magisk has no choice but to be installed in the recovery partition. For these devices, you will have to boot to recovery every time if you want Magisk. Since both Magisk and recovery lives in the same partition, what you actually end up getting when you choose to boot to recovery will be determined by how long you press volume up.
    (Powering up normally) → (System with NO Magisk)
    (OEM Recovery Key Combo) → (Splash screen) → (Release all buttons) → (System with Magisk)
    (OEM Recovery Key Combo) → (Splash screen) → (Keep pressing volume up) → (Actual recovery)"

Lo and behold, after holding down Bixby+Volume Up during boot and releasing recovered installed Magisk.
    I "wished" for a brand new thread, with a fool proof step by step instructions....please ! :D (As this thread is getting "scattered of info") :confused:

Thanks.. :fingers-crossed:

Just follow what post 5 said and follow the instructions for the tab S5e.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/tab-s5e/how-to/galaxy-tab-s5e-sm-t720-root-t3947806

I tried it yesterday and it worked perfectly. Use frija to download the latest firmware ASK1. You need to find your CSC code from the software info section of your device, or the last 3 characters of your full model number.

I can also confirm that magisk 20.1 works and you don't need to hold power + vol up when turning on.