• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

how to root tab s6 [sm-t860]

Search This thread

doggydog2

Jul 2, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S10
OnePlus 8 Pro
Rooting has tiny microscopic advantage for me ;)
i've rooted Samsung SPlus,Note2,Note3,S6,S7,S8,Note9,S10,Note20,Note20Ultra,Tab S4,Oneplus6T,7T,8Pro,Xiaomi Mi9,LGV30.. always within 1 hour after buying it (except Xiaomi wait queue slap in face). Can't stop, won't stop!
advantages:
* privacy, privacy, privacy, blocking apps from snitching your data, forcing discipline to lame users
* permanent debloating, repetitive, right after firmware update, unattended
* call recording in native app with luxury preview of recorded audio right there
* execute scripts at boot, or at runtime based on triggers (e.g. force DNS change on local WLAN, fantastic if you have same domains internally and externally ---> you never need to switch URLs like nzbdrone app does for you... how you even connect e.g. Synology apps without this?)
* real deep adblocking along with VPN, DNS hostname blocking is way too basic
* real backups with data, 1:1 image on new phone for 99% apps
* productive tools like 3C AllInOne, full transparency on system, easy troubleshooting
* swipe/edge UI functions of anything you can imagine, e.g. secret Pen mode, secret area select, Pie menus, keyboard extras like Undo/Redo, tons of gestures
* alternate repos Aurora,FDroid without typical nonroot hassle like you can't even instlall automatically
* sweet adfree and sponsorblockfree YT, YT Music
* UI tweaks <--- this was priority & motivation a decade ago, now it's least important

Reactions: TiTiB and pierro78

TiTiB

Jun 19, 2015
Earth, for now
Rooting has tiny microscopic advantage for me ;)
advantages:
* privacy, privacy, privacy, blocking apps from snitching your data, forcing discipline to lame users
[snip]
* permanent debloating, repetitive, right after firmware update, unattended
[snip]
I can delete system apps. Game Optimizer, which would not stay frozen, is my latest uninstall. So far I've either frozen uninstalled 148 packages. So, yeah...

Freedom to do what I want with *my* tablet, not what Google or Samsung wants me to do.

Reactions: doggydog2

Fr1day_13

Mar 10, 2021
Android Wear
Hello Everyone.
I just got my Galaxy Tab S6 T865 265GB/8GB LTE with Android 11
The benefits of rooting any android device are out of question for me, the only thing i am normally checking before rooting the device is what i will "loose" by doing so and for the Tab S6 all the Informations are wide spreaded and hard to find.
- Is there a way to root an android 11 tab s6 without loosing knox?
- are ota updates working? (found both answers here in the thread, yes they are and no they are not but both for an android version below 11)
- what functions / features will be gone?

doggydog2

Jul 2, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S10
OnePlus 8 Pro
Hello Everyone.
I just got my Galaxy Tab S6 T865 265GB/8GB LTE with Android 11
The benefits of rooting any android device are out of question for me, the only thing i am normally checking before rooting the device is what i will "loose" by doing so and for the Tab S6 all the Informations are wide spreaded and hard to find.
- Is there a way to root an android 11 tab s6 without loosing knox?
- are ota updates working? (found both answers here in the thread, yes they are and no they are not but both for an android version below 11)
- what functions / features will be gone?
- no and knox trip isnt something visible, who still cares about it? its purpose is to scare people out of rooting. let's trip it proudly:)
- no OTA, i just keep years old build tbh.. only OnePlus has root OTA
- just some samsung pay and corporate bs. nothing relevant

Reactions: TiTiB

Fr1day_13

Mar 10, 2021
Android Wear
the only thing about knox is that someone should mention a triggered know when reselling the tablet and the people dont understand it and avoiding buying it ;D

So its just a myth that rooting without twrp keeps the efuse alive, just read it before in a galaxy note thread.
Samsung Pass is not working after rooting, some people complaining about that, and i dont even know what that is Oo

The only thing i would care about is if the Widevine Level is still at L1, and my conclusion was that you are still able to watch netflix in HD (so L1 is still there) and HDR is working - but some people say you get thrown back to L3 and Netflix is working but wont play in HD - its a myth too, right?

But as i am using the tablet at home most of the time and running a good pihole setup i will first try to debloat my tab s6 without root and will decide it sometimes in the future.
but it feels awkweard without afwall, adaway, titanium backup etc.

bartleby999

Jan 5, 2015
the only thing about knox is that someone should mention a triggered know when reselling the tablet and the people dont understand it and avoiding buying it ;D

So its just a myth that rooting without twrp keeps the efuse alive, just read it before in a galaxy note thread.
Samsung Pass is not working after rooting, some people complaining about that, and i dont even know what that is Oo

The only thing i would care about is if the Widevine Level is still at L1, and my conclusion was that you are still able to watch netflix in HD (so L1 is still there) and HDR is working - but some people say you get thrown back to L3 and Netflix is working but wont play in HD - its a myth too, right?

But as i am using the tablet at home most of the time and running a good pihole setup i will first try to debloat my tab s6 without root and will decide it sometimes in the future.
but it feels awkweard without afwall, adaway, titanium backup etc.

Widevine is L1 after rooting. HDR is still available after rooting.

Samsung Pass is used for storing your personal information. I can't say if it works after root because I don't save addresses, passwords and such on my tab. I can confirm that biometrics still work though so you can lock/unlock with your fingerprint.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How can this work on our tab s6, when they all use qualcomm processors, not exynos??

It doesn't matter what the processor is. It matters whether the bootloader is unlockable, and it always is on the Tab Sx. I've been rooting these devices for years.

I'm also working on TWRP for this device, but I'm having a hard time getting a custom kernel to boot this machine.
    this guide works perfectly with sm-t860 (only root not custom recovery). in case you need....:D

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-10+/how-to/guide-how-to-root-note-10-t3960031
    THANKS ITIS WORKING WITH ME
    MY TAB S6 ( SM-T865 ) 4G 128GB

https://forum.xda-developers.com/tab-s5e/how-to/galaxy-tab-s5e-sm-t720-root-t3947806).

p_13440htkr0.jpg
    I thought to include this in case someone else has the same problem and I hope I can prevent someone from pulling their hair out.

When I first flashing and rooted the Tab S6 I noticed after a couple hours/restarts Magisk was not longer installed, only Magisk manager remained. All root access was removed.

After reflashing rooted ROM (failing due to vbmeta aka RMM was triggered) --> flashing stock ROM followed by resetting it by changing clock to bypass 7 day OEM lock --> flashing back to rooted ROM again
    only for it to happen again. All in all wasted a good half of a day and was tempted to try again, this time trying TWRP method. I finally re-read the post and realized it stated

"Important :

Due to the fact that some devices no longer uses ramdisk in boot images, Magisk has no choice but to be installed in the recovery partition. For these devices, you will have to boot to recovery every time if you want Magisk. Since both Magisk and recovery lives in the same partition, what you actually end up getting when you choose to boot to recovery will be determined by how long you press volume up.
    (Powering up normally) → (System with NO Magisk)
    (OEM Recovery Key Combo) → (Splash screen) → (Release all buttons) → (System with Magisk)
    (OEM Recovery Key Combo) → (Splash screen) → (Keep pressing volume up) → (Actual recovery)"

Lo and behold, after holding down Bixby+Volume Up during boot and releasing recovered installed Magisk.
    I "wished" for a brand new thread, with a fool proof step by step instructions....please ! :D (As this thread is getting "scattered of info") :confused:

Thanks.. :fingers-crossed:

Just follow what post 5 said and follow the instructions for the tab S5e.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/tab-s5e/how-to/galaxy-tab-s5e-sm-t720-root-t3947806

I tried it yesterday and it worked perfectly. Use frija to download the latest firmware ASK1. You need to find your CSC code from the software info section of your device, or the last 3 characters of your full model number.

I can also confirm that magisk 20.1 works and you don't need to hold power + vol up when turning on.