How to root the Amazon Fire TV 2 box running latest software version 5.2.6.8

Search This thread

urbanman2004

Sep 16, 2013
Rock Town
I can confirm that this process works on Update v5.2.6.8. Any other version beyond that your mileage may vary. "ADB debugging" and "Apps from Unknown Sources" should be enabled. I would like to thank the following members because without their resources this walkthrough wouldn't have been possible: @diplomatic for the exploit, @el7145 for leaving a cookie crumb trail of clues within his comments in this thread which I had to follow like the yellow brick road in order to repeat his success, @rbox for the custom recovery and pre-rooted image, and @AFTVnews.com because if it hadn't been for your article I probably would've never gotten my AFTV device rooted in time before the 5.2.6.9 OTA update. Oh, I almost forgot... and thanks @Chainfire for SuperSU ;). And also @teamfresno for the advice.

ACHIEVING TEMPORARY ROOT PERMISSIONS
1. Download and install ADB on your PC.
2. Download "mtk-su_r4.zip" and extract "arm64" folder in ADB install directory (C:\adb).
3. Run command below:
Code:
adb connect 192.168.0.XX
(IP address of your Fire TV device)
4. Transfer mtk-su to your /data/local/tmp folder:
Code:
adb push C:/adb/arm64/mtk-su /data/local/tmp/
5. Open an adb shell:
Code:
adb shell
6. Change to your tmp directory:
Code:
cd /data/local/tmp
7. Add executable permissions to the binary:
Code:
chmod 755 mtk-su
8. Run the exploit:
Code:
./mtk-su
NOTE – The following line should display:
New UID/GID: 0/e
9. Ensure that mtk-su succeeded in setting selinux to permissive by typing the following command:
Code:
getenforce

INSTALLING TWRP & SLOANE
1. Download rbox's TWRP custom recovery and the latest pre-rooted ROM from your PC and copy it to the root of a USB stick [or microSD card].
2. Connect the USB stick [or microSD] to your AFTV2.
3. Change to USB Storage directory:
Code:
cd /storage/usbotg/
NOTE – If recovery is on microSD
Code:
cd /storage/sdcard1
4. Run the zip file. This will automatically run SU:
Code:
sh /storage/usbotg/firetv2_recovery_v7.zip
If recovery is on microSD
Code:
sh /storage/sdcard1/firetv2_recovery_v7.zip
NOTE – It should print out a following lines:
Extracting unzip...
Remounting /system read-write...
Extracting...
Remounting /system read-only...
5. Reboot to Recovery:
Ctrl+C (closes out previously ran script)
Code:
adb reboot recovery
6. Your AFTV2 should reboot to a black screen displaying the Amazon logo, followed by a prompt stating that the device will automatically restart, but if not to unplug then re-plug the power source. It will not automatically restart, but DO NOT unplug the device yet.
KAbxGiTl.jpg

7. If you copied the recovery and ROM onto a USB stick then you will need to disconnect it from the AFTV2, and connect a USB hub with at least 2 ports to the AFTV2, and connect both a USB keyboard and the USB stick to the hub at this time. If you copied the recovery and ROM onto a microSD then connect a keyboard to the empty USB port at this time.
8. Now unplug then re-plug the power source and you will be presented with the TWRP splash screen.
9. At the boot menu, press the RIGHT arrow key on the USB keyboard to boot into TWRP recovery.
NOTE – whatever you do DON'T let your AFTV2 idle for too long on the initial recovery boot menu screen or it will time out thus restarting, requiring you to repeat the prior steps.
10. Use the arrow keys to select the "Install" in TWRP.
11. "Select Storage", and choose the location where you stored the pre-rooted ROM.
12. Select "Swipe to Confirm Flash" to start the installation.
Xcxq6rCl.jpg

13. Select "Reboot System" once the file has finished installing in order to restart the AFTV2.
8CADuQ2l.jpg

VfaSysnl.jpg

For those feeling a little adventurous/ambitious then feel free to follow this guide created by @g422 as he discuses where to go from here by delving into other avenues to truly tap into the power of your AFTV2 such as what's "Xposed" and the benefits it offers for rooting your device, and also how to backup your current Fire OS install using TWRP.

Also shouts out to @PhoenixMark who created a guide for Mac users based on my write-up as how to enable root here.

Last edited:

b0ricuaguerrero

Sep 30, 2007
brooklyn, N.Y
Thanks for this! can't wait till I get home and finish the process with your guide. Other guides had my head spinning. Achieved temp root but no mention of pushing super su.

huffmybrd

Jul 16, 2009
Oh wow, looks like that exploit spread like wildfire!!

Wonder if anybody will see if this works for the firestickv2 (I don't trust myself to crack the case of mine open lol)

Krog18

Apr 3, 2016
Akron
Thank you for putting this guide together! Also thanks to @rbox for twrp and the rom!Finally got root on my Fire TV 2!20190307_181843.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G9650 using Tapatalk

salsoul

Jun 13, 2015
London
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
worked flawlessly on Amazon fire tv 2, the only thing i would say about the instruction for me was that usbotg was not recognised I only had sdcard0 (int storage) sdcard1 (sd card) apart from that great job thank you

ps there was an update waiting to install from amazon which i blocked, perhaps they are patching already

urbanman2004

Sep 16, 2013
Rock Town
worked flawlessly on Amazon fire tv 2, the only thing i would say about the instruction for me was that usbotg was not recognised I only had sdcard0 (int storage) sdcard1 (sd card) apart from that great job thank you

ps there was an update waiting to install from amazon which i blocked, perhaps they are patching already

I tried both ways, with the microSD and USB so I know it works if you followed what was stated in the instructions to the T... I know that when I attempted the USB option the first time, I had forgot to plug the USB stick in which made it show up as USB (0) which is only logical explanation I can think of for what happened to you.

urbanman2004

Sep 16, 2013
Rock Town
This is fantastic work!!!
Do you know if root can be 'hidden' to Netflix app won't block it's use?

Thanks, and unfortunately, no. SuperSU is the component that enables root which can be detected by apps that disengage user functionality when they discover root is enabled. I attempted to install Magisk v18.1 to counteract this side effect, but failed miserably w/ the end result to the point that my AFTV2 does a constant boot loop as recounted here. Magisk would be the only option I'm aware of to make root 'hidden', but it's not worth it at the cost of turning your device into a boot looping paper weight.

n8wwd

Oct 25, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
True. Nothing like having a 'brick on a rope' so to speak. That's not a 'deal breaker' as I subscribe to IPTV services that out performs it anyway. Do you know if Hulu does the same as Netflix? The missus may take exception if it killed that...

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 AM ----------

I guess the main reason I'd want root access is to take all of the preloaded apps off for room, as well as have the ability to use the external storage within apps.

---------- Post added at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 AM ----------

well...I answered my own question..seems Hulu doesn't like it either...*sigh* Time to search for a box that can hide root so my wife won't blow a gasket....;)

Krog18

Apr 3, 2016
Akron
I've had no trouble with Netflix yet since I rooted this yesterday, but of course ymmv.

---------- Post added at 08:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 AM ----------

Thanks, and unfortunately, no. SuperSU is the component that enables root which can be detected by apps that disengage user functionality when they discover root is enabled. I attempted to install Magisk v18.1 to counteract this side effect, but failed miserably w/ the end result to the point that my AFTV2 does a constant boot loop as recounted here. Magisk would be the only option I'm aware of to make root 'hidden', but it's not worth it at the cost of turning your device into a boot looping paper weight.
Damn, sorry to hear that. I imagine what happened is the result of magisk patching the kernel on a locked bootloader. I hope you're able to get it fixed. Good luck to you!

urbanman2004

Sep 16, 2013
Rock Town
Damn, sorry to hear that. I imagine what happened is the result of magisk patching the kernel on a locked bootloader. I hope you're able to get it fixed. Good luck to you!

Thanks. You never know, somebody smart enough might actually come up with a tool capable of relieving my device from its eternal boot loop hell :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I can confirm that this process works on Update v5.2.6.8. Any other version beyond that your mileage may vary. "ADB debugging" and "Apps from Unknown Sources" should be enabled. I would like to thank the following members because without their resources this walkthrough wouldn't have been possible: @diplomatic for the exploit, @el7145 for leaving a cookie crumb trail of clues within his comments in this thread which I had to follow like the yellow brick road in order to repeat his success, @rbox for the custom recovery and pre-rooted image, and @AFTVnews.com because if it hadn't been for your article I probably would've never gotten my AFTV device rooted in time before the 5.2.6.9 OTA update. Oh, I almost forgot... and thanks @Chainfire for SuperSU ;). And also @teamfresno for the advice.

ACHIEVING TEMPORARY ROOT PERMISSIONS
    1. Download and install ADB on your PC.
    2. Download "mtk-su_r4.zip" and extract "arm64" folder in ADB install directory (C:\adb).
    3. Run command below:
    Code:
    adb connect 192.168.0.XX
    (IP address of your Fire TV device)
    4. Transfer mtk-su to your /data/local/tmp folder:
    Code:
    adb push C:/adb/arm64/mtk-su /data/local/tmp/
    5. Open an adb shell:
    Code:
    adb shell
    6. Change to your tmp directory:
    Code:
    cd /data/local/tmp
    7. Add executable permissions to the binary:
    Code:
    chmod 755 mtk-su
    8. Run the exploit:
    Code:
    ./mtk-su
    NOTE – The following line should display:
    New UID/GID: 0/e
    9. Ensure that mtk-su succeeded in setting selinux to permissive by typing the following command:
    Code:
    getenforce

INSTALLING TWRP & SLOANE
    1. Download rbox's TWRP custom recovery and the latest pre-rooted ROM from your PC and copy it to the root of a USB stick [or microSD card].
    2. Connect the USB stick [or microSD] to your AFTV2.
    3. Change to USB Storage directory:
    Code:
    cd /storage/usbotg/
    NOTE – If recovery is on microSD
    Code:
    cd /storage/sdcard1
    4. Run the zip file. This will automatically run SU:
    Code:
    sh /storage/usbotg/firetv2_recovery_v7.zip
    If recovery is on microSD
    Code:
    sh /storage/sdcard1/firetv2_recovery_v7.zip
    NOTE – It should print out a following lines:
    Extracting unzip...
    Remounting /system read-write...
    Extracting...
    Remounting /system read-only...
    5. Reboot to Recovery:
    Ctrl+C (closes out previously ran script)
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery
    6. Your AFTV2 should reboot to a black screen displaying the Amazon logo, followed by a prompt stating that the device will automatically restart, but if not to unplug then re-plug the power source. It will not automatically restart, but DO NOT unplug the device yet.
    KAbxGiTl.jpg

7. If you copied the recovery and ROM onto a USB stick then you will need to disconnect it from the AFTV2, and connect a USB hub with at least 2 ports to the AFTV2, and connect both a USB keyboard and the USB stick to the hub at this time. If you copied the recovery and ROM onto a microSD then connect a keyboard to the empty USB port at this time.
    8. Now unplug then re-plug the power source and you will be presented with the TWRP splash screen.
    9. At the boot menu, press the RIGHT arrow key on the USB keyboard to boot into TWRP recovery.
    NOTE – whatever you do DON'T let your AFTV2 idle for too long on the initial recovery boot menu screen or it will time out thus restarting, requiring you to repeat the prior steps.
    10. Use the arrow keys to select the "Install" in TWRP.
    11. "Select Storage", and choose the location where you stored the pre-rooted ROM.
    12. Select "Swipe to Confirm Flash" to start the installation.
    Xcxq6rCl.jpg

13. Select "Reboot System" once the file has finished installing in order to restart the AFTV2.
    8CADuQ2l.jpg

VfaSysnl.jpg

For those feeling a little adventurous/ambitious then feel free to follow this guide created by @g422 as he discuses where to go from here by delving into other avenues to truly tap into the power of your AFTV2 such as what's "Xposed" and the benefits it offers for rooting your device, and also how to backup your current Fire OS install using TWRP.

Also shouts out to @PhoenixMark who created a guide for Mac users based on my write-up as how to enable root here.
    Do not update FW to 5.2.7.0

Just a heads up, the new firmware that's being rolled out, 5.2.7.0, has a problem with mtk-su. If you want to keep the ability to use mtk-su on your Fire TV 2, turn off automatic updates somehow. If doing a manual update, at least keep the old boot image. There's strong reason to believe that Amazon has blocked mtk-su in this release. Spread the word...
    Interesting results. And what led you guys to believe that this is compatible with Fire TV stick or Fire TV 1?

Some posts in this thread talking about "got it working on fire TV", the fact that there is a 32 bit version of mtk-su, and someone having the same problem with a ftv 2 got me into thinking that its maybe possible.

To everybody that got fooled like me - it obviously won't ever work on FTV 1. Thanks anyway for the work, OP.
    Awesome guide! Thanks for the detailed write up.

I have an issue. After Step 8. ./mtk-su, I get this message - New UID/GID: 0/0. I think its not running the exploit for some reason. When I complete the other steps and reboot to recovery, I get the message adb: not found. I also checked getenforce and it says Permissive.

Any help here?

------

I dropped the adb part. Just enter "reboot recovery'.
    Oh wow, looks like that exploit spread like wildfire!!

Wonder if anybody will see if this works for the firestickv2 (I don't trust myself to crack the case of mine open lol)

It's worth looking into. Since I currently own one as well I'll see a/b performing these same instructions and post my findings at some point in time.